Waukesha County Biographies

Surnames Starting with:
[ A ] [ B ] [ C ] [ D ]
[ E ] [ F ] [ G ] [ H ]
[ I ] [ J ] [ K ] [ L ]
[ M ] [ N ] [ O ] [ P ]
[ Q ] [ R ] [ S ] [ T ]
[ U ] [ V ] [ W ] [ Y ] & [ Z ]


Dr. Park was a graduate Carroll coll. (Waukesha) 1887, University of Wisconsin (scientific dept.) 1891, Woman's med. college of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia) 1894 and Philadelphia post graduate school of homeopathics 1895.



Source: The Milwaukee Journal, [Friday], [August 06, 1897]; pg. 2; col D

Prey of Red Men

John Parker, a Pewaukee Man, Murdered by Indians in Idaho

Pewaukee, Wis.-Aug. 6-A telegram was received this morning by John Parker, an old resident of this village, announcing that his son, John Parker, Jr., who has been residing in Idaho for several years, had been murdered by the Indians, and that his property, his house, horses and cattle had all been destroyed.

It seems that young Parker had recently purchased a farm in Idaho, and that it contained a spring which was very near the public road. The spring had been used by the Indians and some white settlers to water their cattle previous to the sale of the place. When Parker brought the farm he fenced it in in order to keep his cattle from straying away. This incensed the neighbors against him as they felt that the spring was public property. And it was thought that the quarrel arising from this source resulted in the crime.

Later dispatches state that it is thought that the murderers might have been some of the white settlers. Young Parker's body has not been found and it was thought that he perished in his house, which was burned in the night. His friends have searched all over without finding any clue as to his whereabouts. His parents are nearly prostrated with grief, and refuse to believe that he is dead.

Source: The Milwaukee Journal, Saturday, August 14, 1897; pg. 10; col F

A Strange Case Mysterious Disappearance of Former Resident of Pewaukee

Pewaukee, Wis., Aug. 14-One of the mysteries which will probably always remain unsolved, is the mysterious disappearance of John H. Parker, Jr., who resided in this village until two or three years ago.  A few years back Mr. Parker, who is about 26 years old, bought a farm in Idaho and moved from Pewaukee to that state.  There he resided until July 31 of this year, when he disappeared.  Nothing has been heard of him since that date, although his family has made every effort to trace him, offering large rewards for information of him dead or alive.

The whole country is being scoured and a letter received today by his brother from a friend of Parker in Idaho states that nothing is being left undone to get some trace of Parker and to bring the criminals to justice.

On Saturday, July 31, John Parker, left his farm, which is situated in an isolated stretch of country some eight miles from the nearest village, to see a neighbor on business.  Between 5 and 6 that evening he left the neighbor, whom he hired to do some work for him, and set out for home.  This was the last time that Parker was seen.  At 8 o'clock that evening shots were heard and the neighbors saw smoke coming from the direction of Parker's farm.  They hastened to the place and found the house and barns wrapped in flames and the cattle killed.

The horses were all killed, with the exception of Parker's own pony, which was missing.  A search of the premises was instituted, but nothing was found except a confused mass of footprints on the wet grass about the house, indicating that there had been a large number of assailants.  It being quite late, the search was given up and a messenger was dispatched to the village to inform the authorities and Parker's sister of the outrage.

The next morning searching parties were organized, but of no avail.  Late in the afternoon Parker's pony and dog were found wandering about in a field some distance from the farm.  Near the house was Parker's rifle case, but the rifle was missing.  The clues stopped there and no further trace of Parker could be found.

It was thought at first that the deed was the work of Indians, as they are quite hostile to the whites, having had several quarrels recently, but Miss Parker and the officials are inclined to discredit that theory, and to charge it to some of the white settlers.

It seems that there had been a quarrel recently between Parker and some of the whites concerning the ownership of a certain spring on Parker's farm, and it is thought that the quarrel let to the attack.

The sheriff is of the opinion that Parker escaped from the burning house and fled on his pony, that he was followed and shot, and that the body was spirited away and was buried.  The Parker family is one of the best known in Waukesha county, John Parker, Sr., father of the missing man, having lived in Pewaukee over forty years.  



Source: Daughters of the American Revolution

Wife of Erwin Graves.
Descendant of Maj. Warham Parks, and 
	   of Hon. Nathaniel Gorham, of Massachusetts

Warham Parks, (1752-1801), served as captain, 1775, and as major, 
1777. He offered his resignation on account of disability, 1778, 
when Washington wrote him "The service had better dispense with 
your service for a time than lose you altogether." He was born in 
Westfield, Mass.

Nathaniel Gorham, (1738-1796), was a member of the General Court, 
1775-6, and of the Board of War, 1778. He was a delegate to the 
Constitutional Convention, 1779, and was a member of the Continental 
Congress at the close of the war. He was born in Boston, and died 
in Charlestown, Mass.

Nathaniel Gorham
m: Rebecca Call

Child of Nathaniel and Rebecca (Call) Gorman
	Rebecca Gorman
	to: Warham Parks

Child of Warham and Rebecca (Gorman) Parks
	Rufus Parks
	to: Harriet Fairservice

Child of Rufus and Harriet (Fairservice) Parks
	to: Erwin Graves


Source: The History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and Lime Springs, Ia. Gathered by the Old Settlers". Editors: Rev. Thomas E. Hughes, Rev. David Edwards, Hugh G. Roberts, Thomas Hughes. Published in 1895.Page 253

Born at Cefn Mawr, Anglesea, Wales, in 1830. He emigrated to America in the spring of 1849, and staid {sic} for a season in New York. Thence he went to Waukesha, Wis., where he worked on a farm for two years; then returned to New York, residing at Rome for fifteen years. In the spring of 1881 he removed to Minneapolis. He was elected deacon of the C. M. church at Bangor, and again at Minneapolis. In 1888 he was elected alderman of the Seventh ward and served four years. Although now past life's meridian he is still a worker in every good cause, an earnest, thoughtful and conscientious man in the world and the church. Since January, 1892, he has held the responsible position of Bread Inspector for the city of Minneapolis. [PHOTO included in book]



Source: Unknown Newspaper




Inter Ocean, (Chicago, IL) July 03, 1878; pg. 3; Issue 86; col F

Waukesha, June 28. - A suit for libel has been commenced in Waukesha of a most singular nature.

Slightly west of north, about a mile distant from North Prairie, in Waukesha County, is a very fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres; most of the land is rich, black prairie. It was formerly owned by Mr. John Carlin, who, with his now aged widow, were the parties who took Isaac Taylor, then a pauper boy in an English poor house, to bring him up upon their farm in England. Thence he ran away and came to America. This boy's after history is a wonderful one in many respects, culminating in his dying a very rich man in Racine, where an orphan asylum bearing his name has been erected, and which is handsomely endowed out of his large fortune and generous benefaction. The farm at North Prairie was sold to a Mr. Murray, a Scotchman, a resident of Milwaukee, who, in turn, sold it to a Scotchman named John Hood, its present owner. Mr. Hood had two daughters; the oldest about a year and a half since married a young man named Perry. The other married John Burnell, son of one of the oldest settlers of that vicinity. The oldest daughter, Mrs. Perry, died a short time since, and, under circumstances that, if her friends are to be believed, seem quite shocking. It is claimed by several that, while Perry and Burnell were courting the two sisters, Perry choosing the elder and Burnell the younger, Burnell made improper advances toward the elder; that those advances were of such a character that considerable physical resistance was used by the girl. She informed her mother, who thought best to keep the matter quiet.

Several months after the marriages took place - both sisters were married at the same time - it is alleged that Burnell went to Mrs. Perry's house, in her husband's absence, and made a determined effort to accomplish his purpose, and only after a very severe struggle did she succeed in defeating him. Mrs. P., who was enceinte at the time, was taken prematurely ill, and died in a short time. As might have been expected, there was very great excitement, and threats of the direst revenge were freely made against Burnell. I am informed that a committee was organized and arrangements made for the lynching of Burnell had he attended the funeral. Some of his friends advised him to leave, which he did, and he staid away quite a while. His somewhat sudden and wholly unexpected return has caused the old feelings of animosity and revenge to break out anew, and threats were made that he would be killed.

Now comes another phase of the matter: John Hood, the father of the deceased Mrs. Perry, has written a letter to Mr. Burnell, his son-in-law. And accuses him (Burnell) of murdering Mrs. Perry, and coupling his accusations with very severe threats. This letter, as I am informed, was sent to Mrs. Burnell, Mr. Hood's other daughter. As a matter of course, its contents leaked out and when it was shown to Mr. Burnell, Sr., who is deeply attached to his son, who is working the homestead farm, the father at once commenced a suit for libel against Hood, and the papers have been served personally. Burnell,Sr., is quite well off. He is an Englishman, who, like so many others in that part of the country, came there in an early day very poor, and has made himself wealthy by sheer hard work and good management. Mrs. Burnell, the younger, clings to her husband as does the ivy to the old church-towers in the land whence her husband's parents came. She believes him wholly innocent, discredits every assertion made against him, and is as steadfast in her love and attachment as woman can be. Hood is well off, too, and a legal fight may be expected that will not only be costly, but will result in more bad blood if not in actual violence. It is claimed that Hood has offered $50 to any one who would shoot Burnell, denouncing him all the while as the murderer of his daughter. What adds to the interest of the matter is, that Mrs. Burnell was passionately fond of her deceased sister.

It is also claimed that Hood is, to use a common expression of his countrymen, "a wee bit daft;" that his mind is really affected, and that he is not accountable for his conduct. D. W. Summer, Esq., ex-District Attorney of Waukesha is retained by the plaintiff. He is a very able lawyer, and I am informed that he claims to have a clear case against Hood. The damages are laid at $5,000. So far no one has been retained for the defense. The trial cannot come off before the December term of the Circuit Court of Waukesha County. Already the excitement in the neighborhood is very high, and the worst passions are already aroused.



Source: The Milwaukee Sentinel, (Milwaukee, WI) August 21, 1889; pg. 4; col F


Waukesha, Aug. 20. - The interest in the suicide of Mrs. P. H. Peterson, rather increases than diminishes and enough facts have been elicited to indicate that the occasion of her taking her own life was one of domestic woe. The jurymen who served at the inquest said to-day that the facts brought out were of an unsatisfactory nature but that they felt warranted in returning only a verdict to the effect that deceased came to her death from the effects of poison, administered by her own hand. At the inquest it was ascertained that Mrs. Peterson left a communication which her husband destroyed before any other than himself was permitted to peruse it. It was found by Undertaker Williams in a garment which deceased laid in a bureau drawer where it would be likely to be sought for the very purpose that it was. Unfortunately Mr. Williams did not read the paper, but placed it behind a piece of sandpaper tacked on the wall in the room. From that place Mr. Peterson took it and read it and destroyed it. In his testimony he stated that it was burned by accident, along with a soiled handkerchief which was laid over it on the stand where he placed it. Throughout her illness no one but her husband and the attending physician, Dr. Bacon, save the children, are known to have been at the house. Neighbors were not called until the last moment, though they resided near, and the evidence can not be questioned that Mr. Peterson was not anxious that any one should see or talk with her but himself. It is these things, of which evidence is abundant, that renders the case of a startling nature, and this community has not been so wrought up for years as it is over this death.



Source: Submitted by a researcher, see contributors page

Wisconsin Pioneer
Was a Private in the 5th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers. He was born in Kinnoull, Perthshire, Scotland on 8 Aug 1842 but his family emigrated to Lisbon when he was a young man. He felt it was his duty to help preserve the Union, but being not yet of age, he enlisted on June 1, 1861 as a member of the band; fife player. Robert's record includes: Promoted to Full Principal Musician (Sergeant Major) on 19 May 1863. He served in F. Co. 5th Inf. Reg. WI and Mustered Out on 02 August 1864. He would learn several more instruments while serving, including the bugle charges. Even as a young soldier he was already a budding artist, and he sent many sketches, paintings and photos home along with his letters, about 60 of which I (Mary see contrib. page) have as transcripts. His artistic talent would lead him into the profession of stone cutter and he became famous as a sculpture and painter. His bust of General John Gibbon, is at Arlington National Cemetery. John Gibbon (4/20/1827 2/6/1896) Major General, U.S.A.; commanded the " Iron Brigade" during the Civil War; commanded party that found and buried General George Custer's troops at Little Big Horn, Montana, 1876.

Robert is listed in "Who's Who of American Artists" and his son John would work with Thomas Edison on the photographic process.



Source: The History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and Lime Springs, Ia. Gathered by the Old Settlers". Editors: Rev. Thomas E. Hughes, Rev. David Edwards, Hugh G. Roberts, Thomas Hughes. Published in 1895.Page

Born at Bryn Gwran, Anglesea, Wales, January 28, 1832. His parents were Owen and Ellen Pritchard. He emigrated to the United States in 1854, first making his home in Madison county, New York, then moving to Waukesha, Wis. August, 1855, he married Mrs. Elizabeth Rowlands, and six children were born {to} them, only one of whom survives, Mr. Arthur Pritchard, who is a merchant at Lake Crystal, Minn. There are, also, two sons of Mrs. Pritchard by her former husband in successful business at Lake Crystal, namely John Edwin and Chas. Henry Rowlands. In 1864 Mr. Pritchard moved with his family to Cambria, Minn., where he resided on a farm for four years. He then removed to the Salem neighborhood, Butternut Valley, where he purchased half a section of land. In 1873 he enlisted in the U.S. Civil Engineer Corps and helped build the Sisseton and Wahpeton Agency buildings near Ft. Wadsworth, S. Dak. In 1878 he moved to Lake Crystal, Minn., and was appointed postmaster there in 1885, but resigned the following year. Besides farming Mr. Pritchard has been engaged in bricklaying and contracting. He is active in all political, social and religious movements and a faithful member of the Welsh church. [PHOTO included in book]



Source: Waukesha Freeman | Waukesha, Wisconsin | Thursday, August 15, 1907 | Page 3


James Proctor, of Genesee, Aged 9O, Live Business Man.

A recent issue of "Fibre and Factory," a factory magazine, contained the following paragraph concerning James Proctor, a well known resident and business man of Genesee:

"James Proctor, Genesee, Wis., is without a doubt the oldest man in the business of yarn spinning in the country, who is actively interested. He buys and sells his output himself, and though close to 90 years of age would be insulted if one even hinted that he was getting old; he can be called a young man all right, and he acts the part without trouble. He journeys often to Waukesha and Milwaukee, and no doubt it is the medicinal properties in the Waukesha waters that keeps his blood circulating freely, as he is a firm believer in the merits of Waukesha waters. White Rock is his favorite water. He believes in the simon pure article, and will not work shoddy in his mill. Straight wool is his motto; he is making woolen yarns which are as near worsteds in appearance as it is possible to get it. This effect he gets on the yarn through attachments on his cards of his own invention."



Source: Waukesha Freeman | Waukesha, Wisconsin | Thursday, February 12, 1891 | Page 5

James Proctor Sr., accompanied his son Milton to Chicago last week, returning on Saturday. The physicians were well satisfied with the condition of Mr. Proctor's arm, and gave him every encouragement in regard to the recovery of the use of it.

Source: <i>Waukesha Freeman</i> | Waukesha, Wisconsin | Thursday, January 29, 1891 | Page 5

(more articles on the arm surgery in the Jan 1891 newspapers)

Milton Proctor returned home on Saturday evening, upon hearing of the illness of his wife. He suffers much pain from his arm but it is hoped that no inconvenience will result. He is now under the care of Dr. Sharpe of Eagle. [Note: His wife died shortly after his return, see obituaries.]



Source: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 71 page 96

Daughter of the American Revolution DAR ID # 70263 
Born in Waukesha, Wis. 

Wife of Hiram Rhodes. 

Descendant of Capt. Nathan Watkins. 

Daughter of Aaron Sidney Putney (1813-76) and Sarah Mower (1813-77), his wife. 

Granddaughter of Timothy Mower (1777-1852) and Eunice Watkins (1784-1860),
	his wife. 

Gr-granddaughter of Nathan Watkins and Sarah Watkins, his wife. 

Nathan Watkins (1736-1815) commanded a company of minute men at Bunker Hill and 
joined the expedition to Quebec. He served as captain of Continental infantry, 1776; 
was taken prisoner in the Burgoyne campaign, 1777, and exchanged for a British 
captain of Royal artillery. He was born in Hopkinton, Mass.; died in Naples, N. Y. 

Also No. 21973. 


Source: The Milwaukee Sentinel, (Milwaukee, WI) May 16, 1887; pg. 8; col A




Waukesha, May 15. - Capt. Foskett Maynard Putney, a well-known pioneer of Wisconsin, suffered a second stroke of paralysis last night and is not expected to survive. He has suffered from paralysis for two years past and, at his advanced age, it is feared he will not be able to withstand this last stroke, his condition to-night being regarded as very critical. Capt. Putney, who is a native of Madison county, N. Y., came to Wisconsin in May, 1830. When he was 9 years old his parents removed to White Pigeon, Mich., and while he resided there he engaged in mercantile and law business, taking an active part in the "Patriot" war and border contests, under a captain's commission conferred by Gov. Mason. In 1839 Capt. Putney located in Milwaukee, where he resided until 1845, when he removed to his farm at Prospect Hill, New Berlin, being engaged in the shoe and leather business. In 1850 he went to Waukesha where he had acquired some property and constructed the Railroad hotel, now American house. Ten years later having sold his hotel, he bought a farm in Brookfield where he lived till 1845, when he became manager of the Exchange hotel, which he conducted till 1863, when its owner Peter N. Custman, died. He then purchased the property, conducted it a few years and then leased it, temporarily resuming its management twice since that time, and retiring from active business in 1879. He was married at Belvidere, Ill., Nov. 3, 1839 to Clarissa Howell, who died in Waukesha in 1855. They had only one son, Col. Frank Howell.



Source: Unknown

Gerry Putney, settled Brookfield in the fall of 1836 before moving northward to Wisconsin-Fox porage area to locate a claim after which he returned to New York and then back again to Brookfield, with his family, by December of 1840. He is buried in Brookfield. Owned land in Section 28 in 1841, Section 19 in 1947 and Section 20.


(Sheridan; Gerry), a leading farmer, Sec. 20; P. O. Brookfield Center; was born in Madison Co., N. Y. while he was a child his parents moved to Rushville, Yates Co., N. Y., where he married on the 5th of October, 1836, Sarah E. Wadsworth, a native of Middlesex, Yates Co.; born on the 9th of August, 1817; the same year they were married, he came to Wisconsin and bought a claim near Portage, then returned home; in the spring of 1840, they moved to Milwaukee, remaining there until December of that year, when they removed to their present home, becoming pioneer settlers of the town of Brookfield; their children were Royal M., Fayette and Clayton L; the oldest of those children, Royal M., was born in Rushville, N.Y., Oct. 8, 1837; during the war of the rebellion, he enlisted in Co. E. 24th W.V.I., and was killed at Mission Ridge on the 23d of January, 1864; the second son, Fayette, died while a child; Clayton L., the youngest, resides with his parents. Mr. Putney owns 200 acres of land; he has filled various offices of trust. Is a Republican in politics.



Source: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 52 page 353

Daughter of the American Revolution DAR ID # 51778 

Born in Pewaukee, Wis. 

Wife of Frank James. 

Descendant of Capt. Nathan Watkins. 

Daughter of A. S. Putney and Sarah Mower, his wife. 

Granddaughter of Timothy Mower and Eunice Watkins, his wife. 

Gr-granddaughter of Nathan Watkins and Sarah Watkins, his wife. 

Nathan Watkins (1736-1815) commanded minute men at Bunker Hill and 
joined the expedition to Quebec. He served as captain of Continental 
Infantry, 1776; was taken prisoner in the Burgoyne campaign, 1777, 
and exchanged for a British captain of Royal Artillery. He was born 
in Hopkinton, Mass.; died in Naples, N. Y. 

Also Nos. 7109, 21972. 


Source: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 115 page 153

Daughter of the American Revolution DAR ID # 114494 

Born in Waukesha, Wis. 
Wife of Wirt Farley. 
Descendant of Capt. Nathan Watkins, as follows: 
1. Aaron Sidney Putney, Jr. (b. 1849), m. 1878 Jane Wilson Baker (b. 1857). 
2. Aaron Sidney Putney (1813-76) m. 1835 Sarah Ann Mower (1813-77). 
3. Timothy Mower (1777-1852) m. 1801 Eunice Watkins (1784-1860). 
4. Nathan Watkins m. Sarah Whitney. 

Nathan Watkins (1736-1815) commanded a company in the Massachusetts militia 
at Bunker Hill and, 1776, was captain in the Continental infantry. He was born 
in Hopkinton, Mass.; died in Naples, N. Y. 

See Also No. 70263.  


Source: Daughters of the American Revolution
(see also Randall Johnson bio)

DAR Member
Descendant of Sergt. Robert Love, of Rhode Island.

Robert Love
	b: 1730 in Coventry, R. I.
	d: 1809 in Coventry, R. I.
	to: Sarah Blanchard, his 3rd wife

Robert Love (1730-1809) signed the Test Oath 1776, and 1777 served as 
sergeant in the Rhode Island line. He was born and died in Coventry, R. I. 

Child of Robert and Sarah (Blanchard) Love:
	Robert Love
	b: 1768
	d: 1836
	m. 1788
	to: Susannah (Austin)
	b: 1766
	d: 1842

Child of Robert and Susannah (Austin) Love:
	Levi Love
	b: 1790
	d: 1875
	m. 1808
	to: Eunice Waldo
	b: 1791
	d: 1867

Child of Levi and Eunice (Waldo) Love:
	George Addison Love
	to: Mary Breese

Child of George Addison and Mary (Breese) Love
	Mary Ellen Love


Source: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 46 page 259

DAR ID # 45604 
Born in Pewaukee, Wis. 
Wife of Edward Blaisdell. 

Descendant of Sergt. Robert Love of Rhode Island. 

Daughter of Henry Orson Putney and Mary Ellen Love, his 2nd wife. 

Granddaughter of George Addison Love and Mary Breese, his wife. 

Gr-granddaughter of Levi Love (1790-1875) and Eunice Waldo (1791-1867), 
		his wife, m. 1808. 

Gr-gr-granddaughter of Robert Love, Jr. (1768-1836) and Susanna Austin 
		(1766-1842), his wife, m. 1788. 

Gr-gr-gr-granddaughter of Robert Love and Sarah Blanchard, his 3rd wife. 

Robert Love (1730-1809) signed the Test Oath 1776, and 1777 served as 
sergeant in the Rhode Island line. He was born and died in Coventry, R. I. 

See Also Nos. 5328, 10573, 14467, 42642. 


Source: The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 48 page 235

Daughter of the American Revolution DAR ID # 47496 
Born in Pewaukee, Wis. 

Wife of William J. Robinson. 

Descendant of Capt. Nathan Watkins. 
Daughter of Henry Orson Putney and Mariette C. Alexander, his wife. 
Granddaughter of Aaron S. Putney and Sarah Ann Mower, his wife. 
Gr-granddaughter of Timothy Mower and Eunice Watkins, his wife. 
Gr-gr-granddaughter of Nathan Watkins and Sarah Watkins, his wife. 

Nathan Watkins (1736-1815) commanded minute men at Bunker Hill and 
joined the expedition to Quebec. He served as captain of Continental 
Artillery 1777; was taken prisoner in the Burgoyne Campaign and was 
exchanged for a British captain of Royal Artillery. He was born in 
Hopkinton, Mass.; died in Naples, N. Y. 

Also Nos. 7109, 21972, 24210, 35056, 43888.