Waukesha County Biographies

Surnames Starting with:
[ A ] [ B ] [ C ] [ D ]
[ E ] [ F ] [ G ] [ H ]
[ I ] [ J ] [ K ] [ L ]
[ M ] [ N ] [ O ] [ P ]
[ Q ] [ R ] [ S ] [ T ]
[ U ] [ V ] [ W ] [ Y ] & [ Z ]


Source: History of California: Southern Coast Counties 1907 by J. M. Guinn page 1643

Jerome T. Lamb. One of the many worthy citizens and capable and industrious agriculturists of Los Angeles county, Jerome T. Lamb is the owner of a valuable little ranch, pleasantly located near Palms. Here he is successfully engaged in general ranching, exercising great skill and excellent judgment in this pursuit. A son of the late James O. Lamb, he was born, December 17, 1854, at Waukesha, Wis.

A native of Wethersfield, N. Y., James Owen Lamb was born August 19, 1825, and was left an orphan when a child. Subsequently he was bound out to a neighbor who proved very unkind to him, abusing him shamefully, overworking him, and giving him such educational advantages only as could be obtained in the short terms of night schools. At the age of fourteen years he ran away from his master, and with the assistance of an uncle shipped as a cabin boy on a whaler, in New Bedford, Mass. He served in that capacity and as deck hand for four years, subsequently following the seas as second mate for seven years. Returning home at the end of that time, he visited first his mother, and then his brother, who was living in Wisconsin. Remaining in that state, he took up a tract of wild land and settled there as a householder, for two years being engaged in general farming. In 1862 he started with a company of miners for Oregon, taking the overland trail, and after getting in Echo Canyon all of the stock belonging to the little band of emigrants was stolen. He therefore decided to remain where he was, and for six years resided in Utah, being engaged in freighting across the mountains. In the fall of 1866, with five companions, he came to California, settling at San Bernardino, where he had charge of a dairy for two years. The following six years he was engaged in farming on his own account, renting a tract of land near Los Angeles. Coming then to Palms, he rented a ranch, and in addition to managing it successfully was road overseer of his district for twelve years. Removing to Fallbrook, San Diego county, in 1900, he there lived retired until his death, June 17, 1905, at the advanced age of four score years. He was a stanch Republican in politics, active in county and state conventions, and when young was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. February 21, 1854, he married Mary Jane Fillmore, who was born in New York state, and is now living at Fallbrook, Cal. She was a second cousin of Millard Fillmore, once president of the United States, and her mother was an own cousin of President Ulysses S. Grant.

The oldest of a family of eight children, Jerome T. Lamb remained at home until about twenty-two years old, when he began working out, giving his wages to his parents. Three years later he bought a small ranch at Lincoln Park, near Pasadena, where he lived four years, carrying on his own farm and working by the day in addition. Selling out, he came to Palms, purchasing twenty-five acres of land, and has since been prosperously employed in ranching, carrying on his own farm and renting other land in this vicinity. He pays some attention to fruit growing, having set out four acres of walnuts. He has made many excellent improvements on his place, which has increased in value ten fold under his management, he having paid but $50 per acre for it, while now it is worth over $500 per acre.

November 13, 1879, Mr. Lamb married Clara E. Short, who was born in Illinois, and came to the Pacific coast in 1878. Two children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Lamb, namely : Mary Edella, wife of E. W. Jonnas, of Los Angeles, and the mother of two children, Helen Irene and Thelma; and Walter T., a well-known surveyor. Politically Mr. Lamb is an unswerving Republican, and a strong temperance man.


Source: History of Orange County, California by Samuel Armor, 1921 p1358-1361

JEROME T. LAMB. -- One of the most prosperous and successful walnut growers of Orange County but now living retired at Huntington Beach. Jerome T. Lamb is related to two distinguished American families, the Grant and Fillmore families. Mr. Lamb is a native of Wisconsin, born at Waukesha, December 17, 1854, a son of James and Mary J. (Fillmore) Lamb, both natives of the state of New York. The father of Mrs. Lamb, Daniel Fillmore, was a cousin of President Millard Fillmore, while her mother was Thankful Ann Grant, a cousin of President U. S. Grant.

When James Lamb was a lad of fourteen years he ran away from home and became a sailor on a whaling vessel, following the adventurous life of a sailor for eleven years, afterward returning to Wisconsin where he married and engaged in farming. During the year 1848, he made the trip around Cape Horn, and up to California, returning to Wisconsin in 1852. In 1857, with his family, he joined an overland train, consisting of eighty covered wagons, bound for Oregon. The emigrant train started on its long and perilous journey the year of the Mountain Meadow massacre and in crossing the Indian-infested plains they were also attacked and lost all their cows and oxen. The party reached Utah through Echo Canyon, and Mr. Lamb was obliged to remain in the canyon for six years, where he was engaged in cutting timber for saw mills. The original idea of going to Oregon was abandoned and instead Mr. Lamb and his family took the southern route, and in course of time reached San Bernardino, Cal., in 1865.

In 1871 the family moved to Los Angeles County and located on the Brea ranch, farming the land where the oil wells were afterwards found. James Lamb died in 1908 is San Diego County at the advanced age of eighty-one years; his wife returned to Los Angeles County, where she passed away in 1910 at the age of seventy-one. They were the parents of nine children, eight of whom reached maturity.

Jerome T. Lamb was the eldest child and was but three years of age when the family started on their long overland journey across the plains. He grew up in San Bernardino and Los Angeles counties, following farming in the latter county. In 1912 he located in Orange County, settling in Buaro precinct where he purchased twenty acres of land, fourteen of which he planted to walnuts and one and a fourth acres to oranges. He installed a pumping plant and has developed his place into one of the most productive walnut groves in the district.

On November 13, 1879, Jerome T. Lamb was united in marriage with Miss Clara E. Short, daughter of John E. and Mary Elizabeth (Hardy) Short, natives of Illinois, the ceremony being solemnized at Pomona. Mrs. Lamb was left an orphan at the age of twelve years, after which she made her home with an uncle, Thomas Short, a farmer at Percy, Ill.; When nineteen years old she came with a married sister to Los Angeles and was married to Mr. Lamb the following year. Of this happy union two children were born: Mary Adella is the wife of Earl W. Jonas, bridge inspector for the Salt Lake Railway Company, and they have four children -- Helen I., Thelma M., Earl W. and Margaret; Walter T. Lamb, the second child, is a civil engineer at Los Angeles and was born at Pasadena, August 22, 1883. He is in the engineering department of the Pacific Electric Railway and lives in Los Angeles. He was married August 27, 1912, to Miss Agnes Nast of Los Angeles and they are the parents of three children -- Audrey E., Mildred and Dorothy. Jerome T. Lamb is a member of Palms Lodge No. 422, Independent Order of Odd fellows, while with his wife he is a member of Acacia Rebekah Lodge No. 314, Huntington Beach.



Kansas City

Source: Reminiscences of Distinguished Men, with an Autobiography by Wm. B. Slaughter; Godfre & Crandall, Milwaukee 1878.

One of the ablest young lawyers of northwest Missouri is Gardiner Lathrop a native of Wisconsin. He was born February 16, 1850, at Waukesha, and is the son of Francis E. Lathrop, a prominent educator. He was president of Hamilton College, New York, president of the state university of Missouri, first chancellor of the University of Wisconsin, president of state university of Indiana and of the state university of Wisconsin. Gardiner was educated at the university of Missouri, and was graduated in 1867, and also from Yale College in 1869. He came to Kansas City and entered the office of Karnes and Ess, where he pursued the study of the law nearly three years. He attended Harvard Law School, graduating in 1873. He returned to Kansas City, September 1 of that year, and formed a partnership with William M. Smith, under the firm name of Lathrop and Smith, which partnership has been continued up to the present time, with the exception of a part of the year 1881, wen the firm was Lathrop, Gill and Smith. When Judge Gill was elevated to the circuit court bench the partnership was continued as first formed. Mr. Lathrop has a legal mind of great strength. It is subtle, and grasps the pivotal points of a case with great case. He is a fluent, easy speaker, a sound reasoner and an excellent advocate.

He is industrious, and is destined to occupy high rank at the bar. He was married January 16, 1879, to Miss Eva Grant, the accomplished daughter of the present Kansas City comptroller, Nathanial Grant. They have two children.



Source: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 155 page 72

Daughter of the American Revolution DAR ID # 154228 
Descendant of Elijah Pettibone
(see also Morley bio)

Elijah Pettibone
	b: 1748 in Simsbury, Conn.
	d: 1824 in Vernon, N. Y.
	to: Martha Field.
Elijah Pettibone received a pension for service as 
private in the Connecticut Line under Capt. Titus 
Watson and Col. Charles Burrell.

Child of Elijah and Martha (Field) Pettibone:
	Ebeneza Pettibone
	to: Zeruah Howe

Child of Ebeneza and Zeruah (Howe) Pettibone:
	Charles Pettibone
	b: 1802
	d: 1854
	m. 1824
	to: Cynthia Tuthill
	b: 1804
	d: 1856

Child of Charles and Cynthia (Tuthill) Pettibone:
	Harriet M. Pettibone

Elijah Pettibone (1748-1824) received a pension for service as 
private in the Connecticut Line under Capt. Titus Watson and Col. 
Charles Burrell. He was born in Simsbury, Conn.; died in Vernon, N. Y. 
Also No. 151460.


Source: The Daily Freeman and Republican. Waukesha Wisconsin, June 18, 1890

The marriage of Miss Flora McKenzie of Vernon, and Mr. C. W. Leister of Menomonee Falls, is announced for June 25, at 4 p.m. [Vernon]



30 Mar 1901-4 Sep 2000

Born on March 30, 1901 in Lomira, Selma grew up near Hustisford. She remembers playing in the woods with her brother, Irvin. At 13, she was asked to play the organ at St. Michaels Church. Little did she know she would be their church organist for the next 62 years.

Selma married Ben Lindert in 1921 and they bought a homestead nearby. In 1936 they moved to Mayville and built a home together. Ben died three years later. Selma continued as church organist and as a member of the garden club until she moved to Menomonee Falls. She enjoys reminiscing about the "old days when winter was really winter with snow as high as the farm buildings."

Source: The Centenarian Spirit in Wisconin; State of Wisconsin, Department of Health and Human Services; Division of Supportive Living.



Source: H. O. Brown and M. A. W. Brown, 1888 Publisher Chicago, Grand Army Publishing Company, 1890.
Sent in by a researcher/see contributors page.

William A. Logan, Eagle, Wis., a prominent business man and formerly a member of Franklin Bigelow Post, No. 167, while it was in existence, was born Oct. 11, 1842(sic should be 1840), in Nova Scotia, and is the son of John A. and Margaret (McDonald) Logan. The father was born in Nova Scotia and the mother in Glasgow, Scotland. Their family included eight children and three sons and two daughters are still living. When William was about four years old, his parents removed to Bangor, Maine, and three years later they located in Waukesha Co., Wis. Soon after the father and oldest daughter died, leaving seven children for the mother to provide for as best she could. The son; being a boy of independent character, when eight years old went to live with a farmer, with whom he remained until the family was reunited under the roof tree of John Griffith, a farmer, to whom the mother was married. William attended school when opportunity served and worked on the farm until he entered the army. He enlisted Nov. 11, 1861, in COmpany K, 1st Calvary, at Eagle and went to Kenosha, where he was mustered at Camp Harvey, going thence to St. Louis, and, after passing the intervening time until April in Benton Barracks, the regiment went down the river on transports to Cape Girardeau and operated during the following summer in scouting and skirmishing with the guerrillas of Quantrell, Marmaduke and Mosby, June 12, 1862. Mr. Logan was seriously injured by a fall from his horse which crippled his right arm and shoulder. No medical aid was at hand, the surgeon, Dr. Gregory, having been killed on the 11th day of the month at Chalk Bluffs by a rebel sharpshooter. After five days Mr. Logan went to Bloomfield, 30 miles distant from the camp, where for the first time his injuries received medical attention. He remained a day in hospital, received a 20-day furlough and returned to Eagle, reporting at Madison on the expiration of his leave of absence. He was there examined and discharged as unfit for military duty, July 22, 1862. He carried his arm in a sling nearly a year and, after supervising the work on his mother's farm through the summer of 1863, in the fall of 1864 he went to Washington, D.C., to enlist in a battery of Wisconsin Heavy Artillery but the command was filled and, after staying at the Capit some time, he returned to Eagle. He learned that the 46th Wisconsin Infantry was in process of organization and, Feb. 7, 1865, he enlisted in Company E and went from camp of rendezvous at Madison to Louisville, en route to Athens, Ala., where the regiment was assigned to duty on the Nashville & Decature railroad. Bill served as Corporal of his company and was occasionally engaged with the rebels in slight encounters, his military service there companying very friendly with his earlier experience. He was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn., September 27th, and was discharged at Madison three or four days later.

He returned to Eagle, Wis., and engaged in farming. In the fall of 1866 he married Mary L. Ackley, a resident and native of Walworth county. Mrs. Logan is the daughter of Charles and Louisa (Bunker) Ackley, farmers of Walworth county, where the father is still living. He was formerly a lake captain. The mother died in 1868. After marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Logan went to Winneshiek Co., Iowa, and returned after a year to Eagle. He engaged again in farming and also in expressing merchandise to Milwaukee, in which he was engaged until 1875, when he became interested in lumber business at Eagle, in which he operated 13 years. The firm with which he was connected dissolved partnership and Mr. Logan was occupied in a hotel at Waukesha three summers. In 1887 he engaged in lumber interests at Eagle, and in October, 1888, he commenced to buy grain for F. Kraus & Co. of Milwaukee, grain merchants, and is manager of the elevator at Eagle. His family includes three daughters, named Anna M., Gertrude L., and Edith M. Mr. Logan is a member of the Order of Modern Woodmen. He had three brothers in the civil war. George enlisted July 31, 1862, in Company A, 24th Wisconsin Infantry, and fought at Perryville, Stone Ridge and Chickamauga, being shot to death in the latter fight, Sept. 20, 1863. John A. Logan enlisted in Company I, 13th Wisconsin Infantry, and died from injuries received in service. Robert M. was a member of the 7th Battery, Wisconsin Light Artillery, and is now (1889) Clerk of the Circuit Court at Philips, Price Co., Wis. He is also engaged in lumber business.

Source: Soldiers and citizens' album of biographical record [of Wisconsin] containing personal sketches of army men and citizens prominent in loyalty to the Union. Also a chronological and statistical history of the civil war and a history of the Grand Army of the Republic; with portraits of soldiers and prominent citizens.



Source: Waukesha County Democrat | Waukesha, Wisconsin | Tuesday, August 28, 1860 | Page 2

At the residence of E.B. Foster, Esq., in Waukesha, on Wednesday afternoon, August the 22d, by the Rev. J.A. Savage, Mr. J.W. Lowry, of Milwaukee, to Miss Viola Foster, of Waukesha.

With the above notice we acknowledge the regular cake, and may the fair bride ever find life as pleasant as the donation was acceptable.  Printers delight in negoatiating upon such choice things, and cannot help wishing their friends a "good time," on general principles.

It is to be regretted that "John" should renounce the pleasures of bachelorhood, and take after other things.  But we presume he will be content with his measure of life, and find in the domestic circle a full realization of his most cherished anticipations.

We wish the young couple a happy honey-moon and pleasant sunshine afterwards.  May all the little Lowery incidents of their lives be fostered into acceptable gifts, until their joys are complete.



Source: March 31, 1855, Janesville Gazette, Janesville, Wisconsin

Married, at the residence of Luther Clark, in Johnstown, on the 28th inst., by D. R. Spooner, esq. Mr. Carroll Lucas and Miss Marcelia Reminington, both of Genesee, Waukesha, county.



Source: The Daily Freeman and Republican, Waukesha, Wisconsin, June 20, 1890

----Got the Money from the Coroner----
Judge Griswold went down to Desplaines (sic) Wednesday to look after some matters relative to the estate of the late Henry J. Lyman. At the time of the accident by which he met his death Mr. Lyman had a large sum in money and notes about his person, and these were taken in charge by the coroner there, by whom they have been retained up to the present week. Judge Griswold brought back with him money and papers worth nearly $2,500 belonging to the Lyman estate.



Source: Submitted by researcher/see contributors page Also see biosketches

Father: Jesse Lyons 
		b. May 18, 1767 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts
		d. October 26, 1830 in Colrain, Franklin, Massachusetts
Mother: Abigail "Nabbie" Ransom
		half sister of Jesse's first wife Lucy Ransom
		b: October 13, 1774
	m: May 29, 1796
Children: Frederick
		an older sister Lucy Lyons
		ten younger siblings
			Thomas Jefferson (died at age 2)
			Alma Taylor
Frederick's two older half siblings:
from his father's first marriage to Lucy Ransom 
	two deceased half-siblings
	Seth and Austin, who died in infancy

Also had four younger half siblings from his father's third marriage
	James McCulloch
	Sophia McCulloch

Frederick married Martha B. Stebbins on March 15, 1821 
	in Greenfield, Franklin, Massachusetts.  
Frederick Ransom Lyons died on February 21, 1881 in Waukesha, 
	Waukesha, Wisconsin.