Biographies and Family Information

Includes Marriages, Births, Confirmations, Baptisms

To facilitate your search the surnames have been cross indexed.
[ A ] [ B ] [ Be ] [ Bi ]
[ Bo ] [ Br ] [ Bu ] [ C ]
[ D ] [ E ] [ F ] [ G ]
[ H ] [ I ] [ J ] [ K ]
[ L ] [ M ] [ N ] [ O ]
[ P ] [ Q ] [ R ] [ S ]
[ T ] [ U ] [ V ] [ W ]
[ Y ] [ Z ] - -


Cunigunda Kastel married Charles Dallmann about 1874. They lived in Milwaukee County for the first years after their marriage. Then on the 15th of October 1886, Charles Dallmann and Christine bought 40 acres that was owned by her parents. Charles Dallmann died 24 January 1893. After Mr. Dallmann died, she married FREDERICK SCHMITT (Aft. 1895).

If anyone has any information about this family, please get in touch with Helen e-mail (



JOSEPH DAVIDSON, the efficient superintendent of the Milwaukee Dry Dock Company, was born in Scotland on March 4, 1852. He is a son of Thomas and Helen M. (McFarlin) Davidson both of whom were born in Scotland, the former in March, 1828, and the latter in 1825. The father came to Milwaukee with his family in 1855 and found employment in the Jones shipyards. Subsequently in partnership with L. Ellsworth, he purchase the company and conducted it under the name of Ellsworth & Davidson until 1868. In that year Mr. Wold purchased Mr. Ellsworth's interest and the two conducted a large and flourishing business until a few years ago, when it was sold to the Milwaukee Dry Dock Company. The father died in 1895, but his widow is still living, a much esteemed resident of the Cream City. Joseph Davidson was but three years of age when he came to Milwaukee with his parents and obtained the education afforded by the Fifth and Eighth ward schools. Immediately after leaving school he began his apprenticeship in the ship building industry under the preceptorship of his father, and before he had attained his majority he had superintended the construction of the schooners Saland and Moonlight, at the time the largest vessels of their class afloat on the lakes. He has been in direct charge of what is now the property of the Milwaukee Dry Dock Company since 1871, although he has not had the title of superintendent all that time. HIs natural skill, his capacity for work, and his ability to handle men have been large factors in the success which he has attained. On Sept. 2, 1874, Mr. Davidson was united in marriage to miss Euna Bridge, a daughter of Harry and Harriet Hard, formerly residents on Lake Erie, but subsequently of Milwaukee. To this union was born, in 1876, a son, Watt Bell, now with the O'Neil Paint & Oil Company. Watt Bell Davidson was married June 24, 1908, to Miss Flora Sheriff, of Milwaukee.

Source: Memoirs of Milwaukee County by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 pg. 540


JOSEPH DAVIDSON, Foreman of Starke, Smith & Co.'s dredge yard, is a son of Thomas Davidson, of the firm Wolf & Davidson, and was born in Dunbarton, Scotland; came to Milwaukee with his father in July, 1855; learned the ship carpenter's trade in the yard of Wolf & Davidson. When twenty years of age, he was made one of the foreman of the yard holding that position six years. In 1876 he was given the position which he now occupies. During the time he has been with Starke, Smith & Co., he has superintended the rebuilding of the tug BUES and the dredge GREEN in connection with the repair work for the firm. His residence is No. 459 Hanover street.


THOS DAVIDSON, of the firm of Wolf & Davidson, was born in Ayreshire, Scotland, March 20, 1828. Came to the United States in 1855, arriving in Milwaukee in July of that year. He worked for J.M. Jones and afterwards became foreman of B.B. Jones, till the Spring of 1861, when he formed a partnership with Lemuel Ellsworth under the firm name of Ellsworth & Davidson, continuing that connection till 1868, when Mr. Ellsworth sold his interest to Mr. Wm. H. Wolf, since which time the firm has been known as Wolf & Davidson. Mr. Davidson's residence is No. 256 Scott street.(Source: HISTORY OF MILWAUKEE 1881)  


The firm being Wm. Day and Wm. G. Day, ship chandlers and sail makers, Nos. 102 and 104 Marine Block, manufacturers of flags, banners, canvas belting, brewers' sacks, paulins (sic) of all kinds, waterproof horse and wagon covers, sails, awnings and tents. They are dealers in manilla (sic), hemp and cotton cordage, lath yarns, duck of all widths, oakum, tar, pitch, paints, oars, tackle, purchase blocks, etc. The business was established in 1872, its annual bulk being about $40,000. Wm. G. Day was born in N.Y. The two were engaged in the ship-chandlery business in Oswego, N.Y., and came to Milwaukee in 1862.




Candidate for City of Wauwatosa
Samuel J. Decker, Republican candidate for alderman, he resides on Grand Ave. and is an enterprising, well-informed citizen and would make a good working member of the council, looking carefully to the interests of the entire city.

Source: Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899



John "Captain Jack" Deckert, 63, the temperamental barkeep who long ran the popular Captain Jack's in Pewaukee. He spoke his mind and did as he pleased, which sometimes included bartending in the nude and closing the bar if he was mad at someone. "He'd say: 'That's it. We're done. Everybody out,' " said a friend, Mike Craig. Deckert died July 14 in Wausau after a stroke.



Candidate for Town of Wauwatosa
P.J. Deuster, Democratic candidate for treasurer, resides on Blue Mound Rd. near the Soldiers' Home. He is presently employed as a saloon keeper.

Source: Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899




William Dever was Pulled off the Float Twice. Helped Ashore by Thomas Shea.

I was sitting in the ladies’ cabin when the collision took place. At first it did not occur to me that the boat was in danger of going down, thinking that it was the storm which shook us. But soon water began to run into the cabin. I got up and went in the direction of the wheel, when I heard the captain order mattresses to be thrown down. I went back, and, passing through the ladies’ cabin, I stepped up to the stern. The first boat was being let down. There was terrible excitement, and the captain shouted that everybody should get up to the hurricane deck. I got there with many other people. Some were jumping into the lake, throwing down whatever they could get hold of. I remained on the deck until the boat went down, and then I found myself floating on the deck. The boat went to pieces. Somebody pulled me down from the float. I came up, but I was pulled down again. After extricating myself, I swam up to a board, about four foot square, and that board saved me. As I drifted along in the storm I recognized Frank McCormick standing at one end of a small raft, and his sister trying to pull herself on to it at another end. The girl called out to me to save her, but before I reached their float board Frank McCormick and his sister disappeared in the lake. I hung on to my raft until I came near the shore. I was turned over in the breakers twice. Finally I buried my foot in the ground and with the aid of a pole which Tom Shea and others held out to me I was pulled up. There were thousands of different things going on, and if I had time, I could sit down and tell about that night enough to fill your paper. The eleven hours that I remained in the water made me eleven years older.

Source: Milwaukee Sentinel Sept 4, 1892



Edward T. Dixon, an industrious and competent engineer, has been in the employ of the United States Government during the past two seasons in charge of the machinery of the tug Graham, giving the best satisfaction. Being a good mechanic and industrious, he always finds employment in the shops after laying up his boat.

Mr. Dixon was born December 21, 1844, at Ottawa, Ontario, and is the son of Thomas and Catherine (Cleary) Dixon, natives of Ireland, who came to Canada about the year 1838. They moved to Harrison Corners in 1846, where the father died soon after, and the mother on July 26, 1894. After the death of his father Edward went to live with his uncle, James Cleary, of Moulinette, Ontario, where he worked on a farm, drove team and attended school. In April, 1863, he came to the United States, stopping at Peshtigo, Wis., and went to work in a sawmill owned by the Peshtigo Lumber Company, and the next spring fired a locomotive on their private road, used for transporting lumber, and worked in the machine shop conducted by the company. In 1865 he was made engineer of the locomotive Copper Clark, the first ever built on American soil, and run in the interest of the Boston & Amboy railroad. During the time he was in their employ he also ran an engine on a pile driver and tug Reindeer, taking out his first license for this privilege in 1867, and it was during this year that he served in the capacity of engineer on the steamer Union, owned by the G. B. & M. T. Co., and run from Green Bay, Wis., to Marinette. That fall he went to Chicago, and secured employment as engineer of a pile driver and steam shovel on the C. B. & Q. R. R.

In the spring of 1876 Mr. Dixon was appointed second engineer of the steamer Trader, Jeremiah Collins, now assistant boiler inspector of Milwaukee district, being chief, closing the season on the side-wheel steamer Huron. The next year he became second engineer of the steamer Norman of the People's line, plying between Duluth and Marquette. That fall he took her to Chicago, and laid her up, the chief being sick. He then entered the employ of the Goodrich Transportation Company as second engineer of the steamer Muskegon, transferring to the steamer Truesdell during the winter of 1878-79, and the next spring as second on the Sheboygan, closing the season on the Amazon. He then went to Milwaukee and was made first assistant engineer in the Kearn flooring-mill.

In the spring of 1881 Mr. Dixon moved his family to Marinette, Wis., to take a position as superintendent of a post and tie mill, remaining there until the firm discontinued business, in March, 1883. He then went to Duluth and took charge of the tug Siskiwitt for Cooley & La Vaque, closing the season on the tug Eliza Williams. The next year he ran a pile driver for the Winston Bros., of Minneapolis, who had the contract for building the bridge across the St. Louis Bay. In the spring of 1885 Mr. Dixon chartered the tug John McKay, and engaged in towing logs from Fon du Lac to the Duluth mills. The next two years he was engineer of the steam road-roller for the city of Duluth, and in 1889 he was appointed engineer of the yacht Picket, that winter serving as assistant engineer in the Imperial mill in Duluth. During the construction of the Emerson school building, in Duluth, he assisted in putting in the machinery, and worked ashore until the spring of 1893, when he was appointed chief engineer of the Sheboygan. Having removed with his family to Milwaukee, he was appointed chief engineer of the yacht chartered by that city to carry supplies, etc., to the waterworks crib, holding that berth two years. In the spring of 1896 he joined the tug Robbie Dunham as engineer, she being engaged on government work; transferring the next year to the tug Graham, and remaining on her as engineer on government work until she was laid up in the fall of 1898.

The only fraternal society of which he is a member is the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association.

Edward T. Dixon was wedded to Miss Margaret Frances Dolan, of Winona, Minn., the ceremony being performed on February 26, 1878. The children born to this union are Agnes M., who is teaching school in Milwaukee; Edward F., a sailor; Mary Julia, and Margaret Clare. The family residence is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Source: History of the Great Lakes, Vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield Published Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1899



Story of the Escape of Adelbert Doebert and Charles Beverung.

Charles Beverung and myself are the only survivors of the Milwaukee City band, which furnished music on that occasion. I was about to retire when the collision occurred, and was but a very short distance from where the schooner Augusta struck the steamer, which was near the wheel-box. Capt. Wilson of the Lady Elgin at first tried to save the boat by throwing all the ballast that could possibly be reached to the opposite side from where the leak was. But this was of no avail. After being convinced that the steamer would sink the captain hurried above and advised the passengers to go to the hurricane deck and secure whatever life preservers they could find. After find apiece of plank I waited for the