James Soukop, Milwaukee Teamster Murdered by Antonio Balistiere

July 12, 1897

Source: The Milwaukee Journal, (Milwaukee, WI) [Wednesday], [July 14, 1897]; pg. 3; col B

James Soukop's Remains to Be Interred at Union Cemetery

The funeral services of James Soukop who was murdered by an Italian Monday morning, will be held tomorrow at 2 o'clock from his late boarding-house 665 Eleventh street. The Interment will be at the Union cemetery. Soukop's parents live at 1109 Chestnut street.

An inquest was held by a coroner's jury at 10 o'clock this morning and a verdict was handed in to the effect that he had come to his death by a revolver in the hands of an Italian, name unknown, between the hours of 11 and 12, on Monday morning, on Buffalo street, between Jackson and Jefferson streets.

Soukop's murderer has not yet' been landed behind the bards of the county jail. While the police are positive that they know the man they are considerably at sea as to his whereabouts. Their diligent search of the city has so far failed to disclose the hiding place and they are becoming more disposed to the theory that the much wanted criminal has shaken the dust of Milwaukee from his feet.

Many reports as to his place of employment have found to be false, among them one to the effect that he had worked for G. Celino of Wisconsin street. The policy have found that the man had been in Milwaukee only three months before the tragedy of Monday.

All the Italians who have been arrested in connection with this case were released yesterday, as nothing could be gotten out of them and there was no direct evidence of connivance on their part.

Source: The Milwaukee Journal, (Milwaukee, WI) Monday, July 12, 1897; pg. 3; col A


James Soukop becomes the target of a vengeful Italian.

Excitement in the Third Ward

It is supposed that the Italian mistook Soukop for Another Man Who Had Threatened Him. The Bloodthirsty Marksman Runs Away.

The Third ward was thrown into a state of excitement this forenoon by a sensational shooting affray, as a result of which James Soukop, a teamster of R. Godfrey, a commission merchant, may eventually die.

Soukop was driving along Buffalo street near Jackson, at 11 o'clock on his way back to Godfrey's store, when an undersized Italian, without warning, ran down the street with a drawn revolver. He fired four times at Soukop, two of the shots lodging in the back and side.

At the first shot Soukop turned around then lashed his horses frantically to escape from the Italian, who seemed to be greatly enraged. Soukop found strength to complete his trip and staggered into Godfrey's place with shirt stained with blood. He managed to gasp out a few words and fell.

Some brandy was given him and an ambulance summoned in which he was taken to the Emergency hospital, where the bullets were proved for.

Meanwhile the streets in the vicinity were crowded with people and if the Italian had been found, he might have been summarily handled.

The Italian whose name is not known, escaped after the shooting by running up a near-by alley and being lost to sight. Policemen Kelly, King and two others were sent to the place when news was brought to the station, but no trace was left by which they could find the man.

It was said at Godfrey's that the Italian had been engaged in an altercation with one of Godfrey's teamsters on Saturday and was roughly handled. He very evidently mistook Soukop for the mane when he saw him and shot at him. The wounded man, who boards at Eleventh and Vine streets, had been in Godfrey's employ as a teamster for ten years. He bore the reputation of being quiet and orderly and had never, it is stated, given the Italian cause for the use of violence.

There were two boys on the wagon with him at the time of the shooting, but neither were injured. Mr. Soukop was returning from the Northwestern depot with a wagon of bananas. he was shot without a moment's warning.

Source: The Milwaukee Journal, (Milwaukee, WI) Tuesday, July 13, 1897; pg. 3; col A


Officers hard at work locating James Soukop's Murderer

Italians Objects of Anger

They refuse to Give any Information as to the Murderer-Other Residents of the Ward all Incensed Against Them

The Italian who yesterday afternoon shot James Soukop, a teamster in the employ of E.R. Godfrey & Sons, is still at large.

Soukop died last night at 9 o'clock at the Emergency hospital. One of the bullets had taken effect in his intestines and the other near his spine. He made an ante-mortem statement. The substance of it was that he had never had any trouble with the Italian, who he knew well by site, and that he first saw four Italians on the sidewalk on Buffalo street between Jefferson and Jackson streets. The men began to jeer at him and then another Italian came out of the alley and threw stones at him. Soukop beat the man off with his whip and then the shooting began.

Inspector Riemer said this morning that he knew beyond doubt the man who did the shooting, although the police refuse to disclose his identity. Handicapped as they are in search for the Italian, the police are confident of bagging their game inside of forty-eight hours at most.

Fifteen specials, patrolmen and detectives have been detailed on the case and the majority are the pick of Milwaukee's force. A systematic method of procedure has been arranged by Chief Janssen and Inspector Riemer and the search is being prosecuted with the utmost vigor and determination.

Italian Quarter Searched.

The Italian quarter of the city, in the Third ward, has been thoroughly searched, every haunt visited and dwellings, barns and other buildings over-hauled from top to bottom.

These places have been found swarming with Italians and the surroundings are crowded with squalid. Nine persons are often found in one room, but the swarthy sons of Italy are as immovable as a sphinx when questions as to the murderer are put to them. Their obstinate demeanor in this respect, while it has thoroughly disgusted the police, has only stimulated them to more active methods.

There is not the slightest doubt in the minds of the police that the murderer is being aided by his fellow countrymen. The Italians have before given the police great trouble in their search for criminals and when a man not an Italian is killed by one of their number, the handicap is almost insurmountable.

Italians Afraid to Talk

The Italians who were arrested last night in the raid of the house at 160 Buffalo street, where the murderer was thought to have lived, were undoubtedly intimate friends of the man, but profess ignorance as to him. Even if one of them would wish to give information the fear of the vengeance of the countrymen would deter him it is said. The police, however, have in custody an Italian whom they finally expect to aid them.

From all indications, the murderer is not in town, the changes for his escape during the excitement before the police arrived having been favorable. An Italian was heard to remark this morning "Do police no getta him; he be in Italia in two or three weeks."

The man has been described to the police man as a man of about 35 years old, very dark and with a pointed black moustache. He wore light trousers and a blue jumper when last seen and is said to have been recently employed in the fruit store of G. Celino, on Wisconsin street, near the Northwestern depot.

Feeling Against the Italians.

The Third ward was still in a state of excitement this morning and teh murder was the solo topic of conversation. Outside of the Italian quarter, a very little feeling exists toward them and threats are heard on every side. Groups can be seen on every street corner discussing the crime and the appearance of a policemen speedily beings a crowd in the blue-coat's wake.

There is no doubt that Soukop was mistaken for a teamster who thrashed an Italian on Saturday. The trouble came about in the wise. Some berries were being unloaded in front of one of the commission stores on Broadway. An Italian youngster was noticed by John Sieberlich, a groceryman, injuring some of the fruit. Sieberlich told one of the commission men, who seized the brown-skinned lad by the collar and shook him. An Italian lounging nearby had seen Sieberlich tell the commission man and struck him in the chest. The commission man and a teamster immediately went to the rescue of Sieberlich who is a sickly man, and gave the Italian a thorough thrashing.

While performing the operation, one of them was cut above the eye with a knife. For a long time, enmity has existed between the commission and the Italian.

Source: The Milwaukee Journal, (Milwaukee, WI) Saturday, July 17, 1897; pg. 10; col D

Reply to Dr. M'Dill

Emergency Hospital Resident Physician Discusses Soukop Case

The statements made by Dr. McDill to the effect that James Soukop bled to death last Monday caused a great deal of comment at the Emergency hospital today. Dr. Bowman, when seen by a Journal representative this afternoon said that he was very glad to have an opportunity to answer some of the statements made. He had a copy of the article in question already marked.

"In the first place," said Dr. Bowman, "it said 'no surgeon was there.' that is wrong as I was here. It says that 'James Soukop lacked medical attendance." That is wrong, as I gave him all the medical attendance that was necessary. It is true that the doctors on the regular staff of the hospital could not be found at once, but I myself cared for the wounded man and did everything that could be done for him. I did not perform an operation, as the case was so serious that I wanted to have some other physicians at hand before I attempted it.

"Drs. Nolte and Schiller were on the hospital staff and I telephoned for them but was unable to get either of them. At about 2 o'clock I sent for Dr. McDill. He came over, but declined to have anything to do with the case until Dr. Nolte came, claiming that the case rightful belonged to Dr. Nolte. Meantime the man was bleeding profusely, of course, but I had bound his wounds and cared for him all I could. If it were decided that an operation were not advisable, nothing more could be done for him than was done.

"Dr. McDill delayed giving the man attendance himself for over two hours and then goes before the committee and says that the delay was the fault of the system. If the man needed immediate attention, why did he not give it to him at once as soon as he arrived instead of waiting for Dr. Nolte of two hours?

"But supposing that the wound had not been necessarily fatal and that prompt action would have saved the man. Would not the delay of two hours from noon to 2 o'clock been very serious?" was asked.

"There would have been no delay in attending to him," said Dr. Bowman. "I would have given him all the attention he needed. The article this morning gives the impression that there was no competent man here and that instead of being here attending to my business, I was off to some ball game or somewhere else. That is an entirely wrong impression and does me an injustice. I am a young doctor, just starting in the profession, and it makes a great deal of difference to me what statements are made concerning my work. I am always here, and ready for any case that is brought. Just a few minutes ago a man was brought here with a radial artery severed. If it had not been promptly attended to, he would have bled to death in a few hours, but I fixed him up and sent him away.

"Dr. McDill admitted during the operation that nothing could be done for the man and that the would was necessarily fatal. I worked two hours steady over the man and did all that could be done."

The charges against the hospital were made yesterday by Dr. McDill at the meeting of the judiciary committee of the council, when the proposition of the Emergency hospital association to take charge of the hospital in consideration of $4,000 a year and the permission to receive its private patients there was laid over for two weeks.

Dr. John R. McDill made the statement that James Soukop, the teamster who was recently shot by an Italian, lay in the hospital from about noon until nearly 4 o'clock before the operation by which, for all than was then known, the life of the injured man might be saved, was begun. At 2 o'clock, Dr. McGill said, he was called to the hospital. He was not on the staff but responded promptly and found that the hospital people had been telephoning all over town for one of their own physicians but that none could be found. Dr. Nolte was the man who aught to have attended to the case but he was busy with his large practice and could not be found.

Nobody could be blamed for the long delay, it being entirely the fault of the hospital system. The wounded an became so weakened that he could not recover from the operation. The man would have died anyway, the post mortem showing that the wounds were fatal, but if the bullet had not penetrated quite so far, the man would have died from hemorrhage, when he might have been saved by prompt attention.

Source: The Milwaukee Journal, (Milwaukee, WI) [Thursday], [July 22, 1897]; pg. 3; col C

In A Police Net

Antonio Balistiere, the murderer of James Soukop, Caught in Boston

He confesses to the Crime

Balistiere was Peddling Crabs in the Streets of the Classic Eastern City When Detective Dennis Sullivan Pounced Upon Him.

The policy were in high feather this morning over the arrest in Boston last evening of Antonio Balistiere, the murder of James Soukop. Everyone in the station, from Chief Janssen down to the latest acquisition to Milwaukee's finest, rejoiced. The news was flashed over the wire late last night to Chief Janssen from Dennis Sullivan that he, in company with two of the Boston police, had arrested the man at his lodging house in Quincy court, in the Italian quarters of Boston. Balistiere confessed to the crime when his identification was established by a 9-year-old boy who was on the wagon when Soukop was shot.

The murderer was locked up in the Boston police headquarters and the Milwaukee authorities were at once notified of the arrest. Since Tuesday night of last week the day after he had fired two fatal shots into Soukop's body, he had been peddling crabs on the streets of Boston. He was first seen on the streets last night by Sullivan and followed to his lodging house. To Sullivan the Italian said that he had been provoked to the deed by Soukop. Balistiere claimed that the teamster drove by his home at 160 Buffalo street and reviled him, besides hitting him in the chest with a brick. Enraged at this treatment, he had run after he wagon and fired four shots at Soukop. He expressed deep regret on hearing that Soukop was dead.

Inspector Riemer puffed contently at his favorite meerschsum this morning. The turnkey was whistling a lively tune in the midst of the grim surroundings. The round features of the station-keeper were constantly wreathed in smiles and patrolmen swung their clubs with a jauntier air then usual.

"We'll have Balistiere here some time on Tuesday," said Inspector Riemer to The Journal representative. "Detective Koehler left for Madison this morning and should have the requisition papers by tonight. From there he will go directly to Boston by way of Chicago. I expect him to arrive in Boson on Sunday morning by the latest. The formalities in regard to the requestion papers will consume little time and he and Dennis Sullivan will leave there as soon as possible.

"Well, it's all over and the people have had their fun poking at us. That's only nature, though, and it doesn't hurt us. I know for a fact that Balistere did not stay five minutes in the city after shooting Soukop. He got a flying start and kept it. When the affair was reported here the an was fully fifteen miles out of town, bound for Chicago. Those Italians are sly ones and the fact that this one was in Boson before midnight on Tuesday, shows that he made good time. Consequently those fairy-tales as to his having been arrested and then released and others of the same caliber are exploded by the facts of the case.

"We have known for more than a week that he was in Boston. Letters and telegrams passing between himself and his brother furnished the clue. A week ago Wednesday a lengthy telegram was sent to the Boston police, asking for his arrest. We expected an answer all that day and as it did not come, I sent Sullivan after the man. He took with him the boy who was with Soukop at the time of the shooting. The boy had only seen him once, but was confident that he could recognize him.

"On Monday Sullivan arrived in Boston and soon had his man located in the Italian colony. Every night we heard for Sullivan, but he had not yet arrested the man. He spent most of his time in the Italian quarters and got him yesterday. All the men deserve great credit for the work they have put in on the case.

"We were afraid that Balistiere would leave for Italy before we could get him, but he didn't have the money. An Italian doesn't care to go back to sunny Italy unless he has enough money to support himself without work. Sullivan says that Balistiere is willing to come back and he won't experience any difficulty on that score with Sullivan and Koeller in charge. Balistiere's brothers left for San Francisco Wednesday, but they had that trip in view some time before the murder."

Balistiere came from Sicily three years ago and is 35 years of age. He has a wife and three children in Sicily and visited them last fall. He peddled fruit in Milwaukee and had never been before the police on any charge.

Dennis Sullivan, who caught the man, is one of the most experience men on the force. He was appointed as a policeman in 1880 and was promoted to the detective force in 1882. Sullivan resigned in 1885, but in 1887 accepted an appointment as a patrolman. The next year he was appointed a detective and has held the position since, being detailed on most of the important cases. Koeller is his working partner.

Source: The Milwaukee Sentinel, (Milwaukee, WI) Saturday, July 24, 1897; col G

Antonio Balistiere is Desperate

Makes three attempts to end his life

Found nearly dead each time by guards in the jail.

Taken in a straight jacket to the depot

He tells Detective Sullivan That He Will Kill Himself at the First Opportunity-The Slayer of Sokop Dreads Life Imprisonment and Prefers Death-He Resorts to Methods of Hanging, using a Hankerchief, Suspender and Part of His Shirt.

Boston, Mass., July 23-Unless a careful watch is kept on Antonio Balistiere, the confessed slayer of James Sokop, he will not reach Milwaukee, Wis., alive.

He left this afternoon in charge of Detective Sullivan. maddened by harassing thoughts and a possible life sentence at the penitentiary, Balistiere made three in-effectual attempts to kill himself while confined at the station. He first sought to end his career about 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Then he twisted his large bandanna hankerchief about his neck and then tied the loose end to an iron bar in his cell door. This done he threw himself forward in a manner which brought his entire weight on the knot about his neck. The life was nigh out of him when Patrolman Gleason happened down the corridor, saw his perilous plight and cut him down.

Two hours after the Patrolman Sheehan, in the guard room, heard a suspicious sound. He hurried to Balistiere;s cell. The barred door inside was covered by the prisoner, whose body swayed to and for like the pendulum of a clock. HIs legs could have touched the floor had he been so inclined. But his intention was to swing until death would make it impossible for him to swing any more. round his neck was part of his suspender, twisted like the handkerchief into the hangman's knot. The other part of the suspender was tied to this and the other made fast to the top of the cross-brace of the door. This tie the prisoner was nearly dead when cut down.

A physician worked over him an hour and after he was pronounced out of danger he was placed in another cell under guard. Later the guard, supposing that he was asleep, left him. Half an hour later the guard found him hanging from the cell door by his neck from strips of his shirt, which he had twisted into a stout rope. He was almost strangled. Twenty minutes later he had recovered sufficient strength to enable him to accompany his keeper in a carriage to the depot.

As a safeguard against another attempt at self-destruction he was manacled and put in a straight jacket. During the drive to the railroad station he told Detective Sullivan that he would again try to kill himself at the first favorable opportunity.

Source: The Milwaukee Journal, (Milwaukee, WI) Monday, July 26, 1897; col E

Antonio Balistiere Not Expected to Pleat Guilty Tomorrow

Removed to County Jail

Friends Raise Money with Which to Contest the Charge of Murder.
Self-Defense Will Be Claimed-The Prisoner's Conduct

On a warrant sworn by Patrolman William Paulus, Antonio Balistiere will be arraigned on the charge of murder in the police court tomorrow morning. IN spite of his confession, there is little doubt that Balistiere will plead not guilty and fight the case when it comes up before Judge Walber. Money has been freely subscribed in the Third ward by his countrymen to engage able attorneys, with the hope of proving a case of self-defense, based upon Balistiere's story of the murder.

Balistiere's sojourn in cell No. 1 of the central police station has been as quiet as the circumstances would permit. No persons were allowed to visit the station for a sight of the murderer from pure motives of curiosity. The greater part of the tie the prisoner reclined on a bench as far as possible form the barred door. His piercing eyes were the first distinguishable feature until the visitor became accustomed to the gloom of the cell. He was clad in clean clothes this morning. Except for a rough growth of hair upon his face, he looked fairly respectable, but his firmly-set jaws and penetrating gaze indicated more determination than is seen in the average Italian's face. Since his arrival in Milwaukee Balistiere has shown no desire to repeat his attempts of suicide, but nevertheless he is closely watched. He is allowed the freedom of his limbs and makes the most of it by incessantly smoking strong tobacco in a briar pipe. At times a black and red bandanna is drawn from a pocket and Balistiere bows his head against the cold bars and silently wipes away tears from his eyes. On the whole, his demeanor is quiet and he prefers seclusion.

The belief that he would be transferred to the county jail brought hundreds of curious people in the vicinity of the jail. Their number was constantly augmented but when the Black Maria made hits usual daily trip from the police station to the county jail it was loaded only with the usual aggregation of drunks, disorderlies and the like. Early this afternoon transfer of Balistiere was made to the county jail, more as a matter of formality than as a necessity. A crown quickly gathered but the matter was consummated with as little publicity as possible.

Source: The Milwaukee Sentinel, (Milwaukee, WI) Monday, July 26, 1897; pg. 3; col A

Balistiere Wept in His Cell

Friends of the Murderer Called but Could not See Him

Antonio Balistiere, murderer of James Sokop, spent his first Sunday in confinement at the Central station yesterday. Early in the morning friends in the Third ward sent him his Sunday clothes, which the police allowed him to substitute for his old blue overalls and jumper, which he had worn since the day of the murder. The change improved his appearance. All morning the police station was besieged with Italians who wanted to visit the prisoner, but strict orders had been issued not to allow any one to communicate with him. Late in the afternoon a well-known commission merchant, in the presence of an officer, was allowed to look at the murderer. The later at once recognized him and when Balistiere was given some cigars he began to cry. The prisoner was unable to thank the merchant in English, but muttered something in his native tongue and bowed as a sign of gratitude.

Balistiere will be transferred from the Police station to the County jail this morning, and later that his friends will be allowed to see him. He will not be taken to the Police court for his preliminary hearing until to-morrow morning. Warrants and complains have been sworn out by Patrolman William Paulus. The charge is murder

Though the murderer has confessed that he shot Sokup, there is no likelihood that he will plead guilty. All Saturday and yesterday, the Italians of the Third ward solicited subscriptions for his defense and last night it was reported that several hundred dollars had been subscribed. The money will be used to retain able attorneys to defend him. In view of what Balistiere has said of the fight, it is supposed the defense will try to prove that the murder was an act of self-defense.

Balistiere was photographed and bertillioned by the police yesterday.

Source: The Milwaukee Journal, (Milwaukee, WI) Tuesday, July 27, 1897; pg. 3; col A


Hearing of Antonio Balistiere continued until Next Tuesday

Crowd Gathers to See Him

D.W. Nickerson Appears for the Murderer and Requests the Continuance-Spectators Locked in Until Prisoner is Removed.

An adjournment to Aug. 3 was today ordered by Judge Neelen in the case of Antonio Balistiere, the murderer of James Soukop. Balistiere was represented by Attorney Markham of the law firm of Markham & Nickerson.

When deputies Shiras and Davidson left the county jail with Balistiere in handcuffs, the crowd which had gathered in the vicinity was augmented as though by magic, the people seeming to spring from the streets. By the time that the city hall was reached, the crowd which followed in their trail, had assumed formidable proportions. The prisoner became violently excited by the demonstration and talked rapidly to himself in his native tongue. The crowd was driven back by the policemen on duty about the city hall and party took the elevator.

The courtroom was crowded and the seats were taxed to their utmost capacity by curious people, packed like sardines. Balistiere's appearance was the signal for craning of every neck, followed by a deep buzz of conversation, which rough a stern reprimand from the court. While the petty cases were being disposed of, with the usual dispatch, Balistiere sat quietly on the prisoner's bench. Every eye seemed drawn to him as though by a loadstone.

His case was the first bought up after the petty cases had been finished. A motion for adjournment by Attorney Nickerson on the plea of a business engagement was granted, and the big crowd made ready to get a flying start for another good look at the murderer. Its detention was effectually thwarted by Detectives Sullivan and Koeller. Egress through the doors was barred by their bulky frame until Shiras and Davidson had hurried Balistiere through the open doors.

Then Sullivan and Koeller kept back the crowd until the doors were locked. A good start was thus afforded to the deputies, which they used with advantage. When the doors were again opened, nearly every seat in the spacious courtroom was quickly deserted. The occupants poured through the narrow passage like water through a sieve. The waiting elevator was soon crowded from wall to wall and the remainder of the crowd serged down the winding steps. From the seventh story toe the ground floor, and wide steps were covered with a hurrying impatient mass of curious humanity. Straw hats and stiff hats bobbed up on the surface.

There were women in the crowd, but he all-important question as to the state of their headgear was forgotten for the nonce and the hurried on, moved by the common impulse to get a good, square look at the man who had given the detective such a chase. The belated crowd swarmed out on the street, but Balistiere was by that time back in his cell. Those who had waited outside for his return from court vied in size with that which arrived too late. The two deputies had to shoulder their way through at times, but the trip was safely made.

When Balistiere was placed in his cell he regained his composure. The cell in which he is kept is admirably arranged for the maintenance of a close watch on his movements, a window opening directly from his cell to the jailer's room. No Italians are permitted to see him. A special permission must be obtained from the court for that purpose. Some of his countrymen have sent special dishes to him, but in order to prevent poison from being conveyed to him the order has gone forth that noen shall be given to him. However, the money for any particular dish can be left with the sherif, by home the dish will be provide.

The determination of the Italian colony to furnish Balistiere with strong attorneys even at the sacrifice of snug little sums earned by the sale of the luscious banana and stored away for a return to Italy, had resulted in what promises to be an interesting legal fight. The colony has split up into three factions, well proportioned as to both numerical and financial strength. One delegation was engaged the services of Markham, Nickerson & Harper; another has obtained those of Mock, Rickly, Wittig & Schinz, and the third is banking on the abilities of Toohey, Gilmore & Donovan. The name of W.C. Williams is also frequently mentioned.

At present the first-named firm seems to have the upper hand, as ATtorney Nickerson, represented Balistiere in the police court this morning. It was generally understood that if the firm of Mock, Riley, Wittig & Schinz had appeared in the case, a motion for the discharge of the prisoner would have been argued. The claim would have been based on the grounds that he had not been indicted by the grand jury and that the court had no jurisdiction in the case. The point which he stubbornly maintained by the law firm which eventually assumes control of the case, will be that Soukop provoked Balistiere to the murder.

Source: The Milwaukee Journal, August 3, 1897
Balistiere Bound Over

No Bail Allowed for the Murderer of James Soukop

A large crowd was attracted to the police court this morning to see Antonio Balistiere,, the murderer of James Soukop. Balistiere was bound over, without bail, to the next term of court, Dr. Notle, gave testimony to the character of Soukop's wounds. The fatal shot took a cause which showed that the bullet must have sped through his body with terrific douce. The ball entered the left side above the pelvis, took an upward course, passing through the kidneys, close to the heart and through the lower lobe of the right lung. the other bullets did comparatively little damage.

The prisoner still maintains his moody silence. He is very rarely heard to speak and does not converse with his fellow prisoners.

According to other articles throughout 1898, Antonio Balistiere was found guilty and sent to prison for 20 years.

Source: The Milwaukee Journal, (Milwaukee, WI) Wednesday, December 21, 1898; col B

Balistiere Said to Be Crazy Now

Italian Who Killed James Soukup Will Probably be Sent from the State Prison to an Asylum.

Antoni Balistiere, who is at Waupun under sentence of twenty years for murder, July, 1897, in the Third ward, of James Soukup, a Bohemian teamster, is reported to be crazy. A gentleman who returned to Milwaukee a few years ago from Waupun told the Journal reporter this morning that Balistiere had been insane for a month and that he would probably be sent to Oshkosh by the prison authorities. The confinement had told on the prisoner, but it was not known yet weather the insanity was temporary or otherwise.

Balistiere is the man who escaped to Boston and was later captured, and brought back by Detective McManus. He is an Italian.