From "History of Waukesha County" by Western Historical Company, Chicago 1880Back to Main Index
LOUIS N. DESOTEL was born at Roxton Falls, Canada East, March 8, 1847; he moved to Massachusetts when he was 14 years of age, and engaged in the shoemaker's trade until 1872, when he located at Danbury, Conn.; he remained there two years, and removed to Scranton, Penn.; was there eight months; then came to Chicago, where he was in the employ of Doggett, Bassett & Hills, in the bottoming department of their boot and shoe manufactory, until he came to Waukesha, December 14, 1879; since that time he has been superintendent of the bottoming department of the boot and shoe manufactory of the Wisconsin Industrial School for Boys.
SAMUEL EALES, stonemason; born 1826, in the County of Northampton, England; came to the United States in 1844, and settled in Waukesha; learned the trade of mason in this country, and now works at the same. Was married, in 1856, to Eliza J. Megaw, of Ottawa, who died in 1858, leaving one child, Josephine. Their residence is "just over the line," in Pewaukee, on Vermont street; has 4 acres of land. He married his present wife in 1859; her maiden name was Elizabeth Bird; they have eight children, all living - Irving J., Ann F., William J., Mary, Samuel H., John B., Kate E. and Flora Belle. His two eldest children are employed in the insane asylum, at Madison. He was a teacher for many years in the public schools; he started in 1875, and is now developing the business of floriculture - having established the "Waukesha Greenhouse and Garden." This is the first of the kind in this vicinity. He is an active member of the Episcopal Church. The family are highly respected, and some have literary talent. His floral enterprise is appreciated by the citizens and general visitors.
COL. FRANCIS A. EASTMAN, journalist; was born at Littleton, N. H., April 3, 1834; his father, Stephen A., was a Congregational clergyman, who sent him to Haverhill and St. Johnsbury, in pursuit of an education; in 1850, he entered the office of the Celedonian, at St. Johnsbury, where an apprenticeship of two years was spent; at the expiration of this time, he conducted, at Littleton, a campaign paper in the interest of Franklin Pierce, called the Ammonoosue Reporter. After the election in 1852, Mr. E. sold his printing office, and spent another year at the Newbury Seminary; then he filled an additional editorial position on the Patriot, printed at Concord, N. H.; thence he went to Montpelier, Vt., and became associated with a relative, Charles J. Eastman, the poet, in the publication of the Vermont Patriot, a famous paper in those days. In 1858, Mr. E. left Montpelier, and became associate editor of the Milwaukee Daily News, with Samuel L. Sharpstein, and the next year took the position of associate editor of the Chicago Times. In 1862, that paper, having been sold to W. F. Storey, its three editors, among them Col. K., left the concern, and started a new paper, called the Post, a war (Democratic) paper, which subsequently became the Republican, and is now the Inter-Ocean; he was active during the war in organizing the founders and supporters of the Government, in Chicago, making numerous speeches, and performing an almost unlimited amount of committee work. In 1868, Mr. R. was elected to the Legislature, serving two years, in which he was the appointed leader of the Republican minority; afterward he was elected State Senator, from the 'First District of Cook County, for four years, carrying a Democratic District, by a fair majority. While Senator, he was one of the Commissioners who built the Illinois Penitentiary, at Joliet. Upon Col. E.'s election to the Legislature, he severed his connection with the Post, and became a partner of S. L. Barrett &, Co., wholesale grocers. Upon the nomination of Gen. Grant for the Presidency, he again took an active part in politics, canvassing a large portion of Illinois, and was, after the Cabinet was organized, made Postmaster of Chicago - the first appointee made by the new administration; he served four years as Postmaster, taking the concerns of the nice through the "Great Fire " with such ability, energy and freedom from entanglements, as secured for him the formal compliments of the President and Post Office Department. At the end of Grant's first term, Mr. E. resigned, and, with his family, went to Europe, where he remained fourteen months. On returning, he spent considerable time in travel in this country, finally purchasing the Waukesha County Democrat, and settling at Waukesha in 1879. Col. Eastman was married, Sept. 3, 1861, to Miss Gertrude Barrett, of Chicago; they have one child - Barrett Eastman, born in January, 1869.
WARNER P. ELLIOT, marble-dealer, born in Addison Co., Vt., in 1814, began working in marble at the age of 16, has worked in all departments of the business, and is probably the oldest marble-worker in the United States, having been fifty-one years in continuous service. Was married, in 1832, to Miss Maria D. Carr, of Dorset, Bennington Co., Vt.; they have two children - Robert C., married. and living in Chicago, and Jane M., married and living in Chicago; they have buried six children. Came to Wisconsin in 1855, and settled where he now lives, in Waukesha. He was, for a year, Deputy Grand Lecturer for Illinois, of the I. O. G. T., and has also held the same position in Wisconsin; has been Master of Lodge, No. 87, of A., F. & A. M., in Waukesha - he is a Royal Arch Mason. The family affiliate with the Methodist Church. Residence and shop are on Dodge St., in the suburbs of Waukesha. They are very pleasantly located - are not in need of this world's goods - are respected pioneers.
JAMES EMSLIE, grocery and crockery store on Madison St. Proprietor was born in 1844, in township of Pewaukee, and has since continuously resided in Waukesha Co. Educated in the public schools of this county; lived on farm till 1870, when he started his present business, and has carried it on in the same block to present date. Was married, in 1875, to Miss Anna Blair, a native of Waukesha; they have two children - Mabel and Brice. Both parents and both children were born in Waukesha Co. He is of Scotch parentage; family are Presbyterians. He is a Republican. Residence also on Madison St. Has a large trade from country, also a good village patronage.
ELIHU ENOS is a native of Johnstown, then Montgomery Co., now Fulton Co., N. Y.; he was born Jan. 29, 1824; graduated from the State Normal School, at Albany, in 1847; he came West with the intention of locating in Milwaukee, and arrived there in October, 1847, intending to establish a school there, bringing letters to many of the leading citizens of that city. Through the personal efforts, however, of Jacob L. Bean, and E. Root he was induced to go to Waukesha, which he did in the early part of November, 1842, and became connected with Prof. Sterling (now of the State University) in a copartnership, under the style of the "Waukesha Classical and Normal School," Prof. Sterling having charge of the Department of Language, and Mr. Enos had charge of the school, which he conducted for one year, when Mr. Enos was appointed Postmaster, in 1849, and served four years. In the fall of 1853, he exchanged his village property for a farm, on Sec. 27, in the town of Pewaukee; continued farming July, 1873. During his residence in the town of Pewaukee, he was elected, in 1854, Town Superintendent of Schools, and held the same position until 1857. He was elected, in 1856, to represent his district in the Assembly. When the County Superintendent school system was inaugurated, in 1861, he was elected to fill that position, in the fall of 1861. In August. 1862, an out-door county war mass meeting was held in Waukesha, to secure volunteers. It was on Sunday, all the ministers of every denomination being present, as no services were held that day in any of the churches of the county. The result was, Mr. Enos enlisted and raised a company. The outgrowth of that mass meeting was the organization of the 28th W. V. I., which was soon filled. Mr. Enos was immediately elected Captain of Co. G, as soon as the company was organized. Mr. Enos resigned the position of School Superintendent, the resignation to take effect as soon as the fall examinations should be completed. The regiment was ordered to the field in December, 1862. Jan. 10, 1863, Capt. Enos left Milwaukee with the sick and other men left behind, when the regiment left camp. He was on detached duty as Quartermaster of brigade, afterward as Division Quartermaster, until he left the service, on account of disability caused by sickness. He came home in January, 1864, and resigned in the spring of the same year. Mr. Enos has been Chairman of the Town Board of Supervisors, and was appointed Postmaster in April, 1872; he was re-appointed, and has held the position ever since. He was Chairman County Republican Committee before he entered the service, and several years afterward. Is a member of the National Republican Committee, and acted as temporary chairman for a short time. He was married in Waukesha, June 11, 1851, to Frances Helen Blake, daughter of Commodore Chesley Blake, whose family came to Waukesha in an early day, he having died in 1849. No children living. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Has been Master of the lodge and First High Priest of the lodge for six years; also member of the I. O. O. F. Lodge.
COL. HERBERT M. ENOS, retired from the regular army; born in 1833 in Johnstown, Fulton Co., N. Y.; graduated from West Point U. S. Military Academy in 1856; was assigned to duty in New Mexico, and served there from 1857 to 1867; was on staff duty in various cities of the ' States," until 1876, when, his health for years having been impaired, he was placed on the retired list, with the rank of Major. In 1878, he erected his elegant residence on " Oak Hill," overlooking the village of Waukesha. The Colonel was never married. His niece, Miss Amelia Enos, is the presiding genius of his home, which is also shared by Mrs. Enos, widow of his brother; and also by his sister, Mrs. John Hudson, whose deceased husband was a prominent pioneer of Waukesha. The Colonel has several relatives, and many friends, in this vicinity; and is a representative of the old-school gentleman - courteous, dignified and with a high share of honor.
CLAES A. ESTBERG was born in Carlskrona, Sweden, Feb. 28, 1825. Came to America in 1850, landed in New York July 11, of that year, worked at watchmaking and jewelry business in New York until the spring of 1851, then went to Augusta, Ga.; was there one year, then went to Savannah, Ga., where he remained until 1854; in May of that year he left there and came to Milwaukee, and worked there for A. B. Van Cott until he came to Waukesha in 1858. He has been engaged in the jewelry business ever since his location in Waukesha. Mr. Estberg has held the position of Village Trustee three or four years - is Clerk of the School District now, and has been for the last ten years, and has been, also,Junior Warden of the Episcopal Church for five years. He was married in Grafton, Ozaukee Co., Wis., Dec. 25, 1855, to Sophia Schletz; she was born in Bavaria; they have four sons - Adolph F., Emil W., C. Albert and Edward R.
EDWARD EVRAND, owner and landlord of the Cambrian House; born in Paris, France, in 1883; learned trade of engraver in France; came to United States in 1852, and located farm in Pewaukee; was married, 1857, to Miss Eulalie Duvigneaud, of Pewaukee; his eyes did not allow him to work at his trade; his main business has been farming; in 1879, he erected a beautiful, brick hotel, 42x78, and three stories high, on Madison St., West Side, Waukesha; also has a barn accommodating one hundred horses; building all new and in first-class condition; has also a cattle-yard which will accommodate fully one hundred cattle. His hotel was built to accommodate the farming community and stockmen - has no reference to the " Spring" and summer tourists. It is conveniently located and liberally patronized. He has five children - Clementine, Desiree, Tirzah, Alexander and Clotilda; all are at home, and his mother, aged 79, lives with him. In 1854, he made an overland trip to California; afterward worked three years in the South; and, in 1870, went again to California; afterward worked a claim in Utah three years. He is a Republican and an A., F. & A. M.
EDWARD FLANNERY, proprietor of the Hygiea Spring; was born in 1834, in Shield, Yorkshire, England. His father was a mechanic. In 1843, the family emigrated to the Province of Quebec, where they remained six years. In 1849, they came West, and located in Princeton, Bureau Co., Ill. In 1851, the subject of this sketch began work for the Chicago & Rock Island Railway Company, as engineer of a construction train; and he continued in their service for four years. In 1855, he entered service as engineer on the old Milwaukee & La Crosse Railway, which was then only partially built, and he ran on that road till 1866. He was married, in 1857 to Miss Julia E. Bauer, of Milwaukee. Since 1866, he has been an engineer on the Prairie Du Chien Division of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway. Has had thirteen children, ten of whom are living - Nellie J., Maria H., George J., Agatha A., Herbert F., Julia E. the twins, Huldah E. and Ida E., Edna F. and Isabella V. Their residence is near the spring, at the foot of Wisconsin avenue. In 1872, he purchased the enclosure, and began developing the spring, now well-known by the name of "Hygiea," the Goddess of Health. This was developed next after Bethesda, and was the second improved in the village. In 1879, he built a spacious structure of beautiful masonry, enclosing the spring, and grading the approach thereto. The masonry surrounding this spring is the most massive and costly of any of the Waukesha Springs. It is said to have the most copious flow of any spring in the village. Its properties are similar to other well-known springs. Mr. Flannery is expending his means and energies to please an appreciative public.
A. J. FRAME was born in Waukesha Feb. 19, 1844. He was connected with the Waukesha County Bank in 1862, first as office-boy, afterward as book-keeper, then elected May 22, 1865, Assistant Cashier of the Waukesha County National Rank, Cashier in 1866, and President July 20, 1880, He was married in Waukesha, Aug. 25, 1869, to Emma, only daughter of Silas Richardson, who is now a resident of Waukesha. She was born in Chester, Windsor Co., Vt.; they have four children, Walter R,, William S., Harvey J. and Esther Mabel. Mr. Frame is a member of the School Board, and has been for several years; also of the A., F. and A. M.
HENRY M. FRAME was born in the town of Brookfield, Waukesha Co., Wis., June 22, 1842, and was married in Waukesha, March 3, 1870, to Adelia Pettibone; she was born in Farmersville, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y.; she died Oct. 16, 1878, leaving two children - Irving P. and Charles H. Mr. Frame is a member of the A., F. & A. M.; he is Cashier of the Waukesha County National Bank.
JOSEPH S. GALLOWAY, M. D., physician in charge of the Silurian Bathing Establishment, was born in 1821, in Ohio. His youth and early manhood was passed in Paris, Ky. His preparatory education was mainly in the private schools of Kentucky. He taught several years in the public schools of Ohio. His health was delicate from boyhood to mature manhood; asthma, dyspepsia, inflammation of the eyes and other afflictions, caused him to study his own condition, and after the improvement of his own health, he devoted his life to curing the ills to which flesh is heir. He graduated at the Eclectic Medical College, in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1852; he was then four years Lecturer on Chemistry in the American Medical College, an institution which afterward consolidated with his alma mater. During the war he was engaged in agriculture, and attended to chronic cases at his home. He was married in 1867 to Miss Maria S. Coombs, daughter of a prominent citizen of Clermont Co., Ohio. They have two children - Edna, born in 1869, and Joseph, born in 1873. The Doctor has had fifteen years of medical practice; most of the time since the war he has been connected with hygienic institutions; he was for some time the Associate Physician in charge of Our Home, a water-cure or hygienic institution, at Danville, N. Y. The writer of this sketch has examined written testimonials presented Dr. Galloway by patients, representing thirteen States; these all testify to his skill as a physician, his ability as a lecturer, and his character as a Christian gentleman. He is now located st Waukesha, Wis., and is Superintendent of the Bathing Department of the Silurian Springs - an institution which bids fair to become the leading hygienic agency in this "Saratoga of the West."
JOHN GIBBS, retired farmer, born in Hampden Co., Mass., in February, 1815; greater part of his life was spent in York State; he was married, in 1838, to Miss Amanda Nye, daughter of Sylvanus Nye, a prominent farmer of Tompkins Co., V. Y.; immediately after his marriage, he took charge of the "Corning House," at Corning, N. Y., and continued in charge for seventeen years. This hotel had eighty-seven sleeping-rooms, and was the leading hotel of that section of country. He came to Wisconsin in July, 1855, and settled in the village of Waukesha; they have two sons - the oldest, S. Nye Gibbs, a lawyer, was Assistant adjutant General of Wisconsin during the war; he died in 1867; the other son, J. J. Gibbs, lives with his parents; is now local manager of the Clysmic Spring. Mr. G. held local offices both in his Eastern and in his Western homes; the family are Episcopalians; he is a reliable republican; owns a residence on Maple Ave., which is conceded to be the pleasantest residence street in Waukesha; for exactly one-fourth of a century has he(sic) been a continuous resident of Waukesha, and is a well-known and respected citizen.
MlCHAEL GLEASON, contractor and builder; born in Ireland in 1840; son of Edward F. and Ellen Ryan Gleason, prominent farmers in Rensselaer Co., N. Y., learned the trade of masonry in York State, and soon became a general builder and contractor. Was engaged largely in church building in the East. Was married in fall of 1857 to Miss Ann Tighe, of York State; cause the same season, and has been resident of Waukesha since that time. Has five children - Edward F., Mary J., Eliza A., John J. and Myra K. His oldest son, Edward F., graduates this season (1880) from the Wisconsin State University, ranking second in a large class; the oldest daughter, Mary J., graduates this year from Carroll College; his other children are at home. He has erected several public buildings, court houses, colleges, etc., and also nearly all the stone buildings in Waukesha. He is contractor for the masonry in the improvements, now being made at Bethesda and Silurian Springs. He is a conservative Republican, but shuns official position, as his business demands all his time and energies. He has considerable improved real estate in the village. beside his fine brick residence on Main St. He is respected as an able mechanic and an honorable citizen.
JOSEPH A. GLEISSNER, Sr. and Jr., proprietors of Mansion House Livery. The father was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1823; came, to United States in 1844, farmer awhile, then kept hotel for twenty-four years in Monroe, Green Co., NY.; he was married in 1844. at Hamburg, Germany, on-the eve of his departure for America; has had eight children, of whom five are living - Anna M., Joseph A., Henry P., James R. and Emma; the three sons are married; the two daughters are at home; family are all Catholics. He owns an improved farm of 152 acres in Vernon Township, Waukesha Co. The son in partnership, Joseph A., came West, of course, with his parents in 1853; and nearly all the time has been associated with his father in business; he married in 1872, and lives on Park Ave. Himself and father have one of the leading livery establishments in the city; it is on Grand Ave., near the Mansion House; they keep eighteen horses; their establishment is popular.
EDWARD C. GOVE was born in Whitefield, Coos Co., N.H., May 1, 1847; son of Elijah and Mary Gove; Edward came West in 1863; located in Chicago, and, until 1870 engaged in wholesale boot and shoe establishment, first with Gore, Wilson & Co., and afterwards with C. P. Gore & Co. In 1871, he went to Green Bay, and carried on the boot and shoe business there one year; then came to Waukesha, and engaged in farming, which he carried on until March, 1880, when he sold out, and engaged in the grocery business. Mr. Gove was married in Pewaukee, Sept. 24, 1870, to Hattie L. White, she was born in Waukesha; they have two children - Mary Josephine, born Dec. 24, 1873, and Edward William, born August 8, 1877. Mr. Gove is a member of the Royal Areanum.
ELIJAH GOVE retired farmer, born July 6, 1801, near Augusta, Me, his father died when he was 3 months old, and he was raised by his grandfather in New Hampshire till he was 16 years of age; after that time he was in school or on farm till his marriage. On the 27th of November 1828, in Ludlow, Windsor Co., Vt., he was married to Miss Emiline E. Wright, they have five children -Frances E., wife of E. S. Turner, the leading attorney of Port Washington; Londus K., married Millie Noble, of Oconomowoc, and lives in Storm Lake, Iowa, Richard L., a prominent merchant of Waukesha; lone, wife, of Col. Daniels, Colonel 1st W. V. I., now resident of Washington, D. C., Jefferson M., married Nettie S. Mead, of Rochelle, Ill., now resident of Waukesha. Mr. Gove came to Waukesha in July. 1843, and bought 8O acres for $1,000 in gold, and this farm he carried on for a quarter century to a day, and then sold it for $9,000 to Col. Dunbar, who exchanged it for Bethesda,Springs. Since 1868, he has lived on Broadway in village of Waukesha; has other real estate in Waukesha; has held local offices in the East and in the West; has been in business; enjoys commercial life; also as early as 1850 had contracts for mail routes from Waukesha to Madison, and from Waukesha to McHenry; he has thirteen grandchildren and four great-grandchildren; he is a well-known and successful pioneer. On the 27th of November, 1878, was held their "golden wedding," which was a choice gathering, with rich gifts and a rare good time. They have a large circle of influential friends.
RICHARD L. GOVE came to Waukesha in June, 1843; he is a son of Elijah Gove, a farmer, and Emeline K. Wright, and was born at Ludlow, Vt., June 18, 1833. At the age of 10, he became a clerk in a store, attending school part of the time, and attended Prairieville Academy (now Carroll College) a few terms. In 1852, he spent a short time as clerk in Peoria, Ill., going thence to Detroit, Mich,; graduated from Gregory's Commercial College; and at the close of that year, went to Port Washington, Wis,, and started the Ozaukee County Advertiser, a paper which is still published. This he edited and published about eight years, and at the same time acted as Postmaster, having received his appointment from President Pierce, before he was 21 years old. He was holding that office in July, 1861, when, with a lieutenant's commission, he recruited men for the First Wisconsin Cavalry - joined the regiment at Ripon - and was made adjutant of the same. On leaving the service in 1864, Mr. Gove returned to his Wisconsin home, and there made a permanent settlement. Opening a boot and shoe and general furnishing store. he has since continued to conduct it with good success. He has also dealt considerably in real estate - put up the Gove Block, and some twenty dwelling-houses - during the last few years. Mr. Gove was elected President of the village in 1865, 1867 and 1877; Mr. Gove belongs to the fraternity of Odd Fellows. He was married, May 1, 1859, to Miss Jennie A. Stone, a niece of the late H. 0. Stone, of Chicago. They have five children - Ione, born Oct. 17, 1860; Richard L., Dec. 22, 1865; Jennie May, April 26, 1868; Fra Belle, March 13, 1870, and Jay, March 23, 1877.
HON. MILTON S. GRISWOLD was born in Fulton Co., near Johnstown, N. Y., March 23, 1839; came to the town of Pewaukee in the spring of 1844, with his parents, Amos W. and Elizabeth Griswold, who settled on Sec. 12, in Pewaukee; both now residents in that town. Graduated from Wisconsin State University in 1863; read law in the city of Madison, with Gregory & Pinney; admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court, June, 1864; practiced law in Madison, in 1865 and 1866, in partner-ship with R. J. Chase; he resided at Menomonee Falls, for three years, prior to coming to Waukesha in December, 1870, where he was for three years Deputy Register of Deeds, when he was elected County Judge, which office he held four years. Mr. Griswold was married in the town of Lisbon, Waukesha Co., May 25, 1866. to Harriet Weldish; she died June 15, 1879, leaving one son - Everett M., born May 27, 1869. .Judge G. is a member of the Congregational Church; also a member of A, F. & A.. M. Lodge and Chapter.
ABRAM H. HADFIELD, general stone and lime business; born in village of Waukesha, on the "23d of January, 1849; has never resided outside of the county. Was married, Oct. 14, 1868, to Miss Annie E. Cook, of Waukesha. In the spring of 1871, he bought the interest of his farther-in-law in the old Waukesha quarries, and also secured an interest in the Pewaukee quarry, the stone of which is of a better quality. In 1872, his father and brother, George A., secured a working interest in all these quarries. and also in the limekilns, farther up the river, and said partnership continues to date. This season (1880), they will ship 3,000 to 3,500 car loads of stone and lime, this firm being the largest shippers in Waukesha Co. Mr. Hadfield has three children - Charles C., Amy B. and Esther L. He is a Royal Arch Mason; family are Methodists. They have a beautiful stone residence on East avenue. He is a prominent and prosperous business man, of more than local reputation.
JOSEPH HADFIELD, general stone and lime business; born in 1816, in England. Was married in 1842 to Miss Harriet Jackson, of Derbyshire, England, who died in September, 1844, leaving one son. Joseph J., now of Waukesha. Came to United States in 1842, and settled in Waukesha, which has been his home continually to date. He married his present wife in 1845; her maiden name was Sarah Harrison. who was born in the same house as his first wife, although the two are not blood relatives. They had ten children - John G., dead; George A., Abram H, Sarah J., Isaac R., Albert W., Oscar Wesley, Edwin H., Charles H., Laura R. Six of the children are married. They have eleven grandchildren. Himself and two sons are in partnership in the Waukesha quarries and lime-kilns, situated one and a half miles north of the village of Waukesha. It is claimed that this firm do the largest business in their line of any in the State. They ship more than 3,000 car loads in 1880. He owns a fine residence, on the corner of East avenue and South St. Has other real estate in the village. He has had no time or desire to hold office. He is a Trustee of the M. K. Church, and the family are Methodists. They are prosperous and respected pioneers.
HON. T. W. HAIGHT Among the first settlers of Charlestown. Mass, is recorded the name of Simon Hoyte, who, with eleven other persons, "first settled this place, and brought it into the denomination of An English Towne in Anno 1628." Where Simon came from is not stated, but genealogists have followed his subsequent movements with a good deal of interest, for the reason that investigation has shown him to have been the ancestor of the American family bearing the name of Haight or Hayt (with many other variations in spelling), as well as of Hoyte, or Hoyt, with whatever orthagraphically (sic) changes may have been adopted by its different members. It was evidently a matter of pure indifference to Simon himself, as well as to his immediate descendants, how the name was spelled, although it was probably pronounced as if written Hite. He died at Stamford, Conn., Sept. 1, 1657, leaving ten children, whose surnames are found recorded in about as many different ways, orthographically, as are used by their posterity to-day. The eldest of these children, Walter Hoyt, or Hayt, was the ancestor of Rev. Dr. Benjamin J. Haight, of New York, and (through their mother) of Gen. W. T Sherman, and his brother, the Secretary of the Treasury. The fourth son, Moses. removed to Westchester Co., N. Y., and Caleb, the son of Moses, bought land in Dutchess Co., N. Y., in 1739, and lived there afterward, as did his children for several generations. Morris Haight, a great-grandson of Caleb, married, in 1821, Miss Louis Myrick, and, directly afterward, removed with his wife to Jefferson Co., N. Y. then a New country and went to farming, upon his own land, consisting of about 100 acres. On this farm, on the 14th of September, 1840, was born the youngest child of the family - Thomas Wilson Haight, the subject of the present sketch. As a boy, Thomas was chief remarkable for a love of literature; learning to read almost in his babyhood, he quickly became omnivorous in regard to books, devouring the contents of all that came in his way; he was especially a close student of the Bible, and, before reaching his 10th year, was more familiar with that volume than is the case with most adults. At 13, his teachers in the "district schools" confessed that his knowledge of the routine studies was fully equal to their own, and he was sent to a neighboring village, for two winters, to take a course, in higher mathematics". At this juncture, the Rev. William Pare (now a Doctor of Divinity, and Rector of Trinity Church, Washington, D. C.). established a classical school at the little village of Pierrepont Manor, and the boy was allowed, to his great delight, to spend a portion of his 16th and 17th years in the study of the Latin, Greek. and French languages, under this admirable instructor. At 17, he taught one term in a public school, at the end of which Mr. Paret engaged him as assistant in his own school; at 19, he was prepared for admission to the junior class in college, in everything except funds, and, in order to try to obtain that requisite, in the summer of 1860, came to Waukesha Co, where he had been partially promised a position as teacher. On arriving, he found that he had been forestalled in the school, but concluded to wait for another opening, as his brother, Mr. M. P. Haight, of Summit, and his sister, Mrs. Walter Kerr, of Delafield, were both permanent residents of the county. In the mean time, he went on with his classical studies, and also undertook the German language, of which he obtained a fair mastery before winter. In the autumn, he. was offered a school in the southern part of Delafield, of which he took charge, giving good satisfaction to the end of his term, in the spring of 1861; he now thought of matriculating at the University of Michigan, but, before his arrangements were completed, the first gun of the rebellion was fired, and he hurried home to New York, to bid his parents good-bye before shouldering his mulket for the sake of his country. On arriving at his native place, he found a company of his fellow-townsmen just organized for the war, and immediately joined it as a private. Within a week of the time of greeting his friend, he had started for the rendezvous of volunteer companies, at Elmira, N. Y., where his company was recorded, a few days afterward, as Co. K, 24th N. Y. V. I., enlisted for two years' service. On the 17th of May, the regiment was mustered in by a United States officer, but it was not until the following month that it was ordered on to Washington, where it was a part of the garrison of the capital, until the night of the first battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861. As the advance of our retreating forces came into Washington on that night, the 24th was sent out past them to Bailey's Cross Roads, and held the outpost in that vicinity against the rebel skirmishers for three or four weeks, by which time both sides had settled into camp again. For the next six months, the monotony of camp life was only varied by drills, reviews, and occasional picket skirmishes, but in the spring of 1862, after some terribly exhausting marches, the 24th, then in the 1st Brigade, of the 1st Division, of the 1st Army Corps, under the immediate command of Gen. McDowell, found itself at Fredericksburg, while the main body of the army was under McClellan, on the Peninsula. From this time on, the regiment had a lively time. Arriving at Cedar Mountain, just after Banks' battle, then, in August, it marched back with the array of Northern Virginia to the old battle-field of Bull Run, participating in the fight along the Upper Happahannock, and in the three days' fight about Groveton, generally known as "the second Bull Run," being at that place almost annihilated, for the time being. The 29th and 30th of August were particularly fatal to Company "K," which could muster but five men at parade, on August 3l. All the rest, of nearly fifty, who went into the fight, were killed, wounded and taken prisoners. Up to August 30, Mr. Haight had never been absent from his company on a march or in a fight; but the charge on the railroad embankment, where Stonewall Jackson was fortified, that afternoon, had brought him into a place from which he could not reasonably hope to get back alive, and so he reluctantly concluded to stay. It was a desperate, foolhardy charge of our line against that embankment. The air was full of bullets and fragments of shell, and not fifty men of the regiment were able to reach the rebel works at all; and in ten minutes after reaching them not a dozen soldiers remained there unwounded. The second Union line of battle was delivering a galling fire upon the embankment, from the edge of the woods in the rear, which took effect, chiefly upon their own comrades of the first line, who were unable to find shelter anywhere. At this point, and at the earnest entreaty of his disabled comrades on the embankment, Mr. Haight ran over the work, and jumped down among the rebels, seeking permission to bring his comrades out of range of the Union bullets. Failing, for the moment, he finally obtained leave to take care of eleven men of his company, who were disabled by wounds, and stayed with them until the last man who survived was forwarded to Washington by ambulance a week later. He had himself been paroled a day or two after his capture, but declined to go away until he had provided for his companions. When he arrived within the Union lines, et the rear of a long train of ambulances, he had neither shirt nor hat, both those articles of clothing having been given to his wounded friends, and he was half famished from an almost total abstinence from food for seven days. He was not exchanged until three months later, and when he returned to the regiment, in December, he was immediately promoted from Corporal to Orderly Sergeant, and a recommendation forwarded, by his commanding officer, for a commission for him. A few weeks later, he was commissioned as Second lieutenant of his company, and received another commission, as First Lieutenant, just before the muster-out of the regiment at the end of their two years term of service; in May following, Lieut. Haight was with his company in the fighting at the ford below Fredericksburg and at the battle of Chancellorsville, but none of the regiment suffered much at either of these engagements. One of his superior officers in the regiment paid the young soldier the compliment of saying that he was the only man that he ever saw in a battle who seemed really to enjoy it; on returning home friend Haight was offered a captaincy in a cavalry regiment, then being raised, and was tempted to go back; but he had already lost both his brothers in the army - one in the 94th N. Y. V. I., and the other in the 28th Wis.V. I. and his parents were in feeble health, and protested against his venturing again; he therefore reluctantly gave up the idea of military life, and settled down to his studies for the remainder of the season, teaching a village school near home during the winter of 1863-64, and returning to Waukesha Co. the following spring. For a year and a half immediately following, he was Principal of the Mukwonago public school, and, in 1865, entered the once of Gen. James H. Paine & Son, in Milwaukee, as a law student. With this firm he prosecuted his studies, until the junior member, Hon. Byron Paine, was elected a Justice of the Supreme Court, the father soon after retiring from business, on account of the infirmities of age. While in the law office, Mr. Haight amused himself occasionally with newspaper work, both prose and poetry, which attracted considerable attention from critical readers, but brought him in very little money. To replenish his purse, he taught commercial law and arithmetic in the Spencerian Business College, at Milwaukee, for some months, and afterward, in the winter of 1867, he taught the Delafield village school; at the close of this school term he received word from Chicago, that the Post of that city wanted the services of an extra man for a few weeks, and that he might try his hand at the work, if he wished; before the close of his temporary engagement with the Post, he was offered the position of city editor of the Milwaukee Sentinel, and served in that capacity for several months, but he differed with the proprietors, all along, as to the manners of conducting that department of the paper, and finally retired from it in the fall of 1868, when he was again offered, and accepted, the management of the Mukwonago public school, and continued there as Principal until the spring of 1870, when he bought a half-interest in the Waukesha Freeman and a little later was united in marriage to Miss Annie, daughter of Dr. H. A. Youmans, of Mukwonago, a young lady who had been his pupil during all the time spent by him as Principal of the public school at that place. An opportunity soon occurring to purchase the remaining half-interest in the Freeman, Mr. Haight prevailed upon his brother-in-law, the present proprietor of the paper - then a young man of less than 20 - to enter the once as a partner. The Freeman was immediately made the advocate of the business interests of Waukesha, and especially of the merits of the Bethesda Spring, which the new editor was quick to recognize as the fulcrum, by means of which the village was to be lifted out of the torpid state in which it was then buried; as correspondent of several journals abroad at the same time, and especially of the Chicago Times, he labored, in and out of season, to bring Waukesha to the notice of seekers after health and pleasure, and its rapid rise in public estimation, as a summer resort, was probably owing as much to his efforts, as to those of any other one man, except Col. Richard Dunbar; in the fall of 1874, Mr. Haight sold his half-interest in the Freeman to his brother-in-law, Mr. H. M. Youmans, although he has all along continued his connection with the paper, as a writer of leading articles. In the winter of 1875-76 he was the Madison correspondent of the Milwaukee Sentinel, and for two years from April, 1876, was Secretary of the State Board of Charities and Reforms, in which capacity he visits all the penal and eleemosynary institutions in the State, many of them several times, and prepared the elaborate volumes of reports for the Board for 1876 and 1877. In 1878, he returned to Waukesha, to the practice of the law in which he has since been engaged. His copartnership with Mr. F. W. Montreith began in June of 1879, the law firm of Montreith & Haight is now considered one of the ablest and roost reliable in this part of the State. In the Order of Odd Fellows, Mr. Haight is an earnest and effective worker, and he now holds the position of Grand Patriarch of the Right Worthy Grand Encampment of Wisconsin - the highest position in the State, of the highest branch of Odd Fellowship. His residence is a charming place, on the gently sloping hillside across the river from the Bethesda, and overlooking the stream and the beautiful grounds belonging to the spring. Here his three children are growing up and rejoicing the hearts of their parents by their intelligence and health, and here, surrounded by trees and flowers, by music and the books that he is still not ashamed to love, he finds the happiness and content which are often sought for in vain by far wealthier men. He is now serving the second year as Chairman of the County Republican Committee, and during this time the county has changed from Democratic to Republican, as the votes will show.
GEORGE HARDING came to Waukesha in May, 1859; lived here two years, and was journeyman tinner for Mr. Burroughs for that time; then went to Chippewa Falls, Wis., and engaged in the hardware and milling business for himself; in 1868, he purchased the farm where he now resides; he carried on his business at Chippewa Falls, however, until 1877, spending his time six months of the year in Waukesha, and the balance at Chippewa Falls, his family most of the time being on the farm; since 1877, Mr. Harding and family have resided in Waukesha permanently; he is still owner of pine lands in northern Wisconsin, principally in the Chippewa Valley region. Mr. Harding was born in Aurora, Erie Co., N. Y., March 20, 1840; his parents removed to Painesville, Ohio, when he was about 11 years of age, and came from there to Waukesha. He was married in Waukesha, July 14, 1863, to Sarah Hall Barstow, daughter of Samuel H. and Susan R. (Babcock) Barstow; she was born in Waukesha, Wis., February 18, 1841; they have four children - Samuel Barstow, Frank Waller, Josephine Baldwin and George Winans, all of whom were born in Waukesha. While at Chippewa Falls Mr. Harding was, for eight years, Chairman of the County Board of Commissioners.
CLARK S. HARTWELL, contractor and builder; born July, 1829, in Ticonderoga, Essex Co., N. Y. His early life was spent in Washington Co.; he learned his trade of his father, Moses S., in York State. They came West together, in 1851, and were in partnership nearly twenty-five years in Waukesha. They are considered to be the leading contractors and builders in Waukesha Co. The father retired from active labors in 1875; and the subject of this sketch is now sole manager of the business. He was married, in 1852, to Miss Isabel K. Dobbin, who died in 1855, without issue. He has built several churches and hotels, and many of the finest residences in the village of Waukesha. He owns a steam-mill, for doing all kinds of woodwork - resawing, scroll-sawing, turning, etc. He was two years Deputy Sheriff of this county. He married his present wife in May, 1860 - her maiden name was Mary J. Calhoun - widow of O. F. Baker, merchant, of Milwaukee. They have had two children - one died in childhood - his only son, Willard S., was born in 1869. His residence and spacious grounds are on the corner of High street and College avenue. He is a temperance man and a reliable Republican. The family are Presbyterians. For twenty-five years he was leader, and the family were the mainstay, of the Presbyterian Church Choir. A visitor, and a former member of that church, upon his return, finding this faithful family still pursuing their unrequited labors of love, despite storm, weariness and discouragement, thus descourses in the local newspaper, "We always expected them. We knew they would be there. The length of the way was nothing. Dampness, clouds, rain, snow, hail, thunder, lightning and pitch-darkness were nothing. There they were - the father, a man whose merit, was only equaled by his modesty, and if ever this trite remark was true, it was so in his case - a man who has the habit, of hiding his talents under a bushel; but who is known, by his associates, to excel equally as a mechanic, a musician and most of all as a warm true-hearted friend. The mother, a whole host in herself, with a stock of goaheadactiveness to supply a half dozen ordinary women. The families of both generations were singers. Their memory is enshrined in many hearts. Nor soon will be forgotten the singers or their songs." The article closed with a defense of the too-often-much-abused choirs in our churches, and an exhortation to appreciative gratitude for these "ministers in the song-service.
MOSES S. HARTWELL, retired, born Aug. 24, 1806, in Hillsboro, N. H.; by the time he was of age, he had learned the trade of carpenter and joiner; in 1827, he removed to Essex Co., N. Y.; he was married in September, 1828, to Miss Mary Orcut, who died in March, 1836, leaving five children-Clark S., Adelbert, Henry M., Electa B. and George; in 1830, he removed to Washington Co., N. Y., which was his home for twenty-one years; in both counties he carried on the business of carpenter and joiner; married his present wife in February, 1838; her maiden name was Harriet Stout, born in Washington Co. Nov. 28, 1812; in 1851, he came West, and, on the night of April 10, 1851, he stopped on the land where he now lives, which is in a thickly settled portion of the village of Waukesha; he has a comfortable home on an acre of charmingly ornamented and beautifully situated land; he owns other real estate in the village; for thirty-five years himself and wife have been members of the Presbyterian Church, and for the last quarter of a century himself and son have been the leading contractors and builders in Waukesha Co.; in cheerful competency, himself and his worthy wife are now nearing the land "whence no traveler returneth."
WILLIAM HASLAGE, firm of Anderson & Haslage, proprietors of the Silurian Springs, was born in Germany in 1827; when but a lad, he sought the broader, brighter business fields of the Western World; 1845 found him at the age of 18 in Pittsburgh, Penn., engaged as a groceryman's clerk, with the princely (?) income of $3 per month and board. Several seasons of faithful labor followed, quite profitable to his employer, but yielding little improvement to his own condition. About 1850, he saw a desirable opening to start a grocery store, but his entire capital of aggregated savings amounted to just $29. His industry, courtesy and integrity had secured him friends and credit. Business prospered, and his energy and frugality enable him soon to seek a wider field, and he established himself at No. 15 Diamond, where he carried on business eleven years. Careful forethought and rare business qualifications have enabled him to pursue an uninterrupted course of prosperity, notwithstanding panics, fires and the varying tides of commercial life. Since April, 1871, he has occupied his own palatial store, No. 18 Diamond Square, Pittsburgh, Penn. It is the largest grocery store in the city, and does an immense retail trade, besides an increasing wholesale business. For elegance and convenience, the "Palace Store" is described as unsurpassed in the West. As a specimen of the sales, their tea trade alone exceeds fifty thousand pounds, mainly at retail. The pay-roll of employees of this store exceeds $1,000 per month. The trade of the firm of William Haslage & Co. includes every department of the grocery business. His home is on Spring Hill, Allegheny, where he has a grapery of 12,000 vines. His business qualifications have made him a valued director in several corporations; his protracted devotion to business affected his health as early as 1870. Serious disease, mainly diabetes, totally unfitted him for business, and for nearly three years his sufferings were so intense that death would have been welcome relief; eminent physicians declared the uselessness of ordinary medicines, and advised the use of mineral waters. His attention was called to a widely advertised spring in Waukesha, and as a forlorn hope he was induced to test its efficacy. Not expecting to return alive, he made his will before leaving Pittsburgh; on arriving at Waukesha, June, 179, he drank the water of the spring referred to for two weeks without receiving any marked benefit. Then, on advice of a resident physician, he began drinking the water of the Silurian Spring, and was immediately blessed with a change for the better. The quenchless thirst of the previous years speedily vanished, and in two months there was a complete restoration to a healthy condition. The relief being so immediate, and the cure so perfect and permanent, he determined to own the curative spring. Having secured it by a large investment, and having expended many thousands of dollars in establishing a hygienic institution, and in rendering the spacious grounds more attractive, he nevertheless invites all humanity to come and partake of the water of Silurian, without limitation, and "without money and without price," at the spring. With the co-operation of his partner, Mr. Anderson, he intends to make its merits known throughout the land. His family are at Waukesha. The sales of Silurian water are rapidly increasing, and already extend throughout both hemispheres.
W. S. HAWKINS was born in the town of Fairfax, Franklin Co. (now Lamoille Co.), Vt., Jan. 5, 1808; lived in Vermont, and a little while in Plattsburg, N. Y. (perhaps two or three years in the latter place before he was 8 years of age); balance of the time in Vermont, until he came to Wisconsin, July 15, 1846. Mr. Hawkins came to Waukesha on that day with his family; he commenced the practice of law immediately, and has continued practice ever since; he has been Clerk of the Board of Supervisors three years, County Treasurer afterward for two years, and Justice of the Peace several terms. Mr. Hawkins was married in the town of Richmond, Chittenden Co., Vt., Jan. 5, 1830, to Mary M. Jackson. She was born in the town of Richmond Dec. 20, 1797. They have had two children-Mary Elizabeth, married B. L. Lyman, and died in Montana; Juliette Amelia, died in Richmond, Vt., before Mr. H. came West-her age was 5 years. Mr. Hawkins is a member of the A., F. & A. M.; had the honor of starting the lodge and chapter; Secretary of Blue Lodge a great many years; he is now Chapter Secretary, and has been since its organization.
HON. CHARLES S. HAWLEY was born in Amherst, Mass., Dec. 25, 1813. Moved to the town of Floyd, Oneida Co., N. Y.; lived there until 1835, then moved to the town of Berlin, Chenango Co., N. Y. Remained there and engaged in the mercantile business until the spring of 1845, when he came to Waukesha and engaged in farming and building for about three years then engaged in mercantile business, which he continued most of the time until July, 1865, when he finally sold out. After closing up his mercantile affairs two or three years, he was elected Justice of the Peace, and has been re-elected and served every year since; has been Assessor of the village and town since the spring of 1872; Town Clerk one term, as early as 1848-49. At the time of the organization of the village, he was one of the Trustees and was afterward President; he was also Street Commissioner. IN 1856-57-58, he was a member of the General Assembly of the State. In 1848, he was candidate for Sheriff, but was defeated. In 1851, he was again candidate and defeated, but ran both times far ahead of his ticket. Mr. Hawley was married in the town of Rome, N. Y., in February, 1832, to Chloe Hibbard. She was born in Rome; died in Waukesha Oct. 6, 1875, leaving tow children-Susan E., now Mrs. J. B. Taft, of Racine, Wis.; Arba B., now a resident of the town of Bloomer, Chippewa Co., Wis. They lost one son, who died in Waukesha in April, 1864. Mr. Hawley was married the second time in Waukesha, Oct. 29, 1877, to Mrs. Kate M. Parcell, who was born near Newark, N. J. Mr. Hawley is a member of the Congregational Church, and one of the charter members of the Sons of Temperance.
THOMAS HAYNES was born in Stourbridge, Worcestershire, England, Nov. 9, 1817; came to Milwaukee from England, May 18, 1863; remained there one year, and removed to Waukesha, dealing in general farm produce, feed etc., since coming here. He was married in England, May 3, 1848, to Hannah Kendrick Lester. Three children by this marriage-Thomas Lester, born March 29, 1849; William Henry, born Dec. 2, 1851, Hannah Lester, born Jan.17, 1855; all born in England. Mr. Haynes present wife was Henrietta Gordon Harper-married at Dudley, Staffordshire, England, June 18, 1862. They have six children, all of whom were born in America, and as follows-Frederick Robert, Sept. 21, 1864; Alexander Gordon, March 29, 1866; Henrietta, Sept. 16, 1867; Charles Lester, Sept. 14, 1868; Jennie Meredith, Sept. 4, 1870, and George Albert, Nov. 21, 1877. Mr. Haynes has been a member of the Waukesha Village Board of Trustees.
DR. A. HAWLEY HEATH, of New York City, Medical Director of the Asahel Mineral Spring of Waukesha (see description of the spring in the general history of Waukesha). Dr. Heath is a native of Herkimer Co., N. Y., and is a descendant of eminent Revolutionary patriots. His grandmother was first cousin of the brave old Gen. Herkimer, who lost his life at the battle of Oriskany. His mother is own cousin of ex-United States Treasurer Spinner. His first cousin, the late Maj. Gen. Herman H. Heath, was Buchanan Postmaster of Dubuque, Iowa, when the South seceded, and he immediately raised a company of cavalry, and entered the Union army. He was wounded in a number of battles, and steadily promoted to be Major General of volunteers. One of his sons was killed by his side in battle. His brother, Dr. Allen S. Heath, joined Col. Corcoran's regiment as Surgeon, and was subsequently made Gen. King's Brigade Surgeon. Dr. A. Hawley Heath has made chronic diseases his specialty in New York City since 1849, and is the only physician in that city who has thoroughly established the Waukesha Spring water in their practice as a special branch. He purchased and introduced the Asahel Mineral Spring, as such, in April, 1875, and has a large number of letters of most wonderful cures.
A. D. HENDRICKSON was born near Rome, N. Y., Nov. 24, 1817. When not more than 2 years of age, his parents removed to Oswego Co., town of Richland, near Pulaski; lived there until his mother's death, December, 1826; soon after she died, he went to live with a farmer in Jefferson Co., N. Y.; remained there two years; then returned to the town of Richland and worked for a brother-in-law until he was 21 years of age; he then entered Rensselaer Academy, at Mexicoville, Oswego Co., N. Y.; he was there nearly four years, and then went to Fulton, Oswego Co., as teacher, in what is now known as Falley Seminary; was two years there, and then became Principal of Red Creek Union Academy, at Red Creek, Cayuga Co., N. Y.; he was there three years in that position, and was for six years Principal of the public schools in Weedsport, N. Y.; he then spent two years in a chemical laboratory in New York City; on and a half years at Harlem, N. Y., as teacher in No. 1 of the public schools of that place. After another year, spent as Principal of the Weedsport school, he came West to Whitewater, Walworth Co., Wis., arriving in April, 1855; he engaged in farming there for four years, superintended his farm, and taught in the Whitewater public schools, as Principal, three years of this time. Mr. Hendrickson then Moved to Eagle, this county, and taught the Eagle Summit school two and a half years; he was then appointed County Superintendent of Schools; he filled the unexpired term of Capt. Enos, and was re-elected, and served in all over three years; he resigned that position in October, 1865, to accept the position of Superintendent of the Reform School, at Waukesha; he continued in that capacity for eleven years and three months, his wife was matron of the institution for the same period, and his two daughters taught in the school connected with the institution. Mr. Hendrickson resided in Janesville, Wis., from April, 1877, to October, 1879; and at that time he took charge of the Industrial School at Waukesha, until the recovery of Mr. Steep, a few months later; since which time he has been Assistant Superintendant of the institution. Mr. Hendrickson's father and mother were William and Keziah Drake Hendrickson. He was married in Mexicoville, Oswego, N. Y., Nov. 30, 1841, to Olive Deosmore; she was born in Burlington, Otsego Co., N. Y.; she died Aug. 8, 1878, leaving three children-Clesson A., a resident of A. Hendrickson served three years in Co. C, 24th W. V. I., and participated in all the battles his regiment was engaged in. Mr. Hendrickson, Sr., has been a member of the M. E. Church since he was 14 years of age. During the three years that he was teaching, and conducting his farm at Whitewater, he filled the pulpit of the M. E. Church of that place; and while there received deacon's orders, which he still holds. He also conducted the religious services of the Sabbath, in the reform school, for several years. Before entering Falley Seminary, at Fulton, N. Y., he, and his wife, started a select school, and afterward, in about six months, he consolidated his school with the young ladies' seminary, which resulted in the formation and organization of Falley Seminary, in about one year, Mr. Hendrickson, being practically the founder of that institution. Mr. H. represented Wisconsin as delegate to the Prison and Reform Congress, which met at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1870; he also represented Wisconsin in the International Penitentiary Congress, held in the city of London, England, July 3, 1872.
HEPP & BREHM, general store on Broadway. The senior partner, William Hepp, was born Jan. 29, 1848, in New Berlin, Waukesha Co., Wis.; early life was on farm; learned mercantile business in Milwaukee; was married, Dec. 15, 1875, to Miss Myrta Moore, daughter of Josiah Moore, a prominent farmer in the township of Waukesha; has one child, William Charles, born in September, 1876; residence is on East St.; he belongs to no society. Mr. Brehm-the junior partner, is of German parentage-is unmarried; was several years book-keeper for a large firm in Milwaukee; he is a Catholic. The firm established their present business in February, 1880, and are popular and prosperous.
MRS. KATE B. HILL, proprietor of Clysmic Spring; native of Natchez, Miss., is of Italian parentage, both parents having been born in Genoa, Italy; her brother Paul A. Botto, recently deceased, was for fifteen years editor and proprietor of the Natchez Democrat and Courier, although born in classic Ital, he was a representative son of the Southland, genial, chivalric, high-toned, talented, unselfish and of heroic bravery. The only other member of the family is a brother, Lewis Botto, who is a merchant in Natchez. The father, also, at his death, was a lending merchant of that city. She was married in September, 1871, to John Hill, a native of Alsac, Germany; he fell victim to yellow fever during the next month, October, 1871. Through the influence of a friend, who was coming to Waukesha, from Natchez, to spend the summer of 1877, she was induced to visit this village; she remained two seasons, her health was improved and she purchased the Clysmic Spring in January, 1879. The waters of the spring are popular throughout the South; she spends the winter in the South, and the summer at the Spring.
WILLIAM C. HOLBROOK was born in Surry, Cheshire Co., N. H., Aug. 13, 1851; son of Elijah and Elizabeth Holbrook. His mother died when William was about six years old; he came with his father to Prairie du Chien in the fall of 1865; his father was proprietor of the Railroad House, now called the William House. They went from there to Milwaukee, and his father was proprietor of the "Juneau House" there for one year; then went to Waukesha in 1868, and took charge of the Exchange Hotel, most of the time conducted by his father, for eight years. William C. became proprietor in May, 1879. He was Depute Sheriff for several months, and Village Marshal one year. Mr. Holbrook was married at Pewaukee, April 24, 1879, to Ella E. Hall, daughter of William Hall, now a resident of Pewaukee.
WILLIAM D. HOLBROOK, retired; born July, 1812, in St. Lawrence Co., N. Y.; came to Green Bay, Wis., in 1837; was in Milwaukee July 4, 1839, at a celebration, and the breaking of ground for Rock River Canal; the spade broke and prostrated the hero of the day; the canal project proved a failure. He farmed five years, and manufactured grain cradles some years, and in 1851 settled in Waukesha, where, for twenty-five years, he practiced dentistry; he studied with his brother in York State. The Doctor was married in 1840 to Miss Lydia Baugs, of Illinois; the have no issue. He was the second dentist in the county, and this village increased tenfold during his practice. He retired in 1879, because of impaired eyesight, although he was enjoying liberal patronage. He patented, in 1879, a new method of retaining artificial lower dentures. This is new to the profession, and is being rapidly introduced, finding approval even in Europe. He owns some real estate in the village, besides his residence on South St., opposite the M. E. Church. Has declined all office; is a Conservative Independent, with Republican proclivities. Ever since Spiritualism became prominent in the West, he has been a firm believer and pronounced advocate of its doctrines.
CHARLES HORNING, contractor and builder; born in 1824, in Pennsylvania; learned his trade before he was of age, and has carried on the business ever since, except the five years that he was in the lumber business at Whitewater; came to Wisconsin in 1847. He was married, in 1849, to Miss Elizabeth Wambold, of Milwaukee Co. Was in business in Milwaukee about sixteen years; removed to Waukesha in 1875, and erected his beautiful residence on High St., just east of the Silurian Spring. Has two children-Adeline C. and David W.; both are unmarried. David is a practicing physician at Brothertown, Calumet Co., near Fond du Lac. The family are Congregationalists. He is a good mechanic, and a quiet, respected citizen.
CAPT. DANIEL HOWELL, retired; born in October, 1808, in Delaware Co., N. Y.; until 1835, was on farm. Married, in 1838, to Miss Elizabeth Jones, formerly of New York State; they have had no issue. IN 1832, he founded a town and established a post office in Chautauqua Co., N. Y.; the post office was known as the "Salem X Roads." His commission was from William T. Barry. In 1835, he moved to White Pigeon, Mich., and kept hotel till 1839, then moved to Illinois, and kept hotel till 1849 in Belvidere and Rockford; then was proprietor for five years of the Jefferson House at the county seat of Jefferson Co., Wis.; afterward five years in business at Milwaukee, and, in 1859, removed to Grand Rapids, Wis., and was engaged in the mercantile business when the rebellion broke out in 1861. The Governor sent him a commission to raise a company, which he secured in that vicinity, and left Grand Rapids with his company on the 29th of October, 1861. He left Camp Randall for service on the 11th of January, 1862, in command of Co. G., known as the "Evergreens, in 12th W. V. I. He served till April, 1863, when, on account of sickness, he resigned. Since 1866, he has resided at Waukesha; was in the Exchange Hotel awhile with his brother-in-law, F. M. Putney, the owner of the hotel; since then he has done some work as a commission man, and as a dealer in agricultural implements. In Michigan, he was Chairman of the Board of Supervisors; was County Treasurer one term, and afterward-1854 and 1855-in the State Senate. He has made and lost several fortunes; he has been a Democrat all his life; he was one of ex-Gov. Barstow's supporters, who were styled, "The Forty Thieves." For several years, he has not taken an active part in politics. He is a genial and respected gentleman. Residence is on East avenue.
JOHN HOWITT, County Superintendent of Schools, was born in the town of Avon, N. Y., April 30, 1841; lived there until he came to Wisconsin in 1859; he located on Section 28, in the town of Lisbon; engaged in farming and teaching since that time; was elected School Superintendent in 1875; re-elected in 1877 and 1879. Mr. Howitt has been identified with the school interests ever since he came here.
H. S. HUGHES, ticket and freight agent C., M. & St. P. R. R.; born in Oneida Co., N. Y., in March, 1842; he has been agent about ten years; is capable and popular; the family are highly respected; he is Master of a Masonic Lodge.
HAZEN H. HUNKINS, deceased, was born in Danville, Vt., May 19, 1820; came West 1839, and settled in New Berlin, Waukesha Co. He was married Nov. 26, 1847, to Miss Aurelia S. Seagel, formerly of Waterbury, Vt. His early life was passed on a farm; he was a few years proprietor of a marble establishment; in 1867, he moved into the village of Waukesha, and built a large and attractive home, on corner of Grand avenue and Carroll St. He held various local offices; in 1864, he was elected County Treasurer; he was Chief Engineer Fire Department, and was an appreciated officer; at the time of his death, he was Under Sheriff of the county. He died on the 29th of March, 1879, leaving three children-M. Emma, who married William S. Parsons, and lives in New Berlin; Carrie A., at home; Wilbur F., married A. D. Jackman, and lives in Waukesha. He was a Master Mason, and exemplified the virtues of the order in his daily life; he was buried with Masonic honors. Since 1857, he had been a consistent member of the M. E. Church. He was a quiet, unassuming and highly respected; he was a wise counselor, reliable citizen, and ably acted his part in all the varied relations of life. Mrs. Hunkins still lives in the beautiful homestead, and is well known as a genial and competent lady; her home is the favorite resort of many summer "spring visitors." It is a "tourists' home," and is acknowledged as the leading establishment of the kind in Waukesha.
ROBERT H. HUNKINS, cooper; was born in Danville, Vt., in 1830; came to Wisconsin in 1840, and settled at New Berlin, where he carried on farming till 1866, when he moved into the village of Waukesha and engaged in building railroad bridges. Was married in 1852 to Miss Frances Seagel, of Vermont; they have one daughter-Eva, not at home. For the last six years, he has employed six or eight men in the shop, manufacturing mainly the packages used by the Bethesda Spring. His shop is on Park St., and his residence on East Ave. He is a member of the fire department. Is a Republican.
JOHN F. ICKE, dealer in leather and findings; born in Germany, January, 1838; came to United States in 1852, and settled first in Milwaukee, and then, in 1856, came to the county of Waukesha, and since 1865, has lived in the village of Waukesha. Has been clerk, shoemaker and merchant; owns his store on Main St.; it is the only establishment of the kind in the county. He was married in 1863 to Miss Fredericka Prior, of Muskego; has five children, three sons and two daughters, all at home. Residence is on Main St. Is member of Board of Trustees of the M. E. Church in Waukesha. Takes but little interest in politics; is a reliable citizen.
SAMUEL D. JAMES was born near Cardigan, in South Wales, Nov. 22, 1823; came to New York State in 1847; located in Utica, remained there three years, and then moved to Sandusky, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y.; was selling goods there until he came to Waukesha, Wis., Sept. 30, 1864; he engaged in mercantile business here in 1865-firm of Jameson & James; they continued together until 1871, when Mr. Jameson retired from business. Mr. James has carried on the business alone since that time-first general dry goods and groceries, now dry goods and clothing exclusively-and has engaged in no other business except merchandising during his residence in Waukesha. Mr. James was married in Sandusky, N. Y., to Elizabeth Williams; she was born in Pembrokeshire, Wales; they have three children-David C., Arthur W. and Annie.
REUBEN M. JAMESON was born in Hamburg, Erie Co., N. Y., Sept. 3, 1816; he lived there until he was 18 years of age, then went to Buffalo as clerk in a wholesale grocery house; he remained six years with one firm, and then engaged in general merchandising, with a man by the name of Swift, at Arcade, N. Y. In two years, Mr. Jameson moved to Sandusky, N. Y., where he engaged in business alone, seven and a half years; then for five years he was not in active business, then for two and a half years he engaged in mercantile business, in partnership with S. D. James, at Sandusky. In May, 1865, he came to Waukesha, and in September commenced business again with S. D. James, under the firm name of "Jameson & James." They continued together until March, 1872. Mr. Jameson has not been in active business since that time, being engaged in looking after his investments principally. Mr. Jameson has been Village President one term, Chairman of the Board of Supervisors two years, Village Trustee two years. Mr. Jameson is also agent of the Etna Fire Insurance Co, and is one of the Executive Committee of the Waukesha Board of Underwriters. He was married in Caneadea, Allegany Co., N. Y., Aug. 17, 1857, to Emily Wilson; she was born at Caneadea, Allegany Co., N. Y., Jan. 22, 1834; they have two daughters-Grace Estelle, now Mrs. Charles A. Williams of Milwaukee, and Eva May. Mr. Jameson's father and mother were Thomas and Rebecca Taggart Jameson. His father was born in Antrim, N. H., May 13, 1778; died at Boston, Erie Co., N. Y., March 29, 1859; mother was born in Vermont, Jan. 21, 1774; she died at Hamburg, Erie Co., N. Y., Jan. 3, 1848.
J. ERNEST JEWETT, was born in the town of Menomonee, Waukesha Co., Aug. 17, 1854; he came to Waukesha in 1858; he is the son of John E. and Mary C. Jewett; they came to Wisconsin and located in Waukesha (probably in 1848). He was educated in the Union School and Carroll College. Mr. Jewett engaged in the photograph business three years; one year afterward, he was connected with the nursery business, and is now employed in the freight and shipping department of the Wisconsin Industrial School for Boys.
M. M. KELLIHER was born in County of Cork, Ireland, Sept. 6, 1837; came to America in 1854; he lived in Canada about six months, then located in New Hampshire and resided there until he removed to Rhode Island about two years after the close of the war; he was six months in Providence, R. I.; he then went to Baraboo, Sauk Co., remained there two years, then went to Newark, Ohio, for one year, when he removed to Peru, Ind.; there he remained but a year. He commenced working in the woolen mills at Newport, N. H., when he was 17 years of age, and continued in that business until 1875; then he started the business of a dealer in clothing, hats, caps, gents' furnishing goods, et. Mr. Kelliher served in the army over three years during the late rebellion; enlisted in Co. B, 2d N. H. V. I. May 18, 1861; he was wounded at first Bull Run and discharged on that account. Soon afterward, he raised Co. C, 7th N. H. V. I.; the winter following he was commissioned First Lieutenant and served until he resigned. He has been School District Clerk two years since he came to Waukesha in March, 1871; was married at Concord, N. H., May 2, 1863, to Catharine Cronin; she was born in County Cork, Ireland. They have four children living-Annie E., Kate, Mary and Mortimer M., having lost one son, Robert E., who died in June, 1879, aged 15 years. Mr. Kelliher and family are members of St. Joseph's Catholic Church.
DR. A. KENDRICKS, located in the town of Waukesha in the spring of 1853, settled on what is now known as the Barney farm or Wm. White place, was there about five or six years, when he was born in Poultney, Rutland Co., Vt., Aug. 1, 1813, received a classical education at the Classical School and Academy at Hamilton, Madison Co., N. Y.; in June, 1832, he graduated from Woodstock Medical School, which was connected with Middlebury College, commenced practice in Salisbury, Vt., there one year, then engaged in practice four years at Ticonderoga, N. Y., afterward in West Granville, N. Y. fifteen years, until he came to Wisconsin. Dr. K. was married at Ticonderoga to Orpha A. Smith Dec. 31, 1834; she died Feb. 14, 1840, leaving two children, Rev. Adin A., now President of Shurtleff College, and Lucy O., now Mrs. J. J. Watson, of Burlingame, Kan.; married his second wife at Ticonderoga; her name was Martha P. Smith, who died Oct. 3, 1865, leaving two children, Albert S., now a resident of St. Louis, Justin S., also a resident of St. Louis, and cashier and book-keeper of Equitable Insurance Company. Dr. Kendrick's present wife was Mary A. Tyler, a native of the town of New Berlin N. Y.; she has a daughter Maud, by a former marriage. The Doctor's son, Albert S. served in the 28th W. V. I.; served until the regiment was finally mustered out, and was Adjutant of his regiment for some time after he entered the service, was appointed Q. M. S. before leaving camp at Milwaukee.
D. W. KENT, real-estate and insurance agency; born in 1818, in Oswego Co., N. Y.; went to Illinois, with his parents, in 1836, who settled on a farm near Palatine; he was married in 1839, to Miss Persis Bailey, daughter of Amos Bailey, a prominent farmer of that town; Mrs. Kent died in the spring of 1858, leaving seven children, of whom six are now living-Albert, married, and living in Waukesha; Mary B., married, and living in Michigan; Liberty M. W., married, and living in Milwaukee; Hiram T., married, and living in Pewaukee; Persis A. at home, and Nellie A. at home. Most of the time in Illinois; was farmer; gave up farming in 1870; lived in Waukesha since 1857, save two years in Rock Co.; married his second wife in the fall of 1858; she was Miss Treadway, sister of W. W. Treadway, of Madison; she died in 1862, leaving one son, Henry W., now at home; he married his present wife in 1863; her maiden name was Elizabeth Hilyer; he was two terms Justice of the Peace-never asked for an office or a vote; he is well known as a temperance worker; is a leading "Good Templar;" the family are Congregationalists; all the children also being members of that church, and none of them use tobacco or intoxicating liquors; owns a residence on Carroll street; accommodates a few summer boarders.
IRA KIMBALL, Deputy United States Internal Revenue Collector, was born at Bath, N. H., July 28, 1829; received a common-school education, and learned the trade of wool-carding and cloth manufacturing, in his native town; came from New Hampshire to Wisconsin, and settled in Waukesha in August, 1854; engaged in milling, buying grain, keeping books for his brother, R. N. Kimball, for about ten years. He was two years in mercantile business-taught school two years-then was engaged in the wool-carding business for two years; then sold out that business to the Waukesha County Manufacturing Company; and was connected with that company for four years-part of the time superintendent and purchaser of wool. After leaving that company for four years-part of the time superintendent and purchaser of wool. After leaving that company, he was engaged in the purchase of wool, and doing insurance business, until September, 1878, when he was appointed Deputy United States Internal Revenue Collector,, for the third division of the first district, embracing the counties of Waukesha and Walworth. Mr. K. has been marshal of the village two years, Village Treasurer two years; and for the last two years Clerk of the Village Board; he has also served as Village Trustee. Mr. Kimball was married at Bath, N. H., July 3, 1855, to Miss Ruth Ann Southard. She was born in Bath. They have one son-Frank S., born May2, 1856. Mr. K. and son are members of the I. O. O. F. Lodge, of this city.
JACOB H. KIMBALL was born in Bridgton, Cumberland Co., Me., on the 3d of April 1800; learned the trade of carpenter and joiner, and lived in his native State until after his marriage. On the 14th of January, 1834, he was married to Miss Harriet Gage, of his native town. On the 17th of June, 1837, he landed with his family in Milwaukee, and for forty-three years he has resided in Wisconsin. Sabina Barney's family and some other pioneer veterans came on the same boat. After a two-years sojourn in Sheboygan, he reached Prairieville (Waukesha) at midnight, the 24th of December, 1839, half dead with cold, and wearing the frozen clothing which was wet in the Menomonee River. He immediately bought 200 acres of land adjoining the present village of Waukesha, and including the land where he now lives. Mrs. Kimball died in 1868; they had two children who died in infancy. When he came in 1837 there was, at Prairieville, a grist-mill and a saw-mill, Buckner's log tavern, and two frame Houses owned by John Gale and Henry Bowron. He built the third frame house in the township. He was actively instrumental in dividing old Milwaukee Co., and so establishing the boundaries of this county that the county seat might and should be at Waukesha; this he did mainly under the leadership of William H. Barstow. He was a member of the Territorial Council in 1845-46; was several terms Supervisor; was afterward engaged in the lumber business; several years Register of the Land Office at Milwaukee. He sold most of his land in 1847; his health for many years was not good; he claims to be the second old settler who was cured of the kidney disease by use of the Bethesda Spring water. Although past fourscore, he assures the writer that his general health was never better than for the past fifteen years; his eyesight forbids reading, but his memory is unimpaired, and he is a straight, vigorous man. His home is with Erastus Scott, nearly a mile from the post office, on land which he bought in 1839. He was never intemperate; has not drank any intoxicating liquor for the last ten years, and he never tasted tobacco but once. He has been a freemason, but not a church-member. Financially, he expects to "come out about even with this world;" religiously, he trusts it will be "all right in the next world."
NANCY H. KIMBALL, nee Keene, widow of R. N. Kimball; she was born in Pompey, Onondaga Co., N. Y., May 28, 1822; he was born Oct. 1, 1817, in Bath, Grafton Co., N. H.; they were married May 31, 1865, in Lafayette, N. Y. He had previously married Miss Fanny Hibbard, who died Aug. 24, 1864, leaving three children-Edward K., who is married and living in Waukesha; George I., who is married and living in Kansas City, M., and Hobert I., living in Colorado. Mr. Kimball came West in 1842; he was several years a farmer; he bought 90 acres of land northwest part of Waukesha, charmingly located on a bluff overlooking the city. He was for twenty-five years proprietor of the "Forest City Flouring Mills," at Waukesha; he was always too busy to accept official position; was an active, reliable Republican; was member of I. O. O. F.; the family are Episcopalians. He died the 13th of September, 1879, leaving one son by last marriage, Albert K., born July 13, 1866. The farm is well known as "Oak Hill," and lies partly in Waukesha and in Pewaukee, but the residence is only a quarter-mile from the court house. The farm has substantial improvements and a rare location. The home is shared by Mrs. Kimball and her sister, Miss Mary A. Keene.
RUSSELL N. KIMBALL, born in Bath, N. H., Oct. 1, 1817; his parents were of that class of hard working people, who gained a livelihood by farming, rearing a large family; he received only a limited education, in the common schools of the county, which at that time were not of as high order as at the present day; but being of an active mind, and endowed with energy, he excelled largely his associates; as he advanced in years, his genius partook of a mechanical turn, and he turned his attention to the business of mill building, and operating the same; after following this business for a few years, and hearing of the glowing prospects offered by the then "Far West," in the year 1841, he started for Wisconsin, traveling by rail to Buffalo, and from there by stage and boat, reaching Milwaukee in the spring of the same year, being four weeks in making the journey; having little or no capital to engage in business, he hired himself to Hon. E. D. Holton, for whom he worked faithfully, until 1843 and then commenced for himself, in the grocery business, on West Water street, near Spring street, which business he prosecuted with success, until 1847, when he purchased a farm at the west extremity of Spring street, on the outskirts of the city on which there was a water power, which he improved by creating a saw-mill, and operating the same until the year 1854; he then sold the saw-mill, and purchased the grist and saw-mill at Waukesha, and engaged in the business of flouring, and sawing lumber, until 1876, when he died. Mr. Kimball was an indefatigable worker, and handled an immense amount of money, during his lifetime. In 1874, he listed property to the value of $67, 802.87, above all liabilities. It consisted of the mill property and water-power, a farm of 87 acres, the old railroad shops, warehouse, and various personal property. He was an enterprising citizen, and an obliging neighbor.
ROBERT KINZIE, superintendent of the tailoring department, Industrial School, was born in Canton, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., Nov. 10, 1823, lived in that county until he came to Wisconsin; he came to Waukesha in August, 1846, engaged in tailoring business, which he continued on his own account, until he took charge of the tailoring department of the Industrial school, October, 1859; he has continued in charge all of the time except for a period of about one year, when he was absent on account of illness, and on a visit to the East.
ISAAC LAIN The father of Isaac Lain was living in Minisink, Orange Co., N. Y., when the son was born, Dec. 18, 1820. The maiden name of his mother was Deborah Alger. Isaac, the youngest of a family of nine children, aided his father on a farm, until 1833, when the father died; he continued to work at farming until 17 years old, usually attending a district school during the winter months; at that age he went to Chemung Co., and work five years, with two older brothers, at the carpenter's trade; in June, 1842, he settled in Waukesha, and there continued to operate as a house-builder and contractor for about ten years; in 1852, he engaged in the real-estate and insurance business, adding manufacturing a few years later; in 1877 he became a stockholder in the Waukesha Manufacturing Company, and is Secretary of the same. Mr. Lain was a member of the General Assembly in 1861, at the opening of the rebellion; during the rebellion he was very active in encouraging enlistments, and in various ways helping on the cause. He has held various local offices; has been President of the village several times, and for a time was one of the managers of the Industrial School at Waukesha. He was Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors from 1866 to 1870. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and is a member and Clerk of the Baptist Church of Waukesha; is a warm friend of temperance. His first wife, Miss Sarah C. Van. Vechten, a native of Princetown, N. Y., died in 1852, after being married a year and a half. In August, 1858, he was married to her sister, Rebecca J. Van Vechten, also a native of Princetown; they have three children, two daughters and a son, Mary C., Wm. H. and Keziah Belle. Mrs. Lain's father, Hubertus Van Vechten (now deceased), settled in Waukesha November, 1844.