Skip to: Site menu | Main content

Loading

 History of Milwaukee Biographies

Nearly 4000 biographical sketches of pioneers and citizens
The Western Historical Company, Chicago
A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881
Milwaukee County Wisconsin Genealogy

Biographies

 

ANTON KADAREBECK

ANTON KADAREBECK, proprietor of meat market at N. 1612 Galena street, was born in Tabor, Bohemia, November 5, 1850. He came to Milwaukee 1865, establishing himself in business in 1873. He was married April 18, 1875, to Barbara Meyers. They have three children. pg 1232

 

HENRY KALLENBACH

tailor, No. 904 Beubian street, is a native of Saxony. He came to New York in 1852, and worked there at this trade twenty-four years, except three years in the army. May 10, 1877, he came to Milwaukee, and at once commenced this business. He employed but one man when he started; now employs twenty-six hands and runs five machines. His trade is custom and shop work. He is a member of the grand ARmy of the Republic. He enlisted in 1861, in Company A, Forty-first New York Infantry, served three years and two months. He participated in the battles of First Bull Run, Cross Key, Va., Chancellorville, Va., Second Bull Run, Waterloo, Silver Spring, Va., Gettysburg, Pa., Fort Wagner, S.C. and others.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, p. 1254

 

A. KARKTSCHOKE

tanner, at the foot of Sherman street, on the canal. Mr. Karktschoke was born in Prussia, and in 1857 came to America, locating in Milwaukee. He learned his trade at the age of 14, and established his present business in 1865.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, p. 1442

 

F.H. KARROW

proprietor of the "Opera House" restaurant and wine and beer hall. Nos. 54 and 56 Oneida street and No. 300 East Water street. Mr. Karrow came to Milwaukee in 1870. He was for five years clerk in the Republican House, and established his present business in 1877.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1486

 

H.F. KASTEN

Foreman Steamer No. 3, is a native of Germany, and was born March 22, 1841; came to Milwaukee January 18, 1855. He joined the Volunteer Fire Department in October, 1857, and afterwards the Steam Fire Department. He had an interest in a vessel and sailed on the lake for some years. In April 1870, he joined the department again, and was connected with the Steamer No. 5 for eight years; served as pipeman two and a half years, and was promoted to Captain of No. 5 November 16, 1873. In the Spring of 1878 he was transferred to Steamer No. 3, and since then has held the position of Captain. In 1864 he married Miss Dorothea Foth, a native of Germany.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 390)

 

JULIUS KASTEN

JULIUS KASTEN, M.D., No. 692 Van Buren street, was born in Germany in 1832. Graduated from the University of Goettingen in 1856, when 24 years old, passing his final examination before the State Board at Hanover in the following year, he entered upon his professional labors at Goettingen. Was appointed physician and surgeon on board the steamer "Borussia", in 1858, then plying between the cities of Hamburg and New York. In the following year, he concluded to emigrate, settling at first in the practice of his profession at Hoboken, N.J. In the year 1861, Dr. Kasten became a denizen of New York City, and in the Autumn of that year, removed to Milwaukee, where he has since remained. The Doctor was County Physician for the First District of Milwaukee for many years.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1023

 

GEORGE F. KAUPER

The Ninth Ward Branch of the Second Ward Savings' Bank, situated at the corner of Vliet and Mill streets, was first opened in 1874. The office building was erected during that year, and is of the same size and fitted up in like manner as the Sixth Ward Branch office. A general banking business is done in addition to the savings' deposits accounts.

GEORGE F. KAUPER, the manager of the above branch, has held his position since its establishment in 1874, and has been connected with the central bank since 1872.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1658

 

MATTHEW KEENAN

Vice President of the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, is a native of Onondaga County, N.Y., and was born January 5, 1825. He arrived in Milwaukee, with his parents in June, 1837. Four years later he was a clerk in the store of Wm. Brown, Jr., and for the next five years was employed by J.A. Arnold. In 1848 he engaged in the general merchandise business himself, the firm being Hayden & Keenan. From 1853 to 1861 he held the office of Clerk of the Circuit Court; was Tax Commissioner from 1863 and 1867, three years; a member of the Common Council in 1868; Tax Commissioner again three years from 1869. In 1869 and 1870 Mr. Keenan was Vice president of the Chamber of Commerce and a member of the National Board of Trade, which met that year in Richmond, Virginia. In 1872 and 1873, during the construction of the water works, he was Secretary of the Board of WAter commissioners; in 1871 a member of the Legislature from the Seventh Ward; in 1875, elected REgent of the University of Wisconsin for three years; is trustee of the city library, being prior trustee of the Young Men's Library Association. Mr. Keenan has been a trustee of the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company for ten years and Vice President six. In 1848 Mr. Keenan was united in marriage to Miss Antonette A. Hayden. a native of Otsego County, N.Y.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1107

 

EDWARD J. KELLEY

EDWARD J. KELLEY was born in Queens County, Ireland, on November 21, 1832. He came to America with his parents, who located at Florence, Oneida County, New York, in 1834. He came. to Wisconsin in 1855, and first settled at Germantown, Washington County, where be lived until 1866, engaged in teaching school, and during that time was Superintendent of Schools, Supervisor and Town Clerk. In 1862 he went out as First Lieutenant of Company I. Thirty-fourth Wisconsin Infantry, returning with the regiment in October, 1863. In 1866 he came to Milwaukee and was engaged in the grocery business for a period of six years, or until 1872, when he discontinued the grocery trade and engaged in the real estate and insurance business. In 1874 he was elected Justice of the Peace, which office he held for five years. In 1880 he was appointed Assessor of the Third Ward, which position he still holds.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1601

 

MAURICE KENNEALY

MAURICE KENNEALY, grocery and saloon, NO. 201 Detroit street, was born in Ireland, and came to America in 1844, and four years later came to Milwaukee. He was formean for L.J. Higby for about twenty years, and assistant at the House of Correction for nearly ten years. He started his present business in 1879.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1199)

 

C.J. KERSHAW & SONS

dealers in lumber, salt stucco, lime, etc. The lumber yards are located on the north side of Burnham's Slip, near the foot of Sixth avenue. The business was established by present proprietors in 1875. From fifty to seventy-five men are employed about the extensive yards. The sales aggregate nearly twelve million feet of lumber per year. This branch of the business is under the management of R. Stockwell, Jr., who has been superintendent of the yards since 1877. The house, with office at No. 68 West Water street, under a separate management, nearly controls the salt trade of the city, and has a large shipping trade with the interior. This department is under the superintendency of P.H. Kershaw, the junior partner of the house.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1516

C.J. KERSHAW was born in Burnley, Lancashire, England, in 1832. He came to America in 1841, and received his education at the Derby Line Academy, Orleans County, Vermont. He came West in 1853, and engaged in a general trade in provisions, grain and flour, both in Milwaukee and Chicago, and made Milwaukee his permanent home in 1861. He continued the produce and commission business alone till 1867 during which years he formed a copartnership with the late G.D. Norris, which occurred in 1870, at that time Mr. Joseph P. Hill becoming associated with him under the firm name of C.J. Kershaw & Co. In addition to the commission business carried on by the above-named firm, MR. Kershaw, since 1875, has outside the copartnership carried on an extensive trade in lumber and salt, a sketch of which has been given above. IN 1876 he also entered into copartnership with Charles Manegold, Jr. under the firm name of C. Manegold, Jr. & Co., the firm owning and running the Northwestern Elevator. These varieties of business under the different styles mentioned being successfully and energetically carried on by Mr. Kershaw and his associates. He has been an honored member of the Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce since 1861, and has served on every important committee, and as Vice-President of the Board. His reputation and business standing among his associates is untarnished, and his ability unquestioned. Mr. Kershaw married Miss Mary E. Leavenworth, daughter of Colonel J.H. Leavenworth. They have eight children, Phillip, Charles J., Jr, Henry, Thomas, Leavenworth, Alice, Jessie and Mabel.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1516

P.H. KERSHAW was born in Chicago in 1857; came to Milwaukee with his parents when a small child and has lived here since. He received his education in Racine College, and his commercial training with his father, becoming partner in 1880. Mr. Kershaw was married in 1880 in this city.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1516

B. STOCKWELL, Jr. was born in Highgate, Vermont, in 1833; came to Milwaukee in 1857, and has been engaged in lumber business ever since. He has had charge of the C.J. Kershaw lumber yard since 1877. Mr. Stockwell was married in 1863, has two children, and resides at No. 850 National avenue.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1516

 

JAS. L. KETCHAM

Wood and tie agent of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, is a native of Orange County, New York, and was born March 4, 1819. He lived in that State and began railroading with the Erie line in 1841. He fixed the locomotve that carried President Harrison's message from New Brunswick to Jersey City, making the thirty-two miles in fifty minutes, which was great speed at that time. He was with the Erie Railroad from 1841 to 1856, and was the first roadmaster on the Erie road; was also assistant wood and tie agent. He came to Michigan, in 1857, and engaged in lumbering at Saginaw and carried on the business there until 1875. While living there he was elected mayor of that city, and held the office two terms. He was appointed wood and tie agent of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway in 1876, which position he still holds.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1347

 

JOHN D. KIDNEY

John D. Kidney, heater in the twelve-inch mill, was born in 1841 in South Wales. When but eleven years old he commenced work in rolling mill in the North of england, working four years. In 1854 he came to America and worked in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, until 1857, from there he went to Johnstown, Pennsylvania, and in March, 1859, he returned to England, remaining until October, 1860, when he returned to America. He first went to Iranton, Ohio, where he worked until April 10, 1861, then enlisted in the Second Regiment, West Virginia Cavalry. Mr. Kidney was in the service three years and forty days, eh was taken prisoner June 2, 1862, in the battle of Port Republic under Gen. Fremont. He remained a prisoner until the 20th of September; twenty-five days of the time he ws confied at Lynchburg, Virginia, spending the remainder of the time at Belle Isle. After he left the army he worked in Pittsburgh(where his parents resided) about two years. He then worked two years in Cleveland, Ohio and came to Milwaukee in the Spring of 1870. In 1866 he was married to Mary E. McGann. Since 1870 he has been employed in the Bay View works.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1623

 

CHARLES L. KIEWERT & CO.

hops and brewers' supplies, NO. 280 East Water street. This business was established at Nos. 110 and 112 Huron street, under the firm name of Kiewert & Ladwig. In 1874 Mr. Ladwig retired, and the business has since been conducted under the present firm name. In May, 1878 it was moved to No. 287 East WAter street, and in march, 1880, to the present location. The stock at present carried ranges from $10,000 to $15,000, and the trade reaches $150,000 per annum. Three traveling men are employed, and their trade, which is in hops, malt, and general brewers' supplies, extends throughout the Northwestern states.

CHARLES L. SIEWERT, a native of Prussia, was born November 24, 1846, a son of William and Emily Kiewert. After receiving his education he came to Milwaukee in 1862, and studied law with Hon. E.G. Ryan, and later with Mann & Cotzhausen. He was admitted to the bar in 1867. In October, 1869, he was married to Miss Amelia L. Gueder. They have two sons and a daughter, Jennie, aged eleven; Charles, eight; and Robert, aged three.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1471

 

THE EMIL KIEWERT COMPANY

was founded in 1856, when the firm was reorganized by the name of Emil Kiewert & Co. Letters of incorporation were obtained April 27, 1878, and the business continued under the direction of the following officers: Emil Kiewert, President; Robert Kiewert, Vice President; Paul Zuehlke, Secretary and Treasurer. The company conduct a valuable wine and liquor business, and own the handsome building No. 235 East Water street, where their quarters are situated.

EMIL KIEWERT, senior member of the firm, came to Milwaukee in 1858, and has been in active business life since.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1476

 

WILLIAM KLANN

Foreman brewery and malt-house, Franz Falk's Bavarian Brewery, was born in Prussia in 1844, and emigrated to this city direct in 1860; has been engaged in the brewery twenty-one years and foreman twelve years. He was married January 1, 1868 to Miss Ernestine Pfieffier. They have eight children, six boys and two girls. He is a member of the south side turners.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1468

 

KLESER & HOFFMANN

proprietors of Tin, Copper, Brass and Sheet Works, mill-bucket and elevator work a specialty. No. 146 Clinton street. This business was established in 1878.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1299

MATHIAS T. KLESER, senior member of this firm is a native of Prussia. He came to Milwaukee in July, 1842, with his parents. This city has since been his home, with the exception of five years, two of which he lived in Racine, two in Geneva, Wis., and one year in the War of the Rebellion in the First Wisconsin Artillery. He was married August 14, 1865, to Antonia Gagacy. They have one daughter.

LOUIS HOFFMANN, of the firm of Kleser & Hoffmann, was born in Milwaukee November 26, 1857. After completing his education, he learned the time and sheet iron trade, and in July, 1878, formed a partnership with Mr.Kleser, the business being conducted under the firm name of Kleser and Hoffmann, as above.

 

JOHN KLEINOW

JOHN KLEINOW, proprietor of saloon, No. 748 National avenue. Born in October, 1846, in Mecklenburg, Germany, in 1871 he came to Milwaukee and worked on a farm about six months; then worked in a brick yard about one and a half years, and three years in E.P. Allis's foundry; in 1877 he commenced this business. He was married in March, 1875, to Regenia Tump, a native of Westphalia, Prussia; they have two sons and a daughter. pg 1498

 

E. KLINGBEIL

E. KLINGBEIL, grocer and provision merchantt at No. 477 Second avenue, was born in Germany, and came to American, locating near Janesville in 1868. Mr. Klingbeil came to Milwaukee in 1872, and established his present business in 1876.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1199)

 

JACOB KNOERNSCHILD

dealer in hardware and house furnishing goods, paints, oils and glass, sash, doors, blinds and mouldings, No. 499 Twelfth street. The business was established in 1865, on the corner of Twelfth and Cherry, and in 1867 removed to present location, where he is doing a wholesale and retail business, and jobbing in his line. Mr. Knoernschild is a native of Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, born in 1841; when he was working at his trade in Chicago and Pekin, Ill., and Nashville, Tenn. He was a member f the City Council from 1872 to 1874, and was on the School board from 1876 to 1880. He is at present one of the Alderman of the Ninth Ward.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1308

 

HENRY KOENIG

HENRY KOENIG, billiards and saloon, at No. 507 Reed street. Mr. Koenig was born in Milwaukee County, and, in partnership with his father, was a dealer in live stock until 1872, when he commenced his present business.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1493

 

REV GEORGE KUECHLE

REV GEORGE KUECHLE, pastor of the Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession, was born February 21, 1829, near Ulm in Bavaria; studied with his father, a pastor in Bavaria, until the age of 18, when he came to the United States and for two years attended the Seminary of the Missouri Synod, located at Fort Wayne, Indiana; was ordained in April, 1850. His first charge was at Niles, Illinois. In 1852 he located at Richton, Cook county, Illinois, where he preached till 1864; was then three years at Columbus, Indiana, afterward seven years at Laporte, Indiana. In the Spring of 1873 he was called ot the pastorate of his present charge; married in 1854 to Miss Elizabeth Meyer, formerly of Bavaria. They have had twelve children, ten of whom are living and seven are residents of Milwaukee. He was several years Secreatry of the General Synod of Missouri, and is now one of the visitors of the Northwestern District of the Synod. For fully thirty years he has preached at least one sermon every Sabbath, and for the first fifteen years he taught a parochial school four days of each week. He is still in full vigor and gives hope of many years of usefulness. pg 936

 

ANTON KUOLT

Anton Kuolt, proprietor of saloon at No. 324 State street. Born in Germany inn 1834, he was educated and learned the trade of fresco painting there; he was in the army in Germany under King William I, seven years, four years in the regular army and three years in gendarme; he came to America in 1859, and located in Utica, New York, engaging as foreman in a furniture store; he afterwards carried on the painting business several years, coming to Milwaukee in 1869; was foreman for the Matthews Bros. Furniture Company for seven years. He was married in the state of New York, in 1859, to Miss Christiana Blessing; they have four children. He is an active member of the Druids, the I.O.O.F. and the Knights of Pythias.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1493

 

FRANCIS KUSTA

FRANCIS KUSTA, boots and shoes, No. 1118 Vliet street. He was born in 1857, in Bohemia; the following year he came with his parents to Milwaukee; his father had learned and followed this trade in Bohemia; in 1860 he established this business which the son now carries on; he died June 25,1880. When he came to Milwaukee; he was penniless, and by his strict attention to business he acquired a very handsome property. Francis, Jr., married Katie Reidenbach, June 24, 1879; she was born in New York; they have one child, Francis James.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1453


Home Page | What's New Blog! | Deaths and Obituaries | Births and Marriages | Censuses and Directories | Business and Government | Marine and Shipbuilding | Military | Church and School | Charities and Organizations | Towns and Land Ownership | Immigration | Disasters and Mishaps | Contributors | Lookups | Photo Gallery


Disclaimer | Privacy Statement

PLEASE NOTE: I am not affiliated with any of the cemeteries or organizations listed on these pages. I am happy to answer general questions, but would not have more specific information other than what you see listed without doing additional research. If you need help with your research, please see the lookup page for a list of volunteers and paid services that can help.

This genealogy website maintained by Ellen M. Rohr
PO Box 1172
Brookfield, WI 53008-1172
Phone: 262-783-1620
Contact Me-

© 2012 Links To The Past

Please also visit the WIGenWeb State Website or Wisconsin County Pages