From "History of Waukesha County" by Western Historical Company, Chicago 1880Back to Main Index
JERRY ANGELL, farmer, Sec. 24; P.O. Eagle; born in Vermillion, LaSalle Co., Ill., April 5, 1855; son of Henry and Almira Angell. Henry A., was a native of Rhode Island, and his wife of Massachusetts; they settled in LaSalle Co., as early 1832, and were the parents of nine children--Isaac, Benjamin W., Albert, Hannah J., Everett, Ann, Welcome, James and Jerry; the subject of this sketch was educated in his native town, where he lived until January, 1878, when he settled on this farm, having an interest here, besides an interest in the Illinois homestead; is a Republican in politics.
C. B. BANNISTER, homeopathic physician, Eagle; born in Pownal, Bennington Co., Vt., April 6, 1817; after graduating at Union Academy, Bennington, he managed his mother's farm a few years, and in 1839, went to Madison Co., N. Y.; began the study of medicine with Dr. Samuel Fuller, but, owing to impaired health, gave it up and bought grain for a short time in Fayetteville, N. Y.; returning to his native State, he farmed it there two or three years, and, in April, 1845, settled in Mukwonago on a farm; resumed his medical studies with Dr. L. Nash and practiced while owning the farm, which he sold in 1866 and, at the request of several residents, settled in Eagle, where he has since resided in active and successful practice. Married, 1841, Miss Maria W. Lawrence, of Saratoga Co., N. Y., who died June 20, 1878, leaving two children-Charles, who enlisted in February 1865, in the 46th w. V. I., serving until the close of hostilities; he married Miss Esther Morrow, of West Troy, Wis., and has three sons-Harvey, Byron Co and Charles, Jr.; is now a railroad man in Troy Center, Wis.; his only sister, Venora, died Aug. 23, 1878. The Doctor married Miss Mary P. Rowland, of Chester County, Penn., July 9, 1879. In politics Democratic, he was Superintendent of Schools and Town Commissioner under the old system, besides serving on school boards, juries, etc. Dr. Bannister well represents the energetic type of the pioneers from New England.
JONATHAN BETTS, farmer, Sec. 33; P. O. Eagle; born in Elsen, Norfolk, England, September 1813; came to America in 1830, and, after four years spent in Rome, N. Y., removed to La Salle Co., Ill.; engaged in stage-driving in Illinois and Indiana about three years; settled in Eagle July 12, 1838, in company with F. Draper, they buying and farming 240 acres together till 1841, when Mr. Betts, took eighty acres on the east side of the road; he has since bought eighty acres of Government land. These were about the first men to locate in these parts, and, as they had six yoke of cattle, soon became known throughout the town, Mr. B. driving breaking team about five years and turning over thousands of acres of Wisconsin virgin soil; his first furrow turned on Sec. 28, and his first twenty acres of wheat sown among the burr oaks which sparsely covered their claim. Feb. 17, 1844, he married Miss Lucina Ewer, a native of Marcellus, Wayne Co., N. Y., he having previously lived with the Draper family in their log house. When Mr. Betts built his barn, he bought the lumber from the first large consignment, ever sent over the M. & P. du C. R. R. Mr. and Mrs. B. have seven living children-Mary J., Susan A., Alice M., Melissa A., Charles M., Fremont A. and Daisy L.; the elder son, a carpenter by trade, married; Dec. 30, 1879, Miss Jennie Coulter, a native of the State of New York and a resident of Troy Center; the younger son is also on the old homestead, and all are Republicans in politics.
E. L. BOVEE, merchant, Eagle; born in Amsterdam, Montgomery Co., N. Y., in 1833; son of M. J. and Elizabeth M. Bovee, who settled in Mukwonago, June 8, 1843, locating on a farm now owned by Joseph Sprague, in 1844; there were nine children-Sarah J., Emily M., Benedict A., William R., Marvin H., Elizabeth, Holsey W., Edward L. and Hattie M. Mathias J. Bovee was one of the historic pioneers of Waukesha Co.; a staunch Democrat he had held many positions prior to his election to the U. S. House of Representatives, during Jackson's administration; selling his farm he finally settled in the village of Eagle, where he died Sept. 12, 1872, aged 79; his wife still lives to furnish this sketch, in good health, at 87. E. L. Bovee resided on the farm until Nov. 4, 1876, when he began business in Eagle, dealing exclusively in groceries, and doing a good business at the manufacture of sausage during the winters. Married in Eagle, Nov. 4, 1859, Miss Elizabeth B. Hellier, a native of Bradford, England; they have five children-Dewit C., Herbert and Halsey twins, Marvin and Emily L. Mr. Bovee is a Democrat.
M. F. BRADY, farmer, Secs. 9 and 10; P. O. Eagle; born in Leahary, County Cavan, Ireland Nov. 1, 1818; came to America in 1842, locating in Kirkland, Oneida Co., N. Y.; during his first harvest here he worked for $8 per month, taking "store pay;" from this time until 1855, he worked for three different men, but on the same section a slow and hard but sure way to get his start in life; reaching Eagle in the fall of 1855, Mr. Brady bought 160 acres, which is still his; on this was a 12x12 log house, where he and wife lived several years, doing the honors of a new country to the many "Down East" friends who called upon them in looking out homes for themselves, often keeping ten or a dozen over night in this narrow house with its leaky roof of warped oak shakes; as a result of this lowly beginning, Mr. B. has his farm well improved, several good barns, one costing $600, and a large and well-built farm house; not a bad showing for the young man who reached America penniless. Married in Kirkland, in 1852, Miss Catherine McCabe, of his native town; they have six children-Thomas J., John J., Peter, Mary A., Katie and Maggie J. The family are Roman Catholics, Mr. Brady having served as Supervisor twelve of fifteen years, also serving on Grand and Petit Juries, and as Justice of the Peace; in politics votes independently.
JOHN BURDEN, farmer; Sec. 24; P. O. Eagle; born in Cornwall, England, Aug. 25, 1816; son of John and Sorda (Roe) Burden; spent his early life in England, and married Miss Mary Ann, daughter of Thomas Mathers, in 1841; they came to America in 1857, with a family of seven children-John, Samuel, Mary A., Grace, Edward, William and Susanna (a twin born with William deceased); Celia, the youngest, was born in Palmyra, where the family lived for the first two years. Removing to the town of Waukesha, he paid $50 down for 80 acres of land, this leaving him 25 cents; at the end of nine well-spent years, he exchanged farms with Hy Kipp, and by giving him a $7,000 mortgage, obtained his valuable farm of 232 acres; Mr. Burden paid 100 cents on every dollar of this debt, and has just bought 128 acres more of W. B. Sprague; Mr. B. had to borrow $12.50 in order to remove his family from Milwaukee to Palmyra, 23 years ago; his flock of over 200 merino sheep is second to none in the town, their average clip per head in 1879 being seven pounds. Mr. B. is a Democrat, his family attending the M. E. Church, Eagle.
HENRY BURNELL, farmer, Sec. 1; P. O. North Prairie; born in 1832, in Yorkshire, England; son of John and Ann (Walgate) Burnell, who came to America in 1834, and to Waukesha Co. in 1837, his father having bought Government land in Mukwonago, in 1836, where the subject of this sketch resided until 1859, when he began with 70 acres of his present farm of 305; besides enlarging his farm, Mr. Burnell has built the largest basement barn in Eagle, 30x96, besides a spacious and elegant residence; has brought this land to a high state of cultivation, set out shade and ornamental trees and made a most successful record as one of Waukesha County's progressive farmers; is an attendant of the M. E. Church, and a Democrat in politics.
LAMBERT COLYER, farmer; P. O. Eagle; born in Sullivan, Madison Co., N. Y., 1819. When of school-boy age, Mr. Colyer was at work in the pineries of his native State, living and working there in Onondaga and Oswego Counties till 1840, when he made his first visit to Wisconsin, buying 120 acres of Government land in Secs. 10 and 15, Mukwonago; returning to New York State that fall, he stayed there until 1843, when he came with his wife to Milwaukee; his first business in the West was in teaming through Wisconsin and Northern Illinois, with a horse team; it often required ten hours to drive fourteen miles in the Milwaukee woods, he carrying many a load of supplies to the Indians in the region of Winnebago Lake, and many a family into the wilds to begin pioneer life; a favorite feeding place with him used to be the open prairie, now the site of Juneau, carrying his own provisions and horse-feed, and using an open wagon; this was the way in which he earned enough to make a beginning on his land, which he did in the fall of 1845; the hardships endured by a man who left home and began life's battle at 19, nerved him for his work here, and, as a result of this, he has the old Mukwonago farm, every acre of which has been cultivated, with a large house and two good barns, 10 acres of timber in Vernon, and the old Sherman estate, 144 acres; the family residence here is a large two-story hip-roofed house, with wings, fitted up in modern style, besides all needed barns, carriage-house, etc.; his Pierce County farm was recently sold for $6,000. Few have done better than this man who reached Wisconsin thirty-seven years ago, with just $15. He married, in 1840, Miss Martha Cunningham, who died in 1879, leaving eight children-Francis A., William Lee, Mary J., Charles H., Elgathe, Martha, De Witt C. and Delia E.; on the 15th of March, 1880, Mr. Colyer married Mrs. Sarah Holmes, a resident of East Troy, and a native of Oswego Co., N. Y.
WILLIAM CRANK, butcher and saloon, Eagle; born in Eagle, Waukesha Co., Wis., Dec. 22, 1852; is a son of Anton and Agatha Crank, who settled here in 1845 or 1846; having lost both parents at 14, Mr. Crank learned the trade of butcher, and followed it one year in Eagle; he then spent a year in Chippewa Falls, Wis., and, on his return, was in the employ of W. A. Vanderpool one year, and, in 1874, opened a saloon of his own, where he is now located, though he occupied part of the Eagle Hotel about four years; in March, 1879, he built his large two-story saloon; he also owns a house and lot near it. He married, Oct. 22, 1872, Miss Alsina Marcley, of Eagle, whose parents were also early settlers here.
FREDERICK GOSE, farmer, Secs. 121 and 17; P. O. Eagle; born in Westphalia, Prussia, 1820; spent three years in the army, and on the 25th of March, 1848, left the Fatherland for America, reaching Milwaukee July 3, 1848; a tailor by trade, he worked four and a half years there; then settled on 80 acres of his present farm of 220 acres; it was then wild land, destitute of buildings; he, having erected a tasteful house, good barn, etc., married, 1845, Miss Elizabeth Whiffen, of his native province; they have nine children-Millie, Frederick, John, Carrie, Theresa, Martin, Libbie, Ettie, and Katie, having lost four children. The family are Roman Catholics. Politics, Democratic; Mr. Gose has been Supervisor and Treasurer of Eagle several years; has about sixty good sheep, besides horses and other stock.
MARTIN HELGESEN, farmer, Sec. 1; P. O. North Prairie; born in the town of Ottawa, Waukesha Co., Wis., Oct. 15, 1844; son of Helge Helgesen, who settled in Ottawa in an early day and bought his farm of the Government, being one of the sturdy pioneers who were not afraid to eat bread frozen so hard as to require breaking with a hammer. His son was educated in his native town, and, in 1874, went into business at North Prairie Station, after a year settling on his present farm of 126 acres, 40 of which are in Ottawa; this live young farmer has added to the house, remodeled and enlarged his barn, put up a wind-mill and generally improved his farm. He married, Oct. 21, 1873, Miss Sarah, only daughter of Seymour Frayer, Esq. Of Ottawa; they have three children-Alice M., Henrietta and Mary E. Mr. Helgesen supports men and principles, not political parties, and has the usual stock and crops.
CHARLES HILL, farmer, Sec. 1; P. O. Eagle; born in Upwell, Cambridgeshire, Eng., Dec. 31, 1836; at 18 he left for America, and was for eighteen months in Fairfield, Herkimer Co., N. Y.; located in Eagle, 1855, and, gradually working his way up, bought a farm of the Government, in Dunn Co., Wis.; exchanged this in 1865 for 73 acres of his present farm; has added 200 acres on Secs. 1, 2, and 12; remodeled, enlarged and painted his house; re-sided and placed on a basement wall his 28x60 foot barn, and made a most pleasant home. The record of this man is one of steady and honorable progress; married, Dec. 18, 1861, Miss Henrietta Trow, of Eagle, by whom he has two children-Ellsworth and Lutie. Mrs. Hill is a member of the M. E. Church. As a farmer, Mr. Hill has 150 fine-wool sheep, with other stock, and returns his wheat crop of 1879 at 700 bushels.
A. R. HINKLEY, farmer, Secs. 11, 12 and 14; P. O. Eagle; born in Lebanon, Grafton Co., N. H., Oct. 23, 1810; was educated in his native town, and lived on his father's farm till he was 21, when he spent a year in Massachusetts. In August, 1836, he landed at Milwaukee. Wisconsin comprised nearly all of Iowa, then; and Milwaukee consisted of the two-story house of Juneau, near the present Mitchell block, a small jail built on "stilts," and a new houses on Wisconsin street; the heart of the city was a marsh, where the Indian boys used to shoot blackbirds with bow and arrow. About the 18th of August, Mr. H., his brother Hy. A., Mr. Charles Rayness, and Andrew Schofield, left the village with ox teams, and spent the second night in a log shanty on the present site of Waukesha, and the next night at the cabin of David Orrendorf, who had built near Judge Field's race course, Mukwonago; a terrible rainstorm arose that night, and the travelers passed a miserable night, on bedding laid on poles placed across the corners of the roofless shanty; next morning, Mr. H., with his brother and Mr. S., started on an Indian trail for Eagle Prairie; their first view of it was from a hill, now in sight from the residence of Mr. Hinkley; reaching a large spring on his farm, they were so struck with the beauty of the locality that each started for a tree, knife in hand; Mr. Hinkley cut his name first, at which Mr. S., a Quaker, exclaimed, "Ahira, thee is quick with thy knife!" on condition that Mr. H. lend him $100 he agreed to look further; thus was made the first claim by an actual settler; Mr. Hinkley that fall built a log house, which still stands, near the spring, and which was the first built in Eagle. In 1838, Mr. Hinkley returned to Plainfield, N. H., and married Miss Mary Daniels, who left a mansion for her husband's 12x12 log cabin, which had to shelter all their furniture, bedding, etc. Mr. H. now has 400 acres, have sold 240; the old log house is supplanted by a handsome stone farmhouse, built in 1848, which for years was the only roomy and complete one in town; is frame barn, built in 1842, was the second on built here. Mr. and Mrs. Hinkley have seven living children-Leonard D., Anna E., Frank D., Mary L., Emmeline J., Laura W., and Grace L. Death has never yet visited the house of this hardy pioneer. Mr. and Mrs. H. are almost life-long Methodists; he being a staunch Whig Republican, who has held various town offices.
EDWARD P. HINKLEY, farmer, Sec. 10; P. O. Eagle; born, Dec. 29, 1839, in China, St. Clair Co., Mich.; his parents, Oramel and Phebe (Earle) Hinkley, were Vermonters; in June, 1840, they came to Eagle; lived that summer with A. R. Hinkley, building that fall a log house on land which Mr. H. had not entered at the Land Office; a certain man on learning this, started for Milwaukee on Horseback, but was distance by Mr. H. on foot; this sturdy old pioneer reached the town, entered his land, and footed it home, stopping only for a meal in town. At his death, Aug. 18, 1855, he left seven children-Edward P., Emily E., Urania E., Albert A., Urzelia, William H., and Charles O. Mr. Hinkley lived on the homestead until Aug. 21, 1862, when he enlisted in Co. G, 28th W. V. I.; was with his regiment in the Yazoo Pass and White River expeditions, in the fight at Helena and the capture of Little Rock; was then, for thirteen months, at Pine Pluff, Ark., participating in the Saline River Expedition and the battle at Mt. Elba; the regiment was then sent to Mobile via New Orleans, investing Spanish forts, and being thirteen days under fire; after the capture of Mobile and the forts, the regiment made a 200-mile raid north in Alabama, and took the rebel navy yard at Ray's Landing; the next move was to Texas; Mr. Hinkley, being sick at Brazos, was honorably discharged in August, 1865; he says that his regiment did more steamboat riding than any in the service. On his return, he bought 80 acres of his present farm, where he settled in 1872; has added 40 acres; also owning his share of the old homestead. Married, July 4, 1872, Miss Salena, daughter of William and Ann Ardiss, of Lincolnshire, Eng.; they have three children-Hubert A., Percival E., and Myrtle G. The mother of Mr. H. died Feb. 27, 1879. He is a Republican, and, with his wife, a member of the M. E. Church. Is devoting much attention to growing and manufacturing sorghum, his mill turning out from 1,000 to 2,000 gallons per annum.
FRANKLIN HUNT, farmer, Sec. 34; P. O. Eagle; born May 2, 1808, in Brandon, Rutland Co., Vt.; his early life was spent in his native State, where he had poor facilities for education; at 27 he went to Milton, a few miles south of Boston, remaining there two years; he then went to Warren, Penn.; going, in 1838, down the Ohio and Mississippi, via the Gulf, to Texas; not a building stood then on the site of Galveston; engaging in speculation, he, after two years, came north to Fredonia, N. Y., where he farmed it eight years. Resided in Erie, Penn., from 1848 to 1854, when he spent a few months in the towns of Lake and Eagle, then owning the Ray farm, in East Troy, for a year; the next eight years were spent on a farm in Mukwonago; settled on his present farm, of 70 acres, in 1865; it is well improved, and has excellent buildings. Mr. Hunt married Miss Cordelia M. Biggars, a native of Waterford, Erie Co., Penn., she living in that historic town until the marriage, in 1852. Their adopted son, Peter W. Sykes, was born in Manlius, Onondaga Co., N. Y., Feb. 14, 1838; came to Wisconsin when 8 years of age, and has been with Mr. Hunt since he was 21. Married, Oct. 24, 1877, Miss Amelia J. Williams, of Rome, Jefferson Co., Wis., by whom he has a daughter, Katie L. Messrs. Hunt and Sykes are liberal in their political and religious views.
WILLIAM LE FEVRE, farmer; P.O. Eagle; born in Sherbrooke, Canada; son of C.F. and Mary Le Fevre, who located in New York City when he was an infant, he being educated here and in Clinton, N.Y.; the family reached Milwaukee in 1843, his father buying a farm two miles from the then village; this he still owns, it now being within the limits of a city of 100,000 inhabitants. In 1858, William Le Fevre came to Eagle and bought 160 acres of Joseph Sprague; has since bought and sold various tracts, buying his present homestead of William Kline, who had built the handsome residence overlooking the village, and other buildings which Mr. Le Fevre has enlarged and improved; he began breeding pure-blooded Spanish, Merino sheep at the time of his settlement in the country, and had constantly improved the stock, dealing with the best-known Vermont breeders, also with the Loomis Bros., N. Prairie and T. Tratt, of Whitewater; he now owns seventy, but has had flocks of over 200; about 1875, he bought his thoroughbred Jersey stock, of H. Durand, Racine, Wis., and has since bred grades, having eighteen head. In politics, Mr. Le Fevre is a Republican, and has ever been an outspoken temperance man; a few years ago, Mr. Theodore Underhill, the Democratic Chairman of the Town Board, resigned, when Mr. Le Fevre was appointed to fill the vacancy, and to enforce the license laws; a certain class of Democratic element questions the legality of his appointment, which question was settled by the Supreme Court of the United State(sic), which decided that Mr. Le Fevre was the de-facto Chairman.
EDMUND LINS, proprietor of meat market and saloon, Eagle; was born in Prussia, Aug. 10, 1827; was educated in the Fatherland, and did three years good service in her army; coming to America in 1856, he was in business in Milwaukee until 1861, when he spent one year on a farm near Eagleville; in 1862, he and J. Boie, began the present business in Eagle; a farm having been bought by them, Mr. B. retired to it in 1871; Mr. Lins has the only meat market in the village; he built his handsome brick residence in 1876; owns a 60-acre farm in Sec 16, and is prospering. He was married in 1863, to Miss Henrietta Macholdt, by whom he has five children--Edward, Lena, Lizzie, Christopher and Mary. Mr. Lins is a Roman Catholic, and a Democrat.
J.A. LINS, merchant, Eagle; born in Prussia, Oct. 3, 1840. Spent his early life and was educated in his native land, and came to America in 1857, locating in Milwaukee, where he remained until April, 1861, when he enlisted in the 5th W.V.I.; was with the grand Army of the Potomac, participating in the Battles of Williamsburg, the siege of Yorktown, and Peninsular campaign, Antietam, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, North Anna River, and the deadly assault on Cold Harbor, where Mr. Lins was short through the right side and badly wounded; was confined in hospital in Alexandria, Va., from June 1 until Aug. 15, when he returned to Wisconsin, his time having expired July 13 previously. In company with his brother he began the butcher's business in Eagle, fall of 1864. After three years entered in to merchantile business, where he carries a very complete stock of general merchandise; also having another store for clothing and gents; furnishing goods; is also the builder and owner of the large store occupied by Lins & Schmitz. Married Miss Mary Witte, of Eagle, 1873.
WOLFGANG LOIBL, farmer, Sec. 20; P.O. Eagle; he was born Oct. 31, 1823, in Bavaria, where he was educated and where he lived until August, 1847, when he came to America; spent over two years in Utica, N.Y.; and nearly a year in Milwaukee; settled on Eagle Prairie in 1851, and began life here as a day laborer; worked his way up, and now has 136 1/2 acres of land, which he has cleared, broken and improved himself. His wife Miss Catherine Waas, was born in Bavaria, Aug. 31, 1825; the have eight children--John, Catharine, Mary, Anton, Theresa, Anna, Henry, Magdalen. The family are Roman Catholics; in politics he is a Democrat. Mr. Loibl has been Supervisor, Constable and Town Treasurer.
ANDREW MCCABE, farmer, Sec. 11; P.O. Eagle; born in the County of Monahan, Ireland, in 1826; came to America at 19, and lived as a laborer for seven years in Oneida Co., N.Y.; in 1852, he settled on 80 acres of his present farm in Eagle, on which was a log house; to get his start here he worked two months for $10, $8 of which bought his first plow; he gave mortgage of $400 on the land, and begun with nothing but health and pluck. He was married in 1854, to Miss Amorett Cole, a resident of Eagle, and a native of Oneida Co., N.Y.; they began life in the log house, which still stands as a monument of their past life of laborious privations; for then years Mr. McCabe, having no well, used to draw all the water used in the family from a spring brook, a mile distant; his next step was to buy 49 acres, going $800 in debt; this gentleman was at one time paying 12 per cent on a debt of $1,500; he now owns 249 acres, has built a roomy frame farm-house, with stables, etc., and a wind-mill now raising well water at his door; Mr. and Mrs. McCabe have four children--George E., Alice, Eva, and Willie; he is a Roman Catholic, and a Democrat.
FRANCIS G. PARKS, Postmaster, Eagle; born in Addison Co., Vt., June 1, 1824; after receiving a common-school and a partial academic course of instruction at Brandon, Vt., he taught several terms of school, and in 1846, removed to ST. Johnsbury, Vt., where he was in charge of a branch of the famous Fairbank Scale Works for eight years; Mr. Parks represented the town in the Legislature of his native State in 1854 and in 1855; he settled in Mukwonago, removing to Eagle in 1863; is in the real estate and insurance business, acting for the Phoenix, Hartford of Conn. Home, New York, the Etna Fire and Life, and the Northwestern of Milwaukee. A staunch Republican in politics; he was first elected Justice of the Peace in 1863 or 1864, and has served ten or more years; has been Chairman, etc., of Eagle, and was a member of the Legislature of Wisconsin in 1873; Mr. Parks has devoted much time to the study of law, and is nearly always retained on one side or the other in local lawsuits, but says he is credited with possessing more legal knowledge than belongs to him; he succeeded J. L. Perry as Postmaster of Eagle in July, 1874. He was married in Mukwonago in 1855, to Miss Susan E. Webb; they have three children-Frederick W., Mattie E. and Luella M. The son is in a Palmyra, Wis., drug store; the daughters acting as their father's deputies.
JONATHAN PARSONS, deceased; born, April 26, 1811, in Coos Co., N. H.; his parents, Jonathan and Lovisa P., had nine children, Jonathan and several of his brothers migrating West, to Cattaraugus Co. N. Y. In 1836, Lamas, Jonathan and Jerry Parsons, accompanied by their sire, settled in Waukesha Co.; the father settled on the Barber farm; Lamas on the present farm of Joseph Sprague; Jerry on that of J. H. Pitcher, and Jonathan entered a half-section on 25, in Eagle; William Sherman, a brother-in-law, settled about the same time on the Burden farm; Jonathan Parsons built, 1840, the first frame house in the town of Eagle, and one of the first in the county; married, 1841, Miss Jane Cross, then of Southport, Wis.; they had six children born in this historic old house-Henry, Edwin, George (deceased), Horace, Gertrude and Mary. None of the pioneers of this town made a better record than Jonathan Parsons; in 1842, he was in the Territorial Legislature, and any and every year might be found working for the best interests of his fellow-men; in 1859, he built a handsome brick residence, where he quietly spent the remainder of a useful and honorable life, dying in June, 1876; he had for years been a consistent Methodist, and the use of $500 of his property was willed to the M. E. Sabbath School, Eagle. Henry Parsons was born Jan. 6, 1842 and, after a course in the old Jericho schoolhouse, was sent to Lawrence University for a year; after trying farming and canvassing, he enlisted, January, 1864, in the 9th Ill. V. C.; this regiment was badly cut to pieces, in the sadly remembered Sturgis raid, and was in the Tupelo raid, also in fights at Oxford, Holly Springs, etc; engaged with Hood's pickets at Florence Ala., and fought at Lawrenceberg, Columbus and Franklin; after two days' terrific fighting at Nashville, the boys drove Hood to the river, and, after a raid into Alabama, were mustered out. During the next thirteen years Mr. P. was in business in Chicago, eight years in the employ of Hart, Asten & Co.; married in Chicago, November 25, 1867, Miss Chloe, daughter of James and Adeline Coe, of Warren Co., Ill.; their only son, Jonathan, was born October 1, 1878, or 110th year to a day from the day of his grandsire's birth. Since leaving Chicago, Mr. Parsons has resided on the homestead; politics Republican.
T. W. PITTMAN, farmer, Secs. 21 and 22; P. O. Eagle; born in New York City, Dec. 2, 1798; was educated in his native city, and early became a speculator; resided about eight years in Newbern, N. C.; came to Waukesha Co. May, 1844, and at once settled where he is now. But little of the land was then entered, and the old Janesville and Milwaukee was about the only road; Waukesha was Sol. Junease's trading post, with a few houses; Mr. P. soon built a part of his present house, which was the first frame structure in the vicinity, and is the oldest in the village-sowed wheat that fall, and his yield from 65 acres was 1,600 bushels. Dr. Bigelow had a mill at Eagleville, but on a small scale; beginning with 480 acres; Mr. P. has bought and sold over 2,000 acres of school and other lands. Eagle was platted by him about 1852, and at the time it was proposed to call it Pittman, but he insisted upon the present name; was Station Agent here ten years, and also Postmaster, besides Town Treasurer, Assessor and Supervisor; politics, a stalwart Democrat; owns 600 acres and a beautifully situated home on the outskirts of the village; married in Amsterdam, N. Y., 1836, Miss Sarah J., daughter of M. J. Bovee, she being a native of Amsterdam; they have had four children-Matthias B., now a druggist at Boscobel, Wis.; Emma (deceased), Noria (Mrs. Harvey Clemons), and Sarah (Mrs. William McWilliams). In transferring land and village lots, this old couple have probably signed more deeds than any in Waukesha County.
JAMES V. SHARP, farmer, Sec. 24; P. O. Eagle; born in Halcott, Greene Co., N.Y., Feb. 25, 1840; his parents, John and Betsey (Vanderburg) Sharp, were farmers; he received his schooling and lived in his native town until he was 22, when he settled in LaSalle Co. Ill.; was for six years a farmer, and two years in a meat market; is also a carpenter, and worked at his tradeboth in Illinois and Wisconsin. Married in his native town of Vermillion, LaSalle Co. Ill., Sept. 2, 1868, Miss Hannah J., daughter of Henry and Almira (Hall) Angell. The first few months of their wedded life was spent in Muskegon Co., Mich.; they settling in Eagle, 1869, where Mr. S., owned a house and 5 acres; selling this, he settled on his present farm of 80 acres in 1876; on this he has built a barn, set out trees and made other improvements. Mr. and Mrs. Sharp have four children - Durell B., Mabel, Leroy K. and John H., all born in Eagle; Mr. S., is a Democrat.
ENOCH SHERMAN, farmer, Sec. 33; P. O. Eagle; born in Rupert, Bennington Co., Vt., Feb. 24, 1826, son of Sterling and Jane (Nobles) Sherman. Attaining his majority in Vermont, he in 1847 located on a farm four miles south of Waukesha; he and S. M. Murdock were then in partnership on a 240-acre farm till 1856, though Mr. S. and wife spent 1851 on the Andrews farm in Mukwonago; at the time of his settlement on his present farm (1856) only 60 acres were under cultivation; 100 acres are now well improved, the remaining 60 being pasture and timber. Mr. Sherman is now completely remodeling his home. He married Miss Lauraette, daughter of Nathaniel and Laura (Jones) Walton, of Batavia, N. Y.; the family settled in Waukesha in 1836, where she married Mr. S., Dec. 12, 1849; they have three sons - Walton S., Wm. H. and Jas. A.; the eldest is a farmer in Eagle, the second is travelling (sic) for a Milwaukee firm, and the youngest is on the homestead. Mr. Sherman is a Republican, and a progressive farmer who has devoted his land to grain and stock.
JOSEPH SPRAGUE, farmer, Sec. 26; P. O. Eagle; born in Summit Co., Ohio, in 1825; is a son of Dr. F. A. and Bridget Sprague, who settled on Sec. 25, in Eagle, in 1842; buying 200 acres of John Parsons; Dr. S. built a frame house, plastered outside and in, which was, doubtless, the first in the township; this is well remembered by the pioneers of that day. Joseph S. married, March 15, 1848, Miss Ann E., daughter of Hon. M. J. Bovec, one of the first settlers here, buying a farm of Edward Skelton the next year; he resided upon it six years, then bought his present farm of 200 acres; it was then broken, and on it were two barns and a log house; Mr. Sprague has rebuilt and enlarged the barns, and replaced the log house in 1860 with a spacious and elegant farmhouse. Mrs. Sprague died Oct. 10, 1875, leaving two children, Theodore J. and Ambrose F.; on the 8th of May, 1878, he married Miss Mary, daughter of Patrick Sheridan, of Mukwonago. As a breeder of thoroughbred Spanish merino sheep Mr. F. has made his mark during the past thirty years, keeping from one hundred and fifty to two hundred and fifty; he has never competed for premiums, but, by dealing with the foremost breeders, has raised his flock to a standard. Mr. S. is a staunch Republican.
EBENEZER THOMAS, farmer, Sec. 13; P.O. Eagle; born May 11, 1806, in Wales, where his younger life was spent; came to America in 1829, being among the early settlers in Cass Co., Michigan. Married in 1833 Miss Elizabeth D. Wolf, a native of Canada, whose parents settled in Cass Co. when she was a babe. In the fall of 1836 Mr. and Mrs. Thomas left of Wisconsin with teams and wagons, accompanied by a young man who drove their stock; they reached Eagle Prairie in October, 1836, building on their claim and present homestead, the first house built by whites, and were the first family to settle here; this was a shake-roofed log house, with a puncheon floor and a stick and mud chimney built on the outside; this was a true pioneer family, as their flour, costing from $15 to $35 per barrel, was drawn from Milwaukee over roads cut through the woods by Mr. Thomas himself; the roads of that day were Indian trails, Mr. T. having the only horse drawn teams in town for some time. Mr and Mrs. Thomas have nine children-Daniel, Ransom, Fanny, Jacob, Mary, Ebenezer, Orilla, Isabella and Benj. F. Mr. T. has prospered in the good things of this world, has sold half his land, and now owns 160 acres well improved with excellent buildings; in this pleasant home of to-day the old couple delight in recalling the memories of the pioneer life. For many years past both have been active and consistent members of the M.E. Church; father and sons being Republicans.
THOMAS TROW, farmer, Sec. 11; P. O. Eagle; born in Wales, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Trow; in 1832 or 1833 he came to America, working in the woolen mills of New York State until 1843, when, with his wife he settled on Coon Island, so named by D. H. Melendy; Mr. Trow bought a small farm here, living in a "partnership" shanty with Mr. E. Miller; his first crop of wheat was a failure and the second grew in the field before it was threshed, this being done with flails; his first cart-wheels were made by sawing off the end of a huge oak log, and in this cart the wheat was hauled with oxen to Milwaukee, Mr. Trow sleeping in the open air when night overtook him; having been eaten out of house and home by land seekers, he and his devoted wife were obliged to subsist on crust coffee and bread made of middlings for some time, wintering in the old log house of Mr. Baldwin, the next, spring Mr. T. built for himself; while haying on the marsh he was so impressed with the luster of the sand on the shores of an adjoining lake as to name it Silver Lake, the name it bears to-day; a tavern built and kept near it by E. Moody was also called the Silver Lake House; in 1845 he made an exchange with Mr. Moody, and thus obtained 40 acres of his present farm of 180; moving a small frame from Silver Lake, he split the shingles for its roof from oak logs, this shanty offering a striking contrast to the present roomy and tasteful residence of the old couple. This large farm is also provided with all needed fencing, buildings, etc., placed there by a man who had to borrow money to house his goods in a Milwaukee warehouse thirty-seven years ago. Mrs. Trow was Miss Lucinda Vars, of Otsego Co., N. Y. They have two daughters - Henrietta (Mrs. Chas. Hill) and Valeria (Mrs. W. S. Sherman). Mr. Trow is a Freemason, and, with his wife. a true believer in redemption through Christ Jesus.
HARVEY WAMBOLD, proprietor of the Eagleville Mills; born in 1826, in Montgomery Co., Penn.; coming to Wisconsin in 1848, he at once began building mills, building and owning the steam mill at Granville; after helping to build the mill of Bertchey & Carr, Milwaukee, he was employed about six years in keeping two large mills in repair; settling in Eagleville, December, 1871, he bought a five years' lease in the mill and water-power; this is the oldest improved mill site in Waukesha Co., built in 1839, by Dr. Bigelow, the present large mill replacing his about twenty-five years ago; it is provided with three run of stone, and the Kurth patent cockle separator for cleaning seed wheat, costing $300; Mr. W. has cleaned over 1,000 bushels most satisfactorily this spring for the surrounding farmers; all foul seeds and shrunken wheat are completely separated; the machine was made to order, and is specially adapted to the wheat grown in this section; near the mill are the Eagleville mineral springs, four in number, the medicinal properties of each being different and all highly spoken of by those using the water, which is carried to all parts of the State. Mr. Wambold married Miss Mary Barndt, by whom he has had five children - Henry, Josephine (Mrs. S. Gale), Milton, Leander and Charles (died April, 1879). Mr. W. and wife are Methodists, he supporting men and principles instead of political parties.