Biographies and Family Information

Includes Marriages, Births, Confirmations, Baptisms

To facilitate your search the surnames have been cross indexed.
[ A ] [ B ] [ Be ] [ Bi ]
[ Bo ] [ Br ] [ Bu ] [ C ]
[ D ] [ E ] [ F ] [ G ]
[ H ] [ I ] [ J ] [ K ]
[ L ] [ M ] [ N ] [ O ]
[ P ] [ Q ] [ R ] [ S ]
[ T ] [ U ] [ V ] [ W ]
[ Y ] [ Z ] - -


OSCAR A. KAISER, the genial proprietor of Kaiser's Hair Bazaar, at the corner of Mason and Milwaukee streets, is a son of Adam and Amelia (Schultz) Kaiser, and was born in this city on March 8, 1876. The father was born in Germany in 1839 and the mother in Milwaukee in 1846, and the former is one of the oldest cigarmakers in the city, now conducting factory No. 134 in this city in the same place that he has had for thirty-one years. Oscar A. Kaiser received his primary education in the public schools in Milwaukee and laid the foundation for a business career by a course in the Spencerian Business College. At the age of fifteen years he entered the Merchants' Exchange Bank as a messenger and clerk and was afterward employed in a similar capacity in the First National Bank. In 1900 he purchased the business which now occupies him, which was established in 1888. His enterprise, thrift and sterling integrity have built up for him a large and lucrative business, which is increasing in size from year to year. In politics, Mr. Kaiser is independent of any political affiliation, preferring to exercise his right of suffrage as his conscience and judgment dictate rather than be hampered by party allegiance. In a business and social way he is identified with the Milwaukee Musical Society, the Merchants' and Manufacturers' Association and the Milwaukee Concertina Club. His religious relations are with Trinity German Lutheran church of which he is a devout and loyal member. On Sept. 5, 1900, Mr. Kaiser was united in the holy bonds of matrimony with Miss Emma Hahn, a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Maas) Hahn, of Milwaukee. For the past twenty-five years Mr. Hahn has conducted one of the largest bakeries in the city at Seventeenth and Chestnut streets. To Mr. and Mrs. Kaiser was born in 1908, a son, Arthur Oscar.

Memoirs of Milwaukee County by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 pg. 180



Source: The Medical History of Milwaukee, By Louis Frederick Frank. Published 1915. Germania Publishing Co.

Dr. Ferdinand Kalkhoff was born in Duisdorf, Germay, April 18, 1805, and received his medial education at the University of Bonn. He came to the United States in 1839 and practised his profession for three years at Fort Wayne, Ind. He removed to Milwaukee in 1843, where he practised for several years when he entered the drug business which he followed until his death in 1872.



Shirley Kaul, 73, who founded Cedarburg's Cure for Cabin Fever antique show, held each January. A longtime Cedarburg resident, Kaul evolved from antique collector to dealer and then shop owner. "What drew her to antiques was not the actual product but the hands that once made the product," said daughter-in-law Kolleen Kaul. Shirley Kaul died of emphysema Feb. 3 in Florida.



Ignatz Kautza came to America on the ship "UNION' which sailed from the Port of Bremen to New York and arrived 21 August 1856, which was Ignatz's 50th birthday. His occupation was listed as blacksmith, and the country from which they were traveling was listed as Germany and the city was listed as ALTSTADT in the Province of Anhalt, and their destination was listed as Wisconsin. Traveling with them were his wife Catharina, age 50 years; Johann age 24 years, and his occupation was listed as blacksmith; Johanna age 21 years, and her occupation was listed as servant; Mathias age 18 years and his occupation was listed as cartwright; Franz age 15 years and his occupation was listed as blacksmith; Anton age 7 years; and Martin age 6 years. ( This information was located in the book "Germans to America" Volume 10, Edited by Ira A. Glazier and P. William Filby.)

The family settled in the Milwaukee area between 3rd and 4th street. Ignatz filed his 'Intent for Citizenship' in Milwaukee, and the original paper is on file at the Milwaukee County Historical Society. The paper was filed on 3 November 1857. It confirms that he emigrated to the United States, and landed at the Port of New York in the month of August 1856.

About six years later, they moved to the St. Nazianz area to farm. They settled west of St. Nazianz, near a saw mill which was called "Slab City". (Valders, is the name of the town that was originally called, "Slab City".)

For more information on the Ignatz Kautza Family please see this website.



Thomas Kautza came to Wisconsin about ten or eleven years after the rest of the family. He was married in Prussia, and their first son, Frank was born in Breslau, Germany ,(which is Wroclaw, Poland today) on the 28 July 1866. Their second son, Edward Kautza, was born in the town of Eaton 9 August 1868. According to the St. Gregory's Church records, he was the first Kautza/Kautzer, to be baptized at St. Nazianz, Manitowoc County.

Thomas is believed to have been in the Army in Prussia, as he certainly had to serve if he lived there. It is believed that he left Germany after his discharge from the war of 1866.
Josepha Botha, his wife, came from an aristocratic family that had lots of money. Her parents did not want her to marry Tom, but she did anyway, (they ran away and got married). She was born 11 Mar. 1842 at Ober Slersinger, Prussia, the daughter of Jacob Botha.

The St. Gregory Church records(Manitowoc County) state that Thomas was 48 years old at the time of his death. He died on the same day and year, that his brother Mathias died, and it was 5 years to the day, that their father had died. There was no cause of death on the death certificate. On Mathias' death certificate, it stated he
died of "Delerian Tremors".

Thomas filed his Intent to become a Naturalized Citizen on Oct. 28, 1868.

After Thomas died, their sons built a house for their mother in the town of Eaton. Later, she moved to Hewitt to live with her son Frank and his wife until her death. She died at Hewitt 13 July 1903. She is buried on the Catholic Cemetery at Hewitt, WI.

Thomas and Josepha had three sets of twins in the family, but only one person lived. She was Mary Kautza who married Oscar Freund. Anna Barnard gave me this information. She was a daughter of Tom.

Josepha Botha, Tom's wife, came from an Aristocratic family that had lots of money. Her parents did not want her to marry Tom, but she did anyway (they ran away and got married.) Josepha was therefore dis-inherited by her parents. When asked later on why she did marry Tom, she told them that Tom was a good dancer and she loved to dance. Some think that the "Kautzer" name was changed so that Josepha's parents would not be able to find her. I personally do not believe that, as the name was listed as "Kautzer" very early in the Milwaukee directory - about 1863 - before Tom was ever married, or living in the US.



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Matthew Keenan.-Among the many brave and enterprising immigrants who sought the friendly shores of the United States in the latter part of the Eighteenth and the early part of the Nineteenth centuries, seeking here that freedom of worship and opportunity denied them in Ireland, the land of their forefathers, men whose families first settled in New York and afterwards came to Wisconsin, were the Keenans, who reached Milwaukee in 1837. The family consisted of the father, James Keenan, his wife and three children: Catherine, Margaret and Matthew. The last, our subject, was born on Jan. 26, 1825, at Manlius, Onondaga county, N. Y. The parents were natives of New York, where the father was a farmer for many years, after which he resolved to push farther west and chose Milwaukee as his destination ; but both he and his wife died soon after reaching the straggling aggregation of huts and crude houses that then constituted the village which was destined within the lifetime of our subject to be one of the great cities of the United States, the present city of Milwaukee.

Our subject was an only son, and by the death of his parents became a bread winner for his two sisters. At this time in Milwaukee opportunities for receiving an education were very limited, but if they had been good this poor orphan boy could not well have availed himself of them. He was twelve years of age when he reached the village, and his meager schooling was gained by a few months' attendance in a room of what was commonly called Juneau court-house; but, as he was afterwards wont to say with pardonable pride, he was self-educated, and in this as in everything else to which he turned his hands during a long and eventful life, he did his work well, for he was generally considered a man of refinement and scholarly attainments.

His first employment was in 1839, when he became a clerk in a dry-goods store kept by a William Brown, Jr., which store he and a friend purchased later, prosecuting the business under the firm name of Hayden & Keenan until 1852, when he was elected clerk of the Circuit Court, in which his services were so superbly satisfactory that he was elected for four terms of two years each. Previous to this he had studied law and was admitted to practice. In 1863 he was elected city tax commissioner and then he inaugurated a system in that office which was badly needed, which system is in vogue there till this day. He held this office six years. In 1869 he represented the Seventh ward in the city council, and so eminently satisfactory were his services there that notwithstanding the fact of the district being strongly Republican and he a Democrat, he was elected, in 1871, a member of the legislature by that constituency. During that session he became the father of the present water-works laws, and when the water-works commission was chosen he was made secretary and superintendent, serving two years and until the plant was in successful operation, and then he resigned. During his incumbency the present water tower was planned and built by him. Here again he did his duty well, and, though his hands are now at rest, his labors honor him still. In 1871 he was elected trustee of the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company. Here also his versatile genius and ability as an organizer became apparent, and, in 1874, he was chosen to fill the highly important position of superintendent of agencies of that great institution. In 1876 he was elected vice-president of that company, and was at the same time given control of the investment of its funds, which then amounted to many millions of dollars. He continued to administer that critical department until 1894, and to his sagacity is attributable the present splendid system for loaning funds that is used by that corporation, which is said to be the safest and best of any company in the country. By careful investments he accumulated quite a fortune, but he quietly distributed a goodly sum fur charity. While engaged in large matters his services were so coveted by his fellow citizens, who delighted to honor him, that he was compelled to carry concurrently many minor places. He was vice-president of the Chamber of Commerce during 1869 and '70 and represented this city at the meeting of the National Board of Trade, which was held in Richmond, Va., in 1870. From 1876 to 1879 he was chosen a regent of the University of Wisconsin; he served as trustee of the Young Men's Library Association and laid the foundations of the movement that later resulted in the building of the Milwaukee Public Library; and he was trustee also of that institution for several years. He was a lover of books and an omnivorous reader.

The establishment of the Soldiers' Home at Milwaukee is credited to him by those conversant with the facts. It seems that the committee having charge of the selection of a site for the home had been beset with troubles, prices asked for land seemed abnormally high, and it was about to depart and choose another location. At this juncture someone suggested that Mr. Keenan could solve the problem and cut the Gordian knot. At 2 o'clock one morning he was aroused from his slumbers and an appeal was made to him to come to the city's rescue. He took hold of the matter with such skill and intelligence that before the next day's sun was set he had brushed aside all difficulties and secured the location of the Soldiers' Home at Milwaukee.

On June 28, 1840, he married .Miss Antoinette A., daughter of Martin and Aurelia Griswold Hayden, of Otsego county. N. Y., whose father and mother were born in Windsor. Conn., coming afterward to Cooperstown, N. Y., and later, in 1847, to Milwaukee, where the father died a few months later, leaving his widow and daughter surviving him. Mr. Keenan and wife had no children.

On Aug. 28, 1898, in the seventy-fourth year of his age, this upright man and valuable citizen quietly and unfalteringly entered "the valley of the shadow" to surrender to his Maker the garnered sheaves of a well-spent life, confidently expectant of the benediction divine. He -was a man who, unlike what is said of the prophet, was most honored and respected v here he was best known. In religion he was a devout Roman Catholic, in politics a Democrat, but in every relation of life, from trying poverty to fair affluence, he was broad-minded, public-spirited, courteous and kind, a wise counsellor, a true friend, a loving husband and a model citizen.



Husband痴 Notes...
Baptisms Solomnized in the Parish of Banwell in the County of Somerset in the Year 1820.
p. 42
Date Born: 1820
When Baptized: 16 April 1820 (No. 336)
Child: David (Son of)
Parents Name: Francis KEENE Farmer Banwell Susanna
By Whom Ceremony performed: Joseph SMITH

Accession No: G/1740 Group Code: DD/SAS (including G/2084)


This collection chiefly comprises 19th century papers of members of the Bennett and (( KEENE )) families. George Bennett (1771-1834) was a solicitor in Axbridge, and resident at Land House, Rolston, Banwell. His antiquarian and topographical research interests are reflected in a number of illustrated handwritten volumes relating to the Banwell area. These interests were shared by two of his children, Alfred (1803-1837) and Clara (1808-1860), both of whom contributed illustrations. In addition, all three kept diaries which also survive in the collection.

George Bennett's sister, Susannah (1780-1831), married Francis ((Keene)) of Knightcott, Banwell, in 1806. One of their sons, the Revd David ((Keene)) (1820-1893), emigrated to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, later followed by other members of the ((Keene)) family. Thus, in addition to deeds relating to Knightcott and the ((Keene)) family, the collection includes correspondence between family and friends in the United States and England.

6. Correspondence
6/1 Correspondence to Revd David Keene (1820-1893)

6/1/1 1833 Letter of A Collings concerning recent conversion to Christianity of David Keene. (1 doc.)

6/1/2 1834 Letter of Alfred Bennett to his cousins [David and Aquila Keene] informing them of the death of his father George Bennett, with later typescript notes. (2 docs)

6/1/3 1835-1846 Correspondence of John, Peninnah and Penelope Derham. (7 docs)

6/1/4 1839-1893 Correspondence of Aquila Keene. (59 docs)

6/1/5 1840-1841 Correspondence of George William Bennett. (7 docs)

6/1/6 1840-1858 Correspondence of Mary and Clara Bennett. (16 docs)

6/1/7 1841-1851 Correspondence of Francis Keene to his son. (13 docs)

6/1/81841 Letter of Mary Gregory. (1 doc.)

6/1/9 1842 Correspondence of A Gation concerning ministry work. (2 docs)

6/1/10 1843, 1856 Correspondence of George, Fanny, and Lucy Lansdown of Over Stowey. (15 docs)

6/1/11 1852 Telegram concerning the death of Francis Keene, father of David Keene. (1 doc.)

6/1/12 1852 Letter of D G Rogers concerning the death of Francis Keene. (1 doc.)

6/1/13 1861-1866 Correspondence of John William Bennett.(3 docs)

6/1/14 1867 Letter of Annie [Sarah Anne Keene] to her uncle. (1 doc.)

6/1/15 1881-1886 Letter of Mary Keene to her uncle. (4 docs)

6/1/16 n.d. [c. 1880] Note of Mary Harrison. (1 doc.)

6/1/17 1882, 1892 Correspondence of Allie Say [Betsy Alexandra]. (5 docs)

6/1/18 1887-1889 Correspondence of Johanne Molluch to his friend. (12 docs)

6/1/19 n.d. [c. 1888] Letter of Mrs Keene [wife of Aquila]. (1 doc.)

10. Papers of the Bennett/Keene family

10/3 1833-1834 Admission certificate of David Keene into the Methodist Society, Banwell Circuit, and quarterly ticket for Dec. 1834. (2 docs)

10/7 1839 Poem of Aquila Keene entitled 'David Keene'. (2 docs)

10/13 1858 Licence of Revd David Keene to officiate at divine service at a church within the diocese of Bath and Wells, with typescript copy. (2 docs)

10/15c. 1885-1886 Photocopies of cuttings from Milwaukee newspapers concerning the 38th anniversary of the Episcopal church at Milwaukee, c.1885, and the resignation of rectorship by David Keene, c. 1886. (2 docs)



Candidate for City of Wauwatosa
A.F. Kellogg, Republican candidate for assessor, has been a resident of Wauwatosa for fourteen years. Before this time he lived on a farm in an adjoining town for many years. He is an active citizen and the present assessor, whose judgement of property values is good.

Source: Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899



Source: Album of Genealogy and Biography, Cook County, Illinois: With Portraits, Calumet Book & Engraving Company, January 1, 1896, p. 324

James Bradford Kellogg, a marine underwriter and adjuster of long experience and acknowledged capability, was born in Whitesboro, New York, September 9, 1825. He is the eldest son of Eli C. Kellogg and Lucretia Barnard. The Former was born in Sheffield, Massachusetts, his family being of Scotch lineage. While a young man, he went to New York, where he was engaged in mercantile business. In 1835 he removed to Monroe, Michigan, and continued in the same occupation for ten years. At the end of that period he became a resident of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and after conducting a mercantile business for a time, he engaged in milling.

His death occurred in that city in 1855, at the age of fifty-four years. Mrs. Lucretia Kellogg, who was a native of the Empire State, died at Whitesboro, while on a visit to that place, in 1838. Of their six children, James is the only resident of Illinois. Edgar, the youngest son, now a resident of Denver, Colorado, is the only other survivor.


Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Walter Kempster, M. D., of Milwaukee, Wis., is one of the most eminent physicians in the United States, but his record of patriotism during the dark days of the Civil War is no less worthy of commemoration in the annals of endeavor and achievement. He was born in London, England, May 25, 1841, son of Christopher and Charlotte (Treble) Kempster, and at an early age was brought to America by his parents, who settled in Syracuse, N. Y., about 1849. The father was a botanist and horticulturist of note, and he also gave a great deal of attention to questions relating to human progress, being active in the anti-slavery movement before the war, in prison reform work, and one of the earliest promoters of the Young Men's Christian Association.

The son received his preliminary education in the common and high schools of the city of Syracuse and then entered the Long Island College Hospital. The war clouds had gathered and the storm of fratricidal strife was upon the country before he had finished his professional course, but though he enlisted at the outbreak of hostilities he continued his studies while in the service by having chapters cut from medical books and sent to him in the field. He enlisted in April, 1861, in the Twelfth New York Infantry, known as the "Onondaga Regiment," which was mustered into the United States Service for a three months term at Elmira, N. Y., May 13, 1861. On May 29, it left for Washington and upon its arrival encamped upon Capitol Hill and in the White House grounds until July 10 when it was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, First Division of the Army of Northeastern Virginia, and marched to Chain Bridge. While camped in the White House grounds Dr. Kempster frequently saw and conversed with President Lincoln, the first interview making a lasting impression. Dr. Kempster was not robust at that time, and one day while standing on the steps of the White House, talking with the president's sons, Robert and "Tad", the great president came down the steps, put his hand on the doctor's head, turning his face upward, and after a few moments he said: "My boy, where did you come from" '' you ought not to be here; run in the house and play with the children." The sad expression that came into President Lincoln's face made an impression that has never been forgotten. The regiment was first under fire at Blackburn's Ford, July 18, 1861, losing thirty-two men. Dr. Kempster participated with his command in this engagement and the first battle of Bull Run, July 21, where his regiment was on the left and not engaged until the repulse of the right wing, when the Fourth Brigade held the Confederates in check and prevented them from occupying Centerville, holding that position until the panic-stricken army passed through, leaving Centerville about midnight. After the fight at Blackburn's Ford, Dr. Kempster was detailed from the ranks for service in the field hospital, the first of its kind in what afterward became the Army of the Potomac. Being mustered out of service in October, 1861, Dr. Kempster again enlisted in November, 1861, in the Tenth New York cavalry; the regiment bivouacked at Gettysburg during the Winter of 1861-2, and became familiar with all roads about that place, which was of much use to the cavalry division at the time of the great battle here. He was appointed hospital steward and detailed to hospital duty in Baltimore, where he assisted in the organization of the Patterson Park General Hospital in April, 1862. He arrived at the barracks, just vacated by a regiment of infantry, at noon. The buildings were bare and there was no furniture, not even a stove. Without previous notice, about 3 pP. M., an ambulance train arrived with 300 wounded men from field hospitals. There was no food, not even straw for the men to lie on, and no blankets; but before 8 p. M. That night a warm meal had been prepared, every man had straw to lie on and a blanket to cover him, and the most seriously wounded had been made fairly comfortable. Young Kempster was enabled to secure this remarkable result through the assistance of Surgeon Josiah Simpson, U. S. Army, medical director of the department of the east, who recognized the effort being made by Dr. Kempster and set aside the usual "red tape," adjusting the requisitions afterwards. In a few days the hospital was in good condition and shortly ranked with the best in the army.

At his own request, Dr. Kempster was relieved from this duty in January, 1863, and rejoined his regiment in the field, participating with it in the Stoneman Raid of the Chancellorsville campaign. The regiment is enumerated by Col. Fox as one of the 300 fighting regiments of the war, and it served with the First Brigade, Third Division of the Cavalry Corps of the Army of the Potomac from February to June, 1863, when it was assigned to the Third Brigade of the Second Division, in which division it served until the close of the war. The regiment was in thirty-one pitched battles and many other engagements, beside almost continual skirmishing, from 1863 to the close of the war. Its hardest fighting was at Hawcs' Shop and Brandy Station, but it bore a conspicuous part at Aldie, Middleburg, Upperville, Gettysburg (in the terrific cavalry fight on the right flank, where Stuart's Cavalry was driven from the field during Pickett's celebrated charge), at Sulphur Springs, Auburn, Bristoe Station, Catlett's Station, Aline Run, the Wilderness, Yellow Tavern (where the confederate Gen. J. E. R. Stuart was mortally wounded), Hawes' Shop, Trevilian Station. St. Mary's church, Reams' Station, Boydton Plank Road, and so on to the close of the war at Appomatox. On June 9, 1863, he was promoted to First Lieutenant for gallantry on the field at brandy station. As the regiment lacked its full complement of surgeons he performed the duty of surgeon as well as lieutenant, but in December, 1863, owing to injuries received in service, he resigned his commission.

During convalescence he completed his medical studies in the Long Island Medical College, and was graduated in that institution in June, 1864. He then re-entered the service as acting assistant surgeon, U. S. A., and so continued until the close of the war. After the close of hostilities Dr. Kempster made a special study of nervous and mental diseases, and in 1866 was appointed assistant superintendent of the New York State Asylum for Idiots at Syracuse, in which position he remained until the autumn of 1867. He was then appointed assistant physician in the New York Hospital for Insane at Utica, which position he held until 1873, when he was appointed superintendent of the Northern Hospital for the Insane at Oshkosh, Wis., which necessitated his removal to the Badger State. He remained at Oshkosh until 1884, when he resigned his position and removed to the city of Milwaukee, where he has since resided, giving his attention to professional matters and serving in several important positions, among which have been special medical commissioner for the United States government to Russia ; also to visit Europe and take measures to prevent the introduction of cholera to the United States during the World's Fair in 1893, Commissioner of Health of the city of Milwaukee, 1894-8; and professor of mental diseases in the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons. Dr. Kempster's professional specialty is diseases of the nervous system and insanity, he having been the first physician in the United States to make systematic microscopic examinations of brains of the insane, and he was also the first to photograph through a microscope the actual disease of the brain, accomplishing the latter in 1867. He was one of the three physicians appointed by the United States government to examine Charles Guiteau, who shot President Garfield, and found him sane and responsible. In the literary field he has also won considerable recognition, being the author of "The Causes of Emigration from Europe," a valuable work in two volumes, published in 1892; "The International Dissemination of Cholera and Other Infectious Diseases, with Plan for Effectual Quarantine" (1893); and he is also a contributor to standard publications on the subjects of insanity, mental hygiene, and jurisprudence. Notwithstanding the energy and concentration of thought necessary to secure high standing in the medical profession.

Dr. Kempster has found time to devote to fellowship with his old comrades of war times. He is an honored member of the G. A. R.; was commander of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of Wisconsin, 1001, and a member of the Society of the Army of the Potomac. In addition to other literary work he has written a number of articles on military affairs, besides delivering lectures and public addresses. He delivered funeral orations on the day President Garfield was buried, also on the occasion of President McKinley's burial. He is the author of a "History of the Cavalry of the Army of the Potomac," which is considered a valuable contribution to Civil War literature.



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

William John Kershaw, who is engaged in the general practice of law in the city of Milwaukee, was born at Big Spring, Adams county, Wis. on Jan. 12. 1865, son of William John and Martha Mary (Corn) Kershaw, the former of whom was born in County Antrim, near Belfast, Ireland, and the latter was a native of Wisconsin. On the maternal side the subject of this review comes from an old American family, the blood being strongly mixed with that of the native American Indian. The mother, Mary Corn, and the members of her family had much influence for good among the red men, her aunt, Mary Wallsworth, being a remarkable woman in that respect. The husband of the latter conducted a pioneer hotel in Adams county and many Indians camped in that vicinity, so that it was a favorable point for the agents of the government to meet the nation's wards and deal with them, Mrs. Wallsworth frequently acting as the interpreter.

William John Kershaw, Sr., migrated from the Emerald Isle as a young man and first took up his residence in Albany, N. Y., but soon thereafter he continued his journey to Big Spring, Adams county. Wis., where he had some dealings with the Indians as an agent of the United States, and in this way he met the lady who afterward became his wife. He was a lawyer, and after locating at Big Spring continued to practice his profession there for a number of years, and filled several important official positions, among which was district attorney of Adams county. In October, 1861, he enlisted in the Eighteenth Wisconsin infantry for service in the Civil war, and after serving for a time as sergeant-major was made captain of Company K on March 14, 1862. The regiment was mustered in and left the state on March 30, being sent to Pittsburg Landing, and reached there on April 5. The next morning, with absolutely no instruction in the manual of arms and but little drill, it was ordered to check the enemy's advance at Shiloh, and fought bravely. "Many regiments may well covet the impressions which the Eighteenth Wisconsin left of personal bravery, heroic daring and determined endurance," said Governor Harvey. It took part in the siege of Corinth, which followed closely, and then encamped at Corinth and Bolivar. Captain Kershaw participated in all the service of the regiment up to this time, but he resigned his commission on Sept. 3, 1862, and returned home. In the spring of 1864 he again entered the service as major of the Thirty-seventh Wisconsin infantry, to which position he was assigned on March 10. The first six companies of this regiment were mustered into service the latter part of March, and with Major Kershaw in command, left the state on April 28 for Virginia to join the Army of the Potomac. The regiment distinguished itself at Petersburg on June 16, 17 and 18, and on the 17th Major Kershaw was seriously wounded by a musket ball through both his legs. This wound practically ended his military career, and although promoted to lieutenant-colonel on Sept. 27, he never mustered as such, and on Oct. 18, 1864, he resigned his commission as major. He then returned to his home at Big Spring, Wis., and renewed the practice of law.

In 1866 and again in 1867 he was elected to represent Adams county in the Wisconsin assembly, serving two terms in that capacity, immediately succeeding which, in 1868, he was elected to the state senate and served during the sessions of 1869-70. While serving in this position he removed to the city of Milwaukee and in company with C. J. Kershaw became interested in the salt, cement, plaster and lumber business. His partner, although of the same name, was not related to him. Colonel Kershaw was again elected to the state assembly from Milwaukee county, serving in the session of 1875, after which he gave his attention to private affairs until his death in 1883, his wife having passed away in 1865.

William J. Kershaw, whose name introduces this review, received his primary education in the public schools of Adams county and later attended St. Lawrence College, east of Fond du Lac, and St. Francis Seminary, near Milwaukee. He then made a trip West, in which region he remained two years, and upon his return worked in the northern woods one year. He then served an apprenticeship at the machinist trade, but after mastering its intricacies he decided that it was not to his liking and began, the study of law in the office of W. C Williams and Aug. G. Weissert. In due time he was admitted to the bar and began the practice of his profession, first in the employ of Mr. Weissert, his former instructor, with whom he remained until 1892, when he became the junior member of the firm of Eschweiler, Van Valkenburgh & Kershaw. This partnership existed for some time, but in 1897 Mr. Kershaw began practice alone and has since conducted individually an excellent practice.

He was married on March 31, 1893, to Miss Henrietta, daughter of Joseph and Emma (Meyer) Schiller, of Milwaukee. In politics Mr. Kershaw adheres to the time-honored principles of the Democratic party, his religious affiliations are with the Roman Catholic church, and fraternally he is a member of the military order of the Loyal Legion, that distinction being his as an inheritance from his father. He also has membership in the Milwaukee Bar Association and the Archaeological Society.



Married a Chilton Banker
MILWAUKEE, July 29, This morning at the chapel of the Home of the Good Shepard, Miss Lizzie Sieben and Theodore Kersten were united in marriage by Rev. Father Buckengruber, of St. Michael's church. The brid is the daughter of one of Milwaukee's pioneers, and the groom is a well-known Chilton banker, who was the democratic candidate for state treasurer two years ago.

Source: The Wisconsin State Journal Madison, Wisconsin July 29, 1890



For more information on this family see this website.

John George Kestell was born 24 August 1853, the son of Johann Baptist Kastel and Ursula Kreppel/Krebbel/Krippel, in the town of Germantown, Washington County, Wi. He married , Jane Daily, a neighbor girl, about 1880. She died giving birth to their first born son on 12 March, 1881. Jane was born December 20, 1840 at Rochester, New York, the daughter of John and Nancy Daily. She was 40 years old when she died. She was 13 years older then John George. She is buried on Nelson's burial ground, Waukesha, Co.

The 26th of August 1880, John Kastell bought the farm from his mother for $1,000. with the personal. In the 1870 census, the property was valued as follows: 20 acres improved land, 20 acres woods valued at $1500. and $50. worth of machinery: 2 milking cows, 2 working oxen, 5 swine, $100. all livestock; 80 bushels wheat, 20 bushels rye, 10 bushels oats, 10 lbs. wool, 25 bushels peas and beans, 60 bushels Irish potatoes. $10.00 orchard products, 300 lbs. butter, 8 tons hay, $55.00 worth of animals slaughtered; $650.00 estimated value of all farm products. There was also a plow, a spring tooth, and a drag included in the machinery.

On October 3, 1881, there was a land entry between Nancy Daily and John G. Kestell (as he spells his name now) . According to the indenture, Jane, John George's wife, had bought the farm a few years earlier from her mother, but I guess the papers were not made at the time. Jane had died in March and the estate was being settled. Before the death of Johann Baptist Kastel, John George went by the name of 'George", because of the confusion with his father's name. He kept using the name of 'George until the time of his death, even though he had a brother by the name of George.

Eight months after Jane died, John George Kestell married Magdalena Breckheimer, daughter of Ambrose Breckheimer and Anna Maria Koblenz in St. Francis Church in Milwaukee. They were married by Rev. P. Ignatius Ullrich on 15 Nov. 1881. Lena Breckheimer was born 28 June 1855, in the town of Rhine, Sheboygan County. She went to Milwaukee to find work as a young girl and that is when she met John George. Magdalena died of Broncho pneumonia following a case of the measles, on the 14 Sept. 1902. She is buried on St. George's Catholic Cemetery in the town of Rhine - just one half mile north from the family homestead.

On the 19th Jan. 1882, John George sold the homestead farm to John Conrath Wiseckel with the personal. He must have gotten the farm back, as on the 15 Oct. 1886, GEORGE John Kestell and wife Magdalena sold the farm to John Tiry (George Kestell was married to Ferdinanda Tiry), and on the same day, 15 Oct. 1886, John Tiry sold the homestead farm to Charles Dallmann of Milwaukee County. Charles Dallmann was married to Christina Kaestel, a sister of John George's.

John George Kestell and his wife Magdalena and family of seven children, lived on the "Daily" farm in Germantown until 9 June 1894, when they bought the farm in the town of Rhine, Sheboygan County, from Ambrose Breckheimer and his wife Anna Maria. The Breckheimers were the parents of Magdalena Kestell. They paid 3500.00 for 110 acres of land and all the