Skip to: Site menu | Main content

Loading

 History of Milwaukee Biographies

Nearly 4000 biographical sketches of pioneers and citizens
The Western Historical Company, Chicago
A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881
Milwaukee County Wisconsin Genealogy

Biographies

 

WAGNER & GRIESBAUM

Wagner & Griesbaum, custom tailors, No. 304 Third street. Business established October 1, 1880. The members of the firm are Charles Wagner and Reinhardt Griesbaum. They carry a full stock of cloths, cassimeres, vestings and furnishing goods, ad also a stock of ready made clothing.

CHARLES WAGNER was born in Baden, November 15, 1847. Learned the tailor's trade in Germany, and came to Milwaukee in January 1873.

REINHARDT GRIESBAUM was also born in Baden, January 10, 1847. Came to Milwaukee in 1872 having been in the state one year previously.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1260

 

JULIUS G. WAGNER

Architechtual Iron Works, owned by Julius G. Wagner, Nos. 516 to 520 Market street. This business was established in 1855, by John Hornbach and the present owner, under the firm name of Hornbach & Wagner, which continued until the death of the senior member, in 1875, since which time the business has been conducted by Mr. Wagner alone.

JULIUS G. WAGNER, was born in 1833, in Nassau, Prussia. He learned his trade in Frankfort-on-the-Main, and upon his arrival in America, in 1853, worked at the same in Cincinnati, Ohio, for two years. He then came to Milwaukee, in company with Mr. Hornbach, and started the business before stated, in a small building on the west side of Market street. more room being required, land was purchased at the present location, and buildings erected suited to the demand. all kind of architectural iron work is carried out from the establishment, specimens of which may be seen in the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company's building, the Plankinton House, the Water Works, several of the court houses in the State, and many other important buildings. Mr. Wagner is now engaged on the iron work of the new Exposition Building.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1298

 

JOSEPH WALDHUTTER

proprietor of meat market, No. 620 State street, was born February 10, 1839, in Germany; came to Milwaukee in 1866, and has been engaged in this buiness since 1872. He was married, in 1869, to Miss Elizabeth Wilhelm, also a native of Germany. They have five sons and a daughter.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881

 

PH. WAGNER

general merchandise, No. 481 Thirteenth street, was born in Prussia. In 1865 he came to Milwaukee, worked in a vinegar factory about six month,s then worked in Best's brewery about seven years. In 1875 he commenced this business. He is a member of the Druids and Sons of Hermann. Mr. Wagner was married in 1868, to Maggie Holler. She was born in Prussia. They have one son and two daughters.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1206

 

JOHN WAMSER

saloon, No. 1826 Galena street, is a native of Austria. In 1867 he came to Waukesha county, WIsconsin, followed farming untl 1871, when he came to Milwaukee, started a cooper shop and run it about nine years. He also started a sloon about the same time, which he still continues. Mr. Wamser married in 1868, Barbara Wiser. She was born in Austria. They have two sons and four daughters.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg 1498

 

LYNDSEY WARD

LYNDSEY WARD is a native of Syracuse, New York, and was born November 24, 1804. He passed his earlier years to manhood in that State, and came West to Wisconsin on the steamboat "Madison," arriving here in July, 1838; engaged in mercantile trade until he had established several stores, and controlled four flouring mills and twelve lead furnaces The firm of J. & L. Ward was widely known all over the territory, and they transacted a very large business, employing about 500 ox-teams hauling lead from Dodgeville and vicinity to Milwaukee, where it was re-shipped to Eastern markets. They also ran a shot tower at Helena, which was continued several years. They shipped two hundred thousand pigs of lead in one year to New York and other points. Before coming West, Mr. Ward was united in marriage in 1832, to Miss Laments Curtis, a native of Bridgewater, New York. She died in 1876. They had two children, neither of whom survive. Mr. Ward is one-of the earliest settlers of this place. The first year after coming here, he was elected Village Trustee, and received the unanimous vote of the East Side of the river. He was President of the Board of Trustees, and had the honor oI swearing in the first Mayor of the city, Solomon Juneau. He also built the second brick dwelling-house erected in the city, which is his present residence.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1591

 

JAMES W. WARNKE

JAMES W. WARNKE, residence No. 61 Seventh street; a native of Germany, born in 1841. He came to Milwaukee in 1853 direct from Germay, with his parents. He has been in the saloon and restaurant business since coming to Milwaukee. He was for a number of years in the old Albany Hall, which was burned in 1861. In 1862 he enlisted in the Twenty-fourth Wisconsin Volunteers, and served until the battle of Franklin, Tennessee, where he was taken prisoner and held for five months; three months of this time being spent at Andersonville. He was liberated at the close of the war. He is now a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. pg. 1602

 

WM. WASWEYLER

grocer, No. 569 National avenue, is a native of Prussia. In 1844 he came with his parents to Milwaukee when he was bout the age of 14 years. His father, in company with Mr. Sirry, established a wagon factory, corner of Sixth street and National avenue., at that time surrounded with heavy timber. Many old settlers were supplied with thier fist wagons from this shop. But two roads were laid out at the time, these being the Chicago and Janesville, connecting Harmeyer's blacksmith shop, where the Metropolitan Hotel stands, and now a fluourishing part of the city. Mr. Wasweyler established his present business in 1860, and his may be considered the pioneer store of the Eighth Ward. He has always taken an active part in furthering the interests of the public schools, and has served four years on the School Board. He was married in 1861 to Miss Alma Kuehne, who was born in the Town of Lake. They have six children two sons and four daughters.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg 1206

 

JULIUS WECHSELBERG

JULIUS WECHSELBERG, Clerk of Circuit and County Courts, a native of Germany, was born March 9, 1838. He came to this city in 1848. He established the Thos. H. Brown carriage manufacturing works in 1861; continued in that business until 1879. In 1872 he was elected Alderman and served four years. In 1876 he was elected Clerk of the Courts, and was re-elected in 1878 and 1880. Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 655

 

HENRY WEHR

proprietor of saloon, No. 1 Grand avenue, established business in 1862 at No. 8 Spring street. He remained there seven years. He has been located since then in Birchard's Block for nine months on West Water street, eight months; No. 10 Spring street, six years. Moved to his present location in 1880. This is one of the largest, best furnished, and most complete saloons in the city.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg 1498

 

C. WEPFER

Merchant tailor, No. 316 State street, is a native of Switzerland. He came to Milwaukee April 21, 1866. At the age of 14 he commenced to learn this trade. After working at it three years, he went to France and worked there four years; he then went to the French part of Switzerland where he worked one year; returning to his native place he opened business, which he continued two years, and then came to America. He first worked for Mr. Casper seven and a half years, and afterwards took a position as cutter for a custom house, in which he remained two years. In 1876, he established his present business. he is a member of the Sons of Hermann, Knights of Pythias and Odd Fellows. He was married to Catharine Meyer, May 8, 1867. Her father was an organ manufacturer, of Pittsburg (sic), Pa. They have two sons and two daughters.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1260

 

HENRY WERDEHOFF

HENRY WERDEHOFF, retired, Residence No. 644 Sixth street. Born in Prussia July 2, 1806. He came to America in June, 1833. Is a baker by trade, which business he followed in Easton, Penn., until 1835. Henry was one of the founders of the German and English Academy on Broadway. He was married in Germany in 1842 to Charlotte Juergens, who was born in Germany in 1816, and died at Milwaukee in 1876. They have five children-Elizabeth, William, Charles, Amelia and Clara. Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1592

 

CHRISTIAN WESTERMANN

proprietor of salloon, No. 922 Fowler street, was born in Germany in 1842. He came to America with his parents in 1844, and to Milwaukee in 1845. He learned the cooper's trade here, and followed it ten years. He also engaged in teaming several years, until he established his present business in 1881. He was married in 1865 to Miss Wilhelmina Boro.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg 1498

 

FRANK WETTENGEL

First Pipeman of Engine No. 6, Milwaukee Fire Department, was born in Bavaria; came to Milwaukee in 1860; enlisted, January, 1865, when seventeen years of age, in Co. F, 46th Regt. Wis. Vols; served till November of the same year. During the years 1876-77-78 was engaged in the cigar business. October 1878, was appointed Third Pipeman of Engine No. 6, Milwaukee Fire Department. In January, 1879, was transferred to Hook and Ladder Co., No. 1; served with this company till May, 1880, when he was re-transferred to his former position of Third Pipeman of No. 6. In July of the same year was promoted to Second Pipeman, and in December following was promoted to position of First Pipeman. Residence, 88 Ogden street.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 393

 

WALTER W. WHITE

Principal of First District School, was born in Petersham, Worcester County, Mass, May 31, 1851. Was educated mainly at the Wesleyan Academy, Wilbraham, Mass. Taught five years as Principal of the Grammar School, and six years as Principal of the High School in Massachusetts. Was married in 1870 to Miss Eva L. Greenwood, a teacher at Hubbardston, Mass. Have two children. Resides at No. 699 Franklin street. Came to Milwaukee in 1878, and for two years was Professor of Mathematics the German English Academy. In July , 1880, was appointed Principal of the First District School.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 532

 

T.W. WHITEHOUSE

is a native of Penobscot County, Me., Town of Newport, born in 1839. He enlisted in 1862, in the Twenty-second Maine Regiment, Company K, and was in the service three years. He enlisted as a private, but held a Captain's commission after the first six months. He was at the siege of Port Hudson, and was in Virginia during the last year of the war; was with Grant when Lee surrendered. Mr. Whitehouse has been a resident of Milwaukee since 1874.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1279

THE HOWE MACHINE COMPANY--Manufacturers and dealers in the world renowned Howe sewing machines, No. 410 Milwaukee street; T.W. Whitehouse, manager. This company commenced business in Milwaukee in 1865, at No. 113 Wisconsin street, under the management of G.T. Bryant, in which location they remained until 1875, when they removed to their present location. Mr. Bryant was succeeded as manager in 1873, by Dr. A.H. Dorris. The business is in creasing rapidly, being twice as great as it was two years ago.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1279

 

M. WIENER

proprietor of saloon, was born in Prussia, July 24, 1833. Emigrated to New York in 1859 and the following year came to Milwaukee and engaged int eh clothing business for seven years. In 1867 he engaged in his present business and has carried it on for hte last fourteen years. He belongs to the I.O.O.F., and to the Legion of Honor. In 1860 he married Caroline Moll, a native of Prussia. They have three children, Ella, Henry and Willie.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg 1498

 

WILHELM WIESEMANN

Owner and proprietor of the Wiesmann House, Forest Home. This house was built and business established in 1879. Mr. Wiesemann is a native of Germany, born in 1830. He came to America in 1856, and located at Hales Corners, where he engaged in brick making, which he continued four years, and then came to Milwaukee in 1860. He commenced business here as a live stock broker, which he conducted sixteen years. His son, Theodore, is now in the same business. He married Miss Mary Ruehle in 1854. They have two children. (this is in the other hotes and proprietors section)

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1432

 

JOSEPH E. WILDISH

JOSEPH E. WILDISH, attorney at law and Justice of the Peace, office No. 294 Water street, Residence 410 Greenbush street. Mr. Wildish was born January 18, 1849, in Lisbon Township, Waukesha County, Wisconsin. He graduated at the State University in June, 1875, and admitted to the Bar in Scott County, Iowa, February 19, 1877. He commenced the practice of law immediately after being admitted to the Bar. He has since admitted to the Supreme Court of Wisconsin, and the United States District and Circuit Courts. He was married January 16, 1879, to Miss Edity Van Wormer of Milwaukee. He was elected Justice of the Peace in the Spring of 1879, for the Fifth Judicial District. He was one of the editors and proprietors of the University Press at Madison, Wisconsin, from 1873 to the Spring of 1876, when he sold his interest and moved to Davenport, Iowa, where he studied with T.W. Gilruth, and was admitted to the Bar as previously mentioned. He was the Principal of the Northwestern Business College at Madison, after graduating at the University, until April, 1876. He is a son of Joseph and Harriet Wildish, of England, who came to America in 1837, and settled in Lisbon, Waukesha County, Wisconsin. His father was one of the first settler of the county. He died August 23, 1877. His wife is still living in Waukesha County with her son-in-law, Judge Griswold.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1657

 

CHAS A. WILLIAMS

CHAS. A. WILLIAMS, one of the proprietors of the Milwaukee Woolen Mills. He is a son of the late Joseph Williams and Catherine (Shields) Williams. He is a native of Milwaukee; born at the old homestead, on Kinnickinnic avenue, where his mother still resides, it being on a claim of one hundred and sixty acres which his father took up in 1836, the title never having been transferred. Mr. Williams received an academic education at Markham's Academy, in this city. He was married at Waukesha, in January, 1880, to Miss Grace Jameson, of that place, and formerly of New York State.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1658

 

WM. W. WILLIAMS

puddler, is a native of South Wales, born June 20, 1829, a son of William and Elizabeth Williams, who emigrated to Wisconsin in 1847, and settled on a farm in Genesee, Waukesha County, where his father died in the Spring of 1858, at the age of sixty-two years, and his mother is still living at the age of seventy-six. Mr. Williams was married August 14, 1854, to Miss Elizabeth Morgans. He learned his trade in Ironton, Ohio, where he lived seventeen years, and came to Milwaukee in August, 1867. They have two sons and two daughters, Elizabeth Ann, now Mrs., James Wilkinson, John T., aged seventeen, Wm. W., aged thirteen, and Hannah eight years of age.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1626

 

MISS HATTIE WINKLER

Miss Hattie Winkler, dealer in milliner and fancy goods, No. 581 Mitchell street, commenced business September 1, 1880, Miss Winkler is the daughter of Lorenz Winkler, who was born in Germany in 1821. He came to Milwaukee when a young man and married Miss Katie Glensen, in March, 1847. He died September 28, 1860. Miss Winkler is the second daughter living. The oldest is Mrs. Hartford, of Chicago.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1277

 

GARRETT W. WINNE

passenger agent, was born in Albany County, N.Y., November 20, 1816. He commenced railroading in 1850, on the New York Central Railroad as conductor, and continued with this company three and a half years; then engaged with the Albany & Northern Railroad, served this company (continued on page 1347) in the same capacity about an equal length of time. In 1857, he came to Milwaukee, and entered the employ of the Milwaukee & Prairie du Chien Railway as conductor on freight, serving in this position three and a half years, when he was promoted to passenger conductor, continuing in this capacity until 1871, when he retired from active service on the road and took charge of the Railway Hotel in Madison. This he ran two years, at the same time being in the employ of the company as lost car agent and outside passenger agent. He was appointed passenger agent of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, at Milwaukee, which position he still holds. Mr. Winne has been in the employ under its different administrations twenty-four years.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1344

 

WILLIAM N.D. WINNE

chief clerk of the auditor's department, general office, was born in Schenectady, New York, October 11, 1849; came to Madison, Wisconsin, with his parents in 1858; commenced in the accounting department of the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company, in March 1863; moved to Milwaukee and was appointed to his present position; has been in the company's employ eighteen years.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1347

 

J. & F. WITTIG

wholesale and retail dealers in gas-fixtures and plumbing materials, No. 485 East Water street. The business was established in 1855, by Smith & Senftleben, who continued it till 1861, and then sold it to Jacob Steinhardt. In 1865, the latter sold to the present proprietors. The business was started in a store 12x15, and Mr. Steinhardt had a store about the same size. The Wittig Brothers now have a store 20x62 feet, nicely furnished, and are doing a thriving business. They own the building in which their store is situated, a three-story brick, and also own two stores on Grand avenue, Nos. 224 and 226, and other property. They were both born in Saxony, and their parents emigrated to America, when they were respectively fourteen and eleven years of age, since which time they have been residents of Milwaukee.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1311

 

JACOB WOHLFAHRT

butcher, No. 936 Winnebago street, was born in this city, and commenced business in 1880. In 1874 Mr. Wohlfarhrt started to make a trip around the world. He went to California, from there to Australia, and thence to England. He then spent several months in France, returning to America in 1880. He was married in October. 1880, to Henrietta Brandt.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881

 

JABEZ WOLFENDEN

Jabez Wolfenden, foreman of boiler makers at the West Milwaukee shops, was born in Manchester, England, March 7, 1841; learned his trade in London; came to the United States in 1857, and worked at his trade in the boiler shops at Paterson, N.J. eight years; from 1870 to 1873 was foreman of the boiler shops of the Norris Locomotive Works at Lancster, P; in 1873 came to Milwaukee, and was appointed foreman of the boiler works known as the old Prairie du Chien shops, now of Chicago, Milwaukee, & St. Paul Railway; In 1876 went to Norfolk, Va. and was placed in charge of the boiler department of the Norfolk Manufacturing Company; in May, 1880, returned to Milwaukee and was appointed to his present position. Residence, No. 812 Hill Street.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1351

 

GUSTAV WOLTER

was born in Berlin, Germany, September 1, 1844. He came to America December 25, 1867, and settled in Milwaukee in 1868. He was married in Milwaukee September 6, 1877. They have two children, a son and a daughter.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1523

 

JOSEPH WOLTER

second foreman of Wolf & Davidson's ship-yard, was born in Milwaukee in 1857; learned his trade with this company, commencing April 1873, and has been foreman since 1878. His residence is No. 393 Grove street.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 469

 

MISS MARY YOUNG

fashionable millinery and dealer in worsted and fancy goods, No. 763 Teutonia street. Established this business in the Spring of 1880. She employs at present ten ladies in her store. Miss Young is a native of Racine, Wis. Daughter of Henry Young, of that city.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1277

 

WILLIAM YOUNG

William Young was born in Coburg, Canada West (now Ontario), June 20, 1830. He began his business life as a wholesale grocery and liquor house of Messrs. Benjamin Torrance & Co., Toronto. He first embarked in business for himself, in 1849, at Bytown (now Ottawa), where he opened a wholesale grocery store. He continued in business there for four years. In 1853 he moved to Montreal, and entered the grain and provision house of John Young & Co., where he remained five years. In 1858 he came West, and settled in Milwaukee, establishing a large commission business, and developing immediately a large trade with Montreal and other Canadian cities, through his previously long and favorable connections with the leading dealers in the province. He continued to do the largest part of the Canadian export trade in flour, grain and provisions at this point till the abrogation of the reciprocity treaty with Canada in 1863. The direct trade becoming thereby restricted, he turned his trade more into American channels, although his has ever since continued to be one of the leading Canadian houses in the West. He opened business in 1858 under the firm name of Wm. Young & Co., but had no active partner until 1862, when his younger brother Alex., became a partner. The business of the firm in Milwaukee has been owned and conducted in Milwaukee by the two brothers ever since. In 1872 the growing business of the firm induced them to open a house in Chicago. That branch, under the same name, is under the personal supervision of R.W. Dunham, who is also a partner in the Chicago business, but not partner here. In 1879, the business of the firm was still further extended by the establishment of a branch at the Chicago Union Stock Yards, where they do a leading commission business as receivers and purchasers of immense daily arrivals at the great center of the stock trade of the West. At the three great points where Mr. Young's business centers, his houses take first rank as to the amount of business transacted, ability, and financial strength. Mr. Young has conducted some of the boldest and most successful operations in the grain and provision trade, in which he has evinced the possession of rare skill, tact and business talent. He is one of the few who have survived the vicissitudes of the trade through all the trying periods of its existence without flinching, and carried his house safely through the financial storms and perils that have brought such general disaster to his contemporaries. His is now, although scarcely past middle age, at the head of three of the leading grain and provision houses in the West.

He has, in addition to his business above mentioned, been largely engaged in shipping, owning at one time four grain-carrying vessels, and having controlling interest in others. He has also become largely interested in mining in Colorado, and is to-day a large stockholder, Vice President and Treasurer of the Mineral Mountain Mining Company, one of the heaviest corporations in San Juan County.

Mr. Young was one of the prime movers in the organization of Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce, one of its charter members, and has been its constant and faithful friend. He has served on the Board of Directors, Board of Appeals, and on most of its important committees. He was also Vice President of the Chamber in 1865, and was elected and served as President the two succeeding terms of 1866 and 1867.

Although foreign born, Mr. Young is purely American in sentiment. He became a naturalized citizen at the beginning of the war, and was an ardent supporter of the government throughout the arduous and prolonged struggle, giving as lavishly and laoring as freely as though, "native and to the manor born."

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1146

 

J.H. YUNKER

leather findings, etc. No. 103 Wells street. He is a native of Hessen, Germany. IN 1852 he came to New York, thence to Paterson, N.Y. where he worked at the shoe trade about one year; then returned to New York; worked a short time there, and again went to New Jersey. In May, 1854, he came to Chicago, where he remained about three months; thence to Clayton County, Ia.; In November, 1854, returned to Chicago, thence to Milwaukee, where he has since resided. He worked at the boot and shoe trade till 1856. Then he opened a shoe store, which he ran about ten years. IN 1868 he commenced his present business, having less than $10 when he came to Milwaukee. By strict attention to business he has acquired a competence. Mr. Yunker married Mary Springleng in 1856. He was born in Hessen-Darmstadt. They have four sons.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, p. 1442

 

PAUL ZIEBELL

tailor, No. 546 Twelfth street, was born February 18, 1856, in Prussia. He came with his parents to Milwaukee in 1868. He married Miss Augusta Schmacher, March 29, 1880; she was born in Prussia, and came with her parents to America in 1868. They have one daughter, Clara. His father was born September 16, 1823, in Prussia. He was married in 1848 to Anna Ziebell; she was born in Prussia. They have four children, Augusta, Paul, John and Trangott.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, p. 1261

 

F. X ZACHER

restaurant and saloon, No 156 Reed street, was born in Bavaria. His father and himself carried on the butcher business till 1871, when he came to Eau Claire. April 1873 he came to Milwaukee and opened a restaurant and saloon, which occupation he has since been engaged in. Mr. Zacher married Walburga Troast in 1867. She was born in Bavaria. His father died in 1861, aged 53 years; his mother, 1878, aged 66; her father in 1861, aged 55 years; her mother, in 1859, aged 34 years.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1488

 

AUGUST ZEDLER

August Zedler, watchmaker, No 1151 Teutonia street, was born November 30, 1817, in Freistadt, Schlesvien, Prussia. He came to Milwaukee August 15, 1850,with his wife Miss Rosalie Strangfeld; she was born March 1, 1817. He opened a shop at his residence, corner of East Water and Johnson streets, where he remained until 1854, when he bought a small farm on the Green Bay road, in the Town of Milwaukee, and opened a private school, there being no public schools in the town. He was one of the founders of the Sixth School District of that town, and was for a number of years teacher in that District. In 1864 he sold his property and removed to his present location. Has four children--Meta, born May 14, 1855; Hugo, October 17, 1856; Ida, June 28, 1859, and Otto, born January 4, 1862."

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1269

 

GEORGE P. ZIEGLER

in the employ of his father, George Ziegler, confectioner; has been connected with this business for the past eleven years, and has had general charge of the business under his father for the past six years. He was married February 10, 1873, to Miss M. Weiser, daughter of Fred Weiser, an early settler. They have a son and daughter-Frank, aged five years, and Mary, aged two years.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1659

 

FRANK P. ZIEGLER

in charge of the confectionery manufactory department of his father, George Ziegler. He has been engaged in this business since 16 years of age, the last six years in charge of this department. He was born in this city October 9, 1856. In 1878 he was married to MIss Mary Klein, of this city, daughter of Joseph and Helen Klein. They have one daughter, Maggie, one year of age.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1659

 

GEORGE ZIEGLER

Manufacturing confectioner, Nos. 3 and 5 Grand avenue; established business in 1861, under the firm name of Boll Bros. Mr. Ziegler was admitted in 1865, the firm being Boll Bros. & C. One of the firm, A. Boll, retired in 1870, and John Boll, also a member of the firm, died in September 1873, since which time Mr. Ziegler has continued the business alone. The house was established with a capital of $3,800., and the annual trade for the first few years reached $30,000, most of which was city patronage. The stock carried at present is $30,000, and annual sales reach $250,000. Capital represented, $72,000. Five traveling salesman are employed, covering the States of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa, and Illinois. Eighty-two persons are employed in the manufactory. Mr. Ziegler was born in Bavaria, September 27, 1830, a son of George and Mary Ziegler. His mother died in Germany. His father, in August 1845, came in Milwaukee with his family. He died in January, 1865, aged 67. Mr. Ziegler, at the age of 18, learned the shoemaker's trade at which he worked up to 1865, and then engaged in his present business. He was married in this city in 1851, May 4, to Miss Barbara Boll. They have five sons and four daughters: George P., Margaret, Frank, Theodore, Pauline, Josephine, Chas., Andrew, and Anna. His wife died May 10, 1878. Mr. Ziegler was School Commissioner and member of the Common Council for two years.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1211

 

CHRISTIAN ZIMMER

proprietor of saloon, corner of Wind Lake and Eighth avenues, was born in Engelstadt, Grossherzogthum Hessen, Germany in 1831. Coming to Milwaukee in 1844 he married Miss Margaret Yocky in October, 1859. In 1863 he was Supervisor of the Town of Franklin. He established his present business in 1869. His wife died November 21, 1873, leaving two sons and three daughters. Mr. Zimmer married Miss Mary Sneyder in 1874. Was elected Alderman in the Spring of 1877 to represent the Eleventh Ward, and served one year.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg 1498

 

CHARLES V. ZIMMERMANN

Charles V. Zimmermann, Principal of the Eighth District School, was born near Stettin, on the Oder, Prussia, July 21, 1848. Came to the United States with his parents in September, 1856, and settled in MIlwauke, where the family continue to reside. Educated mainly in the public schools of Milwaukee and in the State Normal School in Plattville, Wisconsin. Began teaching in a parochial school in Milwaukee, in February, 1865, and in the Fall of the same year was appointed Principal of the intermediate department of the Second District School, and continued till the Fall of 1867, when he was appointed teacher of drawing in the Plattville Normal School. This position he resigned at the end of one year, on account of ill health. In the Fall of 1868 he was appointed teacher of geography, history, music, and drawing in the Northwestern German-English Normal School in Galena, Ill. After four years service in that position, he resigned, and for one year was teacher of German in the Fourth District School in Milwaukee. In September, 1873, upon the introduction of drawing into the course of study in the Milwaukee public schools, Mr. Zimmermann was appointed Superintendent of Drawing. His main work was the normal training of the teachers, and as a result of his five years' labors, drawing has become an appreciated fixture in the city schools of Milwaukee. In September, 1878, he was appointed to the position he now holds, as Principal of the Eighth District School,. Owns a residence on Thirty-fifth street, north of Wells. Was married in 1870, to Miss Elizabeth Brunner, of Galena, Illinois. They have four children. He has done much institute work in Wisconsin, both in drill and as a lecturer. Is a member of the State Teachers Association. Is secretary of the Occident Council No. 199 of the Royal Arcanum.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1507

 

VALENTINE ZIMMERMAN

VALENTINE ZIMMERMAN, is a son of Frederick Zimmerman who was born in 1811 and died in Milwaukee, December 5, 1873, his wife still surviving him. Valentine Zimmerman was married September 14, 1870 to Miss Mary H. Flynn, of Milwaukee. They have three sons living. James Zimmerman was born April 22, 1849 in Milwaukee. He was married October 26, 1880, to Miss Emily L. Showalter of this city. The West Branch of Zimmerman Bros.' store was established in October, 1878, at the corner of Twelfth and Cherry streets. B.H. Bockhorst, who has charge, was born in Germany, June 22,1841; has followed the business of a cutter of clothing since 1860. Came to America in May 1864 and to Milwaukee in 1866. Has been in business for himself for seven years, and with the present firm since 1878.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1247


Home Page | What's New Blog! | Deaths and Obituaries | Births and Marriages | Censuses and Directories | Business and Government | Marine and Shipbuilding | Military | Church and School | Charities and Organizations | Towns and Land Ownership | Immigration | Disasters and Mishaps | Contributors | Lookups | Photo Gallery


Disclaimer | Privacy Statement

PLEASE NOTE: I am not affiliated with any of the cemeteries or organizations listed on these pages. I am happy to answer general questions, but would not have more specific information other than what you see listed without doing additional research. If you need help with your research, please see the lookup page for a list of volunteers and paid services that can help.

This genealogy website maintained by Ellen M. Rohr
PO Box 1172
Brookfield, WI 53008-1172
Phone: 262-783-1620
Contact Me-

© 2012 Links To The Past

Please also visit the WIGenWeb State Website or Wisconsin County Pages