BAY VIEW'S IMMIGRANTS
Zillman Park, S. Kinnickinnic Ave. and E. Ward St., Milwaukee
From a quiet mid-19th-century farming community to a bustling industrial center along Kinninckinnic Avenue in only twenty years, Bay View's industrial transformation could not have occurred without the contributions of hundreds of immigrant workers who poured int the community's foundries, brickyards, machine shops, tanneries, and a glass factor, seeking employment in the last quarter of the 19th century. The first industrial workers in Bay View were recruited from Sheffield, England, for their knowledge of steel production, but over the years other immigrant workers from the British Isles, Ireland, Germany, Poland, and Italy, among others, would make Bay View one of the most ethnically diverse communities in Milwaukee.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1998 #373
BAY VIEW ROLLING MILL
S. Superior St. and E. Russell Ave., Milwaukee
Near this site in Bay View stood the Milwaukee Iron Company rolling mill, the first major heavy industry in the region and tan important producer of iron and steel for the Midwest. The mill, which opened in 1868, transformed ore from Dodge County and Lake Superior area mines into iron products, including thousands of tons of rail for the region's growing railroads. By 1885, more than 1500 people were employed at the plant, some recruited from the iron-producing districts of the British Isles, and the village of Bay View grew from a rural crossroads into an industrial community surrounding the rolling mill. On May 5, 1886, the mill was the scene of a major labor disturbance. Nearly 1500 strikers from around Milwaukee marched on the Bay View mill to dramatize their demand for an eight-hour work day. The local militia, called to the scene by Governor Jeremiah Rusk, fired on the crowd, killing seven people. The mill closed in 1929, and the buildings were demolished a decade later. But the community of Bay View remains, a neighborhood of mill workers' houses, shops, and churches.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1985 #276
State Park Main Gate S 81st St. and W. Greenfield Ave. West Allis
At the outbreak of the Spanish American War in April of 1898, President William McKinley called on the states to gather their military forces. State officials ordered the Wisconsin National Guard to report for duty at Camp Harvey, named for Wisconsin Civil War Governor Louis P. Harvey and located on the grounds of the Wisconsin State Fair Park. The Wisconsin National Guard had been established in 1879 to improve the existing militia system. The war with Spain (1898-1899) demonstrated for the first time the value of the National Guard as a reserve component of the army. In the time of crisis, the Guard units from Wisconsin and the other states could rapidly augment the small active-duty forces. Wisconsin contributed 5,469 men divided into four infantry regiments for service in the Spanish-American War. The First and Fourth Wisconsin Infantry regiments never left the United States. The Second and Third Wisconsin Infantry regiments participated in military operations in Puerto Rico, where they lost two men killed in action. A total of 132 Wisconsinites died from disease, principally typhoid fever.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1992 #319
CIVIL WAR CAMP
1756 N. Prospect Ave. Milwaukee
Near here a Civil War training camp was built in August 1861. Named Camp Holton, Camp Sigel, and finally Camp Reno, its boundaries were Prospect and Bartlett avenues with Lafayette and Royall places. Six Wisconsin infantry regiments, almost 7,000 men, were mustered in and equipped for the Union army here. Two other Civil War posts, Camps Scott and Washburn, were on the city's west side.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1989 #289
BOYHOOD HOME OF JEREMIAH CURTIN
(1835-1906) 8685 W. Grange Ave. Greendale
Born in Detroit of Irish Immigrant parents, Curtin came to Milwaukee in 1837 to join his mother's family, the Furlongs, an settle on a farm in Greenfield. IN the 1840s the Curtins moved into this typically Irish stone house described in Curtin's Memoirs After his father's death, Jeremiah persevered in his love for learning and languages and graduated from Harvard College in 1863. His command of Russian won him a position in the U.S. Legation in St. Petersburg in 1864, thus launching his forty-year worldwide career as linguist, translator (Sienkeiwicz's Quo Vadis), ethnologist, folklorist, and diplomat. He died and was buried at his wife's Vermont home in Bristol.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1973 #196
GREENFIELD: THE LAST TOWN OF MILWAUKEE COUNTY
7325 W. Forest Ave. Greenfield
Following the end of World War II, Milwaukee's rapid urban development forced the seven rural towns of Milwaukee County into annexation or incorporation. When Greenfield incorporated as a city in 1957, the last of Milwaukee County's towns disappeared and with it ended the system of town government Yankees brought to the area in the 1840s. Although Greenfield's original town plat of 36 square miles has been greatly reduced, this are has remained the center of civic activity for over 150 years.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1997 #342
1110 N. Old World Third Street, Milwaukee
In this vicinity, Kilbourntown, one of the three original Milwaukee settlements, was founded by surveyor and land speculator Byron Kilbourn in 1835. Kilbourntown's first residents were entrepreneurs from the East. In 1839, a small group of German immigrants from Pomerania arrived in Kilbourntown, heralding a major 19th-century immigration of German settlers. Concentrated in Kilbourntown, this German population helped Milwaukee become the “most German city” in the United States. By the 20th century, Kilbourntown's German population had substantially dispersed, and the area became a community of rich ethnic diversity, soon becoming the heart of downtown Milwaukee.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1998 #334
Civic Center, Milwaukee
MacArthur Square was designated on September 17, 1945, to honor General of the Army Douglas MacArthur for his leadership of Allied forces in the Pacific during World War II. MacArthur, his father General Arthur MacArthur, and his grandfather judge Arthur MacArthur were all residents of Milwaukee. Douglas lived at the Plankinton House and attended West Division High School. In 1898 he was appointed to the U.S. Military Academy by Milwaukee Congressman Theobald Otjen. Douglas MacArthur's final visit here was on April 27, 1951, when he received an honorary degree from Marquette University and spoke at this site.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1979 #255
In Triangle at S 57th W. Hayes Ave. and W. Filmore Dr. West Allis
This tract of land was once a part of the estate on which General William (Billy) Mitchell (1879-1936) lived as a boy. His fearless and inquisitive personality as a youth carried over into his military career when he spoke out against overwhelming odds for an adequate air force. After commanding U.S. Forces in France during World War I, he emerged as the nation's pioneer advocate of air power. He did not live to see the wisdom of his foresight, but all America now honors his great courage, heroism, and keen sense of judgment on the future of air power. This marker is erected to the memory of this great air pioneer by the West Allis Rotary Club.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1955 #041
(1898-1978) At Golda Meier Library on UW-Milwaukee Campus
The UWM Library is named for Golda Meir. Born Goldie Mabowehz in the Ukraine, she migrated to Milwaukee in 1906, was educated at Forth Street School and North Division High School and in present Mitchell Hall of Milwaukee Normal School (1916-1917). She and husband Morris Meyerson settled in Palestine in 1921. There she helped found the Irsael Labor Party, held high political and governmental posts, and eventually became prime minister (1969-74).
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1979 #257
461 N. 35th St. Milwaukee
In 1879, Sherburn S. Merrill, the general manager of the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad, purchased almost half a square mile in the Menomonee Valley to construct a massive railroad shop complex. By the early 1880s, the railroad company employed over 2500 workers. To provide housing for these workers, Merrill created “Merrill park” in 1883, a housing development between 27th and 35th streets. Desiring a “respectable” neighborhood, Merrill placed deed restrictions on his property, prohibiting “intoxicating liquors” and “livery stables.” New Englanders and German and English Immigrants, among others, settled in the area, and the neighborhood grew with a mixture of single-family houses, duplexes, cottages, and apartments. After the disastrous Third Ward fire of 1892 many Irish families moved west to Merrill Park, and by the early twentieth century, Merrill Park became Milwaukee's premier Irish neighborhood. The community remains one of Milwaukee's most ethically diverse.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1997 #355
FIRST MILWAUKEE CARGO PIER
Foot of E. Michigan St. Milwaukee
Near here, at the foot of Huron (now Clybourn) Street, the first cargo pier in Milwaukee harbor was built by Horatio Stevens, Richard Owens, Amos Tufts, and J. Kendall during the winter of 1842. The first vessel to dock at North Pier was the Cleveland, under command of Captain M. Hazard on June 1, 1843. The pier, 1200 feet long and 44 feet wide, with a freight shed at the end and a warehouse and tollgate at the entrance, permitted the unloading of freight and passengers from large vessels which could not enter the original mouth of the Milwaukee River, south of Jones Island. Near the pier was the first Milwaukee brewery, founded in 1840. In the following years, three more lakeshore piers were built, which created lively business activity on Milwaukee's east side, known as Juneautown. The first pier was destroyed during the winter of 1846 by strong winds and ice. The same fate later overtook the other piers. A new straight cut, opened in 1857, provided access to the Milwaukee River and to the downtown inner harbor which then developed.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1963 #036
MILWAUKEE COUNTY'S FIRST AIRPORT
Currie Park, Wauwatosa
One of the earliest publicly owned airports in the United States was established here on July 3, 1919, by the Milwaukee County Park Commission. The nation's first commercial air transport, the Lawson Airliner, took off from this field on August 27, 1919, on a demonstration flight to New York City and Washington, D.C. And returned on November 15, 1919. This two-engined biplane, 95 feet in wingspan, carried 16 passengers and two pilots. Milwaukee's first airmail was flown from here on June 7, 1926, by the Charles Dickinson Line, operating from Chicago to St. Paul via Milwaukee and La Crosse. This airport was deactivated during November 1926 when the need for more space led the county to purchase Hamilton Airport, the site of present General Mitchell Field.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1969 #168
MILWAUKEE DOWNER COLLEGE
N. Downer and E. Hartford aves., Milwaukee
On September 14, 1848, Mrs. William L. Parsons, the wife of a Congregational minister, opened the Milwaukee Female Seminary at the corner of Milwaukee and East Wells. Three years later it was chartered by legislature, thus placing Wisconsin in the vanguard of education at a time when colleges for women were almost unknown. A new building was erected at 1120 North Milwaukee Street. In 1855 the Wisconsin Female College, later named Downer College, was charted at Fox Lake. Both schools experienced financial difficulties until they merged to become Milwaukee Downer College in 1899. The two institutions combined their resources and moved in 1890 to this site, which became a new campus of forty wooded acres. When the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee purchased this campus in 1964, Milwaukee Downer moved to Appleton to join Lawrence College and is now part of Lawrence University.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1865 #147
MILWAUKEE INTERURBAN TERMINAL
231 W. Michigan St., Milwaukee
The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Company opened its terminal here in 1905. The first car entered this building January 1, 1905. At one time the system extended west to Madison, north to Sheboygan, and south to Kenosha. The final line was abandoned June 30, 1951. The first floor was the terminal area, with two waiting rooms and thirteen car tracks; it was the largest terminal of its kind in the United States.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1876 #236
THE MILWAUKEE SENTINEL
Wisconsin's oldest Newspaper 1000 E. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee
The Milwaukee Sentinel has chronicled the events of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the world longer than any other newspaper in the sate. Founded as a weekly on June 27, 1837, by Solomon Juneau, Milwaukee's first mayor, the Sentinel was first published near this site next to Juneau's fur-trading post. On December 9, 1844, the Sentinel became Milwaukee's first daily newspaper. Its coverage of Wisconsin and Milwaukee news in the nineteenth century makes it an outstanding historical resource.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1987 #285
GENERAL MITCHELL FIELD
Layton Avenue, E. of Howell Avenue, N. of Mitchell Field, Milwaukee
In 1920 Thomas Hamilton established a flying field on East Layton Avenue, the field was purchased by Milwaukee County on October 29, 1926. As commercial aviation grew, the field and its operations expanded. The first scheduled passenger service began on July 1, 1927, and Thomas Hamilton started production of the all-metal passenger airplane the same year. On August 31, 1929, the Kohler line started passenger service across Lake Michigan, basing their winter operations here. On March 17, 1941, the airport was named in honor of Milwaukee's famous air-powered pioneer, General William Mitchell. Other famous fliers, such as Charles Lindbergh, Lester Maitland, the Breman fliers, Wiley Post, and Eddie Rickenbacher, visited this field. Today General Mitchell Field is the principal airport in the state, serving the metropolitan area of southeastern Wisconsin.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1976 #222
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee N. Downer Ave.
Milwaukee's State Normal School, which was founded in 1885 on the city's west side to train teachers, relocated in 1909 to this building, Mitchell Hall, then located on 11 ½ acres. Designed by Van Ryn and de Gellecke, expanded in 1912, and named after a distinguished Milwaukee family, Mitchell Hall continued as “Old Main” when the institution became degree-granting Milwaukee State Teachers College in 1927 and Wisconsin State College in 1951. The College merged with the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Extension Center in 1955 to become the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The campus soon expanded to 91 acres, facilities were continuously constructed, and both undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including doctorates, grew and developed, with a student body of more than 25,000 as early as 1974. Mitchell Hall, renovated in 1977, continues to provide major classroom and office facilities.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1987 #309
NATIONAL SOLDIERS' HOME
Zablocki VA Medical Center 5000 N. National Ave. Milwaukee
The Wisconsin Soldiers Home Association was formed in 1864 by a coalition of women's charitable organizations led by Lydia Hewitt, Hanna Vedder, and Mrs. E.I. Buttrick of Milwaukee. The association raised funds to endow a hospital where sick and wounded Civil War soldiers could receive medical treatment and longterm domiciliary care. After securing a state appropriation of $5000. the association staged a spectacular public event known as the Soldiers Home Fair, which opened in Milwaukee on June 29, 1865, and raised more than $110,000. The proceeds from the Soldiers' Home Fair enabled the association to purchase land and establish a hospital. In 1867, the association transferred its property and remaining funds to the federal government for the establishment of the National Asylum for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, Northwestern Branch. Dr. Erastus B. Wolcott of Milwaukee, the state's surgeon general during the Civil War, was appointed by Congress to head the governing board of the home. In 1869, the noted architect Edward Townsend Mix designed the High Victorian Gothic Structure “Old Main,” now known as Building No. 2. The hospital was renamed the Clement J. Zablocki Veterans Administration Medical Center in 1985.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1989 #288
OLD NORTH POINT WATER TOWER
E. North Avenue, between N. Lake Drive and N. Terrace Avenue, Milw.
The 1871 Wisconsin legislature authorized the city of Milwaukee to finance and build a public water system. By 1873 the Board of Water Commissioners had constructed the old North Point Pumping Station below the bluff with intake from Lake Michigan, this tower, a reservoir a mile west, and 55 miles of water mains, delivering cheap, plentiful, pure water to Milwaukee's people and industry. This 175-foot Victorian Gothic tower, designed by Charles A. Gombert and made of cut Niagra limestone from Wauwatosa, houses a circular wrought-iron standpipe 120 feet high and four feet in diameter. Until construction of a new pumping station in 1963, the standpipe water absorbed pulsations of reciprocating steam-driven engines, and the tower prevented ice from forming in the standpipe during cold weather.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1975 #201
ONEIDA STREET STATION
T.M.E.R. And I. Co. N. Edison and E. Wells Sts., Milwaukee
In this station pulverized coal was first successfully burned continuously and at high efficiencies in furnaces of stationary steam boilers, November 11-15, 1919. This radical departure from conventional firing methods of the period was vigorously opposed by some engineers during its early stages. It soon met with local, national, and international acceptance, and has resulted in great benefits to mankind through reduced cost of electric power and conservation of fuel resources.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1958 #057
CAPTAIN FREDERICK PABST
(1836-1904) Pabst Mansion 2000 W. Wisconsin Avenue Milwaukee
Of German birth, Pabst became a ship's captain in the 1850s and moved to Milwaukee in the 1860s. He later joined his father-in-laws brewery (founded 1844) which was renamed the Pabst Brewery in 1889. By the 1890s it was the world's largest lager beer brewery, and he was Milwaukee's leading citizen. The Captains' elegant Flemish Renaissance Revival mansion was designed by George Bowman Ferry and constructed on fashionable Grand Avenue 1890-93. Its pavilion housed the Pabst Brewery exhibit at the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893. Between 1908 and 1975 five Catholic archbishops resided here. In 1978 Wisconsin Heritages, Inc. purchased the property. Pabst also erected the city's first skyscraper (1891), rebuilt the Pabst Theater (1895), operated the Whitefish Bay Resort, headed the Wisconsin National Bank, and owned a local hotel and many saloons, a hops farm and street railway in Wauwatosa, and hotels and restaurants elsewhere in the nation.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1992 #310
144 E.Wells St. Milwaukee
Designed by Otto Strack and built by Milwaukee brewing magnate Captain Frederick Pabst, the Pabst Theater was constructed on the site of an earlier opera house destroyed by fire in 1895. The Pabst was completed in just six months and opened on November 9, 1895. One of the first all-electric theaters, the Pabst also included such innovations as air conditioning and fireproof construction. The Pabst was home to one of the first German theater companies in the United States and epitomized German culture in Wisconsin while also featuring this nation's greatest artists on its stage.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1992 #310
MABEL WANDA RAIMEY
(1895-1986) Marquette University Law School 1103 W. Wisconsin Ave. Milwaukee
Mabel Raimey was the first African-American woman attorney in Wisconsin and the first to graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (1918). She attended Marquette University Law School and was admitted to the Wisconsin Bar in 1927. An original Milwaukee Urban League board member, Raimey was also a founder of the Northside YWCA and the Epsilon Kappa Omega Chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. She was a trustee of the West Allis Tabernacle Baptist Church. The Milwaukee Chapter of the National Association of Black Women Attorneys is named in her honor.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1999 # 412
SAINT JOHN'S INFIRMARY
N. Lake Drive and E. North Avenue, Milwaukee
Founded May 15, 1848, with the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul providing direction and nursing, St. John's Infirmary offered Wisconsin's first public hospital care under the supervision of the patient's physician. (Prior institutions merely isolated the sick; no medical care was given.) St. John's original location was the southeast corner of Jackson and Wells streets. In 1855 it was moved downtown, and in 1858, it was built on this site on three acres given them by the city. The name was changed to St. Mary's Hospital. It was also a Marine Hospital for Great Lakes seaman. During the Civil War, the sisters cared for as many as 110 casualties at one time. A famed chief surgeon here was Dr. Erastus B. Wolcott. His achievements included the first recorded kidney removal, on June 4, 1861.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1966 #155
FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN CHURCH BUILT IN WISCONSIN
N. 4th St. and W. Kilbourn Ave., Milwaukee
St. Mark African Methodist Episcopal Church, the first African American church built in Wisconsin, once stood on this site. The property was purchased in 1869, the year the congregation was organized. Construction began on the St. Mark A.M.E. Church began in November 1886, under the direction of Rev. William R. Alexander, pastor. Dedicatory services were held on April 3, 1887. St. Mark's congregation spent 43 years at this site, during which time the membership grew and the church, known as the “Friendly Church,” became the center of religious, civic, and cultural affairs for the African-American Community.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1990 #294
SAINT MARY'S SCHOOL OF NURSING
2320 N. Lake Drive, Milwaukee
Formal nurses' training in the United States began in Boston in 1872. In 1888 the Woman's Club of Wisconsin organized the Wisconsin Training School for Nurses, patterned after the Bellevue School of Nursing in New York. In 1894, the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul launched Wisconsin's first private hospital and organized a training school for nurses at St. Mary's Hospital, Milwaukee. The two-year curriculum was expanded to three in 1901, and a diploma was awarded upon graduation. The school, incorporated separately in 1912, became state-accredited in 1913 and nationally accredited in 1940. Affiliation with other institutions of learning began in 1924. The name was changed in 1932 to denote the transition from training to education. Rising costs and growth of college degree programs brought voluntary dissolution in 1969 after having graduated 1,913 nurses.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1972 #186
CARL SANDBURG HALL
UW-Milwaukee Campus N. Maryland and E. Hartford Avenues
Carl Sandburg (1878-1967), poet, balladeer, biographer of Lincoln, soldier in the Spanish-American War, came from Illinois to Wisconsin in December 1907 as a state organizer for the Social-Democrat Party in easter Wisconsin. After marrying Lillian Steichen of Menomonee Falls in 1908, he traveled the state with the Debs “Red Special” presidential campaign train and worked for the Wisconsin Anti-Tuberculosis Association, Kroeger's store, and several Milwaukee Newspapers before serving as secretary to Socialist Mayor Emil Seidel for nearly a year. Then he joined the Social-Democratic Herald and Victor Berger's Milwaukee Leader, while residing at 3324 North Cambridge Street. He left Milwaukee permanently in September 1912 for Chicago, where he actively involved himself in its poetic renaissance.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1975 #206
NICHOLAS SENN, M.D.
(1844-1908) N. 3rd and W. Juneau Sts. Milwaukee
In a laboratory under the sidewalk of his office at this site, in the 1870s, Dr. Senn conducted far-reaching experiments which led to internatioanl renown as the “great master of abdominal surgery.” He was one of Wisconsin's greatest surgeons, physicians, and medical pioneers, and the 49th president of the American Medical Association. Dr. Senn was a founder of the Association of Military Surgeions of the U.S.A.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Re-Erected 1997 # 096
4145 N. Oakland Ave., Shorewood
The Shorewood Armory, once located near Capitol Drive and Oakland Avenue, was home to the calvary unit of the Wisconsin National Guard from 1910 to 1930. Originally called the Light Horse Squardron, the calvary drilled their horses on the thirty-acre armory grounds and the streets of Shorewood. The armory complex included military offices, the commander's house, a dormitory, a gymnasium, and a large barn with sixty-five stables. Shorewood's rapid suburban expansion forced the calvary until to move in 1931.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1998 #367
SHOREWOOD HIGH SCHOOL
1701 E. Capitol Drive Shorewood
A forerunner in secondary-school design, Shorewood High School is modeled on a university campus plan. Constructed between 1924 and 1938 by Milwaukee architects Herbst and Kuenzli, the school includes separate buildings for administration, physical education, arts and sciences, and theater arts. The splendid auditorium also serves the Shorewood community.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1998 #368
SHOREWOOD VILLAGE HALL
3930 N. Murray Ave. Shorewood
Shorewood Village Hall was built in 1908 as a four-room school to serve Shorewood, then called East Milwaukee. In 1915 this building became the seat of village government. The building was extensively remodeled in 1937 with Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds, and again in 1985. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1998 #369
THIRD WARD FIRE
200 N. Broadway
On the evening of October 28, 1892, an exploding oil barrel started a small fire in the Union Oil and Paint Company warehouse, which was located at 323 N. Water Street. Another fire broke out in a nearby factory in the 300 block of N. Broadway, where Commission Row is now located. Before morning, 4 persons had died, 215 railroad cars were consumed, 440 buildings were destroyed, and more than 1,900 people in the Irish community were left homeless. In all, the “mountain of fire” engulfed 16 city blocks within the district. Property loss, the greatest in Milwaukee history, was estimated at 5 million dollars at the time. Reconstruction began immediately. Within 30 years, predominantly Italian warehouse and manufacturing businesses had rebuilt in the area, with a majority of the buildings dating from the 1890s. Today, the magnificent buildings of the Historic Third Ward stand as a tribute to the prominent architects who designed the structures and to those merchants who rebuilt the district as the center of the dry goods commerce in Milwaukee.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1991 #311
INVENTION OF THE TYPEWRITER
N. 4th and W. State Sts., Milwaukee's
At 318 State Street, approximately 300 feet northeast of here, C. Latham Sholes perfected the first practical typewriter in September, 1869. Here he worked during the summer with Carlos Glidden, Samuel W. Soule, and Matthias Schwalbach in the machine shop of C.F. Kleinsteuber. During the next six years, money for further development of the typewriter was advanced by James Densmore, who later gained the controlling interest and sold it to E. Remington and Sons of Ilion, N.Y.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1956 #043
WATERTOWN PLANK ROAD
Miller Brewing Co. N. 40th and W. State Streets, Milwaukee
Started in 1848 and completed in 1853. extended 58 miles west from Milwaukee on a course roughly paralleling State Street past the Frederick Miller Plank Road Brewery through Wauwatosa, Pewaukee, and Oconomowoc to Watertown. The $100,000 rpad pf white-oak planks provided a route for farm products, wood, lime, and passenger vehicles. It cut round-trip travel time to three days, all at a toll of about one cent a mile.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1955 #036
WISCONSIN'S LIME INDUSTRY
8801 W. Grange Ave., Greendale
Lime production was an important nineteenth-century industry in southeastern Wisconsin, primarily because the region's geology provided abundant Silurian dolomite rock that was easily quarried. High-quality lime, used mainly in mortar and plaster, was produced by burning dolomite in wood-fired stone kilns. Over one million barrels of lime were produced annually in the 1880s, some shipped to surrounding states. Many of the lime manufactures also quarried limestone used in building construction and praised for its beauty and durability. The lime works of Trimborn Farm park and nearby quarries represent a relatively unaltered nineteenth-century example of the lime industry.. Werner Trimborn began his lime business here in 1851, and it became one of the largest in Milwaukee County. The lime industry expanded with the construction boom in Milwaukee in the 1880s but then declined; ended about 1900 due to increased fuel costs and imporation of new building materials. By then, dairying had become the main business of Trimborn Farm. The Trimborn barn and kilns and neighboring Jeremiah Curtin House remain as excellent examples of the use of local stone and lime.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1986 #280
WISCONSIN STATE FAIR PARK
State Park, Main Gate S. 81st St and W. Greenfield Ave., West Allis
In 1892, this site became the permanent home of the Wisconsin State Fair after its purchase a year earlier by the State Agricultural Society. Until then, the fair had moved annually since the first one in Janesville in 1851. Over the years, State Fair Park has not only showcased agriculture but also military, recreational, and cultural activities. The Park housed troops and equipment for the Spanish-American War and for World Wars I and II. It has featured auto races since 1903, Green Bay Packer football games from 1934 to 1950s. And world-class speed skating at its Olympic-sized rink since 1966. Cultural phenomena demonstrated at past fairs included cooking with gas (1859), airplane flight (1911), and television (1932). The State Fair Park Board, created in 1971. became an independent state agency in 1990. State Fair Park attracts two million visitors to hundreds of events throughout the year, including the fair, the state's oldest and largest annual event.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1993 # 320
ERASTUS B. WOLCOTT, M.D.
(1804-1880) Grounds of the VA Hospital 5000 W. National Ave., Milwaukee
Dr. Erastus B. Wolcott was an originator of the idea for a national soldiers' home in Milwaukee. A spirited leader in medicine, business, and government, he was state surgeon general during the Civil War and an ardent advocate for what is now the Veterans Administration Hospital at Wood. The hospital was established in 1867, amd Dr. Wolcott was appointed by Congress to the national governing board. Dr. Wolcott was a founder of the State Medical Society in 1841 and the Medical Society of Milwaukee County in 1846. He made surgical history in 1861 as the first physician to remove a diseased kidney. In 1869 he married Dr. Laura J. Ross, the first woman admitted to a medical society in Wisconsin and one of the first three American woman physicians. She erected the monument to Dr. Wolcott in Milwaukee's Lake Park.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1972 #043
CARL FREDERICK ZEIDLER
(1908-1942 300 Block of W. Michigan St., Milwaukee
Milwaukee born and educated, lawyer Carl F. Zeidler became Milwaukee's 33rd mayor in April, 1940. when he defeated Daniel W. Hoan, Socialist mayor since 1916. In April 1942, Zeidler left office to enter the service as a U.S. Navy Lieutenant (J.G.). On the night of November 7, 1942, the merchant ship LaSalle, on which he commanded a gunnery crew, was torpedoed off Cape Town, South Africa, with the loss of all hands.
Wisconsin State Historical Marker Erected 1980 #300