Skip to: Site menu | Main content


Biographies and Family Information

Includes Marriages, Births, Confirmations, Baptisms
Milwaukee County Wisconsin Genealogy

To facilitate your search the surnames have been cross indexed.
[ A ][ B ][ C ][ D ][ E ][ F ][ G ][ H ][ I ][ J ]
[ K ][ L ][ M ][ N ][ O ][ P ][ Q ]
[ R ][ S ][ T ][ U ][ V ][ W ][ Y ][ Z ]



of the schooner "A.B. MOORE," was born in County Antrim, Ireland, March 9, 1840. Command sailing in the British merchant service in 1856, spent about six years on the salt water, in the Australia, New York and Liverpool, Mediterranean and North America lumber trade. Made his first acquaintance with the lake sailing of this country in 1860, returning again to the salt water. He made a permanent residence in Milwaukee in 1873. Sailed the bark "NELSON" five seasons, and in the Spring of 1877, took command of the schooner "A.B.MOORE." Has sailed her four seasons. Residence, No. 308 Second avenue.

Source: History of Milwaukee County, 1881



H.S. Mack & Co., Manufacturers of pants, overalls and shirts, and jobbers in men's furnishing goods. Nos. 326 and 328 Broadway. The business of this house was established in 1862 by Hugo Mack, who at that time started a small wholesale business in fancy dry goods and notions at No. 423 1/2 East Water street, occupying one room 11x50 feet in size, carrying a stock of about $5000, and employing one till 1867, when Herman S. Mack became a partner and the firm name became H.S. Mack & Co. The new firm moved into more commodious quarters, occupying the four-story store at No. 348 East Water Street, where it remained till 1870, when the business was again removed to a larger store at No. 349 East Water Street. Again in 1873 their increasing business forced a removal to more commodious quarters, and they occupied the double store at Nos. 369 and 371 East Water Street. They moved to the store they now occupy, Nos. 326 and 328 Broadway, in 1878. Their present store is a large three-story brick structure, with basement, 36x127 feet in size, and perfectly adapted to the business they are now carrying on.

In 1872 the firm imported some improved knitting looms and commenced the manufacture of woolen scarfs and jackets. This manufacture has grown to be an important and profitable branch of their business. Since moving into their present store (1878), the house has ceased to deal in fancy dry goods and notions, confining itself to gents' furnishings goods and the goods it manufactures.

The house from small beginnings has grown to be one of the leading houses in its branch of business. Its trade extends throughout Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Dakota, Michigan, and Northern Illinois. It carries a large and fully assorted wholesale stock, employs five traveling salesmen and from 150 to 200 employees in the store and manufactory.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1881; pg. 1249



was born March 4, 1821, in Schoharie, Schoharie County, N.Y. He worked on his father's farm until he was 20 years of age, but had, in the meantime, prepared himself for college, and in 1840 entered the Sophomore class of Williams College. He graduated from Union College in 1843, read law, and in 1846, was admitted to the Bar of the Supreme Court of New York. He practiced at his native place for eight years, when he removed to West Bend, Wis. He formed a partnership with Hon. L.F. Frisby, was elected Judge of the Third Circuit, in 1859, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Chas. H. Larrabee, and in 1860 elected to the same position. He removed to Milwaukee in January, 1867, and after a successful practice of six years, was appointed County Judge, by Governor Taylor, in February 1876.

pg. 856 History of Milwaukee 1881



Source: The Medical History of Milwaukee, By Louis Frederick Frank. Published 1915. Germania Publishing Co.

Dr. E. S. Marsh, a well educated man, coming from Rochester, N. Y., was active in promoting all matters pertaining to his profession, being also one of the organizers of the first medical society. He and Dr. Wolcott loved hunting and fishing, often joining in trips with the rod and gun. He went to California during the gold excitement and acquired some wealth. He was killed by a steamboat explosion at New Orleans in 1849, while on his way back to Milwaukee from California.



Personal Information
Place of Birth - Milwaukee Wisconsin 
Age - 18
Complexion - Colored
Occupation - Laborer/Boatman
Height - 5'3"
Naval Service
Place of Enlistment - Cairo 
Date of Enlistment - September 10, 1864
Term of Enlistment - 3
Rating - Landsman
Detailed Muster Records
Date   Vessel 
January 1, 1865      Forest Rose 
October 1, 1864      Forest Rose 
August 4, 1865      Forest Rose 
December 31, 1864      Forest Rose 
August 9, 1865      Huntress
Source: Howard University Research Project
African American Sailors in the Union Navy


Candidate for Town of Wauwatosa
R.J. Matthias, Republican candidate for justice of the peace, is a property holder in Wauwatosa. He formerly lived in central Wisconsin where he was justice of the peace for twelve years.

Source: Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899


George P. Mayer

Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

George P. Mayer, president of the F. Mayer Boot & Shoe Company, is one of the representative business men of Milwaukee. Born in Milwaukee on Dec. 14, 1860, he received his education in the city schools, both public and parochial, and completed his scholastic training by a course in Northwestern University at Watertown, Wis. He comes of good German stock.

His father, Frederick Mayer, was born in Nierstein, Germany, on Sept. 4, 1823, and the mother, Phillipine (Laubenheimer) Mayer, in the same country on July 18, 1829. The father received the education afforded by the common schools of his native country and served his apprenticeship in the shoemaker's trade in the shop of a relative in Nierstein. He was at different times located in various parts of Germany, traveling through the country as a journeyman shoemaker. From 1847 to 1851 he served his country as a soldier in the army, and upon receiving an honorable discharge from the service he emigrated to the United States. He located in Milwaukee on May 8, 1851, and from the time of his arrival until his death, which occurred March 16. 1893, he was one of the most public spirited and influential men in the city. The first year after his arrival he was employed by R. Suhm in his store on Third street as a shoemaker. In 1852 he embarked in the retail shoe business under his own name, and for twenty-eight consecutive years conducted a store at 318 West Water street. His advent in the business of manufacturing shoes was in 1880, when he established a factory on Walnut street between First street and Island avenue, in a frame building-of three stories, forty by seventy feet in size. It was while conducting this factory that Frederick Mayer adopted the policy which has been followed to the present day and which is the keynote of the success which the firm has attained, namely: to fix a high standard of production and manufacture shoes of the best quality.

In 1884 the growing demand for the output of the factory necessitated the building of an addition of two stories, thirty-three by fifty-five feet. The quality of Mayer shoes was by this time becoming known throughout the country and the constant demands of the trade made it expedient to enlarge the old factory and to lease and build new warehouses and factory departments. Eleven different times since 1884 has it become necessary for the Milwaukee end of the business to acquire more space. In 1903, in order to accommodate the western trade, the company purchased the controlling interest of the Washington Shoe Manufacturing Company at Seattle, Wash., and within two years it became necessary to enlarge the capacity of this factory. Probably no better example of the growth of the business can be found than in the facts that in 1880 the company had a capacity of 150 pairs of shoes a day, while today the capacity is 9,000 pairs per day ; in 1880 the company had one traveling representative, and today it has fifty-five.

George P. Mayers connection with the firm began in 1880, when Frederick Mayer purchased the Goldman interests. Prior to that time he had served in a clerical capacity for a sewing machine concern and had also been office assistant to a physician. When, in 1884, the firm was incorporated as the F. Mayer Boot & Shoe Company, with a capital stock of $50,000, he became secretary and treasurer, the other officers being Frederick Mayer, president, and V. Schoenecker, vice-president. Ever since his association with the concern he has devoted his best efforts to its development and welfare, and his measure of success can be judged by the rapid progress of the company, the paid-up capital of the company now being $1,250,000. Mr. Mayer's religious affiliations are with the Grace Lutheran church, of which he is a member. His close attention to business leaves him little time for participation in other affairs.

On Jan. 26, 1896, Mr. Mayer was united in marriage to Miss Amalie Brumder, a daughter of Hon. George Brumder, an old resident of Milwaukee. Four children have blessed this union: George, Erma, Rudolph and Dorothy. Since 1906 Mr. Mayer has been president of the F. Mayer Boot & Shoe Company. Two of his brothers, Frederick J. and Adam J., are vice-president and treasurer, respectively.



Mary Jane A. Mayer, 70, a nurse who became a patient advocate, declaring that there was no place like home for health care. Mayer spent much of her career with the Visiting Nurse Association of Wisconsin, including as its president, and paved the way for affiliation with Aurora Health Care. She died of cancer Nov. 12.



Candidate for Town of Wauwatosa
William McClintock, Democratic candidate for justice, has been a justice of the peace in this town for several years. His office is at 36th and State St. in the old E.D. Holton mansion and is at present the chairman of the Democratic town committee.

Source: Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899



Captain William F. McGregor, of Milwaukee, has inherited, at least to a partial degree, the taste and skill he has shown as a mariner of the Great Lakes. His father, Capt. Alexander McGregor, of Goderich, Ontario, is a well-known vesselman who has sailed successfully through life the unsalted seas, and his grandfather, Alexander McGregor, was an early Indian trader along the St. Lawrence and Georgian Bay. The family is descended from the the famous Rob Roy of Scotland.

William F. McGregor was born in Goderich, Ont., April 18, 1848. In his native city he received a good common-school education which he has since supplemented by a wide and extensive reading. Captain McGregor is especially interested in whatever pertains to marine affairs, and is well informed upon all phases of lake sailing. It was at the age of sixteen years that he left school and went before the mast with his father. He followed sailing vessels until 1867, when he went on the side-wheel steamer Keweenaw, plying between Cleveland and Superior, and the year following, at the age of twenty years, became second mate on that steamer. In 1867 he became a citizen of the United States at Detroit. In July, 1868, he was appointed second mate of the side-wheel steamer Clinton.

In the fall of 1868, at the close of the season, Captain McGregor diversified his experience by engaging in railroading on the Union Pacific, then attracting considerable attention in the opening up of a through route to the Pacific. But he was drawn back to the lakes the following summer, when he shipped as second mate of the steamer Alpena; from her he went to the propeller Boscobel, where he remained until she was burned on St. Clair river. Captain McGregor tried tugging for a short time on the Champion on the Detroit and St. Clair rivers. He then went to Montreal and conveyed to Mill Point the wrecked schooner Babeneau and Goudery, the property of his father. He superintended her rebuilding, and when the vessel was sold he went on the steamer Tonawanda, at Buffalo, as watchman. He was with the Tonawanda until she foundered off Point Abino, Lake Erie, when he finished the season as mate of the schooner Tecumseh.

In the following spring Captain McGregor went as second mate of the steamer Chicora, running between Collingwood and Duluth, finishing the season as mate. Then for two seasons he was mate of the steamer Benton, on the Cleveland and Saginaw route. For two months of the next year, 1874, he was mate of the steamer J. Cook, running between Detroit and Sandusky; then he was appointed master of the propeller Michigan. Captain McGregor was only twenty-six years of age when he thus took command of the vessel. He was reappointed in 1875, but the season being dull she did not fit out, and on July 3, 1875, Captain McGregor was appointed mate of the steamer St. Paul, finishing the season in her. He sailed during the season of 1876 as master of the steamer Benton. In the spring of 1877 he came to Lake Michigan as mate of the steamer Sheboygan, and served in that capacity for two and a half years. He was then appointed master of the steamer Truesdell, and in the spring of 1880 became master of the steamer Menominee, of the Goodrich line. Remaining two years, he next took command of the steamer Wisconsin, running between Grand Haven and Milwaukee. In May, 1888, he changed from the Wisconsin to the steamer M.H. Boyce as master and part owner, and has been in command of the steamer ever since. The vessel interests of Captain McGregor are not confined to the Boyce, as he is part owner of the Mary McGregor also. He is a safe and companionable navigator of the Great Lakes, and his career has been in every respect most successful. He is a prominent member of the Shipmasters Association of Milwaukee, and is also a member of the Royal Arcanum and of the United Workmen.

In January, 1872, he was married to Miss Mary Nolan, of Goderich, and has five children: Flora, Ethel, Genevieve, Frederick and Clifton.

Source: Unknown



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Dr. James McGuffin, a prominent physician of Milwakee, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., July 11,1829, the son of James and Jane (Wright) McGuffin, both born in Ireland. The parents came to Oneida County about 1822, and there the father followed farming, but later he moved his family to Canada where he and his wife died, leaving a family of eleven children, of whom four are now living.

Our subject was educated in the public schools of Canada. He removed to Iowa in 1867 and to Milwaukee in 1878, and he graduated in the medical department of the Iowa University about 1870 practicing some years in Iowa, when he took a special course in Electrical Therapeutics in Philadelphia and has practiced in this line in Milwaukee for thirty years with remarkable success.

On Sept. 23, 1869, he married Margaret Jane, daughter of Thomas and Dorothy (Wilmott) Bowes, the father being born in Ireland, of Scotch ancestry and his wife was born in Rutlamshire, England, both coming, while young, to Milton, Canada, where the wife of our subject was born in 1832, and where both of her parents are buried. There were nine children in the family, of whom three are now living. Our subject was twice married, the first time as above stated and the second time to Jane Ann Hatton, of Canada. By the first marriage he had two daughters: Elizabeth Jane, of Toronto, Canada; and Charlotte Sophia, of Golden, Colorado. The latter had four children, one of whom is married and has children, thus making the doctor a great-grandfather. To the second marriage of the subject of this review there was born a son, Thomas Bowes McGuffin. The doctor is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and politically he affiliates with the Republican party. He has always led a studious life, being a lover of books, and he delights in the pleasures of the imagination and in scientific research. After a well-spent life he is nearing the four score milestone, placidly waiting until the "shadows have a little longer grown."



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

John J. D. Meinke was born in Lubben in the dukedom of Mecklenburg-Schwerin on July 13, 1834. He received a common country school education and graduated at the age of fifteen years. After he left school on March 1, 1849, he entered into an apprenticeship, studying the art of carriage manufacturing in Guestrow with Fred Delpho, a carriage maker, for a term of three years. He then left home for the purpose of better educating himself and traveled through the European countries. He succeeded in obtaining an engagement in Bremen where he remained until June 15, 1857, when he left his situation to go home and arrange his affairs preparatory to a journey to America. Boarding a sailing vessel at Bremen July 3, 1857, in company with his bride-to-be he landed in New York on Aug. 28, 1857. He arrived in Milwaukee on Sept. 5. 1857, with but little means left. Hard times were setting in and there was no work of any kind to be obtained at any price and Mr. Meinke was unable to secure employment for seven months. He engaged to work on April 10, 1858 with Isaac Ellsworth, then a carriage manufacturer.

On April 30, 1858 he was married to Barbara Preem, who had accompanied him to America. He worked for Mr. Ellsworth two years and seven months, until Oct. 1, 1860, the business being located at 299-300 Broadway in the city of Milwaukee.

His father, Frederick Meinke. was born in Strigo, Germany, in 1800 and his mother, Elizabeth (Eggert) Meinke, was born in Vielgert, Germany. The father was a carriage maker by trade in the old country and left for America in 1860, arriving- in Milwaukee on July 3 of that year, coming direct to his son, the subject of this review, who was then working for the firm of Isaac Ellsworth.

Giving up his position on Oct. 1, 1860, John Meinke and Chris Krop engaged in business on a small scale, doing their manufacturing in a small blacksmith shop at 303-306 Broadway, which was formerly a horseshoeing shop, 60x80 feet. The owner, Dave Clary, was lost on the Lady Elgin. Carriages, buggies and wagons were manufactured and all kinds of repairing pertaining to that line was done. The father, Frederick Meinke, worked for the new firm. On April 1, 1861, the firm name changed to John Meinke, he buying out Chris Krop's interest, and from that time on the business was progressive. In 1862 John Meinke bought out the firm of Isaac Ellsworth, thus gaining control of his old employer's business, and he carried on both places until the lease expired at 303-306 Broadway.

In the fall of 1863 he entered into partnership with Charles Weber, a blacksmith, who was then working for him; the Civil war being then in progress, made it hard to get good mechanics. The business was then carried on under the name of John Meinke & Co. until November, 1865, when the entire plant was destroyed by fire on Sunday night, effecting almost a total loss. Then the co-partnership of John Meinke and Charles Weber was dissolved by mutual consent, Charles Weber withdrawing. A temporary building was constructed and by Friday of the same week three forges were going in full blast on the old site. A store 20x80 at 300 Broadway was rented for wood working and storage purposes, and on July 1, 1866, Mr. Meinke purchased the northeast corner, 294-96-98 Broadway and Detroit streets-the old McCormick hotel site-held by the United States government as a retreat for disabled soldiers until the close of the war in 1865. In July, 1866, the old hotel was remodeled and converted into a permanent carriage factory. In 1869 Broadway and Detroit streets were raised four feet and nine inches, throwing the old manufacturing place practically out of service and making it necessary to build a new plant. On Aug. 1, 1871, the old building was removed to a lot on the northwest corner of Detroit and Milwaukee streets and converted into a hotel again, and a new plant was erected on the old site on Broadway. It was a three-story and basement brick building, 40x120. Mr. Meinke then employed twenty-five hands. In the fall of 1872 his father, Frederick Meinke, withdrew to private life on account of old age and lived until Sept. 11, 1881. There were nine children born to John J. D. Meinke and wife and of these six died in infancy from one to six years old and three grew to maturity-Ernest, Lilly and Paul. Ernest and Paul, after graduating from school, started with their father in his business and remained with him until death overtook them. Ernest Meinke died Sept. 11. 1894, leaving a wife and two daughters. Paul died Dec. 27. 1897. leaving a wife and one son, John Meinke, Jr. The father then carried on his business alone until the spring of 1899, when he retired to private life, disposing of his stock on hand as best he could and renting the property, a part of which is still a carriage manufacturing place at 108-110 Detroit street. Mr. Meinke is the owner of the following- real estate: 294-296-298 Broadway; lots 6 and 7, the south 20 feet of lot 5 in block 15, and the north 30 feet by 120 deep of lot 3, block 38, all in Third ward; lots 2 and 3 in block 181, Second ward, all in the city of Milwaukee.

Mr. Meinke is a member of the St. John's Lutheran church, also a member of the Milwaukee County Old Settlers' Club and the Milwaukee County West Side Old Settlers' Club, a member of the German Immigrants' Aid Society and a member of the Board of Directors. He resides at 274 Tenth street.




Israel's Third Prime Minister

Israeli politician; born in Kiev, Ukraine as Golda Mabovich in 1898. She emigrated to the U.S.A. in 1906 (to Milwaukee) and became a teacher and Zionist activist in Milwaukee. She emigrated to Palestine in 1921 after her marriage to Morris Myerson. He died in 1951. She adopted the Hebrew name Meir ("to burn brightly" in 1956. She worked as a Zionist and labor activist. Elected to the Israeli parliament in 1949, she held labor (1949--56) and foreign affairs (1956--66) cabinet portfolios and was Israel's fourth Prime Minister (1969--74). Although credited with strengthening Israel through immigration policies and construction programs, she was forced to resign in the wake of Israel's losses in the October 1973 war.

She died in Jerusalem on Dec. 8, 1978.

Source: Unknown



Mary L. Meixner, 87, artist and educator. In retirement, she returned to the old family home in Metcalfe Park area, again becoming part of the neighborhood. She later provided a substantial gift for arts and cultural programs at the Fitzsimonds Boys & Girls Club, built as part of the new Metcalfe Park Elementary School. Meixner died of natural causes Oct. 26.



No. 399 Orchard street, was born in Norway, in 1837. He commenced sailing in the old country, at the age of 16, and sailed before the mast twelve years. He came direct to this city in 1866, and he followed the same vocation since on the lake. He has worked up to the position of captain and has commanded a vessel seven years, and is now in command of the "CUBA." He was married November 27, 1872, to Caroline Ornsen. They have two living children--Charlie Otto and Minnie Annetta.

Source: History of Milwaukee County, 1881)



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Charles Menger is a well-known and popular florist of Milwaukee. He was born in Bernburg, Germany, on Sept. 14, 1866, and is a son of Fred and Ernestine (Stroemer) Menger, both natives of Germany. The father in the Fatherland was a brewer by profession, and was employed in that trade up to the time he came to America in 1881. Upon coming to the United States he secured employment with the Pabst Brewing Company of Milwaukee, and remained with the Pabst Company, and severed his connection when he had accumulated a sufficient competence to purchase a small tract of land on what is now Twenty-seventh Street. Here he did market gardening for a number of years, but in 1893 retired from that occupation and built a greenhouse on his property, which at the time of his retirement in 1903 had grown to large proportions. He and his wife now make their residence at 538 Twenty-seventh Street. The three sons born to them are all living.

Charles Menger, the subject of this review, received his scholastic training in the schools of his native land. While still a youth in his native land he mastered the florist's art, and after coming to the United States with his parents worked with his father in Market gardening and later in the greenhouses. When the father retired in 1903 he assumed the active control of the business, which has had an exceptional growth under his skillful management. In his politics Mr. Menger is not allied with any of the existing political parties, preferring to exercise his right of franchise as his conscience and his judgment dictate. His religious relations are with the Lutheran Church. His time is largely devoted to his business, but he finds leisure to enjoy the meetings of the Florists' Club and Liedertafel Society, with both of which he is identified as a member.

On Nov. 27, 1895, occurred Mr. Menger's marriage to Miss Anna Oestreicker, a daughter of Anton and Ernestine (Wendtlandt) Oestreicker, of Milwaukee. Two children have been the issue of this marriage-Carl, born Nov. 17,1896, and Hilda, born July 17,1898.


Dr. John A. Messinger

Dr. John A. Messinger, from Egremont, Mass., soon abandoned the practice of medicine after reaching Milwaukee in 1836 and engaged in speculation. He was a bitter opponent of slavery and on one occasion rescued a negro, who had been arrested under the fugitive slave law, took him in his carriage and drove to Waukesha, the officers of the law pursuing for some distance, but the doctor drove a fast horse and could not be overtaken. From Waukesha the runaway slave made his escape to Canada. Fearing arrest in Milwaukee the doctor went to Racine, finally deciding to return and "face the music." He escaped punishment, but his death, Aug. 4th, 1854, was believed to have been hastened by reflections that preyed on his mind.



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

George Peckham Miller, of the firm of Miller, Mack & Fairchild, Milwaukee, may well be said to belong to a legal family. His grandfather, Judge Andrew Galbraith Miller, descended from Scotch-Irish ancestors, who immigrated to America in the colonial days, served as territorial judge from November, 1838, succeeding Judge Frazer, until the admission of Wisconsin as a state, when he was made judge of the federal district comprising the whole state, and discharged all the functions of the federal judiciary of the state for fourteen years. Andrew G. Miller was born in Carlisle, Cumberland County. Pa., Sept. 18, 1801, and was the eldest of a family of ten children. In 1827 he married Miss Caroline E. Kurtz, of Harrisburg, Pa., whose father, Benjamin Kurtz, helped to establish the Lutheran church in America. Judge Miller remained upon the federal bench until Nov. 11, 1873, when he resigned, his resignation taking effect the following January. He died suddenly on Sept. 30, 1874. His son, Benjamin K. Miller, was born in Gettysburg, Pa., May 6, 1830, and came west with his parents in 1838.

Although the opportunities for education in Milwaukee were at that time meager, Judge Miller, himself a graduate of Washington College, Pa., in the class of 1819, provided private instruction for his son and he was fitted for college under the tuition of Rev. Alfred l. Chapin, D. D., afterward president of Beloit College, and entered the freshman class of Washington College, pursuing the classical course until near the close of the junior year. Returning home, he began the study of the law under the preceptorship of his father, Judge Miller, and was admitted to the bar upon the day on which he attained his majority. He was married on Sept. 3, 1856, to Miss Isabella Peckham, daughter of Geo. W. Peckham, a banker and lawyer of Milwaukee, and in January, 1857, he became a partner in the firm of Finch, Lynde & Miller, the firm designation remaining unchanged until 1890. Mr. Miller was counsel for interests, especially as to trusts, in the estates of most of the wealthy citizens of Milwaukee. The firm was also attorneys for the railroads consolidated under the name of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, and also for the receivers of the Northern Pacific Company pending the adjustment of claims, Mr. Miller being pre-eminently the office lawyer. He died on Sept. 12, 1898.

George Peckham Miller, the second son of Benjamin K. And Isabella (Peckham) Miller, was born Oct. 12, 1858, in Milwaukee. Beside the distinguished legal names already mentioned in connection with the family, there was Rufus W. Peckham, uncle of Mrs. B. K. Miller, for many years one of the judges of the court of appeals of the state of New York; Rufus W. Peckham of a later generation, born in 1838, and one of the justices of the supreme court of the United States since 1896, and his brilliant brother, Wheeler H.. Peckham, nominated as a justice of the same court by President Cleveland. George P. Miller received an exceptionally thorough education, beginning with his elementary studies. Subsequently he entered the Pennsylvania College at Gettysburg, in which he was graduated in 1877, intending to enter the banking business in the employ of the late Alexander Mitchell. The bank building being at that time in course of construction, he took a trip to Europe in the meantime, and entered a German University; and later he divided to continue his studies there, studying law and the philosophy of law at the German universities of Gottingen and Breslau from 1877 to 1880, taking the degree of J. U. D. (juris utriusque (doctor) at Gottingen. He was admitted to the Bar in 1881, and the following year began practice in Milwaukee in partnership with his father and Henry M. Finch, Asahel Finch and William P. Lynde. Within the years 1883 and 1885 the last three named died, leaving only B. K. Miller of the original members of the firm. The latter being devoted to the office work, George P. and Benjamin K. Miller, Jr., were intrusted, almost at the beginning of their legal career, with some of the most important litigation of the state, and with the aid of their father, who was a man of great ability and undoubted integrity, they succeeded not only in holding the large business of the firm but in increasing it. George P. Miller has been engaged as counsel by many large corporations and has been in much important litigation. Among the important estates of which he is trustee may be mentioned those of John Plankinton, E. H. Brodhead, Henry C. Payne, T. A. Chapman and B. K. Miller. He is also a member of the board of trustees of the Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York, of the First National Bank and of the Layton Art Gallery, and is attorney for the T. M. E. R. & l. Company, the Milwaukee Gas Light Company and the Wisconsin Telephone Company. While supporting the Democratic party, he has never been in political life. Although a busy man of affairs, Mr. Miller enjoys social life and belongs to the Milwaukee county and town clubs of the city.

On Sept. 28, 1887, he was united in marriage to Miss Laura A. Chapman, daughter of t. A. and Laura (Bowker) Chapman, of Milwaukee, and two children, Laura Isabelle and Alice Chapman, have been born to them.



Earl Minley, 51, the man who dreamed of bringing the National Bikers Roundup to Wisconsin. The event, which attracts many African-American motorcyclists, brought more than 15,000 bikers to Washington County Fair Park in August. Known as "Oak Tree" or "Gold Wing Man," Minley died of a heart attack Sept. 9.



The editor of this narrative remarks in a note, as follows: It will be noticed that nowhere does the narrator mention Jean Baptiste Mirandeau, who is reported in all existing histories of Milwaukee to have been in Jacques Vieau's company. In answer to later questions relative to his recollections of Mirandeau. I have letters from A. J. Vieau. dated October 27 and 29, 1887, in which he says in substance: 'I never heard my father say that Jean B, Mirandeau went to Milwaukee in his company. I never heard him say what time Mirandeau arrived there. I am of the opinion that Mirandeau came after my father, but not long after, he was never in any sort of partnership with my father. I have heard my father and mother and older brothers all say that Mirandeau carried on blacksmithing and did father's work whenever engaged to do it, like any other mechanic he was, from my father's account of him, a very good man but had one bad fault—he drank whisky, and that was the cause of his death.

Mirandeau married a Pottawatomie squaw with whom he lived till his death in the spring; of 1819. After his death she and her children went to live among the Pottawatomies again, except Victoria, who was raised by the Kinzies in Chicago, and in 1822 she married a Canadian named Joseph Porthier.

Mrs. Porthier is still living (1887) in the town of Lake near Milwaukee. I think nearly all Mirandeau's sons and daughters married Indians.  Louis was alive fifteen years ago near Grand Rapids, Wisconsin. Several of the others went with the Pottawatomies to Kansas in 1837.

Mirandeau was buried on the slope of the hill on what is now the northeast corner of Main and Michigan streets. When in 1837 or 1838, Michigan Street was being graded Solomon Juneau told the workmen to take care of Mirandeau's bones, their resting place being marked by a wooden cross, I was standing near the grave with others when the blacksmith's skull came tumbling down the bank. The greater part of the hair was still attached to the skull, and some one remarked that the reason for this was that Mirandeau had drunk so much poor whisky that he had become sort of pickled. I do not know how much truth there was in the remark. The rest of the bones came down almost immediately after, and all the remains were picked up by Juneau's orders, put in a box and placed in the regular cemetery.  

Source: History of Milwaukee, City and County: City and County v. 1; William George Bruce, Published by S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1922.

Source: History of Chicago, Volume 1; Arno Press, 1884. By Alfred Theodore Andreas page 104-106

Jean Baptiste Mirandeau, the father of Mrs. Porthier. was an educated French gentleman belonging to one of the first families of (Quebec. He studied for the prieshood, but on the eve of taking orders abandoned his intention, and about the close of the Revolutionary War left Quebec with John Vieux for the northwest. He became an employe of the American Fur Company, and traded some years in the Lake Superior region and afterward on the Wabash. He came to Milwaukee about the year 1795. bringing with him his Indian wife whom he had recently married, and to whom he was faithful until his death, which occurred in 1820. He built a house in Milwaukee and around it had a well cultivated garden. "He was a religious man, and had prayers in his house every evening. His library was quite large, and he spent all his leisure time in reading. He was a tall fine looking man, with crisp curly hair. He was a great favorite of his wild neighbors, who promised him all the land between the river and the lake as far as the North Point, when they made the treaty for the sale of their lands, but he died before that treaty, and Mr. (Solomon) Juneau succeeded him as the chief white man in Milwaukee. His widow survived him until 1838, and was well known to many of the early settlers of Milwaukee. Mr. Mirandeau was the first white man who ever moved here, spent his married life here, died and was buried here (Milwaukee).

The children of Mr. Mirandeau were ten. Jean Baptiste 1st, was poisoned when a child, at the mouth of Rock River. Madaline 1st, was accidentally drowned in the Milwaukee River. Madaline 2d came to Chicago, for a time lived in the family of Lalime, the Indian Interpreter, and afterwards became the wife of John K. Clark, and died leaving a daughter who still lives at Milwaukee. The fourth child was Joseph; the fifth, Victoire (Mrs. Joseph Porthier). Then came Louis, Jean Baptiste 2d, Rosanne, Genevieve and Thomas. Jean Baptiste and Genevieve were servants in John Kinzie's and Dr. Wolcott's families, and Thomas the youngest was the "Tomah" of "Waubun." Nearly all of the younger children died in Kansas. After the death of Mr. Mirandeau, his widow, left with no relatives or friends except among the Indians, took up her abode among them, and the papers and books of her husband were lost or destroyed. Mr. Mirandeau was an intimate friend of John Kinzie, and probably placed his children in his family that that they might escape, as far as possible, the influence of the Indians.

See also article on Joseph PORTHIER



Personal Information
Place of Birth - Milwaukee Wisconsin 
Age - 23
Complexion - Negro
Occupation - Painter
Height - 5'5"
Naval Service
Place of Enlistment - New York 
Date of Enlistment - November 24, 1862
Term of Enlistment - 1
Rating - Landsman

Detailed Muster Records
Date   Vessel 
January 17, 1863      Lackawanna 
April 1, 1863      Lackawanna 
July 1, 1863      Lackawanna 
October 1, 1863      Lackawanna 
January 1, 1864      Lackawanna 
April 1, 1864      Lackawanna
Source: Howard University Research Project
African American Sailors in the Union Navy


Capt. James Moody was born in the City of Buffalo, N.Y., in 1818. He was apprenticed to a captain on Lake Erie when only 9 years of age. In 1840 he was made the mate of the schooner NORTH CAROLINA, on which he served but a short time, when he engaged with Capt. Hart, of the steamer CLEVELAND, as fireman. He was on the CLEVELAND two seasons, when he changed to the steamer WAYNE, where he served to seasons as wheelsman. The next season he engaged as mate of the propeller PRINCETON under Capt. Pratt. After leaving her he engaged as wheelsman and carpenter of the steamer ST. LOUIS, and remained on her two season, the second season as mate. In the Spring of 1855, he sailed as mate of the QUEEN OF THE LAKES and move to Milwaukee, the same year. The following season he engaged as captain of the Tug G.W. TIFT which he commanded two seasons. He then opened a restaurant which he kept till 1861, when he bought the tug CLEVELAND, and sailed her till 1862, when she was taken by the United States Government at Chicago, to the Mississippi and used as a dispatch boat. In 1864, in company with Amos Branich, he purchased the G.W. Richards. Running this boat one season, he sold his interest in her, and went to Buffalo, where with Capt. James Porter, he bought the tug AMERICAN EAGLE used her two season at Manistee, Mich, sold out at the expiration of that time, and returned to Milwaukee and engaged in the restaurant business again. In August 1878 he engaged with Wolf & Davidson, as engineer at their shipyards; has held that position nearly three years. Residence 907 Fifth avenue.




H. Mooers & Co.steam heating and ventilating contractors, Nos. 442 and 444 East Water street. The business was established in 1865, by Mr. Mooers. He was first located at the Reliance Works, with which establishment he has since been connected, more or less. He has been in his present location about six years. During the time he has been in business here, he has sold about 700 Gold's Patent Safety Boilers, together with many thousands of cast-iron radiators, also of Gold's patent. The introduction of low-pressure steam for heating and ventilating purposes has rapidly increased in public favor, until it is now understood to be the most desirable, on account of health, comfort and economy.

pg. 1311 History of Milwaukee 1881



Captain J.E. Moony, for the past four years master of the steamer Arcadia, owned by the Starke Land & Lumber Co., of Arcadia, Mich., has been sailing on the Great Lakes since he was a lad of twelve yars, and has an enviable reputation as a reliable and courageous man among the Lake Michigan navigators. Captain Moony was born in 1854 in Cape Benson, Jefferson Co., N.Y., and his father, John Moony, was one of the early settlers of Sacket's Harbor, that county, having come to this country from his birthplace, County Wexford, Ireland, when very young. He, too, was a sailor, and was engaged as pilot on the mail boats from Kingston to Montreal, a fact which in itself is evidence of his competency, for only the best pilots are employed on that class of boats. He was drowned in 1860, in the Maclure Rapids, while following his calling.

J.E. Moony lived at Cape Benson until he was sixteen years of age, receiving the limited advantages for education afforded by the public schools of the place, which he has supplemented by reading and home study. When twelve years old he commenced sailing, shipping out of Clayton, N.Y., on the class of boats known as timber drovers, plying to Cleveland, Toledo, Bay City and other points. At this time horses were carried to load the vessels, and commencing as "horse boy" he followed this line for twelve years, after the first five years coming west and spending his winters in Milwaukee, Wis., where he was on the Gen. Burnsides for three years as second mate, this boat being one of the faster crafts plying between Clayton and points on Lakes Erie and Huron, and after leaving her he shipped before the mast on the David Vance, a barkentine, out of Milwaukee, on which he also remained three years, the second season becoming second mate. Captain Moony now commenced on his own account, buying the schooner C.L. Davis, built in Cheboygan, which he commanded in person, and ran her for two years between White Lakes and Milwaukee.

His next boat was the schooner Len Higby, which he ran two years as master, principally on Lake Michigan, and from her he went on to the steambarge Rumbell, which was built in Portage, Mich., and which was used in the lumber trade. After this he was on the Patty, plying between White Lake and Chicago and occasionally running to Muskegon, but she was sold and the following spring he accepted the berth of captain on the steamer J.C. Markham, on which he served in that capacity for four years, the two succeeding years going as master of the Allmedinger, owned by E.B. Simpson, of Milwaukee. Since that time he has commanded the steamer Arcadia, which is owned by the Starke Land and Lumber Co., of Arcadia, Mich., and used only in their interests in the lumber trade, going to all points on Lake Michigan. Captain Moony is a member of the Ship Masters Association, No. 6, of Milwaukee, and carries Pennant No. 946. He has been unusually fortunate and successful in the management of his boats, but it is certain that his ability and thorough knowledge of his business have had as much to do with this as "good luck," and he is considered trustworthy and competent by all who have employed him.

Captain Moony was united in marriage with Miss Louisa Alt, of Milwaukee, Wis., and their union has been blessed with two children: John L. and Mary E. Fraternally he unites with the Knights of the Maccabees.

Source: Unknown



Mary Moore, 99, better known as "Grandma Moore" to children and staff members at St. Aemilian-Lakeside. Moore began volunteering as a foster grandparent in 1971, later spending more than two decades helping youngsters in residential treatment at St. Aemilian's. Moore died of natural causes Dec. 6.



Marvin Moran, 80, who long sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" for the old Milwaukee Braves games. Moran even got his own locker at the ballpark, just the place to keep his tuxedo for evening games. The tenor was heard by millions via radio for the 1955 All-Star Game, and he also performed regularly with the Malone Sisters. After years of post-polio symptoms, he died March 1.



Candidate for City of Wauwatosa
E.B. Morley, Republican candidate for justice of the peace, was elected to this office in 1898 to fill a vacancy and judged numerous cases fairly and impartially. He has been a resident of Wauwatosa for some time and before the he lived in Rhinelander, Wis. He also conducts a real estate, loan and insurance business.

Source: Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899



(By William George Bruce.)

Through the propinquity of modern urban life the influences of our associates become a forceful factor in coursing our careers. To a very large degree our welfare is dependent upon the virtuous or vicious character of these influences; upon the noble or ignoble character of our associates. Influence is the medium through which personalities affect one another. It is the force which character possesses and exerts. We fill our lives with the desire to get and to give influence. The propagation of desirable influences is the culmination of a pleasing personality. Pathetic, indeed, is the career of him who is unable to bestow these creative influences for good and is so devoid of friendships as not to receive them.

Possessing those traits of character which make a personal appeal and allied in the common purpose of promoting civic welfare (he as president and I as secretary of the Merchants & Manufacturers Association of Milwaukee) the influences which first brought me into business relationship with the subject of this biography resulted in such close and continuous contact with Mr. Moss as to form a friendship as valuable as it has been pleasing. It was he who brought into prominent place the ethics of industrialism as a proper phase of associated commercial activity. Men ally themselves in organizations that they may share in one another's aims, desires, visions and labors and they are in harmonious accord when they work in unity for a common interest. An organization owes its strength and stability not so much to its formal creation as to the confidence and cooperation of men who share in the beliefs and ideals of its aims, in a conviction of its usefulness, its essentialness and its destiny. These were the issues emphasized in Mr. Moss' labors as leader of Milwaukee's commercial organization and they gave to it a strength and cohesiveness which built for laudable purposes. The birth of my friendship for the character portrayed in this sketch was through the instrumentality of our mutual endeavors for civic, social and industrial betterment as actuated by the activities of the Merchants & Manufacturers Association, the aims and purposes cf which appealed to both of us. As pleasant as was the birth of this friendship, so pleasant has been its uninterrupted continuance during the past twenty years and it has arown in depth and strength as it has grown in years. It thus becomes a pleasing privilege to here record something of the career and activities of John H. Moss and to acknowledge the power for advancement he has been in this community.

It is not an easy task to describe with any degree of exactness the exceptional character combinations of Mr. Moss and the unique place he fills in the life of the community. The writer, who has known him intimately for many years, would say that he is at once a captain of industry and a scholarly gentleman. But that does not complete the description. While he possesses a grasp of the intricacies of factory production he manifests also a remarkabie power and skill in literary production.

We have here a business man with a magnificent hobby or, if you will, a professional man with a penchant for business. While his vocation is readily told in the one word, manufacturer, it would be difficult to describe in one word with equal aptness his inclinations unless we employ the word, education.

As an orator he excels. In fact, among his contemporaries he has no rival. In beauty of imagination, in a mastery of English diction, and in fluency and eloquence of expression he is a peer. He not only manages to hold his audiences spell-bound in a discussion of serious problems but also entertains them with his rare wit and delightful humor. The writer, who has listened to him on numberless occasions, has never seen him fail in winning his audiences by humorous stories and shafts of wit and then sway them by the power of his logic and the mastery of his oratory. He is constantly in great demand by civic, social and commercial organizations throughout the northwest as a speaker on topics dealing with the ethics and philosophy of life.

Mr. Moss is of English descent. His paternal grandfather, Robert Moss, born in England in 1802, was a Methodist minister at Reading, Berkshire, England. His paternal grandmother, Hannah Griffin, was also of English extraction. The couple had two children, Charles H. Moss and a daughter who died in infancy, and two adopted children, Elizabeth Meakes and Thomas Salt. They came to the United States in 1855. Robert Moss died at Waukesha in the year 1886, at the age of eighty-four. The paternal grandmother, Hannah Griffin Moss, died in 1869 at Little Pinery, near Plainfleld, Wisconsin.

The father of John H. Moss was born in Reading, Berkshire, England, December 13, 1828, received his early education in his native city and his business training in London. He preceded his parents in coming to the United States, arriving in New York during September, 1848. Soon after he located at Athens, Pennsylvania, and later established himself at Buffalo. From there he removed to St. Charles, Illinois, remaining there three years, and on January 21, 1857, he went to Chicago and soon after to Stevens Point, Wisconsin, where he became interested in the lumber business.

Charles H. Moss arrived in Milwaukee on January 3, 1860, becoming connected with a saw and planing mill, assuming soon after the foremanship of a basket factory operated by Judd & Hiles, at the corner of Reed and South Water streets. The establishment was removed in 1866 to the corner of West Water and Clybourn streets and was known as the Cream City Sash, Door, Blind, Box and Patent Basket Manufacturers, but was destroyed by fire five years later. Mr. Judd then engaged in the lumber business and Mr. Hiles went into the manufacture of sash, doors and blinds. Here was the inception of the company of which John H. Moss is now in charge—the Rockwell Manufacturing Company. The plant was located at the corner of Park street and Sixth avenue and after admitting Charles H. Moss and Henry H. Rockwell as partners in 1872, was conducted under the name of John Hiles & Company. When Mr. Hiles lost his life on the Steamer Ironsides a reorganization of the business was effected whereby Caspar M. Sanger, Charles H. Moss and Henry H. Rockwell became partners under the name of Sanger, Rockwell & Company, in the year 1874.

In 1893 Mr. Sanger retired and the present corporation, the Rockwell Manufacturing Company was formed with Henry H. Rockwell as president, Charles H. Moss as vice president, Fred W. Rockwell as treasurer, George Donald as secretary and Charles A. Radcliffe as superintendent. Mr. Donald and Mr. Radcliffe withdrew in 1897 and Henry H. Rockwell died March 7, 1901. Charles H. Moss then became the president and continued in that position until his death in 1903. From the time of his arrival in Milwaukee he remained here, with the exception of four years spent in Waukesha and thirteen years in California.

In 1856 Charles H. Moss was married to Miss Elizabeth Barton. They had two children: Charles H. Moss, Jr., born at Stevens Point, Wisconsin, January 21, 1858, and a daughter who died soon after birth in 1860, at which time the mother also died. On October 16, 1869, at Milwaukee, Mr. Moss married Cordelia Angenette ChurchillAllard, widow of William AUard. This marriage was blessed with four children: John H. Moss, born March 7, 1871; Marshall ? Moss, born April 15, 1872; Antoinette Moss, born February 2, 1878, and a daughter born December 20, 1876, who died a few months later and was buried at Waukesha. Bion Adelbert Allard, the son of Mr. Moss' second wife, was adopted by Mr. Moss on March 8, 1880.

Charles H. Moss died April 16th, 1903, at Los Gatos, California, at the age of seventy-four. In the early '80s he had gone to Hot Springs, Arkansas, for his health. One night, watching a large hotel fire he contracted a severe cold which developed into rheumatism, from which he never recovered. He visited the Hot Springs in New Mexico and Carlsbad, Germany, in search of health. His remains are buried at the Forest Home cemetery in Milwaukee.

Mr. Moss' mother was descended from old New England stock. Tracing Mr. Moss' maternal ancestry back to 1814 his maternal grandfather, Daniel Churchill, son of Zenos and Almira Castle Churchill, was born on October 22 of that year in Caledonia county, New York. He married Antoinette Joslyn in 1837, and died near Sycamore, De Kalb county, Illinois, in 1845.

Antoinette Joslyn, born March 16, 1821, married Daniel Churchill in 1837. This marriage resulted in the birth of two children; Orphanie Louisa Churchill, who died when two and one-half years old, three weeks after her father passed away; and Cordelia Angenette Churchill. After the death of her husband, Daniel, in 1845, the widow married Joseph Chesebro on April 8, 1847. Their children, in the order of their ages, were Orphanie, Lorinda and Lorenzo. Antoinette Joslyn Churchill-Chesebro died in Cortland, De Kalb county, Illinois, in 1905. Joseph Chesebro died in Wellman, Iowa, and was buried near Cortland, Illinois, on February 28, 1907, beside his wife.

Cordelia Angenette Churchill was born August 19, 1840, in De Kalb county, Illinois. She was descended from old New England stock. Her maternal grandfather was Phineas Joslyn. whose birth was about 1794, probably in the state of New York. Her maternal grandmother was Lorinda Woodruff-Joslyn who was probably born in Vermont about the year 1797. Her paternal grandfather was Zenos Churchill, who was born March 12, 1784, probably in New York state and died about 1874 when over ninety years of age. Her paternal grandmother was Almira Castle, who was about four years younger than her husband and who was also probably born in the state of New York.

The marriage of Zenos Churchill and Almira Castle resulted in the birth of eight children who, in the order of their birth, were: David, Daniel (father of Cordelia Angenette Churchill), Ann, Castle, Sally, Almira, Zenos and Enos.

Cordelia Angenette Churchill married William Allard on Monday December 18, 1855, in Pampas township, De Kalb county, Illinois. One child was born of this marriage on March 12, 1861, named Bion Adelbert Allard, in De Kalb county, Illinois. William Allard was wounded by a rebel sharpshooter while engaged in the construction of breastworks near Dallas, Texas, and died on April 22, 1864, at that place. As hereinbefore noted Cordelia Allard was united in marriage to Charles H. Moss in 1869, at Milwaukee. Since the death of her husband in 1903 Cordelia A. Moss has resided at San Jose, California. John Hiles Moss, the principal subject of this sketch, received his early training in the public schools of Milwaukee and at Carroll College, Waukesha. After graduating from the East Side high school in 1889 he entered the University of Wisconsin, taking the civic historic course, and later the law course, and was given the degree of B. B. L. in June, 1893. He also took a postgraduate course under Prof. Richard T. Ely in banking and economics.

While in the university he took an active interest in the Athenae Debating Society and for two successive years delivered its annual toast. Interesting himself in newspaper work he became one of the editors of the University Badger, the annual publication of the Junior class. He also reported for the Madison State Journal, the Milwaukee, Chicago and New York papers and was local dramatic critic for the New York Dramatic Mirror. Much of his writings appeared in Judge, Puck, Truth and Vogue during the early '90s.

Having been associated with a cadet military company and the Light Horse Squadron Trumpet Corps while in Milwaukee, Mr. Moss became adjutant of the University Battalion, Colonel H. J. McGrath sending his name to the United States war department at Washington, D. C., which, in case of enlistment, would entitle him to the rank of lieutenant.

Upon leaving the university Mr. Moss spent six months in traveling through the western states and in June, 1894, commenced the practice of law in Milwaukee. This was continued until March, 1901, when, upon the death of his father's business associate, Henry H.' Rockwell, he connected himself with the Rockwell Manufacturing Company. He became treasurer of the corporation in 1901, was elected vice president in 1904 and superintendent in 1911, which three offices he has since continuously held.

On September 8, 1897, at Milwaukee, he married Grace Horton King. They had one child, Walter King Moss, born October 22, 1898. Walter's education was obtained at the public schools of Milwaukee, Carroll College at Waukesha, and the University of Wisconsin. He is now publicity manager for The City Bank of Milwaukee. Grace Horton King Moss died at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Interested in civic affairs, he served on the public affairs and legislative committees of the Merchants and Manufacturers Association of Milwaukee; later was elected a member of its board of directors, served two years as its vice president, and in 1908 was elected president of the Association. Mr. Moss was actively interested in the organization of the Milwaukee Aero Club in the winter of 1907-8; served on its first board of directors, and was its first president. Several successful flights were made with Major Henry B. Hersey as pilot.

Mr. Moss is a member of the Milwaukee Club, Milwaukee Athletic Club, Milwaukee Press Club, Milwaukee Bar Association, Kiwanis Club, Psi Upsilon Greek Letter College Fraternity, Phi Delta Phi, a law school fraternity, and is a thirty-second degree Mason. He is a director and vice president of The City Bank and is a regent of Marquette University. During 1920 he was district trustee of the Kiwanis Club for the Wisconsin-Upper Michigan District and in January, 1921, was elected governor of that organization for the same district.

Mr. Moss received the Symbolic degrees of Free Masonry in Excelsior Lodge No. 175, as follows: Entered apprentice, March 8, 1899, Fellowcraft March 29, and master Mason, April 26. He at once petitioned for the degrees in Wisconsin Chapter No. 7 and on June 5, 1899, was made a Mark Master. He received the past and most excellent on June 12 and was exalted to the Royal Arch on June 19 of that year. In Templar Masonry Mr. Moss received the Illustrious Order of the Red Cross on August 15, 1899, and the order of the Temple and of Malta on August 22, in Wisconsin Commandery No. 1. In the fall of the same year he received all of the grades in the Scottish Rite bodies from the fourth to the thirty-second, inclusive, and was made a Noble of Tripoli Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S. Mr. Moss is also a member of Kilbourn Council No. 9. Mr. Moss served the Commandery in most of its offices and was eminent commander in 1906. During the same year he was high priest in Wisconsin Council Princes of Jerusalem, and deputy grand master and M. E. and P. K. Junior warden in Wisconsin Chapter of Rose Croix. For several years he has presided over the thirtyfirst degree of Wisconsin Consistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite. Mr. Moss occupied all of the appointive and elective offices in Tripoli Temple and presided over that body as Illustrious Potentate in 1906.

During the late World war Mr. Moss was engaged in the activities of the several drives, made many patriotic speeches throughout the state and was prominent as one of the Four-Minute men, the talks delivered in the last named work having been published in book form, a copy of which was requested for the State Historical Library. Mrs. Moss devoted her time during the war period to Red Cross work and as a member of the Motor Corps.

Thus we find in the history of Mr. Moss the education and training which developed a combination of talents fitting him for a variety of activities. Successful at first as a practicing attorney and later as the executive of a large manufacturing industry he also found opportunity to devote considerable time to civic affairs and altruistic efforts. In each line of activity he has evidenced a comprehensive view of fundamental essentials which has made him a leader in all he has undertaken. In the constructive upbuilding of civic and social thought the community owes Mr. Moss a debt not easily discharged.

Source: History of Milwaukee, city and county, Volume 3 (Google eBook). Josiah Seymour Currey; S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1922, page 84.



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Marshall C. Moss, of 230 Twenty-sixth street, Milwaukee, president and superintendent of the Rockwell Manufacturing Co., was born at Milwaukee on April 15, 1872, the son of Charles H. and Cordelia A. Moss, the former a native of Reading, England, where he was born on Dec. 13, 1828, and the latter a native of De Kalb county, Ill. Charles H. came to the United States in 1848, before he had attained his majority. He first settled in Milwaukee in 1860, and there became foreman for the firm of Judd & Hiles, at West Water and Sycamore streets. In 1871 the factory of Judd & Hiles burned, and C. A. Hiles assumed the ownership and moved the establishment to the corner of Sixth avenue and Park street. In 1872 the partnership of Sanger, Rockwell & Co. was formed, composed of Mr. Moss, Casper M. Sanger, and H. H. Rockwell. In 1893 the co-partnership was reorganized as a corporation and its name changed to The Rockwell Manufacturing Co., with Mr. Rockwell as president and Mr. Moss as vice-president. In 1901 Mr. Rockwell died and Mr. Moss became president of the company, in which capacity he served up to the time of his death in California, April 16, 1903. He was one of the brainiest and shrewdest business men in the city, and was closely identified in many ways with the material up-building of the city. His marriage to Miss Cordelia Churchill took place in 1870. His remains were brought back from California to Milwaukee for burial, and now rest in Forest Home cemetery.

After the death of Mr. Moss, until March, 1904, the office of president of the company remained vacant, and at that time his son, Marshall C. Moss, the subject of this sketch, was elected to fill the office, and also continued to act in the capacity of superintendent of the plant. Marshall C. graduated from the ward and high schools of the city, and later attended the University of Wisconsin, where he graduated in the Law Department with the class of 1894. Mr. Moss was exceedingly popular as a student, and was regarded as one of the brightest men in his class. He is a member of the well known Greek letter college fraternity of Psi Upsilon, and also of the law fraternity of Delta Phi. He took a lively interest as a student in the work of the University Battalion, of which he attained to the rank of Adjutant. His interest in military matters has since continued, and he was a member of the Bugle Corps of the Milwaukee Light Horse Squadron, Milwaukee's crack cavalry organization.

Upon the completion of his college course Mr. Moss returned to Milwaukee, but never entered upon the active practice of the law. In January, 1895, he entered the employ of the Rockwell Manufacturing Co.; became secretary of the company on Nov. 28, 1896; was made superintendent on May 14, 1901, and has been president and superintendent since March 31, 1904. The Rockwell Manufacturing Co. has developed into one of the important industries of its kind in the United States, employing about 500 men, and it turns out annually an enormous product, consuming a million feet of lumber per month ; it manufactures doors, sash, blinds, hardwood finishings, wood mantels, lumber, lath, shingles, etc. Under the able and skillful management of Mr. Moss, the company is today in a highly prosperous condition, and ranks as one of the most successful industries in the city. Mr. Moss has been a life-long Republican in politics, but has never sought public preferment on his own behalf.

He was most happily married in November, 1897, to Miss Kathryn E. Mathewson, a graduate of the University of Wisconsin, and the daughter of Edward W. Mathewson, of Menasha, Wis. Mr. and Mrs. Moss are the parents of one charming daughter, Jane Winifred, born on Dec. 4, 1898. Mr. Moss is a man of courteous and affable personality, is exceedingly popular in both the business and social life of the city, and possesses a host of warm friends. He is a credit to the city with which he has been identified from the time of his birth, and is a splendid type of the modern, clean, able and progressive young business men. In addition to the college fraternities previously mentioned, he is a member of the Ivanhoe Commandery, Knights Templar, and also of the Milwaukee Athletic Club.



FREDERICK W. MUELLER, funeral director and embalmer 2427 Vliet Street, is a native of Prussia, son of Ernest and Caroline (Schumacher) Mueller, who were born in the province of Pommern, Prussia, and came to America in 1867. They started west soon after landing in the United States and chose Watertown, Wis., as their home. There Ernest Mueller was for many years employed as a carpenter, and there he died surrounded by his children. The latter were seven in number, of whom six are living: Augusta, wife of Charles Klann; Henry’ Frederick W.; Martha, who married Henry Meyer; Mary, who is Mrs. John Dobbratz; and Julius.

Frederick W. was born in Pommern, Nov. 26, 1852 and came to Watertown with his parents when he was fifteen years of age. He became a carpenter’s apprentice in Watertown and Milwaukee, and after completing his term of apprenticeship was employed as a journeyman in Milwaukee until 1888 engaged in this business. He has obtained many patrons and is known among them as a careful and reliable man. The success which has attended him in the practice of his chosen calling has been merited by the application of scientific methods and the use of a modern and complete equipment.

In 1878, Mr. Mueller was married to Miss Elvina Dobbratz, daughter of John Dobbratz, of Watertown. Eight children blessed the marriage, of whom the following are living: Renatha, wife of Dr. Rudolph Herman; Leona, Erma, and Earl. Mr. Mueller and his family are regular attendants at the Bethlehem Lutheran Church, of which Mr. Mueller was a trustee for many years. He belongs to the Old Settlers’ Club, in whose proceedings he takes and active interest. In Political sympathies Mr. Mueller is a Republican, although he has never aspired to office nor been particularly active in political campaigns, his time having been fully occupied in business matters.

Milwaukee County Biographies Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vol. I & II by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 Pg 469



How Thomas Murphy and Ed. Westby Came Ashore – Thirteen in a Boat.

Random Lake, Sept. 3 – I was watchman on the Lady Elgin at the time of the wreck, and was standing on the fo’castle deck. The second mate was on the promenade deck, and he told me to call the hands, that there was a heavy store coming up. I ran aft on the port side and was right on the midship gangway. There was one of the foreman on the gangway and he said there was a light coming right into us. I ran and looked. It was so close we had to run to save ourselves. I ran across the quarter deck to the trim barrels, and I wa sonly there when we were struck by a large ship. She came adrift and struck us in the port gangway, making a large hole. She broke her jibboom and drifted off. The captain and mates rushed down the cabin stairway and told the hands to take the after hatch off. We jerked it off and we found she was taking water fast.

I rushed and stood at my post on the quarter-deck, forward of the ladies’ cabin. The captain aksed me if I knew where the hands were. I told him I did not know. He told me to get them and shove the cattle overboard.

Iran to the starboard side of the engine. The lights were all out forward. It struck me that she was sinking. I ran back to the quarter-deck, and there was a crowd of passengers in a great uproar. She listed over starboard, and took water so fast the passengers could not keep their feet. I kept mine and rushed on her port quarters to her stern. There was a small hatch on the promenade deck. I jumped up through it aft of the paddle box, where a lifeboat was slung. It was gone. I heard them call to “come in with the boat, come in with the boat.” I looked over the railing and saw the boat. I jumped on the railing, and took hold of the boat’s crane and yelled “look out” and jumped down in the boat. I fell across one of the seats and was knocked useless. The boat having dipped water, I came to quick, and asked them if the plug was in the boat. The second porter knew my voice and cried out “Is that you, Tom?”

My Rice, the steward, told me to look and see if the plug was in, for I knew where it was. So I looked and saw the plug was in. We got adrift down by the port quarters of the steamer, and they were singing out to come in with the boat. We had light enough to see they had oars, and we told them to throw the oars, but they would not do it. We had only one oar. We wend adrift by the stern. When we went adrift we put our boat about ahead of the sea. We could see the lights of the Elgin and hear her bell ringing. We were only a short distance when her lights went out, and her bell stopped ringing. I was hurt in the back from my jump. I asked if there was anyone in the boat who understood how to manager her. I asked Capt. Connors if he would not take the oar; he refused to do so. I went back to the stern and took the oar with Edward Westby, who was doing his best. Our oar in the sea would jump the lock and would not steer. Ed. Westby took off his suspenders, and I tied the oar down, so we steered along. I noticed our boat had too much water. The passengers took their shoes off and kept bailing the water out. There came a calm and the passengers began to ask where they were going and I told them if the wind would not change, we were going straight for Chicago. When it began to grow lighter, we saw on the starboard side something that looked like land. In a little while I was sure it was. As it was too dark to make it, I steered the boat out every change between seas. When we had light enough we saw a great slough with the brush growing down to the edge of the water. I said to Westby there would be a good place to land. When we thought we could fetch it we steered her to it. There was a larger breaker rolling behind us, and Westby said: “Tome, this is going to sink us.” Our passengers got unmanageable, and I yelled to them to be still, and we would land them safe. The breaker looked broken at our stern, and the current of it drove us to shore before they had time to notice. They all jumped out and away. As I was getting up a breaker struck her, and knocked me down. I jumped up again and out of the boat, and the yellow clay that was washed down the bank mired me, and I yelled to Westby and asked him if he was going to leave me and he said no, and ran back and pulled me out. There were thirteen of us in the boat. Thomas Murphy.

Source: Milwaukee Sentinel Sept 4, 1892



He was only 14 years old and had a rough time of it.

I was only about 14 years old when the Lady Elgin went down and up to the moment when the boat went down I know very little of the accident. Of course I know that we were run into by the schooner Augusta. But I do not remember anything about it. I had been tramping around in Chicago all day and was tired out, so I went back to the boat early in evening and went to sleep. The staterooms were all taken and I lay down in the cabin. The first thing I remember was when someone woke me and I heard the captain say that the boat was sinking and that it was everyone for himself. I got hold of a chair and using the leg for a lever wrenched off one of the stateroom doors so that I could use it for a raft. Then I took off all my clothes except my pants and rolling them up in a bundle hid them in one of the staterooms. I did that because I thought if the boat didn’t sink but managed to get to shore, I would have them all right. When I came out of the stateroom I saw a woman going off with the door that I had fixed for myself. The captain called for help in cutting the cabin loose from the deck and so I took the chair again and was wrenching off another door. While I was doing that the boat sank.

I don’t know how I got out of the cabin. I suppose I came up through the skylight. But the first thing I knew was when I found myself on the hurricane deck. The deck not broken up then and it was covered with people. It was raining and blowing hard and as I had nothing on but my pants I was half frozen. I looked around and found where a piece of carpet was nailed down to the deck. I tore it up on one side and got under. When I got a little warm I thought I would see if I could find someone I knew. So taking advantage of the flashes of lightning I walked around the deck. The people seemed crazy and were shrieking and crying and praying. I soon met Martin Delaney, a policeman who lived in the Third ward and whom I knew. I talked with him and he told me if I got ashore to tell his brothers to take care of his three little children. His wife was dead. Poor Delaney. He was drowned with the rest and when I got back to this city I delivered my message.

In walking around the deck I got pretty cold because I was almost naked and so every little while I would go back to the piece of carpet I had found and crawl under it and get warm. On going back at one time I found a colored fellow under it and made him get out. I will never forget how he squealed. He belonged on the boat and was one of the cabin boys, I guess. I was on the part of the deck that the captain was on and in the morning he said to raise all the sail that we could. So we raised boards and doors and coats. He was a plucky fellow, that Capt. Wilson. After we had raised the sails he made us give three cheers for the land. Raising the sails made the deck break up and a great many were drowned. I saw lots of people fall into the water, but I did not know many of them. One man I saw drown was John Ryan, a blacksmith who lived on Huron Street. Another one I saw drown was Mrs. Duffy. Her father came ashore later on. I saw a piece of deck going ashore faster than the one I was on, and I jumped into the water and tried to swim to it. But I could not do it, and had to wait and get on to the old raft. When the deck broke up there must have been a dozen people on the piece I was on, but with the exception of old Mr. Duffy and myself all of them drowned. Mr. Duffy was an old man, and lived on the south side. He told me that he could not swim and that made the fact that he was saved all the more remarkable.

We got ashore some time between 10 and 10:30 o’clock. It was near Winnetka but we did not strike the shore at the big bluff. We landed on a sand beach some distance away where there were lots of people to pull us up. I let some of the men pull Mr. Duffy from the water and take him out of the reach of the waves. But I did not want anyone to touch me. I was almost naked and my back was badly cut where I had scraped against the skylight in being thrown from the cabin when the boat went down. I was sore and stiff, but I managed to get ashore along and went up a small ravine. I found my way to a farm home where a German family lived. There were a lot of priests and doctors from Chicago there. The doctors had a big jug of whisky and they gave me a cup full. Then they examined me and said I was all right with the exception of the cuts on my back. They put some salve on those and then gave me a cup of coffee and half a slice of bread. That was all I had for breakfast and dinner. In fact it was all I had had to eat since the noon the day before when I was in Chicago. They would not give me anything more because they said it would make me sick.

But I was so hungry that I did not care whether I was sick or not provided I could get something to eat. In a little while I saw a girl go into the house with a big pan of apples. I asked her for one but she said that she did not dare give it to me as the doctors had told her that she must not. I begged so hard that at last she set the apples down near the door and went into the house. Then I took two of them and went out back of the house to eat them. I don’t think I ever had anything that tasted so good because I was almost starved.

The farmer’s wife gave me a shirt and an old straw hat and I got along with those until the relief train arrived from Milwaukee in the evening. Then I met James Madden, a friend of mine who lived on the south side. He gave me a pair of stockings and I got hold of an old coat. We all came back on the relief train and got to this city about midnight.

Source: Milwaukee Sentinel Sept 4, 1892

Home Page | What's New Blog! | Deaths and Obituaries | Births and Marriages | Censuses and Directories | Business and Government | Marine and Shipbuilding | Military | Church and School | Charities and Organizations | Towns and Land Ownership | Immigration | Disasters and Mishaps | Contributors | Lookups | Photo Gallery

Disclaimer | Privacy Statement

PLEASE NOTE: I am not affiliated with any of the cemeteries or organizations listed on these pages. I am happy to answer general questions, but would not have more specific information other than what you see listed without doing additional research. If you need help with your research, please see the lookup page for a list of volunteers and paid services that can help.

This genealogy website maintained by Ellen M. Rohr
Brookfield, WI
Contact Me-

© 2012 Links To The Past

Please also visit the WIGenWeb State Website or Wisconsin County Pages