Nearly 4000 biographical sketches of pioneers and citizens
The Western Historical Company, Chicago
A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881
GEO. H. JANSSEN
dealer in toys, fancy goods, musical instruments and confectionary, No. 93 Wisconsin street. This business was first commenced in October, 1867, opening on Chestnut street. He commenced with a cash capital of $85, in a small store 18 by 20 feet, doing his own work. Mr. Janssen has gradually increased his trade until he now carries a stock of from $3000 to $4000 and a trade of $11,000. Mr. Janssen was born in Germany, May 24, 1840. At the age of 15 he shipped on a merchantman and followed the seas for ten years, and for two years-1862-1964-he sailed from New York and other ports in the United States. He located in Milwaukee in June, 1865. He married Miss Johanna Litzko in May, 1877. They have two children. Mr. Janssen has been President for two terms of the George Washington Lodge, No. 40 of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1275
Auditor of the Post-office, is a native of the Netherlands, Province of Zeeland, and was born December 24, 1824. He emigrated in the United States in 1858 and came to Milwaukee the same year; and first engaged in teaching school and book-keeping. In 1864 he entered the Post-office as night clerk, and has been through the various departments of the office; fro the past eight years has held the position of Auditor; has served in the City Council four and a half years and as a member of the School Board for four years. In 1853 Mr. Jobse was united in marriage to Miss Lavina Leysennaar, from the Netherlands. They have five children-Lavina, Nellie, William P., Lizzie and Peter H.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1059
A. JOHNSON, conductor on the Milwaukee Division, was born at Desplaines, Ill; commenced railroading in 1867, on the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, as brakeman; was made conductor in 1870, on the Wisconsin Division; in 1876 was transferred to the Milwaukee Division; made his home in Milwaukee at this time. No accident of importance has happened to any train in this care. He is now serving his fifth year as conductor. Residence No. 477 Washington street.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1387
was born in Auchnagatt, in the County of Aberdeen, Scotland, on June 8, 1838. His father was a farmer. At the age of twelve he was sent to the grammar school of Aberdeen, and when fifteen years old he entered the University of Aberdeen, gaining a high scholarship after a competitive examination in mathematics, the classics, etc. After a course of four years, he graduated as Master of Arts in 1855. In 1856 he came to Milwaukee and entered the bank of his uncle, Alexander Mitchell, where he has been ever since. He has always taken an active part in public affairs, and has held some very responsible positions of both a public and private character. His interest in municipal matters has been shown in his serving two terms in the Board of Aldermen.
He has been Vice President of the Chamber of Commerce, a member of the Board of Directors and of the Committee of Appeals of that body, and has at different times, in public addresses and otherwise, shown his interest in commercial affairs and in the business prosperity of the city. He was one of the gentleman who first called attention to cement beds north of the city, on the Milwaukee River, and helped to develop them. He has been Director in the Cement Company, and its Treasurer ever since its organization. As an officer in the Humane Society, a trustee in Calvary Presbyterian Church, and as director of the Sailor's Home, and three times President of the St. Andrew's Society, he has done his share in promoting the humane, the religious, the charitable, and the benevolent institutions of he city; while his interest in educational matters has been manifested as a Trustee of the Public Library and of the Milwaukee College.
He has also been forward in the encouragement of manly sports and healthy out-door games, being especially active in the Curling and Rifle Clubs. He has been three time president of the Rifle Club, and a like number of times President of the Curling Club; and has also held the high honor of being twice, President of the Grand National Curling Club of America. He was one of the four Milwaukee players who won Europe in 1878, he carried off the first prize for rifle shooting, at long range, at the north of Scotland Wapinschaw, held in Aberdeen in June of that year, and in July he took a high position with the rifle at the great gathering at Wimbledon, London.
In politics, he was a Republican all through the war, and voted both times for Abraham Lincoln, but on the question of Reconstruction he could not endorse the radical measures of Thad, Stevens, and followed such men as Trumbull, Seward, Fessenden, and Adams in their opposition to the course of the Republican party in its reconstruction policy. He was outspoken in his efforts in favor of currency redeemable in coin, and his address before the workingmen of Bay View was published by the Honest Money League of the Northwest, and nearly 100,000 copies of it were sold or distributed.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1096
JUNG & BORCHERT
The brewery of the above named firm is situated at Nos. 101 and 123 Ogden Street.
PHILLIP JUNG, of the firm of Jung & Borchert, was born in Dornassenheim, Wetterau, near Frankfort, December 23, 1845; learned the trade of cooper and brewer in his native country; came to America in 1870; spent some time in New York and one and one-half years in Cincinnati, Ohio; came to Milwaukee in 1872, and engaged with the Ph. Best Brewing Company as foreman until 1877, when he was made superintendent of both breweries and under whose direction the celebrated beer was brewed which took the gold medals at Paris and Philadelphia.
ERNST BORCHERT, of the firm of Jun & Borchert, was born in Guestrow, Mecklenberg-Schwerin, August 15, 1844; came with his parents in Milwaukee in 1852; followed book-keeping for about three years, when he came across the plains to Virginia City, Helena City, Nevada City, Denver, Salt Lake and other points in the Western Territories. Returned to Milwaukee in 1867 and in the grain commission business with his father and brothers, the firm being F. Borchert & Son having purchased the same; on December 1, 1870, their interest was sold in Phillipp Jung and Ernst Borchert, the firm being Jung & Borchert, as above.
Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1469