Biographies and Family Information

Includes Marriages, Births, Confirmations, Baptisms

To facilitate your search the surnames have been cross indexed.
[ A ] [ B ] [ Be ] [ Bi ]
[ Bo ] [ Br ] [ Bu ] [ C ]
[ D ] [ E ] [ F ] [ G ]
[ H ] [ I ] [ J ] [ K ]
[ L ] [ M ] [ N ] [ O ]
[ P ] [ Q ] [ R ] [ S ]
[ T ] [ U ] [ V ] [ W ]
[ Y ] [ Z ] - -


Source: Memoirs of Milwaukee County by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 pg 409

CHARLES A. FABER, M.D., of 1313 Forest Home avenue, is a native of Wayne, Washington county, Wis., and was born April 30, 1860, of German parentage. His father, Philip Faber, came to the United States with his parents in 1845. The grandparents, John and Elizabeth Faber, both passed their last days in Washington county. The maternal grandparents came to this country in 1852 and also settled in Washington County. They were farmers. The parents of our subject spent their declining years in the city of Fond du Lac, the father, Philip Faber, dying on Oct. 30, 1899. Their family of six children, four daughter and two sons, are all living. Dr. Faber began his education in the public schools of Wayne, later attended the high school of Fond du Lac and entered the Northwestern University (Lutheran) of Watertown, taking the full classical course. After leaving college he entered the drug store of J. C. Huber, of Fond du Lac, remaining there until he passed the state examination in pharmacy, and then went into the drug store of W. J. Brier, of Plymouth, where he was employed for six years. After spending a year in the school of Pharmacy at Philadelphia he returned to Plymouth and resumed the drug business under the name of C.A. Faber & Co., W. J. Brier retiring and taking a position in the River Falls Normal School. Later Dr. Faber decided to study medicine, his long experience as druggist having made him familiar with a considerable portion of the work of preparation, and he entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, was graduated in 1897, and in July of the same year he began the practice of his profession in Milwaukee, where he has been ever since, meeting with large success in his chosen work. He belongs to the American Medical Association, and to the Wisconsin State, Milwaukee County, and Milwaukee Medical Societies, and to the Brainard Medical Society. He is a member of the Lutheran church, and in political matters give his support to the Republican party. On Oct. 12, 1892, he was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Borngesser, daughter of Andrew and Caroline (Thomas) Borngesser, of Milwaukee. Of the two children born to them, Ruth, the oldest, is deceased, the younger being Charles A., Jr.



Source: Genealogy of the Fairbanks Family in America, 1633-1897 By Lorenzo Sayles Fairbanks, 1897

Removed with his parents to Rose, N.Y. Was a farmer there. In 1856 he removed to Milwaukee, and resumed farming. He died in Milwaukee.

His son Martin Luther Fairbanks was in the army, and after the close of the war resided in Memphis, Tenn., then went home and was employed as a travelling salesman for a New York Cloth or Clothing House. While on his travels he took the steamer Seabird at Morristown for Milwaukee. During the trip he left the dinner table, stepped out, and was never again seen alive. The next spring his body was found ont he East Shore of Lake Michigan.



Source: Genealogy of the Fairbanks Family in America, 1633-1897 By Lorenzo Sayles Fairbanks, 1897

He was born in Leon, N.Y., May 25, 1845.

He is the author of a successful book of travels entitled, "A Visit to Europe and the Holy Land." It has reached its third edition and has received much praise, not alone from authors and editors in the United States, but also from the press of Great Britian-especially that of London and Dublin.

When eight years of age his parents moved to Wisconsin and in the autumn of 1860 he entered the senior prepartory class of Lawrence University in Appleton, where he reamined four years. He stood at the head of the class when he left, although he was its youngest member. After entering the Roman Catholic Church he studied in St. Louis University, and St. Francis Theological Seminary where he was graduated. His ordination as priest took place Jan. 29, 1868. For the past thirteen years he has been pastor of St. Patrick's Church in the city of Milwaukee, and has just finished "one of the most beautiful - both from an architectural and artistic point of view - gothic churches in the West." The cost was about $60,000.

Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Very Rev. Hiram Francis Fairbanks, pastor of St. Patrick's parish, Milwaukee, was born at Leon, Cattaraugus county, N. Y., and is the son of Rev. Caleb James and Lydia (Franklin) Fairbanks. The Former was a native of Onondaga county, N. Y., born Jan. 12. 1821, and died in May 1899, and the latter was born in Cooperstown in the same state, April 21, 1822, and died on Aug. 8, 1878. The parents came to Wisconsin in 1853, locating at Waupun, Fond du Lac county. The father was a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church and was stationed at various places in the state. The family is an old Colonial one and some of Father Fairbanks' ancestors participated in the American Revolution; his direct ancestor, Joshua Fairbanks, served with the rank of lieutenant under Capt. Caleb Whiting on the Lexington April 19, 1775. and also was commissioned as lieutenant of the Eighth company of the Third Worcester county regiment on July 9, 1776. Father Fairies is a kinsman of Charles W. Fairbanks, vice-president of the United States, and is also related to John and John Quincy Adams, both United States Presidents, and through the Coolidge family, Boston is related to the descendants of Thomas Jefferson. Many of his relatives also participated in the Civil war, including prominent officers in the Union army, and one at least with the rank of major served in the Confederate army.

Father Fairbanks was born on May 25, 1845, and received his collegiate training at Lawrence University, Appleton, Wis., being a student at that institution for four years, at the end of which period he became a convert to the Catholic faith. Later he attended the St. Louis University, at St. Louis, Mo., and subsequently went to St. Francis Seminary, Milwaukee, to prepare for the priesthood. He was ordained at St. Francis on Jan. 20. 1868 and said his first mass at Waupun, Feb. 2. 1868. He was for a short time assigned to duty as assistant at St. Patrick's church Tanesville, Wis., and was then a year and nine months at Troy, and later at Whitewater, where he spent eleven years, coming from that charge to his present position.

This is one of the largest and most important parishes in the Milwaukee archdiocese and its pastor is very prominent in the church circles. He is also a Consultor of the Archdiocese, an office which ranks next to vicargeneral. He is a gifted writer and his "Visit to Europe and the Holy Land." a volume of 463 pages, is the most popular book of travels ever written in the English language by a Catholic, and is now in its fifth edition. He has also written much in prose and verse for both the papers and magazines, pamphlets and articles for historical and genealogical works, and has also made a translation of many Catholic hymns from the Latin. He is especially interested in the line of genealogical studies, and his work on the genealogy of the Adams family is the best that has been compiled and is authority in this line.



Identified with financial interests of Falk family; now vice president Falk Co., manufacturers of steel castings, etc; appointed receiver of Allis-Chalmers Co., machinery, 1912, and when co. reorganized became president, since 1913; Director First Wisconsin National Bank, First Wisconsin Trust Co., Wis, Telephone Co., Milwaukee Mechanics' Insurance Co.

Commissioned Adjutant 4th Battalion of Wis. N.G. Mar. 1886, Colonel and A.D.C. to Governor Rusk, Aug. 1887; Lieut. Col. commanding 4th Infantry, Oct. 1887; Quarter Masster General, Jan. 1891; Adj. General Dec. 1893; comissioned Major and chief quarter master U.S. Volunteers Spanish-American War, June 1898; assigned ot 1st Div., 3d Army Corps, Chickamauga Park, Ga., appointed chief quarter master 3d Army Corps, U.S. Army Oct. 1898, serving in Cuba and Porto Rico; discharged June 20, 1899; commissioned colonel, commanding 1st regiment infantry, Wis. N.G., June 1899 transferred to general staff as chief engineer 1906; retired as brig-general, Jan. 1911; in active duty in riots at Milwaukee, 1886; Ashland, 1893, Merrill, 1893; Spooner, 1894; Kenosha, 1909; in charge of relief expedition sent to give aid to starving miners in norther Wis. and Mich. winter of 1893; President Public Safety Commmission, Milwaukee; member Board, Fire and Police Commission; director Merchants and Manufacturers' Assn of Milwaukee (pres 1909-12); Wis. Manufacturers' Assn.

Source: Who's who in Finance and Banking By John William Leonard



No. 128 Wisconsin street, was born in Herkimer County, N.Y., in 1822 and enjoyed the cusomary advantages of schooling in his childhood and youth. At the age of 26 he began the study of dentistry under Dr. Chatfield of Fairfield, and two years later in the Spring of 1850, went to Cazenovia, Madison County, N.Y., continuing to study there under Dr. Dwinelle, with whom he finished his course in 1852, and in the following year received his honorary degree from the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery. After obtaining his degree Dr. Faville settled at Canton, St. Lawrence County, where he practiced his profession until 1856, when he came to Milwaukee and engaged in mercantile employment with the Wisconsin Leather Company for two years. In the year 1858, having entered partnership with Dr. Burnham, Dr. Faville resumed the practive of his profession, and in the year next following bought the interest of Dr. Burnham in the lucrative practice which had been established. Having continued to discharge the onerous professional duties which devolved upon him, alone, until 1878, the doctor in that year, admitted one of his former students Dr. R.G. Richter as a partner, thereby decreasing the demands upon his own energies in some degree. Dr. Faville is a member of the Milwaukee Odontological Society.

Source: History of Milwaukee 1881, pg 1035



Foreman of carpenters at Wolf & Davidson ship-yard was born in the City of Bremen, Germany, in 1840; came to Milwaukee in 1847; learned his trade with Wolf & Lawrence; after the formation of the firm of Wolf & Davidson, was made foreman as above stated. His residence is No. 515 Second avenue.




WILLIAM C. FEERICK, undertaker and liveryman, on 2330 Cherry Street Milwaukee, Wis., is a native of the town in Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, and was born on March 29,1865. the son of Michael and Catharine (Zimmerman) Feerick, natives of Ireland and Germany, respectively. The paternal grandfather, Michael Feerick, was a native of Ireland, and came to the Territory of Wisconsin at a very early day with his wife, Margaret (Feenee), and children, settling in what is now Hartford, Washington County. The maternal grandfather, Philip Zimmerman, was a native of Germany, and was one of the early territorial pioneers of Milwaukee County; he was long known as a mechanical genius, and is now buried at Wauwatosa. The ancestors of our subject were noted for their longevity, and his grandparents on both sides died of old age. His father was a lad of tender years when he accompanied his parents to America. He was reared on a farm and died at the ripe old age of 81, on May 1, 1907. His wife died in 1891 at the age of 58. He accumulated a property of ample proportions during his long life, and was known as a pregressive and enterprising citizen, of substantial worth and character. He was straightforward and upright in all his business dealings and his word was as good as his bond. He owned a large amount of property, both within and without Milwaukee; had a splendid farm of 150 acres near Wauwatosa, and also owned important interests at Hartford, where he lived for many years. Possessed as he was of a handsome competence, and imbued with liberal and progressive ideas, he saw that each of his children was given an excellent education. He reared a family of five sons and five daughters: Caroline; Julia, deceased; Henry; Mary, deceased, wife of Fred Hartung; Thomas; William C.; Edward; Ida, wife of William Schmidt; Alvina, deceased; and Herbert. William C. was brought up in Milwaukee County and was educated in public schools and at Mayer's Business College. He was engaged in agricultural pursuits on the homestead at Wauwatosa until he was twenty-one years of age, and then embarked in his present business of undertaking and livery in Milwaukee. He has employed in his work the same habits of energy, perseverance, and strict integrity, inherited from a worthy sire, and his business has thrived accordingly. He is still doing business at the same location where he first started, and ever since 1900 he has owned the property. He has his own hearse, horses, carriages, and a complete and up-to-date equipment to meet all the requirements of constantly expanding business. He was married in 1894 to Miss Henrietta, daughter of Peter and Wilhelmina (Benstein) Schmitt, of Milwaukee, and is the father of one son, Ralph. Mr. Feerick is a man of independent convictions in political matters, and his efforts are always enlisted in support of the best men and measures. He is a strict Catholic in religious matters, and is a member of St. Michael Roman Catholic Church at Milwaukee. He is a member of the Wisconsin Funeral Directors' and Embalmers' Association, and of the National Liverymen's Association, and holds a Wisconsin license as an embalmer. Mr. Feerick is also a member of the following fraternal orders: Knights of Columbus, Catholic Order of Foresters, and the Modern Woodmen.

Milwaukee County Biographies Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vol. I & II by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 PAGE 481



William G. Fell is one of those marine engineers best known among Milwaukee men as a man with an open hand, and an enthusiast in the choice of his calling. He was born in Chicago, Ill., July 9, 1845, and is the son of William and Jennie (Turnbull) Fell, natives of Scotland, the father from Clyde, where he learned the machinist's trade, and worked in shops where many of the notable marine engines of that day were constructed. He came to the United States in 1845, locating in Chicago, near which city he purchased a farm, and eventually became quite wealthy. He died in 1856, leaving a widow and twelve children. The mother passed to her reward in 1892. The children all became farmers, except William, the subject of this sketch, who, after leaving school, learned the machinist's trade in the shops of Burlington & Quincy railroad, serving an apprenticeship for four years.

In the spring of 1867 William G. Fell engaged as a fireman on a dredge, and soon became engineer, holding this berth about five years. He then entered the employ of Carkin, Stickney & Cram as engineer of the tug Carkin, which he ran two years, transferring to the Stickney, bringing her out new and engineering her two seasons. The two years following he was engineer of the tugs P.L. Johnson and Relief, the latter of Tonawanda. In 1879 he was appointed chief engineer on the passenger steamer American Eagle, plying the year round between Sandusky and Put-in-Bay, and on one occasion he put a propeller wheel on the steamer while she stuck in the ice in midlake. After two years on this steamer he became engineer on the lake tug Samson, with Capt. J. McNiff, engaged in wrecking and towing, a position which he held two seasons, after which he purchased an interest in the tug Gregory; took her to Cleveland and ran her at that port part of two seasons, when he transferred to the tug Brady.

In the spring of 1887 Mr. Fell entered the employ of R.P. Fitzgerald & Co., of Milwaukee, as chief engineer of the steamer W.M. Eagan, and after two seasons on her transferred to the steamer John Plankinton, Capt. Lewis H. Powell, as chief, a position he has held nine years, giving at all times close attention to his duties, which gained for him the confidence of his employers. He has twenty-four issues of license, and is happy in the knowledge that he had not had any serious mishap to his machinery.

Socially, he is a member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, Branch No. 9, of Milwaukee, and had held every office within the gift of that body. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias.

On March 15, 1889, Mr. Fell was united in marriage to Miss Jennie, daughter of Andrew and Mary Ann Hooper, of Glamorganshire, South Wales. The family residence is at No. 406 Greenwich street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Source: History of the Great Lakes, Vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield Published Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1899



Nlacksmith and wagonmaker, on Grand avenue, between Twenty-seventh and Twenty-eighth streets, is a native of Germany, and came to this country in 1867. After a residence here of three years, he returned ot his native land, where he staid one year, at the end of which time he came to Milwaukee. He established his present business in 1878. In 1865 he was married to Louisa Rissgiky, a native of Germany. They have four sons.





Rosalie Ferrante, 93, who first met her father after immigrating from Italy at age 10. She was soon working in his downtown Milwaukee sandwich shop, later running other family restaurants in Milwaukee, Whitefish Bay and Germantown with husband Alex. She died July 12 in Phoenix.



Pastor of the First German Society of the M.E. Church, was born in Schwarzburg, Rudollstadt, Prussia, in August, 1834. Attending school seven years in his native town he came to the United States in 1852, and spent two years more in Michigan in acquiring a preliminary education; was converted in 1853, and began his studies for the ministry. In January, 1855, he was sent as a missionary to LaPorte and Michigan City. In August of the same year he joined the Rock River Conference of the M.E. Church as probationer, and was assigned to Peoria, Ill. He has held appointments as follows: Harrison-street Mission, Chicago; Farmington, Iowa; Michigan City, New Bremen Circuit; Manitowoc, Wis.; Second Charge, Milwaukee; Maxwell-street Station and then Van Buren-street Station, Chicago. In 1872 he was appointed Presiding Elder of the Fond du Lac, and in 1876 of the Chicago district, where he remained three years. In the Fall of 1879 he was appointed to the Second Charge in Milwaukee, and in 1880 was transferred to the First Charge. Mr. Fickenscher was married in 1860 to Miss Louisa W. Diether, formerly of Germany. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Northwestern German-English College, Galena, Ill, and was Statistical Secretary of the Conference for fifteen years.

pg 810 History of Milwaukee 1881



Samuel Augustus Field, of Quaker parentage, b. May 2, 1819, in South East, Putnam County, N.Y. Here he passed his early boyhood, assisting his father in his extensive nursery during the summer and attending the village school in winter. BEfore attaining his majority he left home, and for some time was employed as a clerk in a store in North Salem, Westchester county, N.Y. Later he went to Ridgefield, Conn., to learn a trade, but his health being unequal to the close confinement necessary, her removed to Danbury, Conn., where he formed a partnership with Mr. Wm. Jackson, engaging in a large manufacturing business and conducting a general store, remaining there eleven years. Then deciding to go west and "grow up the country," he migrated to Milwaukee; locating there in 1850. He very soon embarked in the real estate business, in which he was very successful, and amassed a moderate fortune. IN 1874 he married. Retiring from business at that time, he traveled extensively both at home and abroad. He ahs lived several years in Europe, spending his winters usually in Florence and his summers in Germany and Switzerland. He is an old habitue of Carlsbad and other German spas. Has visited Sweden, Norway, Russia, etc. He has now a beautiful home on Juneau Place, Milwaukee, on the bluff overlooking Lake Michigan, one of the m ost delightful and picturesqe spots in the Cream City. Here surrounded by choice paintings, statuary, curios, souvenirs of his travels, he spends his days tranquilly, varied by ocassional short trips across the Atlantic. For his years Mr. Field is a most remarkably well preserved man, and with his erect carriage, elastic step and flashing eyes, bids fair to make the centur mark, as his host of friends predict.
Res. s.p., Milwaukee, Wis. 303 Martin street.
Source: Field Genealogy, Vol. 1, by Frederick Clifton Pierce, Chicago Illinois, 1901, Hammond Press, W.S. Conkey Company, Chicago.



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Henry Fink, collector of Internal Revenue for the first District of Wisconsin, and a veteran of Company 15, Twenty-Sixth Wisconsin Infantry, now a resident of Milwaukee, Wis., was born on Sept. 7, 1840, in Bavaria, Germany. He is a son of John Engelhart and Catherine (Dielmann) Fink, who, when the subject of this sketch was twelve years old, removed with their family and personal property to the United States, locating on a farm in the town of Oak Creek, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin. The father lived on the farm until his death, which occurred Jan. 8, 1880; the mother died while her son was serving as a soldier, on Feb. 9, 1864. The subject of this sketch was the second of seven children in the family, the others in the order of birth being Mary, Engelhart, Jacob, Simon, Helena and Louise. Engelhart and Helena are deceased, the former having lost his life in the battle of the wilderness, in which he was a participant as a member of the Fifth Wisconsin Infantry.

Henry Fink, after his arrival in this country, was occupied on a farm until he had reached the age of twenty. He then obtained a position as a clerk in a store in Milwaukee, continuing in that work until Aug. 17, 1862, when, at the very height of the war excitement in the Cream City, he enlisted as a private in Company B of the Twenty-Sixth Wisconsin Infantry. On Oct. 5 following, the regiment left the state for the scene of action, going direct to Fairfax Court House, where it became a part of the Second Brigade, Third Division, Eleventh Army Corps, and with it participated in the expedition to thoroughfare gap, New Baltimore and Warrenton. The winter was spent in camp at Stafford Court House, and in the spring the regiment was one of those "stuck in the mud" with Burnside. On April 27, the Eleventh Corps, under Maj.-Gen. O. O. Howard, left Stafford Court House in the start of the Chancellorsville campaign. The crossing of the Rappahannock was made at Kelly's Ford, and on May 1 the corps took position on the right of the federal line. In the terrible onslaught of "Stonewall" Jackson's corps on Howard's command, before which the union line wavered and then fell back, Mr. Fink was wounded, a musket ball piercing his right arm and rendering it useless. He was taken to the field hospital at Falmouth, where the injured member was attended to, and later was sent to the Judiciary Square Hospital in Washington. On June 26 he was transferred to Fort Schuyler, N. Y., and in November to David's Island, where he remained until removed to the Harvey Hospital in Madison, Wis., on Jan. 7, 1864. In the following march he was mustered into the Invalid Corps, and remained there until his discharge on May 10, 1864.

Upon his release from military service Mr. Fink returned to Milwaukee and for three years was a traveling salesman. In 1867 he embarked in business on his own account, becoming a dealer in wool, hides and furs. This occupied his time until 1878, when he sold his interests and engaged in the land business. He is also financially interested in the Wilkin Manufacturing Company, makers of machinery. Politically he is an enthusiastic and zealous Republican, and as such served four years on the county board of supervisors, from 1870 to 1874, and in 1876-77 served in the state legislature. In the latter year he was appointed United States Marshal, and continued in that office through the administrations of Hayes, Garfield and Arthur, his service expiring on May 10, 1885. On June 13, 1889, he was made collector of Internal Revenue for the First District of Wisconsin, and is still the incumbent of that office. Mr. Fink is actively identified with the E. B. Wolcott Post No. 1, Grand Army of the Republic.

He has been twice married. On May 13. 1866, he was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Streiff, of Milwaukee, and to this union were born three children : Albert, Edward and Emma. Mrs. Fink died on Jan. 6, 1883, and on Sept. 12, 1883, Mr. Fink married Miss Rosa Blankenhorn, a native of Cedarburg, Wis.




Plumber and gas fitter, No. 128 Mason street, has been in business in the same location since 1877. He was born in Milwaukee July 14, 1853, and has always lived in this city. He learned the trade with W. E. Goodman, with whom he worked about nine years. He commenced wehn 15 years of age and has followed the business ever since. He understands it thoroughly in all its branches.



Source: The Fisher Genealogy; Record of the Descendants of Joshua, Anthony and Cornelius Fisher; by Philip A. Fisher; 1898

His name was originally Isaac Davenport, but was changed to Davenport by act of state legislature, April 11, 1864. He graduated from Boston Latin School, 1847; then went to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, N.Y.; and was the professor of chemistry at the Naval Academy, Annapolis, md., from 1869 to 1874. for many years has resided at Milwaukee, Wis., where he is an analytical and consulting chemist. Held the position of government inspector at the large packing houses at Milwaukee, from Aug.. 26, 1891, to Jan. 14, 1894. He enlisted in Company H., Fifth Cavalry, as second lieutenant, Dec. 18, 1863, under Col. Henry S.. Russell, of Boston. Ws promoted to first lieutenant, March 2, 1864; resigned May 24, 1865.



Source: Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899

Candidate for Town of Wauwatosa
W.E. Fisher, Republican candidate for assessor, is the son of ex-Senator, Charles Fisher, with whom he resides on North Ave. He is competent to fill the office.



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

James Greeley Flanders, a member of the prominent law firm of Winkler, Flanders, Bottum & Fawsett, of Milwaukee, is a native of New London, N. H., born Dec. 13, 1844. His parents were Walter P. And Susan Everett (Greeley) Flanders, the former a native, also, of New Hampshire, and the latter of Newburyport, Mass. Mr. Flanders comes from a family distinguished for its legal attainments, and also for its participation in the colonial and early national history, his grandfather, James Flanders, born in 1740, having served in the war of the revolution and was also distinguished as a lawyer and legislator in New Hampshire. His father, Walter P. Flanders, was also prominent as an attorney and in political life in his native state, and on coming west, in 1848, became largely interested in real estate and the enterprises looking toward the development of the city and state. The time of his coming west was identical with the beginnings of the movement of railroad building, and he was one of the chief promoters, a director and the first treasurer of the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad, now a part of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Pa
ul system. He was a man of strong personality and distinguished appearance.
Coming to Wisconsin at the age of four years James G. Flanders may be considered a product of Wisconsin institutions, so far as environment modifies inherited characteristics. He was graduated from the city schools at the age of fifteen, and then entered Phillips-Exeter academy in New Hampshire, in which he was graduated in 1861, passing at that time his examination for admission to Yale College. After spending two years in teaching he entered Yale and was graduated with the class of 1867, and spent the succeeding year in the office of Emmons & Van Dyke, of Milwaukee, reading law, and then entered the law department of Columbia College, New York, receiving his degree in 1869 and being admitted at that time to practice before the supreme court of New York. Returning to Milwaukee he began the practice of his profession and has been identified with the bar of the city ever since.

Following are his legal associations : Davis & Flanders, the partnership continuing for five years ; Flanders & Bottum, this partnership continuing for eleven years.. In 1888 James G. Jenkins, of the firm of Jenkins, Winkler & Smith, having been appointed United States district judge, the firm of Winkler, Flanders, Smith, Bottum & Vilas was organized as the successor to the firms of Jenkins, Winkler & Smith and Flanders & Bottum. This was considered one of the strongest legal associations in the state or in the northwest. Mr. Vilas subsequently retired from the firm, Mr. Smith died in 1906, and Mr. Fawsett has since been admitted to partnership, the firm name being now as given at the head of this article.

Mr. Flanders entered his professional career not only well equipped professionally, but with that broad foundation of general knowledge and culture, essential to the best achievement, and while he has from the beginning of his career devoted his best efforts to his profession, yet he has found time to interest himself in many questions of public importance, although he has never been a politician in the common acceptation of the term. The problems of political, social and industrial life have received from him a broad and statesmanlike consideration, and although lie supports the Democratic party, he does so from a personal conviction in regard to the principles and policies enunciated by it rather than from a slavish adherence to party ties. His participation in practical politics has been small, including only a position on the school board as the representative of the first ward of the city, and as the representative of the same ward in the state legislature of 1877. While in the legislature he served upon the judiciary committee where his legal training, sound judgment and thorough knowledge of the law was highly appreciated. In 1896 he was chosen as one of the delegates at large to the Democratic National Convention, but being unable, from principle, to accept the platform adopted at the Chicago convention, he joined with those who held the convention at Indianapolis which nominated Palmer and Buckner. In this campaign Mr. Flanders made many sound money speeches, his masterly exposition of the subject receiving wide and favorable comment. Combined with his profound knowledge of the law, Mr. Flanders is endowed with a logical and keenly analytical mind, and rare gifts of oratorical power. Naturally he has taken a leading position in legal circles and his services have come into demand when highly important constitutional questions are under consideration, and as the exponent of constitutional interpretation he has frequently appeared before the supreme court of the United States. Some of the most epoch-marking decisions of recent years were based on briefs which he has prepared.

On June 18, 1873, Mr. Flanders was united in marriage to Mary C. daughter of Robert Haney, one of the pioneers of Milwaukee. Their children are Charlotte Bartlett, now Mrs. Joseph W. Simpson, of Milwaukee; Kent, who died in 1907, and Roger Y., who was graduated at Yale with the class of 1906, and is now pursuing his legal studies at the Harvard Law School. Mr. Flanders, although not devoting a great deal of time to club life, is connected with the leading clubs of the city, including the Milwaukee, country, town, university and old settlers' clubs of Milwaukee ; the University Club at Madison ; the Yale Club of Chicago ; the Yale Club of New York City, and the Graduates' Club of New Haven, Conn. He was president of the University Club of Milwaukee for two terms about the time of its organization.



George arrived in Milwaukee in 1837 - was a sailor for 8 years before purchasing the A.J. Vieau. In 1851 he became proprietor of the "Vera Cruz House" a hotel which was situated on Main St. near Buffalo in Milwaukee.

Source: Chronicles of Milwaukee by A.C Wheeler (1861) pages 147 - 148

" On the third of May (1845) Capt. Corbitt brought his schooner in contact with the Spring Street Bridge and partially demolished it, tearing away the draw entirely. This took place on Saturday afternoon, and as soon as it became known a sensation was produced on the West Side. The East siders said it was accidental and resulted from the negligence of the bridge tender in not hanging lights out - but it was boldly asserted by the opposite neighbors that a "pony purse" had been made up to induce Capt. Corbitt to commit the act. Though he was arrested, and after examination before Justice Walworth, was bound over to answer before the District Court, nothing ever was done. The suit was hushed up or dropped, thus establishing in the minds of many the truth of the assertion."

(Captain Robert Corbitt (Corbett) was part owner with George Fleming of this schooner.)

Also: In a reference to the casualty list of 1847 (apparently from Erik Heyl's Papers) this note appears: "Nile Schooner, of Chicago capsized off Muskegon, July 16, 1847. Crew taken off by Schooner A.J. Vieau and towed to anchorage near the mouth of the Muskegon River."

Elisha Starr, one of the first settlers of Milwaukee, was the attorney/agent for George Fleming and Robert Corbett when they purchased their Schooner, A.J.Vieau. (sent in by a contributor/see contributors page)



Candidate for Town of Wauwatosa
Max Foley, Democratic candidate for assessor, is a son of the late Michael Foley. He is unmarried, about 22 years old and lives on the farm belonging to the estate.

From Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899



Source: Foster Genealogy By Frederick Clifton Pierce, 1899

At the age of eight years he moved, with the rest of his father's family, to Appleton, Wis., where they lived for a few years, when, on account of his father;s ill health, they returned to Port Washington. He there attended the public and high schools and was graduated from the latter at the age of fifteen. He then attended high school at Niles, Michigan., for a short time. In his seventeenth year he entered a law office in Milwaukee, Wis., where he remained until the winter of 1891, when he entered the University of Wisconsin, taking two years of academic work and then entering the law department of the university, from which he graduated with the class of 1895. Before entering law school, he took and passed the state bar examination and was admitted to the bar. While in the law department of the university, he was private secretary to Justices Cassady and Orton, of the Wisconsin Supreme Court. He is a member of the Chi Psi fraternity. After finishing his law course he entered the legal department of the Santa Fe railroad company at Chicago. In 1896 he removed to Milwaukee, where he is practicing his profession. In politics he has followed the footsteps of his father. Addresses: William M. Foster, 101 Ins. Bldg., Milwaukee Wis.



Source: Foster Genealogy By Frederick Clifton Pierce, 1899

At the age of five years he moved with his parents to the town of Mentz, Cayuga county, N.Y. Here he attended the district schools and worked on his father's farm. At the age of fifteen he taught the district school in a neighboring district and also again in his seventeenth year. The next year was occupied in home study and reciting at the academy in auburn, whcih was five miles distant and to which he walked twice a week. In 1837 he entered the law office of Hon. William H. Seard, where he remained untile 1841 and during which time he served as clerk of the Court of Civil and Criminal Jurisdiction. He was also deputy clerk of the United States district court for the Northern district of New York. In the fall of 1842 he entered Yale law school, and remained one year and finished all the studies in the course. After his return from law school he practiced law at Port Byron for two years. In the fall of 1845 he came West, arriving at Milwaukee September 21, 1845, and opened a law office there. That winter, not finding law business lucrative, he taught school at Port Washington. In the fall of 1846 he commenced surveying and also did conveyancing for the new settlers, who were then pouring in; his law business also began to grow. In 1879 he moved to Appleton, Wis, where, on account of his heavy professional labors, his nervous system broke down completly and he was compelled to give up his profession entirely and remove to Port Washington, where he again resumed his practice in 1884 and continued in active practice until his death. He was one of the leading members of the Wisconsin bar. During the war he was appointed judge-advocate by the governor of Wisconsin with a rank of captain, and was also appointed special district attorney to prosecute those engaged in the draft riots at Port Washington. He was one of the leading citizens and the original mover toward building of a harbor at Port Washington-went to Washington and appeared before the committee on rivers and harbors, and his labors procured the first appropriation for he harbor improvement. He was an excellent German scholar and proficient in Greek, Latin and French. He was a profound scholar, and in all his researches he worked back to the fundamental principle of the subject under discussion. He was in all his professional labors a profound lawyer in all the meaning of the word. He was a stanch Republican in politics and before the organization of the party was Whig. He died February 6, 1895. Res. Port Washington, Wis.



Jimmie C. Foster, 52, a mentor to young people, including a small army of seasonal employees at Milwaukee World Festival. Foster last worked as grounds operations director there. "He just had a very special quality that could motivate these kids," said Bo Black, former executive director at Summerfest. "It was 'Mr. Foster this' and 'Mr. Foster that.' He was almost like a preacher inside the Summerfest organization." Foster died of liver cancer March 3.



Who was appointed as the first county clerk, and who also was commissioned as the first justice of the peace in Milwaukee county, was born in Tyngham, Mass., Sept. 7, 1802. From there he came to Chicago, at which place he remained a short time, and then removed to Milwaukee, arriving on Nov. 18, 1833, and entered the employ of Solomon Juneau as a clerk. In fact he was the first white man, of Angle-Saxon blood, to settle in Milwaukee, and as has been stated, he was the first law officer appointed to hold court in Milwaukee county, his jurisdiction at the time of his appointment as justice of the peace extending over nearly half of what is now the state of Wisconsin. In accordance with legislative enactment, when he received the appointment as county clerk, he also became, ex-officio, the first register of deeds of the county, and he held many town and county offices during pioneer days, being one of the most honored citizens of the county. He was a member of the second convention, in 1847, for framing the state constitution, the one that was adopted by the people, and six years later, in 1853, he removed to Rockford, Ill., where he resided until his death, that event occurring on April 12, 1883. He was three times elected to the mayoralty of Rockford. We have taken the liberty to quote somewhat extensively from a narrative of Mr. Fowler, which was published in James S. Buck's Pioneer History of Milwaukee, as it gives some interesting facts converting affairs incident to the time of which we now write:

Having acquired a few hundred dollars by speculating in corner lots, and trading with the Indians at Chicago during the summer and autumn of 1833, I left during the early part of November, of that year, in company with R. J. Currier, Andrew J. Lansing, and Quartus G. Carley, for Milwaukee. The journey passed without further incident than the difficulty experienced in getting through a country with a team, where neither roads nor bridges existed, until the evening of the 12th of November, 1833, when we were encamped on the banks of Root river, and on which occasion the great meteoric display occurred which so alarmed the Indians, and has become a matter of historical remark to this day.

We pursued our journey the day following, I being compelled to swim Root river no less than three times in getting over our baggage and team, although the weather was so cold as to freeze our watersoaked clothing. At Skunk Grove we found Col. Geo. H. Walker, who had a small store of Indian goods, and was trading there. We reached Milwaukee on the 18th of November, 1833,

After our arrival in Milwaukee, my three companions and myself took possession of an old log cabin, where we lived during the winter of 1833-4, doing our own cooking; amusing ourselves as best we could, there being no other white men in the place during that winter, except Solomon Juneau.

In the spring of 1834, my companion went up the river to the school section and made a claim, upon which they afterwards built a mill; and I went into Mr. Juneau's employ, kept his books and accompanied him in his trading expeditions among the Indians. I soon learned to speak the Pottawattomie and Menomonee languages with considerable fluency; dressed in Indian fashion, and was known among them as Mis-kee-o-quoneu, which signified Red Cap, a name given me because I wore a red cap when I first cam among them. I remained in Mr. Juneau's employ until 1836. After he was appointed postmaster, I assisted him in the post-office, and prepared the first quarterly report ever made out at that office.

During the latter part of the summer of 1835, James Duane Doty and Morgan L. Martin went as delegates from the territory of Wisconsin to a session of the council, which was held at Detroit. They brought me, upon their return, a commission as justice of the peace, also as clerk of the court, but of what court was not very clearly defined, there being none organized at Milwaukee at this time. The commission I still have in my possession; it is signed by Steven T. Mason,