Biographies and Family Information

Includes Marriages, Births, Confirmations, Baptisms

To facilitate your search the surnames have been cross indexed.
[ A ] [ B ] [ Be ] [ Bi ]
[ Bo ] [ Br ] [ Bu ] [ C ]
[ D ] [ E ] [ F ] [ G ]
[ H ] [ I ] [ J ] [ K ]
[ L ] [ M ] [ N ] [ O ]
[ P ] [ Q ] [ R ] [ S ]
[ T ] [ U ] [ V ] [ W ]
[ Y ] [ Z ] - -


Joan L. Sagan, 53, whose personal battle with ovarian cancer drove her to create the Wisconsin Ovarian Cancer Alliance. Sagan, an oncology nurse, was earlier involved in organizing the Komen Foundation's Milwaukee Race for the Cure to benefit breast cancer awareness and research. Sagan died May 1.



Lake Captain, No. 309 Scott street. Native of Norway; born in 1842. He is a son of Tennis and Pauline (Larson). They came to the city in 1844, and his father followed his vocation as a captain on the lakes. He had for many years been a sea captain. Theodore commenced sailing in 1855. He has filled all of the various capacities on a sailing vessel, and for the past twelve years has been a captain. He was commander of the first steamboat fitted out by the Engleman Transportation Company. It was called the "GEORGE BARLOW." He sailed the "GUIDO PFISTER" five years, and the "IRONSIDES" three years. He first commanded the "GEORGE BARBER." He was afterwards commander of the "MESSENGER," the "MANISTEE," the "IRONSIDES," and the "MINNEAPOLIS." He married, in 1862, to Miss Anna Stephenson of Manistee. They have five children.

Source: History of Milwaukee County, 1881



Candidate for Town of Wauwatosa
Michael Schlehlein, Democratic candidate for constable, is the son-in-law of P.J. Deuster, Democratic candidate for treasurer. For a short time he conducted his father-in-law's saloon. He is now erecting a building on Blue Mound Rd. where a saloon will be located.

From Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899



FRANK SCHMITT, a well-known contractor and builder of Milwaukee, was born on March 13, 1871, in that city, being the son of Herman and Anna (Jungers) Schmitt, the father being born in Milwaukee in 1849, and the mother born in Luxemburg, Germany. The father, after leaving the public schools of his native city, learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed until 1882, and from that time until 1907, he extended his efforts into the general contracting lines, then being succeeded in the business by his son, Frank, the subject hereof. The family comprised of three children, all boys, who are interested in the business. Frank gained his schooling in the public schools, at the Spencerian Business College, and at night schools at the East Side high school. With his father he learned the carpenter's trade, later kept books for the firm and attended to various other office duties, until in 1897, when he purchased an interest in the firm, and ten years later got entire control of the plant, when his father retired, in 1907. As soon as he had control he started in to win success in a greater degree even than heretofore, for his laudable ambition was to be the leading contractor and builder of the Cream City, hence the many magnificent structures that his skill and genius have builded stand in various parts of the city to proclaim to the world his phenomenal success. On March 12, 1895, he was united in the bonds of wedlock to Katherine, daughter of Peter and Mary Wengler, of Milwaukee, and their union has been blessed with three bright and happy children, all born almost the same day of the same month: Francis H., born Aug. 12, 1896; Katherine, born Aug. 6, 1898; and Eugenie, born Aug. 12, 1900. In religion Mr. Schmitt and his family are members of the Roman Catholic church, while in politics he is a Democrat, being also a member of the Knights of Columbus, of the Hurricane Sporting Club, of the Builders' and Traders' Exchange of Milwaukee, and he is a director in the Northwestern Game Protection Association. He is a striking illustration of the idea that live is what you make it, for he has made his a success by the use of legitimate means to secure great results.

Memoirs of Milwaukee County by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 pg. 606-7



DR. HERMAN J. SCHNEIDER, M. D. C., who has been engaged for ten years in the practice of veterinary surgery in the city of Milwaukee, was born in Pommern, Germany, March 7, 1872, the son of Ferdinand and Ernestine (Born) Schneider, natives of the same locality. His father emigrated to the United States with his family in 1874 and settled in Milwaukee, where he afterwards died. Our subject was reared in Milwaukee and received his early education at the same place. After a thorough training in the public and Lutheran schools, he determined to prepare himself for the work if a veterinary surgeon, and to that end became a student in the Chicago Veterinary College in 1895, graduating two years later in 1897. He then returned to Milwaukee, where he has ever since been engaged in the active and successful practice of his profession. He soon acquired an excellent reputation for skill and knowledge in every branch of the profession, and his private practice has grown to large and generous proportions. In his general work he is called upon to treat almost every known form of disease in horses, dogs and cattle. The Doctor is a hard worker and a close student of his science, and deserves the success which has been accorded him. Over ten years of active pratice have given him a wealth of valuable experience, which, combined with his love for his calling and great industry, together with a special skill in diagnosis, has gained him the confidence of the general public. The Doctor was married in 1906 to a most estimable young lady of Fillmore, Wis., and the union has proved a most happy and congenial one in every way.

Milwaukee County Biographies Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vol. I & II by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 Page 253



ADAM L. SCHROTH, a well-known undertaker of Milwaukee, is a native of that city, son of Adam and Katie Schroth. Adam Schroth was born in Preisen, Germany, and emigrated to the United States in 1854. Soon after landing he proceeded westward and decided to make Milwaukee his home. Here he was married and for a number of years followed his trade of baking in his own baker’s and confectioner’s shop with much success. He continued in active business until his death in 1891, at the age of 55 years. Adam L. Schroth, subject of this sketch, was born Oct. 1, 1861, attended both public and parochial schools and also the Spencerian Business College. He learned the baker’s trade with his father and in 1880 entered the employ Johnson Bros. Baking Co. as a traveling salesman. In 1888 he became an undertaker, and has since continued in that business with much success. In 1881 he married Katie, daughter of Peter and Catherine Pauley, of Milwaukee, and one daughter blessed the marriage-Eleanor wife of Otto R. Singerberger. Mr. Schroth is a member of St. Francis Roman Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus. He also belongs to the Milwaukee Club. He belongs to no political party, but is always alive to the best interests of his neighborhood.

Milwaukee County Biographies Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vol. I & II by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 PAGE 252



Donald J. Schuenke, 75, a native son who became chairman of Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co. Schuenke was a leader at "The Quiet Company" - urging agents to "do the right thing, fight the good fight, keep the faith" - and in the greater Milwaukee community. He died of lymphoma March 30.



Henrietta W. Schwandt, 92, whose personal tragedy became a reason to help others. Her 5-year-old daughter, Barbara, died little more than a week after being placed in a state institution in 1943. "My mother . . . found funds for care diverted to the highway fund," said daughter Thea Liebelt, resulting in investigation and change. In 1976, Schwandt became the first Wisconsin resident to receive the National Mental Health Association's Bell Award. She died June 1 of complications from Alzheimer's disease.



David Schwartz, 65, local bookseller who played real-life David to the Goliaths of the book world. He expanded the Schwartz family book business here, earning a national reputation among independent booksellers. He also believed in building community and fighting censorship. Schwartz died of lung cancer June 7, only days after being named Bookseller of the Year by Publishers Weekly.



Source: The History of Detroit and Michigan, By Silas Farmer, 1889

John Winfield, son of John and Elmina (Eddy) Scott was born at Jamestown, New York, February 11, 1840, and with the exception of two years spent in Milwaukee, 1866-68, has been a life-long resident of that city.  He was educated in the Jamestown public schools and academy.  Choosing medicine as his profession, he studied one year under the direction of Dr. A. F. Ward, beginning in April 1863.  He then entered Cleveland College of Homoeopathy, being graduated M.D. in 1866.  He had built up a good practice and had no intention of abandoning it, but being called to Jamestown on personal business found matters there in such condition that he decided to remain.  He closed up his Milwaukee business, and now for nearly half a century has been in continuous, successful practice in Jamestown.  While devoted to the tenents of his own school, Dr. Scott consults freely with his brethren of other schools and maintains the most friendly relations with them.  He stands high in his profession, and has frequently lectured on medical topics before societies and in hospitals.  He is conscientious and thorough in his methods and has fairly won the respect of his community.  He is a supporter of the Republican party, but has no liking for public office.  He is a liberal supporter of the Congregational church of Jamestown, of which his Grandfather Eddy was the first settled minister.  He is a member of the Masonic Order, affiliated with Mt. Moriah Lodge, No. 145.

He married, October 30, 1868 at Manistee Michigan.  Louisa I. Conover, born at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, August 3, 1846, daughter of Samuel S. Conover, born at Victor, Ontario county, New York, November 10, 1818, died at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, August 2, 1898, and is buried in that city.  He was an extensive dealer in real estate in Manistee, Michigan, and before that sheriff in Milwaukee county, Wisconsin.  He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and a Democrat in politics.  He married Lydia (Montgomery) Powell born November 21, 1816 in Ellisville, New York, died May 3, 1889, daughter of Hugh and Rachel (Rose) Montgomery, and widow of Davide Powell.

Children of Samuel S. and Lydia (Montgomery-Powell) Conover
        1. John Alva Conover, deceased.
        2. Hanna Didama Conover, married William G. Parsons, whom she surives, a resident of Ashville, Chautaugua county, New York
        3. Louisa Lucinda Montgomery Conover, married Dr. John Winfield Scott
        4. LaMira E. Conover, married Hooker Ellis, whom she surives, a resident of Jamestown.

Only child of Dr. John W. and Louisa L. Montgomery (Conover) Scott jane Winogene, born Sept. 30, 1871 married Aubrey D. Hiles, a highly esteemed business man of Milwaukee; they have two adopted daughters.  Aroline, born August 4, 1906, and Catherine, born Sept. 10, 1907.



The First Murderers

from Pioneer History of Milwaukee, Vol. 1 by James S. Buck, 1876

Perhaps no new city has ever been founded in which a murder was not committed. At least Milwaukee cannot claim to be an exception. Among those who came in '36 were two hard cases known as Joseph SCOTT and Cornelius BENNETT. These villians killed an Indian named Manitou (or the Spirit), in the month of November, in front of Wm. BROWN's store, southwest corner of East Water and Michigan streets.

This murder was wholly unprovoked, and the excitment growing out of it among the Indians (some three undred of whom were camped here at the time) was intense, so much so that it required all the courage and influence of Solomon JUNEAU to prevent them from killing every white man in the place. The murderers were at once arrested and confined, first in the office of Albert FOWLER, southwest corner of East Water and Wisconsin, until the jail was completed, when they became its first occupants, where the writer saw them in the month of January '37, while awaiting their trial, which they were not destined to get in Milwaukee, for in April they escaped from the jail, assisted, no doubt, from the outside, and were never retaken.

Scott was hung afterwards at Laporte [Indiana], June 15th 1838, for the murder of his own uncle. Bennett was never heard from. Scott was the most villianous looking rascal for a white man that I have ever seen.

By the omission of Chapter III, no mention was made of the first cemetery on the East Side. It was upon that block bounded by Astor, Racine, Kewaunee and Brady streets. I have helped to bury quite a number there. The bodies, however, have all, or nearly all, been removed long ago. With the exception of Potter's Field, near the hospital, there is now no cemetery on the East Side. There was an old Indian cemetery upon the bluffs at Huron street, where, as has already been stated, Manitou, killed by Scott and Bennett, was buried.

From History of Milwaukee City and County Edited by William George Bruce Vol.1, The. J.S. Clarke Publishing Company, 1922

First Murder
November 1836--Indian named Manitou killed by Joseph Scott and Cornelisu Bennett at southeast corner of Michigan and East Water streets, murderers escaped from jail; Scott hanged in Indiana; Bennett never found.



Source: The Medical History of Milwaukee, By Louis Frederick Frank. Published 1915. Germania Publishing Co.

The first medical student in Milwaukee was Dr. Jeremiah B. Selby, who came from Wayne County, N. Y., in 1842. During the next two years he read medicine in the office of Drs. Bartlett and Bean, pursued his studies in Willoughby College, Ohio, and finally graduated in the medical department of the University of New York. In 1843, while still a student, he was placed in charge of the isolation hospital during the first small-pox epidemic. In 1845 he began practice in Milwaukee. He was a member of the first city school board, which was appointed in 1846 and which laid the foundation of the public school system. He was appointed pension agent by Pres. Lincoln soon after the commencement of the war. He was actively engaged during the cholera epidemic of 1850, but soon retired from practice after the war, though always interested in medical affairs, being elected president in 1882 of the since 1879 newly revived Milwaukee County Medical Society. Throughout his active years he was an earnest, public-spirited citizen, alive to the interests of his profession and the city of his residence, winning the highest esteem of his fellow-practitioners and fellowmen. He came to his death by falling through an elevator-shaft, June 1st, 1897.



Nami V. Shio, 88, interred with most of her Japanese-American family during World War II. Shio was released to work in Madison, and then worked to get other family members released. She served as president of the Japanese American Citizens League's chapter in Wisconsin, dedicated to civil rights. "She always said she didn't want it to happen to any group again," niece Susan Shiraga said. Shio died Feb. 18 after a stroke.


HENRY MELVINE SHAW, deceased, for many years one of the old and respected citizens of Milwaukee, was born in Bordentown, N. J., on Dec. 22,1824. He was a son of John J. and Clara (Melvine) Shaw, the former of whom was born in Bordentown, B. J., and the latter in Philadelphia Pa. The father was a merchant, who came west in the early fifties and located in St. Paul, Minn. He built the Merchants’ Hotel, one of the best-known hostelries of that city, and for a number of years was its proprietor. Before his death he retired and returned to the east, his death occurring in New York City. The mother died when the subject of this sketch was but an infant. There were two sons in the family—Henry and William. Henry M. Shaw received his educational advantages in the public schools of Philadelphia. At the age of twenty-five he came west and became associated with his father in the latter’s business interests. This association was kept up until his death on July 27, 1862. In his political beliefs Mr. Shaw was always allied with the Republican Party, but was never an aspirant for any public office. On June 25,1854, occurred a marriage to Miss Anna Anderson, of St. Paul, a daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Nichols) Anderson. Mrs. Shaw’s father was born in Hungary and her mother in Philadelphia. The father came to the United States as a boy and located in New York, where he became associated in the fur trading business with John Jacob Astor. After his marriage he came west and with Mr. Astor established a fur trading post on the site of the present city of Saginaw, Mich. Later he removed to St. Paul, where he was engaged in the fur trade with the Indian. He retired some twenty years before his death, which occurred in 1885, at the advanced age of one hundred and three years. The mother died in 1880, at the age of sixty-three. Mrs. Shaw, the widow of the subject of this memoir, was born in New York City. Two of her children are living-Ella, wife of Dr. J. P. Carmichael, a dentist of Milwaukee, and Harry M., a resident of Chicago.

Source: Milwaukee County Biographies Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vol. I & II by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909
pg 288



Samuel Shaw, an ex-lake captain, was for more than thirty years actively engaged on the lakes, but has recently retired from sailing, though he still retains interests in vessel property. He is well remembered as one of the old and efficient masters, and is now engaged in the flour and grain business at No. 288 Forty-third street, Chicago.

Captain Shaw was born in Ireland in 1836, the son of William and Catharine (Piper) Shaw, who were born, lived and died in Ireland, the mother dying in 1888. During his early life in the old country Samuel was engaged in farming and fishing, and at the age of twenty-three came to New York, and two years later, in 1861, he reached Oswego, and there began on the lakes a service which lasted for more than thirty years. He came to Chicago in 1863, and went before the mast on the schooner Muskegon, carrying wood; remained on her three months, and then joined the schooner Dawn, and later on the scow Beloit. The next season he shipped on the scow C. C. Butts, carrying wood and lumber, and the season of 1865 was on the William F. Allen, engaged in the grain trade.

In 1866 Captain Shaw and Nicholas Martin bought an interest in the schooner Enterprise, and sailed her until 1871, both acting as masters during the years 1869-70. They then purchased the schooner Glad Tidings, and sailed her until 1879, after which he became master of the Red, White and Blue, serving for seven or eight years. Following this he took charge of the Alice B. Norris for one year, and was then master of the Ada Medora for a season. Quitting the lakes for a time, Captain Shaw returned and sailed the Frank Miner. He retired permanently from the lakes in 1892, since which time he has been engaged in the grain, hay and feed business, although he still holds his interests in various vessels. He is part owner of the schooner Ada Medora, now in commission.

Captain Shaw was married in Milwaukee to Miss Sarah Colter, and to this union have been born four children: Margaret, Catharine, John (a sailor) and Sarah.



DAR Member
Descendant of Nathan Martin

Gr.-granddaughter of:
Nathan Martin
b: 1734 in Woodbury, Conn
d: 1794 in Woodbury, Conn
res: Connecticut
to: Ellen Bradley

Nathan Martin enlisted in Capt. Simeon Smith's company, Col. Philip Burr
Bradley's regiment, 1776, and served, 1781, under Capt. James Dana.

Child of Nathan and Ellen Martin:
	Wait Martin
	to: Clarinda Pierson

Child of Wait and Clarinda Martin:
	Mary B. Martin



He Succeeded in Getting into a Lifeboat. Struggles in the Surf.

On the trip from Milwaukee to Chicago a squall struck the Lady Elgin within ten miles of the spot where the collision occurred. It was a little earlier in the night, however. The people were dancing in the cabin, and when the squall struck us, the steamer keeled over a little and everyone was thrown down, but they all got up and held on to each other's hands and righted the boat. It was a hard squall and rough the rest of the way to Chicago.

"On the night of the accident they had been dancing in the cabin, and the ladies had been giving a concert in the aft cabin. I was in the cabin when the Augusta struck us. Just before the vessel ran into the Elgin the squall struck her. I ran downstairs to see what the matter was. The middle gangway where the vessel struck us was cut through as far as the engine room. She was trimmed at the time and she was on her beam, and they were trying to get the break out of the water. The Augusta lay alongside of the aft gangway drifting aft and I could have stepped from one vessel to the other. The Augusta was lumber laden and all the passengers could have got aboard of her if a line had been attached to her, but as far as anyone knew the Augusta was the most damaged, her forward rigging being carried away.

As I saw the way she was cut, I turned round and mot(sic) Capt. Connors, who was engaged as a diver in this city. I said to him: "Captain we are all lost. Get to the yawl boat." He asked if I had seen his partner, but I said no. As I jumped into the yawl boat, the porter of the steamer was lying in the boat, and I told him to get up until we got the boat ready. So Capt. Connors let go the falls of the yawl boat and handed them to me, and told me to let them go when the captain gave the word. He said the same thing to the porter of the boat, and he just had them ready when the captain sung out to lower the boat. We dropped her and thirteen men jumped right into her. Tim O'Brien was one of the survivors in our boat. We had no oar at the time. WE sung out for an oar, and the clerk of the boat jumped for us with the oar. We drifted alongside the Lady Elgin, and sung out: "Let us see if we can do something for the boat." The clerk said, "No, shove with the oar. She'll go down in a few minutes," and we put the oar to her and shoved her off. We drifted about 2,000 feet away from the boat when she went down.

We all sat in the bottom of the boat in water up to our waists, except Capt. Connors, who sat on the rail and steered the yawl. By bailing out the water with our hands we kept the yawl afloat. We drifted until daylight in the morning, when we saw land. Just before we saw land a wave came along and nearly filled the boat. WE could see another great wave coming, which would certainly have swamped us, but it broke at the stern and we did not get it at all. As we came to the shore, Capt. Connors told us to jump out and hang on to the boat, for she would capsize in the surf and drown us all. When we were close to the shore, I jumped out and was caught by a wave that carried me 200 feet and threw me against a big bank on the beach. The undertow caught me and dragged me back, but as the next wave threw me to the bank again I dug my fingers into the clay and tried to resist the power of the undertow. As I was slipping back into the water I caught in my hand a root that had hung from an overhanging tree which had been washed out by the water, and held on, although the force of the water had knocked the breath out of me. Soon the porter of the boat was washed in and I grabbed him by the neck and held him. He was up to me in a minute. Tim O'Brien was the next one to roll-in, and he was pretty near gone. I grabbed him by the hand and drew his head out of the water. He was so far gone that he could not hold on to the roots. I told the porter, tho had climbed up the tree, to throw down a bough to me. Tim got hold hold(sic) of this and held on, and I pulled him up where I was.

Then we climbed up the bank and went to a man and gave the alarm. All the thirteen men in the boat were saved, but I forgot who they were, and, in fact, never had a list of them. The man who lived on the bluff was very kind to us. It was between 4 and 5 o'clock in the morning. He made his family get up and get breakfast for us, and they made a large fire so we could dry our clothes. His cabin was facing the lake and just as we were drinking a cup of coffee, the girl said that they were all coming ashore on a raft. The proprietor of the cabin told the men to take all the clothes lines they could get and go to the beach. He saddled a horse and went riding around to alarm the neighbors. We saved a good many of the survivors before the broken boat commenced to come in. When she commenced to break up the timbers came in close to shore and a good many were lost, as the people ashore could not go into the water and try to save them. I was on shore when Capt. Wilson of the Elgin and Mrs. Rice of the Third wards were the only two left on the raft. He was on the north end of the raft and was climbing over a beam to get to the south end where the lady was. The big beam in the center turned over on top of him as he was crossing it. I suppose it killed him, as we did not recover his body nor that of Mrs. Rice at the time.

My feet were raw and bleeding. One man, named Nick McGrath, who lived on Erie street, in the Third ward, floated into the mouth of the Milwaukee rive a month after and went ashore on his own place.

Source: Milwaukee Sentinel Sept 4, 1892



Thomas W. Sheriffs, the secretary, treasurer and general manager of the Sheriffs Manufacturing Company, of Milwaukee, Wis., is the eldest son of James Sheriffs, the founder of this establishment, which is known as the oldest foundry and machine shop in Milwaukee, and which has been conducted practically under the same management ever since it was established in the year 1854, being one of the oldest on the Great Lakes.

James Sheriffs was one of the pioneer manufacturers of Milwaukee, where he spent the most active years of his life, having arrived in the then comparatively unimportant city when a young man, to become, in a few years, prominent in the iron manufacturing industry. He was a native of Scotland, born September 22, 1822, in Banff, the chief town in Banffshire, where he was reared and educated. Naturally ambitious and independent of spirit, he early had a desire to take up mechanical pursuits, and as a consequence his schooling was somewhat limited, for he was only a boy when he commenced his apprenticeship to the iron maker's trade in the Banff foundry, where he served four years, learning molding in all its branches. His apprenticeship completed, he followed the custom of the times and traveled through England, Ireland, Scotland, France and Belgium, working in some of the leading shops of those countries as a journeyman molder. After working for a time in Belgium he returned to London, whence, in 1847, he set out for America, inspired by the glowing accounts of the opportunities for success which awaited young men of enterprise and energy in the United States. He landed in New York City in April, and for some time, traveled quite extensively, visiting Detroit, Chicago, and St. Louis before coming to Milwaukee, where he found employment in the old Menominee shops of Lee & Walton, located on Reed street, where for many years afterward the old Union Depot stood. While with this firm he held the position of foreman, and it was under his supervision that the castings for the first locomotive constructed in the West were made. This was what was known as an inside connected engine, and was built for and used by the Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad Company.

In June 1854, not long after settling in Milwaukee, Mr. Sheriffs opened the machine shop and foundry known as the Vulcan Iron Works, which still stands at the corner of South Water and Barclay streets, and is now the property of the Sheriffs Manufacturing Company, the entire plant having been sold to that corporation after his decease, which occurred July 18, 1887. He operated the business as sole proprietor, at first doing jobbing and general foundry work, making kettles for boiling feed, building castings, etc., but after a few years he turned his attention to the manufacture of saw-mill machinery, and finally to the marine trade, of which they now make a specialty. Marine machinery of all kinds was turned out, and in 1876 he constructed the Sheriffs propeller wheel for steam vessels of every class, which has now become widely known, being used very extensively on the lakes, in New Orleans and on the Pacific coast; they make shipments to almost every part of the world. Vessels equipped with this wheel are conceded to be superior to all others for speed and other desirable attainments, and their popularity has been acquired by the universal success which has attended their use. When Mr. Sheriffs commenced life on his own account he felt that his character and abilities, if he had any, would now make themselves manifest, and if he was to make his way in the world it would have to be by his own exertions. Perseverance and strong will power were among his marked characteristics, for although he had a successful business career of thirty-three years, all was not smooth sailing, and three times he suffered the complete loss of his shop and tools; with never-failing energy he set to work each time, however, and re-established himself, losing no time in getting his works in operation after each disaster. Mr. Sheriffs possessed great firmness and decision of character. He was careful and deliberate in all his judgments, but at the same time had advanced and progressive ideas, and was thoroughly wide-awake in all his affairs, sincere in every act, and one who gained and retained the confidence of all with whom he came into contact. Generous and public-spririted, he contributed liberally of his time, influence and means to whatever was conducive to the welfare of his adopted city and the good of his fellow men. He was an able and forcible public speaker, and was for many years prominently identified with the Republican party; but he was not a politician, and though tendered office several times invariable declined. He served on several occasions as chairman of the Republican central committee. Socially he was well known in the Odd Fellows fraternity, being a member of the Cream City Lodge No. 139, and he was also an honorary member and one of the founders of the Hanover Street Congregational Church, established in the 'fifties, and his wife is also one of the charter members of that society.

On December 6, 1849, Mr. Sheriffs was married, at Jericho, Waukesha Co., Wis., to Miss Christina Duncan, and their union was blessed with six children - four sons and two daughters, viz.: Thomas W., whose name introduces this sketch; John Henry, who is in the employ of the Hoffman Billings Manufacturing Co.; Jeanette Elizabeth (now Mrs. Fred E. Carlton); Mary Agnes (now Mrs. John T. Llewellyn); James Alexander; and George Duncan, who is secretary of the Western Malleable Iron Foundry Company, of Milwaukee, Wis. The sons are all married.

Thomas W. Sheriffs was born March 26, 1852, in the Fifth ward, Milwaukee, and until April 1866, attended the public schools of his ward. During the term of 1866-67 he was a pupil in Markham's Academy, Milwaukee, and in 1868 he attended the high school for three months, which completed his school education. He has been connected with the business since April 1866, when he went to work for his father as office boy, and continued to do odd jobs in and around the place during his vacations until he left school, making collections, acting as bookkeeper, etc. In 1868 he commenced an apprenticeship to the machinist's trade, and continued to follow it until his father's death; in 1879 he became foreman of the shop, in which he acquired a one-third interest when the property was divided. He managed the works until they were incorporated into the company known as the Sheriffs Manufacturing Company, located on the original site of the foundry, when he was made secretary and treasurer, as well as general manager of the concern. This establishment has enjoyed more than an average degree of success under his management, and the capacity of the plant has been greatly increased, employment being given to about thirty-five men, and the yearly output amounts to about $135,000 worth of manufactured product. Their particular specialty is the Sheriffs propeller wheel, but they continue to manufacture marine machinery exclusively, and have furnished a large number of steamers, barges and tugs with their engines, steam steerers and other devices. The property has a frontage of 235 feet on Barclay street, and 120 feet on South Water street.

In August 1874, Mr. Sheriffs was united in marriage to Miss Kate Storm Nelson, who is the daughter of Joseph Nelson, one of the early settlers of Racine county, and who now lives at No. 807 Scott street, Milwaukee. They have three daughters: Flora May, Grace and Cornelia Mandaville. Mr. Sheriffs is not a church member, but he considers the Hanover Street Congregational Church as his abiding place, his father and mother, as above stated, having been among its founders. Politically, Mr. Sheriffs follows the foorsteps of his father, and is a loyal member of the Republican party, with which he has been closely identified for the past twelve years, having attended most of their conventions in the capacity of delegate, and as such a member of the county committee. Socially he is a member of the Calumet Club since 1889, and since 1897 has held membership with the Iroquois Club.

Source: History of the Great Lakes, Vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield Published Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1899



Nami V. Shio, 88, interred with most of her Japanese-American family during World War II. Shio was released to work in Madison, and then worked to get other family members released. She served as president of the Japanese American Citizens League's chapter in Wisconsin, dedicated to civil rights. "She always said she didn't want it to happen to any group again," niece Susan Shiraga said. Shio died Feb. 18 after a stroke.


Source: The Ancestors of Ebenezer Buckingham, who was born in 1748 and of his descendants; compiled by James Buckingham; 1892

Prof. A.W. Smith is principal of the High School in Wauwatosa. He was born and brought up on a farm. Attended the village district school during the winter, until sixteen years of age; taught a country district school for three winters, then attended school at Carroll College, Waukesha, Wis. for two years, graduated from there in the spring of 1876; was appointed principal of the Wauwatosa school in the fall of the same year and has held the position without interruption. He with his family reside (1892) at Wauwatosa, Wis.



'The Journal and Carolina Spartan', Spartanburg, S.C dated June 24, 1919


Milwaukee, Wis., June 21,- By making 3,100 doughnuts in a single day, MRS. JOHN C. SMITH brigadier in the Salvation Army, won the international doughnut-making championship. She accomplished this feat during the War Mothers exposition and thousands of returning soldiers and sailors were feasted on the doughnuts.

Ensign MARGARET SHELTON, also of the Salvation Army, has a record of 2,750 in a day. The Chicago headquarters of the Salvation Army has officially announced that MRS. SMITH is the champion.

MRS. SMITH has been engaged in Salvation Army work for 35 years. She started making doughnuts nine years ago, when she and her husband were stationed at Dallas, Texas.



book-keeper at the office of Wolf & Davidson, ship-builders, foot of Washington street, was born in Troy, New York, May 13, 1843; came to Milwaukee with his parents in 1854; enlisted in Co. K. Twenty-fourth Wisconsin in 1862; was discharged from the service on account of a wound received at the battle of Stone River; returning home he commenced work in the office of Ellsworth & Davidson, ship-builders, in 1863. When the firm was changed to Wolf & Davidson, he was retained in the position, and has been in the employ of the firm continuously to this writing. Mr. Smith is organist of the Hanover street Congregational church. His residence is No. 274 Hanover street.





He Was Cool-Headed Throughout--His Escape Was Almost Miraculous

We left Chicago Sept. 7 about 11:30 p. m. with about 500 passengers. Everybody was in the best spirits. There was music and dancing in the cabin and all the passengers were enjoying themselves. The boat was crowded and there were not state rooms enough. Fred Rice had given me a state room and when I got tired and wanted to lied down I went to it but found that it was occupied by some of the excursionists. I woke them up and told them that they were in my room. They asked me to let them sleep until midnight, and I said all right. I saw Mr. Davis, chief mate of the steamer and said to him in a joking way, "Do you let me be picked out of my berty by one of those tooth picks," meanig a vessel's jib boom. He laughingly said, "We are on deck and will take care of the tooth picks." Little did we think that the jest would prove true before dawn.

As I got out on deck I saw Mr. Quail who came from Chicago with me. His berth had been taken by a friend. I spoke to Mr. Rice again and he said that we could sleep in the wheelman's berth. I went in, but Mr. Quail went to his own room. As I lay in the berth I heard the officers rushing about overhead. I had been asleep and though the collision woke me up I did not hear it. But from the noise I thought something was wrong and so I got up and put on my shoes. I tried to get out of the room but could not find the door. I then woke the wheelman up to ask him where the door was. He told me to go to sleep again as everything was all right. I said that I thought there was something the matter. I then went out and on the deck I met Mr. Quail. He had no hat on and his hair was standing on end. I asked him what the trouble was and he said that we were all lost. I said: "I guess not. You are frightened; we are all right."

I then went through the cabin on the lower deck and the water was washing over the floor. There was one man in the room and he was calling for more drinks. He was a large, portly man--a German. From the condition of the boat I saw that she was sinking. I went up through the cabin in somewhat of a hurry and went to the hurricane deck to get ready to swim. I went out to the smoke stacks where they kept the life planks as they were called. They were planks about fifteen inches wide and four feet long with ropes so that you could tie yourself to them. While I was up there I saw how the wreck had occurred. The schooner Augusta, in the height of the squall, had struck the steamer on the port side forward of the port paddle wheel. She ran her jib boom through the pantry and cabin and cut her down to the keels on, so that the dishes in the pantry with the pans and plates and all of the table outfit were on the schooner's deck. All on board were silent; their faces white with freight (sic).

Well, I took my life planks and tied them together. Then I grasped the whistle rope that connects with the pilot house. I pulled the rope, and it seemed to me as if I never had heard such a mournful whistle as was given. I then cut the rope and took what I wanted to lash my planks together. Then I pulled the rope again, and the whistle was still more mournful and much less powerful than it was at first. It was the last time that the steamer whistle ever sounded. I then sat down aft of the pilot house on the hurricane deck, waiting for the steamer to sink. Capt. Wilson was standing at his post on the pilot house giving orders to the man at the wheel and shouting to the passengers to break off the state-room doors and hand them on the upper deck, so that they could be sued to save life. He ordered the yawl to be lowered and the mattresses to be put in her to stop up the hole made by the collision, but it was of no use. The chief mate had charge of the yawl, but could not get near enough to the steamer on account of her listing to port.

Suddenly the captain cried out for everybody to run aft or the boat would plunge in head first. Everyone ran aft, and then the steamer sank stern first. The smoke-stacks tumbled across each other, and Capt. Wilson fell off the pilot house near me. I did not stir from the spot where i Had commenced lashing my planks. There were heartrending shrieks and then there was a death-like silence. The steamer had sunk.

The upper deck broke away from the steamer. Where I sat I was out of the water. I looked around me and all was dark. As I sat there in the darkness wondering how things would turn out I heard some one call me in a muffled voice. I answered and asked what was wanted. They answered back and I said that we were very lucky fellows. The voice replied that there was no luck in having the steamer go down. I said that that was bad but that we were lucky to be on deck which kept us a foot and hand out of water and that we were in the course of steamboats going up and down the lake and as soon as daylight came some passing vessel would pick us up. By that time my eyes had become accustomed to the darkness. I could see who my companions were. The man I was talking to was one of the Union guards with a lady by his side kneeling and praying. I interrupted him and asked him why he did not take off his knapsack and belt and throw them away so that he could swim. He did so. I then sat still waiting for daylight. Light at last came and with it what a sight! As far as the eye could see there was nothing but human heads for there was a black fog hanging about two feet from the water and all one could see was the heads sticking out above the fog. Capt. Wilson was standing near me inquiring about a friend from New Orleans but could get no answer. I have forgotten what the friend's name was.

On the hurricane deck near us was a woman with her child about 6 months old. The child was crying from the cold and wet as though its heart would break. The part they were on broke off and the captain reached for the child but could not get it. Then I took hold of him so as to steady him and he took the little one from its mother's arms just before she sank into the water. He carried the child to another part of the wreck, walking on a mass of floating timber cabin furniture and broken parts of the deck.

The wind increased by 8 o'clock was blowing a gale from the northeast while the sea was getting very heavy and the raft commenced breaking up and Lake Michigan for miles around was dotted with small specks of rafts and floating objects with human beings on them. I was on one of the rafts which was quite large and as near as I could judge there must have been twenty persons on it with me. I was knocked off by a big sea and so were three or four more. I had my plank with me and as I swam back to the raft two or three of them hung on to me. The only way I could get back on to the raft was by taking hold of a coat tail that was hanging over the edge and floating on the water. I grasped that and pulled myself and the people that were hanging to me back upon the raft. When I took hold of the coat the owner of it commenced to sing out: "What are you doing. Let go of that coat; let go of that coat." I looked at him. He was lying down on the wreck holding on with both hands. I said to him: "Don't be in a hurry; you are all right. A yoke of oxen could not pull you off." He was one of the cooks of the steamer.

While I was standing on the hurricane deck a piece of the steamer's arch came floating along. A big sea lifted the arch and when it came down it hit a man, who was near me, on the head. I watched him as he sank, but he did not come up again. Another time there came another piece of broken arch with a boy hanging on it. A big sea knocked another person off the raft and he took hold of the arch. His head was on one side while is feet were sticking out on the other and the arch commenced rolling. I shouted at him to put his arms around the timber. I had no more than said this when he did so and he and the boy floated away in good shape.

By the time the wreck commenced to break up the planks separating, and, as I called it, each person was captain of his own craft. When the raft broke up there was another man on the piece of the wreck with me. We both worked like heroes. We had two pieces of board and with them we kept the floating pieces of timber and rubbish away from us. But when we got into the breakers we capsized and I was under the raft. I had to get out from underneath it or get drowned and the only way I could do it was to put my foot against the raft and give it a shove. I did this and came to the surface. I looked around for my partner but he was gone and I never saw him again.

There was an elderly lady floating on part of the wreck near which I was. I should judge she was about fifty feet from me. She was kneeling and holding on for dear life but when she got into the breakers she was washed off and drowned. There was a colored man close to her and by his looks and his actions he must have been seasick. I spoke to him and told him that if he did not keep his head out of water he would be drowned. The first breaker washed him off and that was the last I saw of him.

When I was on the wreck I looked off to the south and saw a man and a woman on the pilot house. In a moment the woman was washed off and the man jumped in after her. I thought that they would both be drowned. Suddenly a big sea came and washed the man back to the pilot house. He grasped the edge and succeeded in getting back on it and bringing the woman with him. They both landed safely on the beach and when I mentioned the circumstance I found that it was John Eviston and his wife. He deserved great credit for when he jumped into the water to rescue his wife he seemed to be going to certain death. On a part of the wreck there was a young lady and four men and within ten feet of them was another piece of wreck with two men on it. All of a sudden the young lady fell off and one of the men cried out: "Save her; she is my daughter." But before they could do anything the girl turned her face toward her father and giving him one farewell look, sank. The men on the raft were saved.

In the morning when daylight had appeared I saw a good many people on a part of the wreck to the north of me. I sang out and asked if Mr. Quail was there and the answer came, "Is that you Snyder?" I said it was and asked him how he was feeling. He said: " All right but a Roman punch would not go bad this morning. I said that a gin cocktail would suit me better. That was the last we spoke, for before long he went to his long home where there is no manufacturing of Roman punches.

When we got to the breakers I got my planks under my left arm with my right hand holding them so that I could steer them with the sea and I never teared a straighter course in my seafaring life. When I neared shore I thought that I could touch bottom and made to the beach. I had no more than touched bottom and commenced to walked than a big breaker washed me up on the beach. Before I could get up the undertow washed me out again and I thought that I was gone for the force of the waves took all the breath out of me.

In a minute another breaker washed me up high and dry. I have had some experience in breakers so the last time I was washed up I dug my feet and hands into the sand and looked back to the water. I should judge it was twenty or thirty feet away from me when I got up and looked back at the breakers and the heavy sea. Mr. Shea and some other persons were on the beach where I was washed ashore. They took hold of me and I said that I was all right only that the lashings of the planks had bruised the flesh of my arm and pained me very much. I asked Mr. Shea if he had a knife. He took one from his pocket and tried to cut the rope but could not do it. Then I took the knife and putting it sideways under the lashings and turning the edge up cut the rope.

I asked some of the folks if there was any way to get up the bank. Two men took hold of me and said they would haul me up the bank. I told them to let go; that I was all right and could climb up the bank as well as they. There was a pathway up the bank and we soon reached the top of it. Then I went to a farm house where there were about twenty of the survivors and then we came home.

Source: Milwaukee Sentinel Sept 4, 1892



John David Squier, 78, whose vision changed the way people do banking in Wisconsin. Squier, then a vice president for Marine Bank, lobbied other big banks to adopt shared technology for automatic teller machines. The first TYME machine transaction came in 1976. Squier died of cancer Aug. 4.



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Robert Closson Spencer-a member of a family more widely known, probably, than any other family in the United States connected with educational work-is the president of the Spencerian Business College of Milwaukee. He is the son of Piatt R. Spencer, who devised the Spencerian style of penmanship, and whose name has been a familiar one in every school in the land for two generations. The first American ancestor of the family, John Spencer, came to Rhode Island in 1661, and was one of the founders of East Greenwich, in that state, and Caleb Spencer, the grandfather of Robert C, served as a soldier in the revolutionary war.

Robert was born in East Ashtabula, Ohio, June 22, 1829, and received a common school and academic education, and began his work as a teacher in Gundy's Mercantile College, in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1851, in partnership with V. M. Rice, he opened a commercial school in Buffalo, N. Y. Shortly after, in company with Messrs. Bryant and Stratton, he was employed in establishing commercial colleges in the larger cities of the United States, and was so engaged in St. Louis, Mo., in the spring of 1861, when the Civil War broke out, and he abandoned his educational work for a time and enlisted in the Third Missouri infantry. This regiment, mustered at the St. Louis Arsenal on April 22, 1861, in the three months' service, participated in the capture of Camp Jackson, and was in the Battles of Carthage and Wilson's Creek.

At the close of his term of enlistment Mr. Spencer left the military service with impaired health and returned to his educational work, coming' north in the hope of recuperation. He came to Milwaukee in May, 1863, and in September following, under the name of Bryant, Stratton & Spencer, opened a commercial college, which, since 1865, has been known as the Spencerian Business College. It was incorporated in 1873. And reincorporated in 1887, and has a strong faculty, the teachers being experts and specialists in the departments of bookkeeping, penmanship, business practice, office routine, commercial law, banking, civics, phonography, typewriting, and all allied branches of study which fit a young man for practical business life. Thousands of young men, many of them occupying the most responsible positions in the present commercial life of this and neighboring states, have been fitted in this college for their successful life work.

Among those who received their first tuition in business methods from Prof. R. C. Spencer may be mentioned Hon. Lyman J. Gage, former Secretary of the Treasury of the United States, who took -his first lessons in accounts of the former in Chicago in 1858, when Prof. Spencer was in that city in the interests of the Bryant & Stratton chain of commercial colleges. Personally Prof. Spencer is a man of strong mentality and actively interested in all lines of educational work; he is liberal in his religious views, and politically a supporter of the Republican party, and while active in all that pertains to his duties as a citizen has never been a seeker after political honors. In 1890 the Republicans of his district nominated him for congress, but that year was a disastrous one for the Republican party, on account of the opposition aroused by the "Bennet Law," and his political opponent, Hon. John L. Mitchell, was elected. Prof. Spencer was one of the organizers of the People's Institute of Milwaukee, for a number of years a flourishing institution, a promoter of the Wisconsin Phonological Institute for teaching the deaf to speak, one of the founders of the Wisconsin Humane Society, and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and was for some time the vice president of the Political Science Association of the University of Wisconsin. As a member of the Grand Army he has been instrumental in the inauguration of a movement for the preservation of the military, civil and family histories of the members of that order, the historical value of which wall become greater and more apparent to the student with every added year. The survivors of that great civil conflict are fast passing away, and it will soon be impossible to collect data which has the freshness and peculiar value of personal recollections. Mr. Spencer is the originator of a movement which has gained momentum through the encouragement of many eminent citizens, the object of which is to nationalize a system of education on a liberal basis, requiring the active co-operation of national, state and municipal governments in the establishment of a system of universal education suited to the conditions and requirements of communities, and adapted to the needs of the people. His plan comprehends memorializing the United States congress to call a constitutional convention for the purpose of amending the federal constitution as to empowering congress to establish and maintain conjointly with the states a national system of education adapted to the needs of the people. The idea seems a feasible one, and it is to be hoped that it will be carried to a successful consummation.



Kendall S. Spicer, 95, who kept up a family tradition, selling Spicer's fresh-popped corn for 50 years. His father, George, bought an elegant old popcorn wagon in 1912. Spicer continued selling on Wisconsin Ave., also opening a popcorn truck on W. North Ave. in Wauwatosa. The business closed in 1994. Spicer died of natural causes Sept. 12.



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Milton M. Spitz, M. D., has been engaged in the practice of medicine in the city of Milwaukee for about six years, and in addition to caring for a large and representative practice he is an instructor in therapeutics in the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons (his alma mater), attendant in internal medicine at the free dispensary of the same institution, and also the attending physician at Mt. Sinai hospital. He was born in Chicago, Ill, on Feb. 12, 1877, son of Morris and Ida (Moohr) Spitz, the former of whom was born in Austria-Hungary, and the latter in Chicago, Ill. The father migrated to America while a young man and located in Chicago. The maternal grandfather and his wife, whose maiden name was Babette Oppenheimer, also settled in Chicago at an early day and there the husband died, after which the widow removed to Milwaukee and resided in that city until her death, twenty-five years later. The parents of the subject of this review took up their residence in Milwaukee in 1883, and for 'a number of years the father was engaged in the mercantile business, but he is now living in retirement after an active and successful career. Of the seven children born to himself and wife, six-three sons and three daughters are living.

Dr. Spitz received his literary education in the public schools of Milwaukee, including a high-school course, and then turned his attention to the study of medicine. After due preparation he matriculated at the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons, and after a thorough course graduated in that institution with the class of 1901. For two years immediately following his graduation he served as interne in the Michael-Reese Hospital, and during the past six years has been engaged in the active practice of his profession. He is independent in politics, and his professional and other associations are as follows : The Milwaukee, the Milwaukee County, the Wisconsin State and the American Medical associations; the Masonic Order; Modern Woodmen of America.; Royal Arcanum ; B'nai B'rith, and the Phi Rho Sigma Medical Fraternity.



George Sroda, 93, the Amherst Junction turkey farmer who found fame in worm-care products, creating "Magic Worm Products." "Worm Czar" Sroda appeared with Herman - his favorite worm and an especially fine specimen of wormhood - on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" and other programs. He died of cancer Aug. 31.



Source: The Medical History of Milwaukee, By Louis Frederick Frank. Published 1915. Germania Publishing Co.

One of the unique characters in German-American circles was Dr. Joseph Stadler, the "famous" Greek army physician, who attracted a great deal of interest by his drastic stories of phantastic, oriental travels in Europe, Asia and Africa. As a story-teller he was not improperly compared with the renowned Baron v. Muenchhausen. According to a German writer, who visited Milwaukee in 1848, he claimed to have had an income of 80,000 piasters as physician in Smyrna and would have become the son-in-law of an influential pasha, if he had renounced his belief; but he sacrificed his Turkish love and the beckoning horse-tail to make America his abode. Besides his talent to speak six languages fluently, he possessed the virtue of not being affected by want, which moral excellence he demonstrated ad oculos in throwing off his boots and walking barefooted on the paving-stones. In Milwaukee he married the thirteen year old daughter of a shoemaker with whom he was lodging. A few weeks later he was met by the same writer in New Orleans and sailed with him to the West Indies, from where he intended to go to Valparaiso, Chili, intending never to return to Wisconsin. For his immature wife he had bought a farm as a domicile during his absence or perhaps as a widow's estate. On his return he associated himself with a Prussian military physician by the name of Leopold de Leuw, organizing a "Western Surgical and Medical In-formatory with Dispensary." He claimed mercury as a panacea of all human ills and carried out his belief to the extent of innumerable salivations. He died in Milwaukee in 1887.



Keeper of the Spring-street bridge, is a native of Sussex, England, where his father is still living at the age of 91 years. The captain first went to sea in 1840, and served four years' apprenticeship in a coal trade on the coast of England. He sailed for a number of years from London and Liverpool, in merchant vessels. he also sailed on the Mediterranean and Black seas, the West Indies, and to the coast of South American, where he went as mate of a ship. He then shipped for New Orleans, and returned to Liverpool in July, 1850. He then came to American in the same year, and commenced sailing on the lakes from the port of Racine, and soon after became mate of the schooner "LEWIS C. IRWIN." In 1853, he came to Milwaukee, from which port he sailed as mate of the brig "HELFENSTEIN." The following season he was master of the "JUNIATTA PATTON," and commanded the "HELFENSTEIN" in 1855. For the next six seasons he sailed the "JESSE HOYT," and in 1862 fitted out the "NEWS BOY," belonging to Jesse Hoyt, which he commanded until the close of the season of 1863, when he left the lakes and settled on his farm, four miles from this city, where he resided sixteen years. In 1879, Captain Stamford sold his farm, and moved into the city. On May 1, 1880, he was appointed to his present position as bridge tender. The captain was married, July 10, 1850, and buried his wife and infant child in Racine, May 22, 1852. May 22, 1855, he married Miss Barbara, daughter of Captain James Stewart, of this city. She was born August 11, 1833, and came to America with her parents, from Scotland, in 1839. They lived in Erie, Pa., until 1844, when they moved to America with her parents, from Scotland, in 1839. They lived in Erie, Pa., until 1844, when they moved to Chicago, coming to Milwaukee in 1847, where she has since lived. They have two sons and two daughters: James E., born February 26, 1856; Martha A., born September 23, 1857; Hattie A., born November 10, 1861, and Stewart A., born January 10, 1872. George A., born September 6, 1859; died September 26(8), 1878.

Source: History of Milwaukee County, 1881



In the complicated activities of modern commercial and industrial life there is need for the employment of widely diversified talents, and any enterprise of magnitude calls to its service the practical business man, skilled in affairs as well as the man who works with his hands. The subject of this sketch, one of the substantial business men of Milwaukee, has shown marked ability in the management of large interests, and at present holds the office of vice-president in the Sheriff Manufacturing Company and the Milwaukee Dry Dock Company, while he is also a leading member of the Ship Masters Association.

Like many of our successful men, the Captain is of German blood, the home of his ancestors having been in the Kingdom of Hanover. Frederick Starke, the father of our subject, was born in Hanover and came to America in 1847, locating in Milwaukee, where he became prominently identified with marine interests. He was the founder of the Starke Dredge & Dock Co., of that city, and was the sole owner of its plant until his death in 1858, when his brothers succeeded him. The first dock built in the city was constructed by him, as were all the piers built along the beach from 1850 until 1858. A number of bridges were erected under his direction, and in 1858 he built the first tug constructed in Milwaukee, the vessel being also owned by him. His energy and executive ability seemed equal to any undertaking, and his name will always be associated with the development of the city in which he made his home.

Captain Starke was born in 1855, in Milwaukee, Wis., and was educated in that city, attending first the elementary schools, afterward spending three years in the German High School, and three years in what is now known as Concordia College, then an academic institution. On leaving school at the age of eighteen, he began to gain a practical knowledge of shipping by working upon the tugs in which his family had an interest, and on attaining his majority he was made captain of a tug, a position which he held for four years. In 1880 he was appointed manager of the Milwaukee tugboat line, and after continuing in this responsible post until 1891 he sold out all his shipping property and interests, and purchased stock in the Sheriff Manufacturing Company, of which he is now a vice-president, as above stated. In the same year he bought the plant of the Wolf & Davidson Dry Dock Company, and arranged for a consolidation with the Milwaukee Shipyard Company, and formed the Milwaukee Dry Dock Company, of which he has since been vice-president and general manager. This company owns the entire dry-dock system of Milwaukee, and is one of the leading corporations of the city. Captain Starke has always shown great interest in marine matters, and since the organization of the Ship Masters Association, in 1890, he has served as its treasurer. While he has apparently an inexhaustible fund of energy for his business enterprises, he has never diverted it to political activities, and notwithstanding the fact that he is a stanch Republican he does not seek official honors of any sort.

Source: History of the Great Lakes, Vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield Published Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1899



Norb Stefaniak, 83, who, with his brother, founded Stefaniak Realty, now part of Coldwell Banker real estate. A natural-born salesman, he hawked newspapers at 10 - underage for the job - for the old Wisconsin News. Shot down as a World War II navigator, he used his wits to escape capture by the Germans. He died of leukemia Jan. 20.



CHARLES WILLIAM STEHLING, priest of the Catholic church and professor of dogmatic theology at St. Francis Seminary, is a native of Milwaukee, born Aug. 21, 1872. His father, Joseph Stehling was born in Koenigswinter, Germany, in 1846, and came to this country as a child of seven or eight years, with his parents. He was reared in Milwaukee, and there married Catherine Blommer, a native of the city, who died August, 1907. Another son, Edward, is assistant rector of the Church of St. Raphael, at Madison, Wis. Charles W. was educated at the parochial school of St. Joseph, Milwaukee, and later at St. Francis Seminary, subsequently spending two years at the University of Innsbruch, Tyrol, Austria, where he was ordained by Bishop Prickson in Trol, July 18, 1895, and officiated at his first mass one month later, at the Church of St. Boniface. He served for ten years as assistant at St. Vincent's church, Oshkosh, Wis., and in 1905 he went to Rome, Italy, to study, and there received the degree of D.D. at the end of the year. He further pursued his studies at the Catholic University of America, at Washington, D.C., for another year, and in 1907 was appointed to his present position in the Seminary of St. Francis. He is a careful and conscientious student, and is eminently fitted for the responsible position which he now occupies.

Memoirs of Milwaukee County pg 1006 Vol. 2



No. 270 South Water street, maker of sails, awnings, tents, flags, net and canvas banners, horse, wagon and hay-stack covers, etc. His business was established in 1878. Mr Steinkopf was born in Norway, and came to the United States in 1869, making a short stay in Pensacola, Fla. He settled in Milwaukee in 1870, and was engaged several years with G.D. Norris & Co., ship-chandlers, till commencing business for himself as stated above.




broker in foreign and domestic dried fruits, oranges and lemons, No. 294 East Water street, is a native of New Hampshire, came West and located in this city in 1864, and entered the store of A. B. Blanchard & Co., dealers in fruits; was connected with the house for nine years. In 1875 he established his present business, giving special attention to the handling of foreign and domestic dried fruits, oranges and lemons, representing importers and manufacturer; has an extensive trade in canned goods and deals exclusively with the jobbing trade.

pg. 1195 History of Milwaukee 1881



Source: Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), Watrous, Jerome Anthony, 1840-

Alexander Stewart was born in Scotland in 1799, and resided there until 1822. He had learned the carpenter's trade, and in that year came to America with his young wife and settled at Parisburg, Giles county, Va., where he was engaged in farming, owning property on the edge of the village and at the same time holding the appointment of postmaster at Parisburg until 1834, when with his family he moved West, coming first to Chicago, where he took up a claim near what is now the center of the city. There he remained through the winter of 1834, and came to Milwaukee in the spring of 1835, settling in the town of Lake,, where he filed a claim on 160 acres of land before the government survey was made, and later in the year went to Green Bay and bought the land from the government at the minimum price of $1.25 per acre.

Mr. Stewart was for many years actively engaged in working his farm, and for several years was interested with the well known pioneer, Joel S. Wilcox, in the wood business, the main feature of which was supplying wood to the lake steamers when they put into the bay. Mr. Stewart was in every sense a progressive, public-spirited man, and is credited with having given the first land donated by any private citizen for the purpose of establishing a school in the town of Lake. Through his personal efforts, given to the circulation of a subscription paper among the settlers, the first school in the settlement was opened in the court house and was taught by Mr. Bates, who, during the first term of school made his home with Mr. Stewart. He also donated one-half acre of land for the use of a burying ground for the neighborhood, and this is believed to have been the first cemetery established in Milwaukee county. Mrs. Stewart died at the old home in 1869. Mr. Stewart died there in 1873, mourned by all who knew them.



JOSEPH STOLZ the general superintendent of the Milwaukee Malting Company, was born in the Cream City, on Feb. 1, 1856, the son of Henry and Margaret (Topmeyer) Stolz. The father was born in Germany and came to the Cream City direct from that country in 1840. He engaged in the brewing business with a Mr. Back, on Broadway, under the firm name of Back & Stolz and was actively engaged up to the time of his death, which occurred on Dec. 22, 1867. The mother was born in Bavaria and came to the United States with her parents about 1840, and was reared on a farm just outside the city limits. She is still living and is one of the oldest and most respected residents of the city. Mr. Stolz received his early educational advantages in the First ward public school and St. Mary's parochial school. After the completion of his scholastic work he was variously engaged for many years and for some time prior to 1901 with a dealer in grain. In that year the Milwaukee Malting Company was organized and incorporated and Mr. Stolz was made superintendent, the position which he has since filled with great credit to himself and to the company as well. His thorough knowledge of the grain industry and his natural business acumen have made him a valuable officer. Since 1887 he has been one of the leading figures in the Chamber of Commerce. Fraternally Mr. Stolz is prominently identified with Pere Marquette Council and the National Union. On Aug. 16, 1892, Mr. Stolz was united in marriage to Miss Susan Salentine, of Milwaukee. A daughter, Anita, has been born to bless this union. She is now a student at the Milwaukee Downer College.

Memoirs of Milwaukee County by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 pg. 358



Candidate for Town of Wauwatosa
A.L. Story, Republican candidate for treasurer, was born in Wauwatosa over forty years ago and has always lived in the town. He and his brother from Milwaukee, are associated under the firm name of Story Brothers in the stone quarrying business. He has long been active as a republican in political circles. He is respected and will make a capable official. This is his first try for public office.

From Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899



See article on William Strothman  


Candidate for Wauwatosa office
A.E. Stroud, Democratic candidate for justice of the peace, is about 60 years old and has frequently been a candidate in the county and city of Milwaukee. He held the position as justice in this town several years ago. He lives on Vliet St.

Source: Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899



FRANK W. SUELFLOW, the senior member of the firm of F. W. Suelflow & Sons, dealers in realty, loans, and insurance, was born in Germantown, Washington County, Wis., on Feb. 4,1846, and is a son of John and Wilhelmina Suelflow. The father migrated to Washington County in 1843, and resided there until the time of his death, which occurred in his eighty-third year. He was one of the most enthusiastic and enterprising farmers of the community. Mr. Suelflow received the educational advantages to be obtained in the parochial and public schools of Germantown, and while still a youth came to Milwaukee. He arrived here on April 18,1863, and immediately started his apprenticeship as a cabinet-maker. This work supplied him with an occupation and means of livelihood for a period of five years, and during the five years immediately following he was employed as a journeyman carpenter. On March 8, 1873, he embarked in the insurance, loan and realty business, which has proved so prosperous ever since. Mr. Suelflow’s inherent qualities of thrift and enterprise, a heritage from his Teutonic ancestry, have made an excellent financial success of the venture. In political matters Mr. Seulflow is a staunch adherent of the principles of the Republican party, and as the successful candidate of that party served as the representative of his district in the lower house of the legislature in the session of 1893, despite the fact that he election of 1892 was a Democratic landslide in Wisconsin. In religious matters he is prominently identified as a member of St. John’s German Lutheran Church. On Oct. 3, 1867, Mr. Suelflow was united in marriage to Miss Mina Buth, a daughter of John and Mary Buth, of Germantown. Six children were the issue of this union. Charles and Walter, thirty-nine and thirty-four years of age, respectively, are associated with their father in business; Clara, thirty-two years old, is the wife of George Booth; Hattie, thirty years of age, is now Mrs. Henry O’Neil; Alfred, twenty-eight years old, is one of the partners in the firm of Schroeder & Suelflow, steam heaters and plumbers, and Frank H., now twenty-five years of age, is paying teller of the West Side Bank. Mrs. Suelflow died on Dec. 3, 1905, and on Oct. 26, 1907, Mr. Suelflow was united in marriage to Miss Sophia Loibl. Mr. Suelflow is a member of the Milwaukee Real Estate Association, the Milwaukee Board of Fire Underwriters, and of the Millioki Club.

Source: Milwaukee County Biographies Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vol. I & II by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 pg 590



JOHN I. SUMINSKI, who is engaged as a funeral director, embalmer and liveryman, is a native of Milwaukee, having been born on Oct. 28, 1878. He is a son of Martin and Eva (Budnicht) Suminski, both of whom were born in Germany of Polish ancestry. The parents came to the United States in 1873, locating in Milwaukee, which city has since been their home. For the past sixteen years the father has been engaged in the liquor business, but for many years previous to that time he was in the employ of the municipality. Eight children were born to the parents, of whom the subject of this sketch is the third in the order of birth. Rosa, the eldest, is a wife of Stanley Szafranski; the others are Paul; Martha, now Mrs. A. Skiba; Frank; Germain; Hattie; and Helen. John I. Suminski received his early educational advantages at St. Hedwig’s Catholic parochial school. After attaining his majority he was engaged in various occupations until 1905. In that year he embarked in the undertaking business at 878 Racine Street. He remained there but eleven months, however, and removed thence to his present commodious quarters at 331 Pulaski Street, adding a livery business to the concern. Since his removal to his present location he has met with well-merited success in a financial way. Fraternally he is associated with the Cadets of St. Stanislaus, The Knights of St. Casimir, St. Stanislaus Society, St. Albert’s Society, St. Michael’s Society, and St. Peter’s and St. Paul’s Society. His religious relations are with St. Hedwig’s Polish Catholic Church and in politics he is an ardent supporter of the principles of the Democratic Party. On Oct. 27,1903, Mr. Suminski was united in marriage to Anastasia, daughter of Frank Landowski of Milwaukee.

Milwaukee County Biographies Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vol. I & II by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 page 468



Adolph A. Suppan, 95, considered the father of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's School of Fine Arts, now the Peck School of the Arts. "It was the state's first school of fine arts, and its curriculum - cutting across all of the arts - was unique in the nation," Jay Joslyn, of the Milwaukee Sentinel, wrote in 1968. Suppan died Feb. 16, days after a heart attack.



Lake Captain. Residence No. 446 Pierce street. He was born in Sunland, Durham Co., England, in 1837. He is the son of Daniel and Anna (Wilson) Swinburn. At the age of 9 he shipped as an apprentice on board the brig "TERSHA." He sailed four years on in the Mediterranean service and six years out of New York. During a few months of that time he was aboard the ocean side-wheel steamship "WASHINGTON" and afterwards sailed one year out of Buffalo. He then came to this city and has followed the same vocation. he has served in every capacity from cabin boy to captain, and for ten years has commanded a vessel. He is part owner of the the "JAMES GARRETT." He was married in January, 1875, to Elizabeth Miller, who was born in the State of New York, but came to this city with her parents when an infant, they being among the early settlers. They have three children, Edward D. the oldest, Annie E., and Julia M.

Source: History of Milwaukee County, 1881



MAX SZARZYNSKI, a pharmacist of prominence at 786 First Avenue, was born in the village of Zaborowo, province of Posen, Prussian Poland, on Oct. 11 1859, a son of Charles and Frances (Fryzewski) Szarzynski. Until he had attained his majority he lived in his native land, receiving his educational advantages in the gymnasium. For two years he taught school, and in 1884 he came to the United States. He located in Milwaukee, becoming associated in business with his brother Charles, from whom he acquired his knowledge of the drug business. After three years he opened a pharmacy of his own at 410 Mitchell Street. He continued in business at this place until 1890, leaving it to enter his present shop on First Avenue. His success is ample evidence of his industry and honesty. Mr. Szarzynski was married on May 15, 1887, to Miss Catherine Kleser. To this union have been born two children, Mathias and Lucy. The family is communicants of St. Stanislaus Polish Church and the father is a member of the Sokol Society, the Polish Alliance, the Polish Business Association and the Polish Sharpshooters. In his political relations he is affiliated with the Republican Party.

Milwaukee County Biographies Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vol. I & II by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 pg 224