Waukesha County Biographies

Surnames Starting with:
[ A ] [ B ] [ C ] [ D ]
[ E ] [ F ] [ G ] [ H ]
[ I ] [ J ] [ K ] [ L ]
[ M ] [ N ] [ O ] [ P ]
[ Q ] [ R ] [ S ] [ T ]
[ U ] [ V ] [ W ] [ Y ] & [ Z ]


Sources: Annie: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 62 page 273. Ruth: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 104 page 196

Annie: Daughter of the American Revolution DAR ID # 61784
Born in Genesee, Wis.  

Esther: Daughter of the American Revolution DAR ID # 103640
Born in Waukesha
(See also Blair bio)

DAR Member
Descendant of Solomon Avery

Solomon Avery
	b: 1729 in Groton, Conn.
	d: 1798 in Luzerne County, Pa.
	m: 1751
	to: Hannah Punderson
	b: 1733
	d: 1775
Solomon Avery a patriot, who in 1780 solicited arms 
from Connecticut to build a fort.

Child of Solomon and Hannah (Punderson) Avery:
	Henry Avery
	b. 1767
	d: 1852 (also 1853)
	to: and Hannah Rockefeller
	b: 1780
	d: 1865

Child of Henry and Hannah (Rockefeller) Avery:
	Elizabeth Avery
	b: 1808
	d: 1865 
	m: 1831
	to: Conrad P. Silvernale
	b: 1809
	d: 1892

Child of Conrad P. and Elizabeth (Avery) Silvernail:
	Lucinda Silvernale
	b: 1831
	d: 1888 (also 1886)
	m: 1849
	to: Thomas Dennis Cook
	b: 1824
	d: 1901

Child of Thomas Dennis and Lucinda (Silvernale) Cook:
	Esther Mary Cook

Solomon Avery (1729-98) served, 1776, as a private in Capt. Joseph 
Gallup's company, 8th regiment, Connecticut militia, under Lieut.-Col. 
Oliver Smith. He was born in Groton, Conn.; died in Pennsylvania.  

See also #62811


Source: Milwaukee Daily Journal, (Milwaukee, WI) [September 28, 1888]; col D



Chicago, Sept. 28. - A new complication has arisen in the matter of the estate of the late Prof. A. D. Hager, who was for many years secretary and librarian of the Chicago Historical society. Prof. Hager died in July last at the age of 71, from the effects of an over-dose of morphine taken to obtain relief from a sick headache, as was then said, because it was known to his physician and to one or two intimate friends, that he had been in the habit of using the drug. Recent developments lead some of his old-time friends to believe that he administered the over-dose because of financial distress.

He was married three times. His first wife died before he came west from Vermont, and he had been married to a Miss Goddard, of that state. For some reason they did not seem to live happily and Hager came to the west, leaving his wife and three children in Vermont. He had been state geologist of Vermont and acquired considerable of a reputation. After coming west he served the state of Missouri in the same line, and in 1872 came to Chicago.

Hager became superintendent of the Washington home, and afterwards took charge of the matters of the Historical society. He is said to have brought $50,000 here with him, and to have left his wife in good circumstances in Vermont. Some time before he came here he had on a visit to a cousin in Vernon, Waukesha county, become enamored of her daughter, a young lady who had just emerged into womanhood, and proceeded to carry into effect a delayed purpose of legal separation from his wife. This matter was amicably arranged and legal writings were drawn and signed by them to that end, and a divorce was obtained.

His cousin, Mrs. Blood, was a widow and lived on a fine farm about three miles from the village of Mukwonago, Waukesha county, Wis., where her daughter Rose was engaged for a time as a teacher in the village school. Prof. Hager spent considerable of his time there and became a great favorite with the family. He was between 50 and 60 years old, but his white hair made him appear much older, and the people of the neighborhood were much surprised when they heard that he was about to marry young and pretty Rose Blood. She, however, seemed as happy as a bird that had found a lost mate, the marriage was celebrated and they came to reside in Chicago.

When Hager died he left a will, making his wife and her one child, a son, aged 14, his heirs and executors. The family residence had been deeded to the wife before this time, and there was but little other property, except a marble quarry in Missouri, in which he had sunk considerable money.

Now an attorney appears from Vermont and claims that the divorce from the second wife was obtained by fraud, that the estate, if there is any, belongs to her and her children. Some sensational developments are expected when the case reaches the courts. Mrs. Hager denies emphatically the statements as to her husband having been instrumental in his own death, and claims that his divorce was perfectly regular and legal.



Source: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 161 page 282

Daughter of the American Revolution DAR ID # 160901 

Born in Delafield, Wis. 

Wife of Byron Hardaker. 

Descendant of Sergt. Robert Love, as follows: 

1. Julius Richard Love (b. 1865) m. 1893 May Forbes (b. 1872). 
2. George A. Love m. Mary Breese. 
3. Levi Love (1790-1875) m. Eunice Waldo (1791-1865). 
4. Robert Love, Jr. (1768-1836), m. 1788 Susanna Austin (1766-1842). 
5. Robert Love m. 3rd Sarah Blanchard (b. 1743). 

Robert Love (1730-1809) served as sergeant in Capt. Gibbs' company, 
Colonel Stanton's regiment, Rhode Island troops. He was born and 
died in Coventry, R. I. 

Also No. 142691.


Source: Mukwonago Chief November 16, 1905

Andrew A. Harris, son of Mr. And Mrs. R. R. Harris, was married at St. Joe, Mich., on Monday, November 6, to Miss Harriet Twain of Chicago.

They are residing at Chicago where Mr. Harris has a fine position with the Chicago City Railway company.

The happy groom is a genial, all-around good fellow, and his many friends in this neck of the woods, including the Chief, wish him much joy and happiness.



There is a gloom in the Wisconsin Central shops here today, Hughey Hartford, the joy and sunshine of his fellows, lies cold in death and through no fault of his own.  His bride of a year ago, with her baby boy nestling tightly in her arms, is almost distracted with grief, and the strong hearts of his sturdy fellows beat in measured throb over the awful calamity.  Hughey Hartford was at work on Saturday morning last as lighthearted and rollicking in spirits as ever was the lot of man to be.  He received orders to go into the round house and assist in repairing a disable engine.  With his German companion August Leichtenberger he proceeded cheerily to execute orders.  While at work and in a most hazardous position the general foreman of the shops, climbed into the cab of the engine and intending to assist his subordinates pulled open the throttle of the engine an in less than half a minute afterwards Hughey Hartford was a corpse.  Hartford was endeavoring to turn the wheels of the engine with what is known as a pinch par and had placed his whole weight upon the bar.

When the throttle of the engine was opened the wheels were spun around at a terrific velocity and Hartford was thrown against the left cylinder and killed.  TO add to the gloom occasioned by the sad accident, news was received here today that the mother of the deceased is not expected to live.  The news of her son's death has been kept from her.  THe date of the funeral has not yet been set.
Source: The Milwaukee Journal, Monday, December 21, 1891; pg. 2; col B
Killed by his own Carelessness

Verdict of the coroner's jury in the case of Hugh Hartford

Waukesha, Dec. 22-The coroner's jury in the case of Hugh Hartford, who was killed at the Wisconsin Central shops, found a verdict to-night that the deceased came to his death from accident, through carelessness on his own part.  The jurors were all employes of the Central company.  While there was little in the evidence to indicate that the death was otherwise than accidental, much side talk was engaged in, in which, carelessness was charged against men who were working with him.  The funeral of Hugh Hartford was held to-day at St. Joseph's church, and was attended by a very large concourse.  Source: The Milwaukee Sentinel, Wednesday, December 23, 1891; pg. 4; col D



Source: Unknown

Nathan Hatch, enlisted 4 times during the revolutionary war.
1) Attleborough in July, 1776
Captain Isaac Hodges' Company
Rank: Private
mustered out November, 1776
2) Enlisted in Captain Moses Wilmot's Company of Colonel John Dagget's
Regiment in 1777 or 1778
Regiment acted like guards against the British at Warwick, RI.
3) Enlisted in Captail Calem Richardson's Company of Colonel John
Hathaway's Regiment
Served from Jan. 1 to April 1 1778 or 1779
Stationed at Little Compton Point, RI
4) June 1780 Enlisted for a six-month term marched from Springfield
Mass to Westport NY then was transferred to Captain Miller's Company
of Colonel Joseph Vose's regiment, the First Massachusettes.
Discharged November 1780

Pension application shows the following facts:
Present at Hanging of Major Andew
Met: General George Washington, General Nathaniel Green,
The Marquis de Lafayette and Baron von Steuben.

In 1794 Hatch moved to Halifax, VT. then to NY
In 1843 to Milwaukee County.
Buried in Oak Hill Cemetery (Cem # 5) in Brookfield, WI
The Waukesha Continental Chapter, DAR, marked Hatch's grave on July 4, 1918.



Source: Daughters of the American Revolutin

DAR Member
Descendant of Sergt. Samuel Handy

Samuel Handy
	b: 1756 Killingworth, Conn.
	d. 1838 Palmyra, N.Y.
	to: Sarah (Hall)
Samuel Handy was honored with the badge of merit for six 
years faithful service. His discharge signed by Washington and 
the gun he carried are said to be in the possession of his 

Child of Samuel and Sarah (Hall) Handy:
	Sarah (Handy)
	to: Charles Wilbor

Child of Charles and Sarah (Handy) Wilbor:
	John Borden Wilbor
	to: Emily Sophia (Brewster)

Child of John Borden and Emily Sophia (Brewster) Wilbor
	Eliza Wilbor
	to: Calvin Jackson

Child of Calvin and Eliza (Wilbor) Jackson:
	Katella Jackson


Source: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 54 page 21

Daughter of the American Revolution DAR ID # 53045 

Born in Waukesha, Wis. 

Descendant of Lieut. Col. Thaddeus Crane. 
Daughter of Charles Henry Hurd and Abbie Matilda Crane, his wife. 
See No. 53043.  


Source: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 151 page 94

Daughter of the American Revolution DAR ID # 150302 
Born in Oconomowoc, Wis. 
Wife of J. E. M. Hedley. 

Descendant of Zebulon Whipple, as follows: 
1. David A. Olds (1827-1906) m. 1848 Sarah S. Wyatt (b. 1828). 
2. Ezra Wyatt (1804-71) m. Mary Whipple (1808-44). 
3. Zebulon Whipple m. 1788 Lydia Russell (b. 1770). 

Zebulon Whipple (1764-1851) served as private in Captain Dana's 
company, Colonel McClellan's regiment, Connecticut Line. His widow 
recieved a pension. He was born in Plainfield, Conn.; died in 
Canton, Ohio. 

Also No. 89780.  


Source: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 57 page 306

Daughter of the American Revolution DAR ID # 56882 
Descendant of Col. William Henshaw, of Massachusetts.

William Henshaw
	b: 1735 in Boston
	d: 1820 in Leicester, Mass.
	to: Phebe Swan, his 2nd wife
William Henshaw was a member of the Provincial Congress, 
1774, which voted to enroll 12,000 minute men raised in 
Worcester County. He was in the battles of Long Island, 
White Plains, Trenton, and Princeton. His orderly books, 
in four volumes, are in the American Antiquarian Society 
of Worcester. 

Child of William and Phebe (Swan) Henshaw:
	Lucinda Henshaw
	to: Samuel Daugherty

Child of Samuel and Lucinda (Henshaw) Daugherty:
	Almira Daugherty
	to: James W. Woodruff

Child of James W. and Almira (Daugherty) Woodruff:
	Florence A. Woodruff
Also Nos. 6837, 33891, 35381.  


Source: The Milwaukee Sentinel, Sunday, October 10, 1886; pg. 5; Issue 50; col D

A Standing Skeleton The Remains of an Indian Unearthed under a Pewaukee House

Pewaukee Oct. 9-While making an excavation today, under the residence of Dr. Hewitt, a workman came up on some bones, which, when unearthed proved to be the skeleton of a large-sized man. Many years must have passed since the body was placed there and evidently little care had been taken in the burial, as the skeleton was in a slant position-the feet within a foot of the surface, while the head was four feet below. It was probably the remains of an Indian. Such discoveries have occasionally been made before in this vicinity, but never before in a dwelling.



Source: Waukesha County Democrat | Waukesha, Wisconsin | Tuesday, August 28, 1860 | Page 2

HILDEBRAND MEYER. On Monday, August the 27th, at the residence of-the bride's father in Waukesha, by C. C. White, Justice of the Peace, Richard Hildebrand, Esq., to Martha, daughter of Mr. F. A. Meyer.



Source: Waukesha Freeman January 17, 1860

In Pewaukee, on the 5th inst., Mrs. Cassandra M. Hodgson, wife of John Hodgson, Esq. aged 36 years, 11 months and 20 days.

Her remains were interred in the family cemetery contiguous to the residence of Mr. Hodgson, on Sabbath last, amid a very large concourse of the friends of the deceased and her bereaved husband, after a short but appropriate and solemn address by the Rev. Mr. Clark of the Baptist Church, Waukesha.

Mrs. Hodgson was, in many respects a remarkable woman, whose death should not be chronicled without a passing tribute to her memory, outside of the indelible register of her estimable virtues engraven in the heart and affections of those to who she was endeared in the relations of daughter, sister, wife and mother.

With her husband she emigrated from Michigan to Wisconsin in the autumn of 1842, and from the date of her arrival has been identified with the social interests of Waukesha and the vicinity. Her social and religious character as developed in all the associations of the neighborhood it is believed, endeared her to all, without exception, who made her acquaintance.

She was a member of the Baptist Church, and by her constant and unvarying christian deportment commended the cause she professed to love in the exhibition of its fruits in her daily life.

Her last and fatal illness was protracted and excruciating to the body; but the faith and hope of the christian were dominant in the midst of her sufferings.

Mrs. Hodgson was the daughter of Capt. Blake, well known to the emigrants to this and adjoining States, for his intrepidity and indomitable energies in seamanship upon the upper lakes, from who she inherited some of her striking traits of her character, softened and blended by the gentle training of a devoted mother into what may be called true female fortitude, which carried her, cheerful and buoyant, side by side with her enterprising husband, through all the trials of this country's settlement, adorning the sphere in which she moved. She has gone to her rest in early womanhood, but she has left behind her an impress on society as her lasting monument here, and an earnest of her participation in that "rest which remaineth for the people of God."

Her surviving mother, and the dear ones whom she left behind her for a short space sorrowing, have strong faith in the midst of her afflictions-" The righteous hath hope in death".

"And I heard a voice from Heaven saying-Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth. Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest their labors and their works do follow them."--Democrat.



Source: From family history

Harriet B.
	b. May 4. 1814
	m: Peter N. Cushman (see Cushman)
	d. Oct. 18, 1863
John S.
	b. March 31`, 1816
	d. June 21, 1858
Sarah A.
	b. March 1, 1818
	m: Samuel B. Hollister June 1, 1840
	b. July 4, 1820
	m: Benjamin Hunkins Feb. 12, 1843 Beaver Crossing Neb.
George W.
	b. Nov. 8, 1822
	m: 1st Lucy Gilbert Nov. 6, 1851
	m: 2d Frances C. Turner Nov 6 1851
	m: 3d Elizabeth H. Cram Oct. 18, 1860
	He is a graduate of Rush Medical College Chicago.  Now in 
		Oakland California.
Lois L.
	b. Dec. 7, 1824
	d. Sept. 14, 1865
Hanna E.
	b. Feb. 13, 1828
	m: Alvarez E. Gilbert Oct. 11, 1849


Source: Waukesha Freeman May 11 1921


This interesting paper was read before the Waukesha County Historical society at its semi-annual meeting held in this city on Saturday, May 7.


I was born in the province of Brandenburg, Prussia, in December, 1850, the son of Christian and Sophia (TIMM) HONAJAGER. My parents worked on a large farm, or estate, with little hope of ever bettering their condition in the old country. My mother's brother, Henry, came to this country about 1852 and went to work for Newton KENDRICK, near Saylesville. Though making only $6.00 a month and keep, his letters telling of the chances in Wisconsin decided my father to follow him. Unable to pay for the passage of himself, wife and seven children, a kindhearted shepherd, named Henry PERSON, loaned him without note or security the sum of $280 needed for that purpose. We arrived at New York, June 2, 1854, just five weeks by sail from Hamburg, going at once to Waukesha. The only thing that I recall from the trip was the leave-taking in Germany, when my god-mother gave me a dollar.


My father got work right away in W. JOHNSTON's big quarry, N.W. 1-4, S 24, T. Genesee, near the present MOREY home. He worked there during the open season for $12.50 a month and board for himself, with the family living in a log house on the place. My oldest brother, John, a mere boy, hired out to CUSHMAN Dodge, near Saylesville, for $3.00 a month and keep and my eldest sister, Minnie, a girl of scarcely 12, soon after went to work for Ed. KING, father of former Sheriff KING, at 75 cents a month and keep. My mother worked on the JOHNSTON farm, shearing sheep, binding in the field, etc. She surely could work, and when she beat Sam NELSON, crack wheat-binder of the neighborhood, JOHNSTON gave him the laugh. During the following winter father walked three miles and back every day to chop wood for W. D. BACON, at 2 shillings and 6 cents, or 31 cents, the cord.

The second year father rented land from BACON on Section 17, T. of Waukesha, south of the creek that crosses the Mukwonago road. He worked the land on halves, but this does not mean that he got half of what he raised, because for every bushel of seed furnished by BACON in the spring my father had to pay in the fall one peck as interest, which was at the rate of 50% per annum, a pretty steep rate you will admit. There was no house on the tract, so father built one mostly of slabs that lay around an abandoned saw-mill at the creek, the dam having recently been carried away by high water. Parts of the old dam may still be seen.

There were only three acres clear when we took possession, and BACON allowed us the free use for one year of all land we cleared on the place, but after that we had to settle share and share alike, In this way we cleared about 30 acres more before we bought the land. My parents and the older children surely worked and saved, for two and one-half years after our arrival here, when the kind shepherd man above mentioned, encouraged by our letters, also came over, my father paid him up in full. The good man would not, however, take a cent of interest, soon going to Calumet county, where he prospered.


After renting for six or seven years, father bought the place he had been renting, 118.64 acres, later known as the HONAJAGER homestead, at $25 an acre, paying $800 down and giving a mortgage for the balance at 7% for three years, when the interest should be raised to 10% per annum on any unpaid remainder. I judge that BACON made a healthy profit on that transaction, but when the note fell due, father paid him up, borrowing the amount needed from James MOORE at 7 %.

BACON owned a lot of land in that neighborhood, more than 1,000 acres, chiefly in timber. There was not much cleared land to the west and northwest of us, and BACON had a number of Germans cutting wood and ties for him, which he sold to the railroad, which used no coal at that time. He would have none but Germans work for him, when he could get them, no doubt because he could make more out of them. He was a hard task-master. He watched like a hawk and took all he could get. Father rented another tract, about 8 acres of which was marsh, for which he paid BACON a cash rental of $25. Yet, when we cut that marsh, he took half of the hay just the same. As stated, we worked other land for BACON, besides what we rented. He had seven or eight yoke of oxen, and we had our choice of these for our own work. When as a lad I was plowing one day this side of the creek, he came and demanded that I give him the oxen that I was using and take another yoke, but I would not do it, because I was in my rights. He started to ride across the marsh after me, but I unhitched the oxen and drove them across the creek into the woods where he could not follow me. He was furious and went to the house where he abused me to my father, who, however, took my part. Then he waited for my return to tell me to my face, but although it was the noon hour I did not care to eat just then and waited till two o'clock, when the angry landlord has disappeared.


You may be sure that the first ten to fifteen years were pretty hard ones for my parents. Starting in debt, with a family of seven children, to whom three or more were added here, it took the steadiest kind of work and the greatest saving to get ahead. Besides working the land, father cut oak ties for BACON at 8 cents each. The children worked and earned as soon as able, turning in their earnings to our parents until of age. Though we lived frugally, we had plenty to eat, the simple, nourishing food and steady work giving us health and strength. Both my parents reached the age of 88, while all of their ten children lived past middle age, only the oldest and the youngest having thus far passed away. We ate corn meal mush and milk, and I like it still. Then we had bread of wheat, corn and rye, potatoes, pork, game, fish, vegetables and coffee, which was sometimes made of barley. After we could afford it, we killed a beef occasionally. And when out fruit trees began to bear, we had plenty of fruit.


Some of those old time winters, especially that of 1863, were very cold, with lots of snow. But we kept warm because wood was plentiful on the farm. We had no fire-place, using stoves. Yet, we boys slept in the unheated loft, which we reached by ladder. Sometimes when we awoke in the morning, we found our beds covered in snow.


When I was 7 or 8, I began to attend the old LAWRENCE school, District No. 2, about a half mile down the Mukwonago road. Alice P. PERRY, who was a very good teacher, taught us for four or five terms. A daughter of Prof. NORTH also taught there. Among my school-mates I recall Edward KING, Joe MUIR, George RICHARD and Alice WEED, Sabina BARNEY, Jr., Newell SMITH, Mattie and Henry COLE, Fred SANBORN, Alice PURPLE, Louis FLOTOW, Mary TESCH, Alice WARNER, Leona VALE, and Mattie DAVIS, the late Frank SHULTIS. My schooling was chiefly in the three R's, reading, writing and arithmetic.

Naturally, I began to work when quite young and, what is more? I learned to like my work and to do a good job. Of course, I had to do my share of the work at home, and I was a mere stripling of 16 or 17, when I drove six oxen breaking land for BACON at 50 cents a day, without board. I had an old yoke for leaders and an old one for beam team, with younger animals between, finding this a good way to break these. A little older, I cut and piled 1 1-2 cords of popple in one day, trying to beat Tom O'LEARY, who was cutting by the cord, while BACON paid me 50 cents a day. He sold the wood to JOHNSTON to burn lime.

We raised corn, wheat, rye, barley, oats, hay, potatoes, pumpkins and squash on the farm, and our garden supplied us with cabbage, onions, turnips, carrots, rutabagas, beans and peas. All the grass was cut with a scythe, and there were no horse rakes, tetters and stackers in those days. When I first began to cradle wheat, I though my ribs should break the next morning when I started in again, but soon I became used to it. We had to rake, bind, shock and stack by hand. And it meant work from day-break till dusk. Oh, I used to be so tired at night, but in the morning I was as spry as ever.


While we had no end of work, I believe I enjoyed my youth on the farm in the long ago as well as boys of today. I liked the farm, the different kinds of work, and especially to see things and creatures grow. We raised horses, cattle, hogs, sheep, chickens and ducks, and always has a few dogs and cats. Yet, we had other enjoyments, too. In winter I went skating or rode down a hill on a sled. I hunted, trapped and fished with my brothers and other boys. So much woodland made a good shelter for rabbits, squirrels, partridges and coons, of which there were plenty. In the marshes and along the streams there were prairie chickens, quail, woodcock, snipe and ducks. Late in August, when the corn was in milk, the coons would forage in the cornfields on moonlight nights. Then we used to get between them and the woods, "sick" the dogs on them, who treed them, when we shot them. We got seven in one night, but were prejudiced against their flesh, merely selling the skins at from 50 cents to a dollar apiece. We also trapped or shot muskrats and weasels, selling their skins for 6 to 7 cents, and 3 to 5 cents, respectively.


My hunting companions were usually John BUCK and William TESCH, the sons of German neighbors. I was a good shot, and I made my best record when an immense flock of passenger pigeons stopped for a day or two in our neighborhood. With a single-barrel muzzle-loading shot gun I killed 104 pigeons in less than two hours. Henry POOLE's father and Bill WORDEN, of Waukesha, shot in less than one hour enough pigeons to fill the box of a democrat, or one horse wagon. People are now sorry that the passenger pigeons have disappeared, but farmers then were glad when they did not appear. It was seeding time and that was the reason they paid us a visit. My brother, John, had sown in the forenoon by hand 8 acres of wheat, intending to drag it after dinner, but when he returned, there was no wheat to be dragged. The pigeons had taken it all. They worked by system. As soon as one flock had eaten all about them, they flew over those next to them and started on a fresh patch, being followed in the same way by those which they passed, until the entire field was picked clean.


There were other enjoyments. When I got to be about 18, I began to attend spelling matches at the school houses, which attracted a large audience because of the interest taken by different sides. After I was 21, I used to go to husking bees, which were attended chiefly by the unmarried young people of the neighborhood. After husking outdoors till10 or 11 at night, refreshments were served in the house, these consisting of bread, fried cakes, hot pork sausage, sweet cider, and coffee or tea, which was followed by a dance to the music of an accordian.

We also had lots of fun racing horses up and down the road, yet we never raced for money, but merely to see who had the best horse. I was naturally a good horseman and was never thrown. We caught a good many fish in the river and some in the creek, taking them both by net and line. The river supplied black bass, pickerel, suckers, mullet, bullheads, sunfish and perch. Once we got our net so full of fish that we could not pull it out, having to wade in and throw them out.


For clothing we wore homespun or suits at STEIN's in Waukesha. Mother and my sisters used to spin, knit mittens and stockings and make some of our clothes. The men folks all wore leather boots made by BRADLEY & METCALF. When the boots got wet we pulled them off with the help of a boot-jack, but it was another thing to get them on again the next morning. The women wore calf or kip pegged shoes, and the boys had to grease all the footwear twice a week to keep them soft and waterproof, besides preserving the leather. We took good care of everything, including the farming tools and household utensils which we bought either at KENDRICK's or John HAERTEL's. We generally did our trading on Saturday. We sold butter as low as 7 cents a pound and eggs at 5 cents a dozen in trade.


My parents brought a bible and other religious books from Germany, and my father was one of the founders of the German Reformed church of Waukesha. In the beginning, services were held occasionally at the nearby school house, but later the society bought the Prairieville academy building, which stood on the site of the present church on Wisconsin avenue.

Father took Der Weltbote, a German religious weekly published at Allentown, Pa., and when we grew up the Waukesha Plain Dealer, a Democratic paper published by Alexander F. PRATT.


All the children worked out after they were old enough, and until they were of age turned their earnings over to my father, otherwise he could not have made such headway. But we did not complain, for we had what we wanted food, clothing and shelter. Neither did we care to go to town to carry on. After I was 21, I worked for eight months on the farm of B. F. CHAMBERLAIN, father of Mrs. Charles BOWEN, at $21 a month and keep. The following summer I worked for farmer A. A. DAVIS, who paid me $50 a month and found, the highest wages, I believe, then paid a farm hand in the county. When my time was up, Davis told me that if I came back the next summer he would pay me $55 a month, which he did for two summers in succession. I worked beside men who received only $18 and $20 a month for the summer work. I spent the remainder of the year in buying stock which I shipped to Milwaukee and Chicago.


In 1881 I was married to Miss Kunigunde LUBER, also of the town of Waukesha. At first we rented 107 acres on Section 29 in the same town, but after six years I bought 120 acres in Section 20, town of Pewaukee, where I farmed successfully until April 1, 1911, when I sold out and moved to Waukesha. Four sons and (??) daughters, all workers like their parents and grand-parents, blessed this happy union. Frederick, the youngest son, served his country as a soldier in France. When our children were small, we talked German to them, but after they grew older and had learned English, they would answer in that language, and in this way English became the family speech. It is about the same in the families of my brothers and sisters.

As I have said before my parents had ten children, John, Minnie, Charles, Fred, William, August, Mary, Augusta, Anna and Herman, all of whom acquired a farm, nine in Waukesha county and one in Dodge. When my father died, he left behind him forty-three grandchildren. If they and their children follow the example set by Christian HONAJAGER and his good wife, who helped make this county, I believe they will be come useful, law-abiding citizens and be a credit to their state and country.



Source: The Milwaukee Sentinel, Tuesday, February 07, 1893; pg. 2; col H

Waukesha Country Gossip Case of Destitution in Pewaukee

Waukesha, Wis. Feb 6-A.C. Hawes agent of the local humane society, reports a sad case of destitution at the home of George F. Hooke, who resides near Duplainville, in the town of Pewaukee. Mr. Hooke is old and helpless from paralysis, and his wife also is old. They have been partly supplied with necessariers by a relative, and the wife proudly insisted that they had plenty to eat, though Mr. Hawes was inclined to doubt it. The animals on the place were in shocking condition. One cow was found dead in the barn, evidently from lack of food, and another cow and a horse, stabled in an addition to the house were much emaciated and could not have lived much longer without food. Mr. Hawes immediately reported the case and food for the animals was sent out from here.



Source: The Daily Freeman and Republican, Waukesha, Wisconsin, June 20, 1890

They went to the Wedding

Eagle News: Lawrence Fardy, Wm. and Thomas Tuohy, Thomas Burden and Wm. Townsend were arrested and brought before J. T. Hennessy, Esq., Justice of the Peace, last Friday, on the complaint of N. J. Hoswell for disturbing his family and guests during the wedding at his house on the night of the 11th of June. The defendants made affidavits and got the case before Justice Labar and it was continued to the 21st day of June on their own recognizance.



Source: pg 957-958 in "History of Dakota Territory" by George W. Kingsbury, Vol. IV (1915)

David Robert Howie, successfully engaged in the real-estate business in Sioux Falls, was born upon a farm in Waukesha county, Wisconsin, August 24, 1856. His father, Thomas Howie, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1811, and on reaching manhood was married in that country in 1836 to Miss Mary Morton, who was born in the parish of Glaston, Ayrshire, in 1813. He engaged in business as a merchant at Kilmarnock, Scotland, until 1839, at which time he crossed the Atlantic and settled in Inverness, New York. In 1841 he made his way westward to Wisconsin and took up his abode in Waukesha county, where he purchased eighty acres of land, later adding to that property until he became the owner of two hundred and fifty-two acres. At his home was organized the United Presbyterian church, of which he was one of the founders and leading members. He donated the site for the church, buying land on the main road to Milwaukee. After a useful and well spent life he passed away on the 24th of August, 1858-the day on which our subject attained his second year and also the anniversary of the death of his oldest sister. His wife survived him for thirty-five years and died on the 11th of July, 1893. Their eldest son, John Howie, was born in Scotland and at the time of the Civil war enlisted as a private in the Twenty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He laid down his life on the altar of his adopted country, dying in the service in 1864. He left a widow, a son and a daughter, but the son is now deceased. The daughter married Henry Vick, a farmer, and they make their home in Vernon, Wisconsin. Besides John our subject had two other brothers and two sisters, namely: Mary, who became the wife of James Mair; Janet, the wife of John Purvis; Thomas, who died in 1880; and Matthew, who formerly resided in Sioux Falls, but is now a resident of Roberts county, South Dakota.

In the public schools of his native county David Robert Howie pursued his education. He remained under the parental roof through the period of his minority and early became familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. He was about twenty-three years of age when in 1879 he left home and came to the territory of South Dakota. In 1883 he removed to Sioux Falls, where he has since resided, and throughout the intervening period of thirty years he has ever been accounted one of the progressive, wide-awake, alert and enterprising residents of that city. For one year he purchased grain for the old Queen Bee mill and also bought stock for A. G. Senny. Later he entered the real estate business, in which he is still engaged. He also engaged in farming for a number of years in Minnehaha county. but later sold one hundred and twenty acres of his land, which brought him one hundred and thirty-seven dollars per acre. As a real-estate dealer he is thoroughly conversant with property values and he knows what is upon the market for purchase or sale. He has gained a good clientage and his business is now of an extensive and substantial character.

On the 30th of November, 1876, at Waukesha, Wisconsin, Mr. Howie was united in marriage to Miss Ellen S. McKenzie and their children are: Chauncey Leroy; Adelbert J.; and Flora Morton, the wife of Ernest Tothill and the mother of one daughter, Louise Ellen. The elder son is married and has two daughters, Ellen and Catharine; while the younger son is married and has four children, Lucile, David Morton, Adelbert J. and Robert Leroy.

Mrs. Howie is a daughter of John A. McKenzie, who was born in Caledonia, Livingston county, New York, February 18, 1823, and in early life removed to Wisconsin, stopping first at Milwaukee. He settled in Vernon, that state, when Waukesha was a cattle pasture. He began work as a thresher at ten dollars per month and continued to follow that occupation for ten years. During the gold excitement in California he started for the Pacific coast by way of Nicaragua, but finally changed his mind and returned to Wisconsin, where he bought a farm and gave his attention to its cultivation and improvement. He became the owner of one hundred and fifty-six acres, which he converted from a wild tract into a fine farm and on it erected a good brick residence in 1871. In early manhood he married Miss Margaret E. Weir, the daughter of a former employer and also a native of Caledonia, New York. They became the parents of the following children: Elizabeth, Mary J., Ellen S., John E., Janet, Flora A., Margaret A. and Mabel. The father died on the home farm, but the mother is still living at about the age of eighty years and continues to reside upon that place. She is a faithful member of the United Presbyterian church, to which her husband also belonged, and he gave his support to the republican party.

The religious faith of the Howie family is that of the Presbyterian church and in political belief Mr. Howie is a republican. He belongs to the Odd Fellows society and to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He has never sought nor desired political preferment, and though he has served several times as a member of the school board he has never held an elective office. He stands for all that is progressive in citizenship and gives his earnest support to measures and movements which he deems of public benefit. In concentrating his time and energies upon his business affairs the results have been certain because his efforts have been intelligently directed. He early realized that there is no royal road to wealth and by persistent effort and honorable dealing has reached his present creditable place among the substantial business men of the city.



Source: Mukwonago Chief November 28, 1907

First White Child Born Here

Mr. and Mrs. Geo Lea of Cottage Grove, Oregon, accompanied by Albert Hudson of Waukesha, visited Mukwonago Tuesday. Mrs. Lea, who was Lucy Hudson, and her brother Albert Hudson, were the youngest and oldest children of Mr. and Mrs. Whiting Hudson who were among the earliest settlers of Mukwonago, coming in 1836. Mrs. Hudson was the first white woman here and Albert Hudson was the first white child born here. Mr. and Mrs. Hudson lived in a wigwam at first across the road from where now live Geo. and Chas. Smith. Afterward they built a log house a little north east of the present home of the Smiths. In this house was born Albert Hudson in 1837. Afterward Mr. Hudson built the house now occupied by Clarence Perkins where his family of 3 sons and one daughter grew up. In 1867 the family moved to Tomah, this state, when Lucy was 15 years old. In the 40 years since, she has never re-visited Mukwonago till now and consequently found few familiar landmarks.