Skip to: Site menu | Main content

Loading

 History of Milwaukee Biographies

Nearly 4000 biographical sketches of pioneers and citizens
The Western Historical Company, Chicago
A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881
Milwaukee County Wisconsin Genealogy

Biographies

 

AUGUST EBERT

cost manufacture, No. 410 Sixteenth street, residence, No. 1725 Galena street, is a native of Prussia. In 1866 he came to Milwaukee, and, in 1875, he opened a shop and commenced the business. He was married, in 1876, to Anna Shoemaker. She was born in Prussia. They have two daughters.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1253

 

JOHN EGENDOERFER

JOHN EGENDOERFER, shoemaker, No. 702 Jackson street, was born in Bavaria, February 23, 1816. He came to Milwaukee in 1847, and commenced work at his trade in the shop where he still remains. He was married in 1842 in New York to Miss Bavery Dietz, also a native of Bavaria. They have five children--John, George, Mary, Margaretta and Phillip. They are members of St. Mary's Catholic Church.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1452

 

CARL EICHSTADT

Carl Eichstadt, boots and shoes, No. 693 Greenbush street. He is a native of New Stettin, Prussia; born December 3, 1839. He came to Milwaukee in 1868, and has been working at the boot and shoe trae since the age of 17 years. In 1870 he commenced business in his present location. He married Amelia Samrov in 1865; she was born in New Stettin, Prussia. They have three sons and one daughter.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1452

 

C. EISSFELDT & BRO.

importers and wholesale and retail dealers in crockery, glassware, silver-plated ware, cutlery, mirrors, etc., Nos. 418 and 420 East Water street. This house was established in 1853 at No. 262 West Water street by Chas. Eissfeldt, the senior member of the present firm. Business removed to No. 264. the same street in 1856, and to No. 7 Spring street the same year. Two years later the business was again moved to No. 280 East Water street, and from there in 1878 to the present location. Their importations are made principally from Germany, France and England. Their business aggregates $100,000 annually, and in its conduct gives employment to a home force of twelve and keeps three traveling salesman on the road. The members of the firm are Charles and Ferdinand Eissfeldt and Rudolph Laetsch.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1270

 

ANSON ELDRED

lumber dealer, came to Milwaukee from Detroit in 1842; opened a lumber yard on East Water street; afterwards changed the location of the yard to West Water street, on the present site of the Goodrich steamboat landing; his is now engaged in the lumber business at Fort Howard, Wis.; also at Stiles and Oconto, Oconto County, Wis. Residence, No. 2 Waverly place, Milwaukee.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1502

 

REV. F.C. ELDRED

present Pastor (of St. Mark's Episocpal Church) was born in the town of Petersburgh, Rensselaer County, New York, February 2, 1841. His father, Rev. S. J. Eldred, moved to the Territory of Wisconsin in the Winter of 1843-4 and located in the Town of Albury, Green County, where he still resides. In November, 1862, Mr. Eldred left college to join the Union army as a recruit in the Second Wisconsin Infantry. After serving over two years he was discharged for wounds received in the battles of the Wilderness, May 5, 1864. where he was also taken prisoner. IN September of the same year he had the good fortune to be exchanged. He prepared for the ministry and was ordained deacon in St. James' Church, this city, in June 1871, by Bishop Armitage and placed in charge of mission work at and around Mazomanie Dane County, Wis. In December, 1875, he resigned this field to attend lectures at Nashotah Theological Seminary. While at the seminary Mr. Eldred had charge of the parish at Columbus and the mission at Kilbourn City, at which places he officiated on alternate Sundays. Graduating in the class of 1875, he moved to Columbus and took charge of St. Mark's Church, Beaver Dam, and Christ Church, Fox Lake, in connection with St. Paul's Columbus. In June, 1879, he resigned this position to take charge of the Trinity Mission. See also St. Mark's Episcopal Church History.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 880

 

W. ELKERT & SON

W. Elkert & Son, manufacturer of russets and colored linings, overshoe and mitten stock, and dealers in sheep skins and wool, corner of Eighth and Center streets. The business was established in 1866 by W. Elkert, the senior partner. After a few years his son was admitted as a partner in the business. The firm has since been known as Elkert & Son. The principle line is tanning sheep and goat skins. They handle about 20,000 pelts annually.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1443

W. ELKERT, senior member of the firm of Elkert & Son, was born September 21, 1824, in Prussia. He came to America with his family and located in Chicago, where he worked two years at his trade. IN 1854 he came to Milwaukee and commenced work for H. Booth & Sons, where he remained until the war. He then enlisted, serving nine months. Returning, he established his business at No. 310 Canal street in 1866, and in 1870 moved his business to its present location. Mr. Elkert has four children. three of his sons are in the tannery, one is a partner.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1443

CHARLES ELKERT, junior partner in the firm of Elkert & Son, was born December 8, 1840, in Prussia. He came to America with his father, learning his trade in Milwaukee. He was married May 6, 1869. to Miss Louisa Gall. They have six children.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1443

 

LEMUEL ELLSWORTH

Lemuel Ellsworth, County Treasurer, was born in the town of Esopus, Ulster County, New Yolk, December 27, 1836. He was the son of Theophilus and Rachel Ellsworth. Young Ellsworth remained upon his father's farm until he was eighteen years of age. receiving, during the time, a good common school education. In 1857 he came to Wisconsin. and settled in Milwaukee. January 2, 1860, he was united in marriage with Miss Nellie L. Jones, daughter of B. B. Jones, the noted shipbuilder. Soon after Mr. Ellsworth engaged in the business of shipbuilding, the firm being Ellsworth & Davidson, They constructed several large lake vessels. among which were the bark '' Nelson," the ill-fated "Tanner," the schooners "Breed," "Waucoma," and many smaller craft, the plans of all of which were drafted by Mr. Ellsworth. In 1868 he sold his interest in the yard to W. H. Wolf, and engaged in the wrecking business, at which he was quite successful, saving much valuable property. He was elected in 1875 to represent the Seventh District in the Legislature, and was re-elected in 1876 by a largely increased majority. Previous to this, in 1873, Mr. Ellsworth had been elected to the responsible position of County Treasurer, and, in 1880, he was again elected to the same office. He is prominently connected with the Masonic fraternity, in the Chapter, Consistory and Commandery. Socially and politically, Mr. Ellsworth has many traits which commend him at all classes, and, as a consequence, he is possessed of hosts of friends. By his marriage, he has been blessed with four children.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1064

 

JOHN ELSER

proprietor of meat and provision market, and dealer in beef, ham, fish, poultry, wild fowl, and venison, market No. 463 EAst Water street. Mr. Elser came to this city in 1850, and established his present business in 1867. This business was for a long time carried on under the firm name of Elser & Manschott, but Mr. Elser has recently purchased the interest of Mr. Manschott and now conducts the business alone.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1231

 

JOHN ELSNER

proprietor of meat market at No. 557 Mitchell street, was born march 11, 1833, in Prussia. he came to Milwaukee in August, 1854, and worked for Plankinton and others. In 1872, he started his present business.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1231

 

ADAM ENGELHARDT

Adam Engelhardt, baker and confectioner, No. 587 third street is a native of Germany. In 1850 he came to Milwaukee and at once established himself in this business. He has been so engaged at this number the past twenty-eight years, the oldest confectioner in this part of the city. He has also been one of the most successful and owns this property and the other three dwellings adjoining. He married Miss Theresa Landgraf in 1853. she was born in Germany. they have three daughters.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1213

 

JOHN J. EBERHARD

JOHN J. EBERHARD, general agent for the Western Department of the New York City Fire Insurance Company, Notary Public and real estate agent, corner of Lloyd and Thirteenth streets. A native of Hanover, Germany; born March 30, 1816. He came to America and to Will County, Ill., in 1852, and was engaged there in farming. He was Notary Public in the Town of Frankfurt, that county, and passenger agent of the Hamburg Packet, Inman, and Cunard lines of steamers. He was also for several years Captain of the Northwestern Rifle Regiment at that place. In 1841 he was married to Miss Gerche Reischald. She died in November, 1874, aged 65 years, leaving five children, George, Sophia, Jane, John and Cena. He was married a second time in 1875 to Mrs. Sievers. She has two children by a former marriage, Henry and Sophia. Mr. Eberhard was Alderman one year from the Tenth Ward, elected in 1878.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1658

 

ALBERT ERDMAN

proprietor of meat market at No. 394 Scott street, was born in Pommern, Germany, October 31, 1852. He came to Milwaukee in 1870, and in 1875, commenced present business.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1231

 

CHRISTIAN ERNST

proprietor of wholesale and retail meat market, No. 54 Division street, was born in Germany. He came to America in 1852, and located at first in Chicago. A year later, he came here, and, in 1856, established his present business.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1231

 

ESPENHAIN & BARTELS

West Side dry goods bazaar, Nos. 321, 323 and 325 Third street, corner of Prairie; established November 17, 1878. This is a wholesale and retail business, the annual trade reaching $250,000. They carry a stock of about $80,000, and employ forty salesman.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1263

 

JOHN FARIN

JOHN FARIN, conductor, was born in New York City in 1850; came to Oshkosh, Wisconsin in 1857; in 1864 commenced work on the Chicago & Northwestern Railway as water-boy. Two years later he was employed as switchman in the Oshkosh yards; served in that capacity two years; and then given the position of brakeman on the passenger train between Oshkosh and Fort Howard. Served as brakeman and baggage-master till the Fall of 1873, when he changed to fireman on the Madison, Wisconsin and Kenosha Divisions; served in that capacity till April, 1877, when he engaged with the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western as brakeman; served in that capacity till the Fall of 1879, when he was promoted to conductor. Has been in the company's employ about four years, to this writing, April, 1881; since his connection with this line he has made his home in Manitowoc.

See also Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad in the Transportation/Railroad section
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1398-1402

 

FRANZ FALK

was born in Mittenberg, Bavaria, on the 10th of August, 1824. His father, a cooper by occupation, was a man of considerable influence in his community. Franz was early trained to habits of industry and economy, which training stood him in good stead in after years. With an education such as might be derived at a village common school, the lad, at the age of twelve and a half years, quitted the school for the workshop, and commenced learning the cooper's trade, which he followed for the next six years. The business not suiting his tastes and inclination, upon arriving at a period of life when he must make a choice of an occupation, he decided to become a brewer. Accordingly, he abandoned his former trade, and, after spending three years in becoming initiated into the intricacies of the brewery business in Mittenberg, emigrated to America. Mr. Falk landed in New York in June 1848, from whence he went to Cincinnati. He engaged in a brewery in that city for three months, and in October of the same year he came to Milwaukee, which has since been his home. The first six months, after his arrival here, were passed in the employ of August Krug as a general workman. He then entered the brewery of C.T. Melms as foreman-a position which he held for seven years. Having accumulated sufficient capital, he associated himself with Frederick Williams. Through untiring exertion, economy and fair-dealing, Mr. Falk has in the past years built up a magnificent business. His career, in fact, from the beginning, has been remarkable in the rapidity with which, alone and unaided, he has climbed the rounds of the ladder of prosperity, until, from a poor lad, he now stands among the foremost of Milwaukee's wealthy and influential citizens. Mr. Falk was for some time a director of the Brewers' Insurance Company of America. He was married in June, 1850, to Miss Louisa Wahl, and by her had seven sons and one daughter. The eldest son, Lewis W. Falk, has charge of the finances of the Bavaria Brewery. The second son, Frank R. Falk, occupies a position in the Second Ward Savings Bank. The daughter, after progressing in her studies as far as possible at the schools here, was sent to Frankfort-on-the-Maai, where she finished her education.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881

 

JNO. FATH

fruits, oysters and fish, No. 55 Division street, born in Alsace, France. In 1849 he came to Milwaukee, and in 1868 he commenced this business. In 1875 he married Miss Carry Ward. She was born in Milwaukee and died in 1877.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1231

 

FRANK FEILING

FRANK FEILING was born in 1845, in Germany. In 1866, he came to the United States, and worked four years in a piano manaufactory in Boston, Mass. In 1871, he was married to Miss Catherine Steinmann, a native of this city, daughter of Henry H. Steinmann, a veteran pioneer of Milwaukee. They have four sons. He owns a residence, No 533 Eleventh street. He is a practical pianomaker, and a member of several singing societies.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 600

 

JACOB FERNEKES

steam confectionery, Nos. 351 and 353 East Water street, was born in Germersheim, Bavaria, in 1832. In 1850 he came to Milwaukee. He was married to Rosina Metzger, a native of Wurtemburg, in 1851. They have two children, one son and one daughter. Two years after his marriage Mr. Fernekes went to Wayne County and opened a confectionary establishment. In 1867 he returned to Milwaukee and commenced his present business which is now one of the largest and most profitable in the city.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1212

 

PATRICK FERRITER

plumber, gas and steamfitter, No. 59 Division street, has been established in business in this city since the Spring of 1874. Mr. Ferriter was born in Ireland in 1841; came to America in 1850, his parents settling in this city, where he attended school until he was fourteen years old, and then learned his trade. August 12, 1862, Mr. Ferriter enlisted in Company F, Twenty-fourth Wisconsin Infantry, attached to the First Brigade, Second Division Fourth Army Corps--Sheridan's old division. Served in the Army of the Cumberland until the March to the Sea, when his division was detached to face Hood, under Thomas, and remained there until ordered home for discharge and mustered out of service in June, 1865. He was in all the engagements, participated in by his regiment, with one exception, and these included all the memorable battles fought by Sherman during the Atlanta campaign, out of which came out with but one slight wound. On being mustered out of service Mr. Ferriter settled in Chicago and followed his trade until his removal to Milwaukee in 1875. In February 1874 he married Miss Maggie Savage of this city. They have four children; Willie, born June 22, 1875; Charles, born March 14, 1876; John, born June 29, 1878; and Mary, born October 9, 1880.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881

 

H. FINK

United States Marshal, is a native of Germany, and was born in Rhenish Bavaria, September 7, 1840. He came to the United States and to this State in 1852, attending school here. After reaching manhood he entered the army, served in the Twenty-sixth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and was disabled at the battle of Chancellorsville. Mr. Fink represented the Eighth Ward in the Board of Supervisors four years, from 1870 to 1874. He was elected and served two terms as Representative to the State Legislature. In March, 1877, he was appointed by President Hayes United States Marshal, and since then he has occupied that position. In 1866, Mr. Fink was united in marriage to Miss Kattie Steiff, from Dobbs Ferry, New York, on the Hudson River. They have three children, Albert, Edward and Emma.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 653

 

WM. FINK

hides, skins and wool, No. 132 Reed street, was born in 1825, in Rhenish Palatinate Bavaria. In 1840 he came to Milwaukee and followed farming about nine years. He then went to Racine and opened a grocery store; continued it one year. IN 1850 he came to Milwaukee and also started a grocery store on Ferry street; continued it about three years. He then was engaged by Pfister & Vogel as travelling agent; held this position about fourteen years. In 1867 he commenced his present business. His brothers, Jacob and George, served in the late war. Jacob was killed at the Battle of Port Hudson; George served about four years, and was wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness, for which he received a pension. He served in the Iron Brigade. Mr. Fink married Catharine E. Johnson in 1850; she was born in Holstein. They have four children-Adaline, now Mrs. Zinn, Bruno E., Isabella and Lillie.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1444

 

H.F. FISCHEDICK

H. F. FISCHEDICK, manufacturer of and wholesale dealer in cigars and tobacco, No. 151 Reed street. This business was established in the Spring of 1857. Mr. Fischedick is a native of Prussia. He came to Milwaukee in the Spring of 1847. August 9, 1864, he was appointed inspector of tobacco and cigars, which position he held up to January 1867. He was married February 6, 1858, to Miss Margaret Lienhop, a native of Hanover. They have three sons and two daughters. Mr.Fischedick is a member of the Cream City Lodge of Knights of Pythias, and the South Side Turners.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1483

 

PROFESSOR DAVENPORT FISHER

analytical and consulting chemist, No. 110 Huron street in this city, was born in Boston, Mass., in 1832, and made his home there until 1850, receiving in that city the early and later training that qualified him to commence the study of engineering and chemistry at the Rensselaer Institute of Troy, N.Y. He afterwards spent one year in the Scientific School at Cambridge, Mass. In the year 1853 he went to Europe and profited by the lessons and training of the celebrated chemist, Baron Von Leibig, at Munich, for six months;. still later he was a pupil of the no less celebrated Professor Bunsen, at Heidelberg, for one year, receiving the degree of Ph.D. from the University in 1855. From that city he went to Paris, where he continued his studies in chemistry under the Professors Persoz and Kopp, for twelve months, spending his time in travel and study in Europe until 1857, when he returned to American and has since that time been engaged in various manufacturing enterprises in different parts of the United States. For two years he served as Lieutenant in the Fifth Massachusetts (colored) Calvary, and for four years was Professor of Chemistry in the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md. In the year 1865 the Professor located in this city, and has been engaged in the manufacture of chemicals, and as consulting and analytical chemist. Professor Fisher married Miss Charlotte Ilsley, of this city, and they have three sons and two daughters.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1038

 

WM. FLEISCHER

WM. FLEISCHER, manufacturer of knitted jackets, No. 1109 Beaubian street; a native of Saxony, Germany; born February 27, 1839. He came to Philadelphia in 1878, and to Milwaukee in 1880. He was married in 1879, to Miss Paulina Kurtz. They have three sons.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1658

 

MICHAEL FOHEY

Michael Fohey was born in the city of New York, September 26, 1828. He came with his parents to Chicago in 1838, where he remained till 1842, at which time he removed to Milwaukee, which as ever since been his home. He received his education in the city schools of Chicago and Milwaukee. He was connected with the stage lines, omnibus lines and livery stables of Milwaukee for over a quarter of a century. Thirty-two years ago he was driving the stage on the Janesville route via Troy, and nearly every old settler now alive has ridden with him over his route years before there was a mile of railroad in the State. For many years he was in charge of the old Davis omnibus line, and for years owned teams and did a large business in that line. On the death of the last surviving proprietor of the Davis Omnibus Line, Mr. S. S. Merrill was appointed administrator of the estate and gave the charge of the line to Mr. Fohey, who ran for nearly three years until the matters of the estate were finally closed up. So honestly and efficiently did he conduct the business that Mr. Merrill appointed him to the responsible position of Superintendent of the Stock Yards on the closing up of the work with the omnibus line in 1879. He has since held that position. Mr. Fohey married Miss Ann Ebbs in 1849. They have four children living in Milwaukee one daughter Mary Frances married to Mr. James Dukelow, and three sons, George D., Thomas J., and Fred.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1229

 

WILLIAM FOX, M.D.

No. 470 Jackson street, is a native of this State, having first seen the light in Dane County, Wisconsin, in June, 1844. His father, George Fox, was one of the pioneers of the Badger State and the son spent most of his early days on the farm, save only the time that could be advantageously employed in the district school, until 1859. When at the age of 15 he entered the Sinsinawa Mount Institute-since changed to St. Clara's Institute-Grant County, Wisconsin. Having reaped the advantages possible in that establishment the young student was transferred to the State University at Madison, where he pursued his arduous labors during several terms. That phase of the life having come to an end he was employed in a drug store, in the capital city for a time, but an opportunity offering, he returned to his home at Oregon, Wisconsin, where he remained until 1866. In the year 1867 taking advantage of lines of study suggested while in the drug store at Madison, the young man concluded that he would make the practice of medicine his profession for life, and for that purpose entered the Rush Medical College in Chicago, and graduated thence in 1870. After obtaining his degree as M.D., Dr. Fox was appointed on the House Staff of Cook County Hospital having some months earlier been called there to fill a temporary vacancy. The Doctor engaged in professional practice at Madison, Wisconsin, in 1871, and continued there seven years, removing to this city in 1878, where he is already well known as an able and successful practitioner. He is a member of the American Medical Association, Rock County, Dane County, Milwaukee County, and State Medical Societies, and in 1876 was sent as a delegate to the International Medical Congress, which assembled at Philadelphia.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1028

 

JOHN FRANZEN

JOHN FRANZEN, grocer, No. 175 Milwaukee street. Born Dec. 26, 1818 in Loraine, France. He came to America in 1846 and remained three months in the State of New York before coming to Milwaukee. He commenced work in this city for Mr. Ely at the boot and shoe trade which he had learned in his native land. He remained with this house a year and then engaged with Bradley & Metcalf; worked for this firm twenty-five years. Established this business in 1863 which he has since continued. Mr. Franzen was married in 1849 to Miss Catherine Limberg, native of Prussia; she died June 2, 1848, aged 58 years. He has two daughters and three sons. John is a traveling salesman for Blair & Persons, William is a salesman in the same house and Louis is a salesman in the house of Gunther & Hanson." I have copied this carefully and rechecked the numbers. Of course, they don't make sense, i.e. Catherine married in 1849 and died in 1848, but that is what is in the book.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1198

 

HEINRICH FRECKMANN

tailor, No. 617 Reservoir avenue. He was born May 13, 1823, in Prussia. He learned this trade, when a boy, from his stepfather, and has always followed it. He came to Milwaukee in 1866. He was married to Elizabeth Elshoff, November 5, 1850. She was born in Prussia, March 10, 1825, and died January 23, 1866, leaving five children-Bernhard, Herman, Gertrude, Theodore and Casper. He was married a second time to Mrs. Herman, in 1870. She was born in Saxony. She has one son by a former marriage, Charles, by name.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1253

 

ERNST FREDERICK

sheepskin tannery, No. 921 River street. Mr. Frederick is a native of Saxony. At the age of thirteen he commenced learning the tanners's trade with his grandfather. In 1849 he came to New York, and in 1853 to Milwaukee, establishing his present business.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, p. 1442

 

H.J. FRICK

H.J. FRICK, passenger conductor Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad, was born in Erie County, New York, in 1852; came with his parents to Sheboygan, Wisocnsin, in 1854, and, in 1872, began his career as a railroad man by commencing at the lowest rounds of the ladder, working on section work on the construction of the Appleton & New London Railway; ten months later he was employed as brakeman and, after serving in that capacity eight months, he was promoted to freight conductor, which position he held till November, 1880, when he was promoted to passenger conductor. His run is from Milwaukee to Wausau and return. Has been in the company's employ nin years, under its different administrations. Since 1874 he made his home in Milwaukee; resides at No. 377 Beach street.

See also Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad in the Transportation/Railroad section
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1398-1402

 

FRIEND BROS.

Friend Bros. - This firm is one of the oldest wholesale clothing and manufacturing firms in the city, ranking in wealth and extent of business among the heaviest clothing houses of the country. The business was first established in Milwaukee by Henry and Elias Friend, who was lost on the "Schiller," May 7, 1875. At present the members of the firm are: Elias, Meyer and Isaac Friend, brothers; and Jacob H. Friend, son of the late Henry Friend. Their store was at first located at No. 370 East Water street, where as merchant tailors and retailers of ready-made clothing, they did a moderately thriving business, employing some ten to fifteen hands as custom tailors and makers of clothing for their ready-made stock. They moved into more commodious quarters, Nos. 358 and 360 Broadway, then known as Sexton's Block, in 1867. In 1876, they purchased the entire block, and now occupy two-thirds of the upper stores in addition to the room on the ground floor above named. The entire block owned by them is an elegant brick structure, built in modern style, three stories high with mansard roof and basement. It is 120 feet square, situated on the corner of Michigan street and Broadway. It is divided into three double stores, with entrances on Broadway, the middle store present amounts to $750,000 per annum, and is confined exclusively to the wholesale clothing trade. All goods sold by them are made in their own establishment. The cutting is done by machinery run by steam power, and the making gives employment to 1,00 hands during the busy season. The trade extends into every State and Territory, tributary to Chicago or Milwaukee, throughout the West.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1241


Home Page | What's New Blog! | Deaths and Obituaries | Births and Marriages | Censuses and Directories | Business and Government | Marine and Shipbuilding | Military | Church and School | Charities and Organizations | Towns and Land Ownership | Immigration | Disasters and Mishaps | Contributors | Lookups | Photo Gallery


Disclaimer | Privacy Statement

PLEASE NOTE: I am not affiliated with any of the cemeteries or organizations listed on these pages. I am happy to answer general questions, but would not have more specific information other than what you see listed without doing additional research. If you need help with your research, please see the lookup page for a list of volunteers and paid services that can help.

This genealogy website maintained by Ellen M. Rohr
PO Box 1172
Brookfield, WI 53008-1172
Phone: 262-783-1620
Contact Me-

© 2012 Links To The Past

Please also visit the WIGenWeb State Website or Wisconsin County Pages