Skip to: Site menu | Main content

Loading

Biographical Sketches

Town of Pewaukee
Waukesha County Wisconsin Genealogy

Biographies

From "History of Waukesha County" by Western Historical Company, Chicago 1880

Back to Main Index

CHARLES BARTLETT, farmer, Sec. 3; P.O. Pewaukee; was born in Portland, Me., Dec. 28, 1805; when he was 5 years of age his parents moved to Chester, N.H., thence to Greene Co., N.Y., when he was about 15; in early life he learned the carepenter and joiner's trade and followed it for several years; he married in the city of New York, in 1831, to Abbie Smith, a native of Prospect, N.J.; in 1845 they came West and settled where they now live; their childre are, Smith, of this town, he married Grace Mill; Adeline, wife of Martin Weaver, Pewaukee; Abbie A., wife of George G. Young; Henrietta, wife of Alfred G. Young; Vera, wife of George Wheeler; Frank, married to Julia Horn, and John. Mr. Bartlett owns 320 acres of land, mostly desirably located and well improved. There are few men more thoughtful and practical than Mr. Bartlett; he has surrounded himself and family with all modern conveniences, and we find him enjoying that good, and in that prosperity and contentment which those who have devoted a lifetime to industry and integrity have a right to expect.

HENRY B. BIDWELL, farmer, Sec. 34; P. O. Waukesha; was born in Canton, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., Jan. 29, 1832; came to Wisconsin with his parents Zebulon and Salome Bidwell, now deceased, in 1836; June 9, 1867, he married in Waukesha, Lomira M. Wright, a native of Conway, Mass., and daughter of John C. and Minerva Wright, who settled in the town of Mukwonago, this county, in 1848. They have four children-Emily R., Eliza C., Ida M. and Robert H. Mr. Bidwell owns 128 acres of land, finely located, adjacent to the city of Waukesha. Mr. Bidwell has a vivid remembrance of pioneer life in Waukesha Co., and has seen it changed from a savage wild to a center of civilization, net-lined with fences, and checkered with the fairest fields of cultivation.

S. T. BOLLES, Pewaukee; was born in Oxford, Chenango Co., N. Y., Feb. 27, 1821; in 1844, he came to Wisconsin and located in Pewaukee, Waukesha Co.; in 1850, went to California, and was in various places in that State until his return to Pewaukee, in 1851; he married in Chenango Co., N. Y., Miss M. Smith, a native of that county, a most estimable lady. Mr. Bolles possesses large real-estate interest in Pewaukee, and has been ever active in promoting and encouraging, in every possible manner, the progress and growth of the village interests and has done much toward placing it in its present prosperous condition. He was elected the first President of the Village Council; was Chairman of the Town Board of Pewaukee several terms, and Justice of the Peace a number of years; is, at present writing, Notary Public, a position he has held for several terms. There is no local enterprise of any consideration that Mr. Bolles is not ready to assist in, and everything he undertakes bears the unmistakable impress of his energy and good judgment.

JAMES H. BRAIN, farmer, Sec. 15; P. O. Pewaukee; was born in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., Feb. 21, 1851; his parents were Moses A. and Martha Brain, early settlers of Pewaukee. Mr. Brain is a farmer by occupation, and is very successful; farm consists of 160 acres.

MOSES AARON BRAIN (deceased); was born in Gloucestershire, Eng., April 1, 1815. In 1840, he married a Miss Martha Jefferies; she was a native of the same shire; born Jan. 3, 1812. In 1844, Mr. Brain left his family, consisting of his wife and two children (Clement J., the eldest, was born Sept. 23, 1841, and Francis E., born May 17, 1843), to make a home in America. He settled in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., and was joined by his family in September, 1847; in 1854, his wife died leaving two children besides those mentioned-Martha E., born June 4, 1848, and James H., born Feb. 22, 1850. In 1855, he married again, Miss P. Jefferies, a sister of his first wife; she was born March 29, 1818; by this marriage there are two children-Frederick G., born March 3, 1857, and Leonard J., born July 6, 1859. Mr. Brain died Nov. 4, 1876. His oldest son, Clement J., during the war of the rebellion, enlisted in Co. G, 28th W. V. I., and died in the service at St. Louis, July 27, 1863.

ROBERT BRAY, Pewaukee; is a native of Lincolnshire, Eng.; was born in the town of Winterton, Jan. 10, 1853. In his native town he learned the mason's trade; Sept. 6, 1872, he married, in Lincolnshire, Emily Kendall. They emigrated to this country in 1873; located in Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., where they have since resided; they have three children. Mr. Bray takes contracts in brick and stone work, and, being a thorough mechanic, he is steadily engaged. He was Village Marshal in 1879.

SAMUEL BREESE, an extensive farmer and stock-grower, Sec. 17; P. O. Waukesha, was born in Montgomeryshire, Wales, in 1835; in 1847, he accompanied his parents, Samuel and Eleanor Breese to this country; they settled in the town of Genesee, this county, where he married, in 1861, Elizabeth Jones; they have eight children-Samuel, Mary E., Richard P., Lizzie A., Margaret H., William J., Sarah J. and Laura B. Mr. Breese owns nearly a section of land in this county, also owns land in Howard Co., Iowa. Mr. Breese is largely engaged in stock-growing, and owes his success in life to his good management and active industry; his buildings are as fine and commodious as any in the county, and his land is desirably located.

WILLIAM CHAPMAN, farmer, Sec. 23; P. O. Waukesha; was born in Lincolnshire, Eng., Jan. 1, 1822. In 1850 he crossed the Atlantic, came to Wisconsin and located in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Sept. 1, 1853. He married Caroline M. Horn, daughter of Solomon and Elizabeth Horn, natives of England, who settled in Wisconsin in 1837; she was born Dec. 28, 1832. They have eight children: William S., George M., Susan C., Esther H., Charles N., Nettie M., Fidelia and Wesley H. Mr. Chapman and wife have resided in Pewaukee since their marriage, with the exception of about four years, when they lived in Shawassee Co., Mich. They own 140 acres of land, and are members of the M. E. Church. His farm is finely improved and well located, possessing many natural advantages.

A. M. CLARK, one of the first settlers of Pewaukee, was born in Essex Co., Vt., Feb. 7, 1817. He came to Wisconsin in 1837, and located where the village of Pewaukee now stands, and has made it his home since. In the early history of the village, he was largely interested-in company with his father, Deacon Asa Clark-in real estate and milling, they owning the greater portion of the land that the village was laid out on, and erecting the first saw and flouring mills; he erected the first hotel, and many more of the improvements made in the village in its infancy. Mr. Clark has been married twice; first, in 1847, to Fidelia Bradley; she died, leaving two children, Charles B. (now traveling salesman for Green, Button & Co., wholesale druggists, Milwaukee), and Martha A. His present wife was Sarah Hardman; they have two children, G. Frank and Jennie. Mr. Clark has never been ambitious for office, but has been frequently selected by his fellow-citizens to fill positions of honor and trust. He is, at present writing (1880), President of the Village Council, a position he is filling with general satisfaction to the people. He has spent a good many years of his life as a farmer, and owns a valuable farm adjacent to the village. He is active in promoting the material interests of the community and business enterprises of Pewaukee, and has always manifested an active interest in the welfare of the village, which he has been identified with from its earliest history to the present time.

CHRIST. CLASEN, merchant, Duplainville; was born in Schwerin, Mecklenburg, Germany, Dec. 23, 1844; in 1867 he came to this country and lived in Sussex, Waukesha Co., Wis., nearly two years, at the end of which time he engaged in farming in Granville, Milwaukee Co., until 1877, in which year he engaged in general merchandising in Duplainville. He was married in Sussex, Wis., to Miss Bertha Gust; they have two children, Henry and Annie. Mr. Clasen carries a full line of groceries, dry goods, wooden-ware, etc., and is doing a good business.

O. P. CLINTON, cheese manufacturer; P. O. Waukesha; was born in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., in 1840; his parents were Allen and Adeline Clinton, who came to Wisconsin and settled in Pewaukee, in 1837. He was married in 1866 in the town of Rushford, Winnebago Co., Wis., to Miss Anna E. Douglas, daughter of Barzillia Douglas, a pioneer settler of Wisconsin, and now a resident of this town (Pewaukee); she was born in Milwaukee County, Wis.; they have two children, Mabel M., and Abby M. During the war of the rebellion Mr. Clinton enlisted as a private in Co. B., 1st W. V. C., was promoted Lieutenant, served three years, and was honorably discharged. He is Treasurer of the Wisconsin Dairyman's Association. In company with O. Z. Olin, he is extensively engaged in the manufacturing of cheese, running four factories, viz.: the Waukesha cheese factory, Waukesha; the Zion, located in Delafield; the Bethesda, located in Genesee, and the Mukwonago cheese factory; they manufacture about 130,000 pounds yearly. Mr. Clinton is a thorough and capable business man, and is very successful.

FRANC P. COGSWELL, painter, Pewaukee; was born in the town of Lisbon, Waukesha Co., Wis., June 17, 1851; his father, David F. Cogswell, was a native of Bennington, Vt., came to Wisconsin and settled in Waukesha County at an early day. He married, in the town of Lisbon, in 1850, Mary J. Potter; was interested in many business enterprises in this county for several years, and a portion of the time was owner of and run the Pewaukee flour mills; his wife died in Pewaukee; he is now living at Sheboygan Falls; their children are Franc P., and Laura E., wife of Mr. Porier, Green Bay. Franc P., the oldest of the children, and the subject of this sketch, was educated at Detroit, Mich., and early in life learned the painter's trade which he has followed for several years. He is an active and leading member in the literary society of this village. He understands his business thoroughly, and consequently has a prosperous and constantly increasing trade in the line of ornamental, house, sign, carriage painting, etc.

EMANUEL COOK, farmer, Sec. 1; P. O. Duplainville; is a native of Yorkshire, England, born Sept. 30, 1827. In 1845 he crossed the ocean to make a home in the "New World." In October, 1850, he was married in Rome, N. Y., to Hannah Brown, she was also a native of Yorkshire, England; in 1851 they came to Wisconsin and settled in the town of Pewaukee, which has been their home since. They have one daughter, Mary Jane, now the wife of George Wilson, of this town. Mr. Cook owns 240 acres of land, and has been prosperous as an agriculturist; his land is finely located, well improved and possesses many natural advantages. His natural characteristic in life has been one of ceaseless activity and industry, and he has made by honest efforts a handsome property, which secures to him that independence of plenty which he now enjoys.

JOSEPH COOK, farmer, Sec. 13; P. O. Duplainville; is a native of Yorkshire, England; was born Sept. 29, 1817. He married, in his native place, Elizabeth Barker; they came to this country in 1845; lived in Oneida Co., New York, until 1851, when they came to Wisconsin, settling in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., where she died; she was born in Yorkshire, England; was an earnest Christian woman; his present wife was Jeannette Howitt, a native of Ayrshire, Scotland; is a most estimable lady. Mr. Cook owns 220 acres of land; his home farm is finely improved; his life has been marked by enterprise, energy and honest effort, and he has made himself what he is, a worthy type of independent manhood, and may be justly proud of his success in life.

JOSEPH COOPER, farmer, Sec. 17; P. O. Pewaukee; was born in Lincolnshire, England, March 7, 1827. He married in Lincolnshire, Helen Roberts; they came to this country in 1852; first settled in the town of Lisbon, Waukesha Co., Wis., where they remained until 1855, when they moved to where they now live; their children are Elizabeth, Mary, George and Henry. Mr. Cooper, in company with George Roberts, a brother-in-law, owns 202 acres of land; they are leading farmers and have improvements that compare favorably with any in the county.

JOHN DALE, farmer, Sec. 2; P. O. Duplainville; was born in Blackamoor, Yorkshire, England, April 25, 1816; he came to this country in 1845, and in 1847 married in Rome, Oneida Co., N. Y., Mary Cook, also a native of Yorkshire, England; they came to Wisconsin in 1850, and have resided in the town of Pewaukee most of the time since; they have one daughter, Esther, wife of Sylvester Redford, who has one child, Caroline M. Mr. Dale owns 90 acres of land, most advantageously located and well improved; he has been very active in life, but of late years has, to a great extent, retired from farming, and is taking that ease and comfort that a well-spent and successful life deserves; his son-in-law, Mr. Redford, manages the farm.

CHARLES G. DEISSNER, proprietor of the Phoenix Flouring Mills, Sec. 26; Waukesha; was born in Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., Sept. 8, 1855; his father was the Hon. C. T. Deissner, a native of Saxony, Germany, who married Louisa Bauermeister, and was the son of D. G. Deissner, who settled in this town (Pewaukee) in 1840; he was a member of the Wisconsin Assembly in 1859. Charles T., the subject of this sketch, and proprietor of the Phoenix Flouring Mills married Miss Nettie, daughter of Benjamin F. and Elizabeth Rolf, pioneer settlers of Waukesha Co.; afterward removed to near Osage, Mitchell Co., Iowa, where she was born; they have one child, Charles W. Mr. Deissner is an active and energetic citizen; his mills are kept constantly running, and the flour has a wide reputation on account of its superior quality.

ISAAC EDWARDS, farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 2; P. O. Pewaukee; was born in Quebec, Canada, in 1834; came to Wisconsin with his parents, Henry and Ellen Edwards, in 1855; they settled in the town of Lisbon, Waukesha Co., where they still reside, old and respected citizens. He married in Lisbon, Mary Ann Wilkins, daughter of James and Mary Ann Wilkins, of that town; their children are Melinda, Cora, Julia, Ida, Irene and Nellie. In 1865 Mr. Edwards moved on his present farm; he owns 136 acres of land, is extensively engaged in stock-raising, and is one of Pewaukee's most active and enterprising citizens; his farm is well improved and located in a fine expanse of country, and possessing almost every advantage for agricultural and stock-raising purposes.

ADAM J. ELLIOTT, farmer, Sec. 17; P. O. Pewaukee; was born in St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., in 1844; came to this county in 1863; married in 1868 Mary Branch, widow of G. Branch, who died in 1866; her father was J. Beechandley, a native of England, who came to Wisconsin in 1840; settled in the town of Delafield, this county, in 1842, where he was a number of years a practicing veterinarian; by her marriage with Mr. Branch there are two children, Katie G. and Georgie M. Mr. Elliott farms 160 acres of land; farm is pleasantly located and well improved.

S. A. FOX, farmer and stock-raiser, Secs. 35 and 36; P. O. Waukesha; was born in Oxfordshire, England, on the 9th of February, 1840. In 1853, he came to this country with his parents, Samuel and Jane Fox; they settled in the town of Waukesha, Wis. S. A. Fox, the subject of this notice, married in Waukesha, Miss A. E. Smart, a daughter of Richard Smart; they have three children-Ida J., Lucy A. and Albert W. Mr. Fox owns a finely located farm; takes considerable interest in the growing of fine stock, in which he is engaged to quite an extent. His farm is well improved.

ELON FULLER, farmer, Sec. 33; P. O. Waukesha; the oldest settler now living in the town of Pewaukee, is a native of Bennington County, Vt.; was born Sept. 2, 1816; when he was 12 years of age his parents, Hosea and Deborah Fuller, moved to Delaware Co., Ohio, and, after remaining there about two years, removed to Kalamazoo Co., Mich., where the subject of this sketch remained until 1835, when, in company with his brother-in-law, Isaac B. Judson, he came to Wisconsin and entered land and erected a cabin in what is now the Southern portion of the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., they being the first settlers. Mr. Fuller married in Pewaukee, Jan. 11, 1843, Ursula M. Sears, a native of Buffalo, N. Y., and daughter of Isaac Sears, who settled in Pewaukee in 1840; their children are Galusha E., born Dec. 18, 8143; he married Martha Winnie, and resides in Pewaukee; Monroe J., born June 8, 1845, died Nov. 4, 1846; Eugene S., born April 8, 1850, died Dec. 9, 1876; he was a rising young man, energetic, and rapidly advancing in his profession, that of a physician. Mr. Fuller owns 160 acres of land, located close to the city of Waukesha, and finely improved; he has been elected to various local offices, and has taken an active interest in the progress and development of the town wherein he has lived so long, being, as heretofore stated, one of the two who made the first settlement and entered the first land, as well as erecting the first cabin. His parents, Hosea and Deborah Fuller, settled in Pewaukee in 1837, and are now the oldest couple living in the town, both being over 90 years of age.

J. A. GAUTHIER, farmer and house mover, Sec. 19; P. O. Waukesha; was born in Cleveland, Ohio, Sept. 28, 1837; in 1838 his parents, Joseph A. and Margaret Gauthier, came to Wisconsin, settling in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co.; in 1860 he married in Pewaukee Emeline Kuney, daughter of Jacob and Louisa Kuney, who were a good many years residents of this county, and are now living in Earlville, Ill.; in 1866 Mr. Gauthier moved to Winnesheik Co., Iowa; after remaining a short time there, removed to Abilene, Dickinson Co., Kan.; while there he was Deputy Sheriff three years, and was City Marshal an equal length of time; in about 1875 he returned to this county, and has resided in the town of Pewaukee since; children are Emma, Hattie, Joseph, Mary, Nellie, Willie and Lillie. Mr. G. is Assessor of the town of Pewaukee; he owns 80 acres of land; he has every facility for moving buildings.

JOHN GENTZ, farmer, Sec. 24; P.O. Duplainville; was born in Prussia Nov 28, 1839; in 1847 he came to this country with his parents, Matthias and Mary Gentz, now deceased; they settled in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., the same year of their arrival in this country; he married in this town (Pewaukee) Elizabeth Schmitz; and have thirteen children. Mr. Gentz has served as a member of the town Board of Supervisors several terms, and has been elected to other local offices; he owns 112 acres of land, well improved; he is an active, public-spirited citizen, taking an active interest in everything that tends to promote the prosperity of the town of Pewaukee and county in general.

HON. B. F. GOSS, merchant, Pewaukee, was born in Lancaster, N. H.; April 24, 1832; at Lancaster he was educated and learned the printer's trade, and in 1841 came to Wisconsin; worked at his trade in Milwaukee until the spring of the following year (1842), when he came to Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., and entered land in Sec. 17, and engaged in farming; in 1855, he was a member of the Wisconsin Assembly; at the expiration of his term of office he moved to Freeport, Ill., and there in connection with his brother, N. S. Goss, carried on a large grocery store for about one year; he then moved to Waverly, Iowa, and engaged in the real-estate business about two years, at the end of which time he went to Neosha Falls, Kan., where he in company with his brother, N. S. Goss, and a brother-in-law, T. L. Clark, and W. J. Brown, organized into a company, purchased several hundred acres of land, laid out the town of Neosha Falls, built a dam, erected mills, and made other improvements; he remained in active business at Neosha Falls until October, 1861, when he raised a company of cavalry, and was elected captain; the company was mustered into the service at Iowa, Kan., into the 9th Kansas Cavalry, as Co. F.; was mustered out of the service in January, 1865, Mr. Goss having served as its captain, participating in every march, movement, etc., his command was in; shortly after his return from the army, he sold his interests in Neosha Falls, and in 1866 returned to Pewaukee and engaged in general merchandising, and has a large trade. Jan. 21, 1851, he was married in Pewaukee to Abby B. Bradley, a native of Cayuga Co., N. Y., born Oct. 6, 1832; one child living, Clara F., wife of B. F. Boorman of Pewaukee. Though Mr. Goss has never been ambitious for office, he has been elected a member of the Wisconsin Assembly, and other various local offices in the village of Pewaukee; to every position he has been called on to fill, he has brought abilities amply adequate to the performance of every duty devolving. Upon him, and a sincerity of purpose which carried all of his undertakings to a successful issue; he owns several acres of land adjacent to the village and Pewaukee Lake, where he has almost every variety of fruit that can be cultivated in Wisconsin, and spends much of his time in overseeing its management, and beautifying its grounds; he has a fine collection of bird's eggs, wherein the greater part of the birds of the United States are represented, besides many from the northern parts of America and Europe; he is perfectly familiar with the history of each species of bird represented, and can give an accurate description of its habits, nature, etc.

A. W. GRISWOLD, a leading farmer, Sec. 12; P. O. Duplainville; was born in Johnstown, Montgomery Co., New York, April 15, 1809. In 1844, he came to Wisconsin. settled in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., which has been his home since. He married in his native country, Elizabeth Cough, a most estimable woman; they have three children---Milton S., an attorney, Waukesha; John A. and Henry W. Mr. Griswold owns 150 acres of land; he has filled various public offices, being a number of times elected to the office of Town Supervisor, Justice of the Peace, and School Superintendent."

J. A. GRISWOLD, farmer, Sec. 12; Duplainville; was born in this town (Pewaukee), July 1 1845; his parents are A. W. and Elizabeth Griswold, pioneer settlers and still honored residents of Pewaukee; he married Fanny Jeffery, daughter of William and Mary Jeffery, early settlers of the town of Lisbon, this county; they were married March 30, 1868; have three children---Alice E., Mary E. and Willard M. Mr. Griswold holds the office of Justice of the Peace; he is extensively engaged in farming, and is a man of much energy and enterprise."

ARCHIBALD HARRIS, farmer, Sec. 2; P. O. Duplainville; is a native of Perthshire, Scotland; was born near the city of Perth in 1837; in 1854, he came with his parents-Peter and Jeannette Harris-to this country, and settled in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., where they died. He married in Pewaukee, Elizabeth Sargeant, a native of St. Catharines, Canada; they have four children-Robert A., Walter, John F., and Ellen. Mr. Harris owns 152 acres of land; is engaged in farming and stock-raising to quite an extent; his farm is situated in one of the best portions of Waukesha County, and possesses every advantage native to the county, and is well improved. Mr. Harris, is public spirited, and takes an interest in every enterprise that gives promise of being of benefit to the general public.

WILLIAM HASKINS, farmer, Sec. 4; P. O. Pewaukee; this gentleman, a pioneer settler of the town of Pewaukee, is a native of Gloucestershire, England; was born near Bristol in 1812; he married in his native country, Sarah S. Campbell; they emigrated to this country, and settled in Pewaukee, when it was comparatively a wilderness, and endured the hardships and privations that the early settlers of any new country must necessarily undergo; their children are Sarah A., now the wife of William Bolles, Pewaukee; Mary, wife of George Hodgson, also of Pewaukee; Martha, wife of Edward Dougherty, of the town of Lisbon, this county; Emily S., wife of John Hodgson, Jr., Pewaukee; John married Melissa A. Storms, lives in Andrew Co., Mo.; Jane, wife of J. T. Weaver, Lisbon, this county; George W., married Julia A. Skeeper, resides in Pewaukee; Edwin, at home. Mr. Haskins owns 80 acres of valuable land adjacent to the village of Pewaukee; he justly ranks among the pioneer settlers of Waukesha County; when he cast his fortunes in Pewaukee he had scarcely anything; but, entering land, he set about improving with that untiring industry characteristic of him, and has made himself a home where he surrounded by comforts.

M. R. HEWITT, physician and surgeon, Pewaukee; was born in Conneaut, Ashtabula Co., Ohio, Nov. 25, 1844; was educated in his native town, and commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. E. D. Merriman, now president of the medical society of that county; after spending some time in the office of Dr. Merriman, he entered the Bellevue Hospital Medical Institute, City of New York, where he graduated in the spring of 1869, and in June of the same year came to Wisconsin, located in Pewaukee, where he has acquired a goodly reputation as a physician and surgeon, and for strict honor and integrity; socially he is highly esteemed; is a member of the State Medical Society. November 25, 1873, Dr. Hewitt married Martha Currie, a native of Caledonia, Livingston Co., N. Y., and daughter of Dr. Currie, and who in the early history of Pewaukee, was a practicing physician a number of years. Dr. Hewitt and wife are members of the Congregational Church; they have two children, Maud and Grace.

STEPHEN HEXT, farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 30; P.O. Waukesha; is a native of Devonshire, England; born in 1835; in 1843, he came with his parents, Richard and Elizabeth Hext, to this country, they settled in the town of Delafield, Waukesha Co., Wis., where he married Martha Goodyear, daughter of John Goodyear, now a resident of Pewaukee; they have five children- Susan, wife of Joseph Seaborn, of Delafield, Mattie, wife of A. Pope; William, Mary, and Nellie. Mr. Hext ownes(sic) 356 acres of land; is engaged in farming and stock-growing; his farm is splendidly improved, and well located. He has been more than ordinarily successful in life, and has accumulated quite a property.

JOHN HODGSON, farmer, Sec. 2; P. O. Pewaukee, is a native of Yorkshire, England; was born Nov. 5, 1815. In 1836, he married in his native country, Anna Sellers; in 1858, they emigrated to this country, located in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., where they have since resided. Their children are-George, who married Mary Haskins, they reside in this town (Pewaukee); William, married Emma Redford, they reside in St. Mary's, Kansas; John, married Emily Haskins; Thomas, married Alvina Keeter; Robert, not married, blacksmith, at St. Mary's, Kansas; Albert, a teacher; Mary, Ella and Jane. Mr. Hodgson owns 122 acres of land; is an enterprising farmer and is quite extensively engaged in stock-raising; his farm is well improved, and fairly located. Mr. Hodgson owes his success in life to his own efforts, which have been marked by enterprise and energy; he has made for himself a competence, which renders him independent of engaging in the turmoil of active life during his declining years.

HON. M. S. HODGSON, Sec. 27; P. O. Waukesha; was born in Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., May 3, 1843. During the war of the rebellion, he enlisted in Co. K, 17th Mich. Inf.; served with Gen. Grant, through the siege of Vicksburg, and with Gen. Burnside, through the siege of Knoxville; was a member of the Wisconsin Assembly in 1875. January 25, 1879, he married Jessie North, daughter of Prof. A. F. North, of Pewaukee. He is extensively engaged in farming, and is one of Pewaukee's most enterprising and energetic citizens, and has taken an active part in the advancement of her public interests.

THOMAS HODGSON, farmer, Sec. 25; P. O. Waukesha; was born in Yorkshire, England, on the 24th of April, 1850; came to this country with his parents, John and Anna Hodgson, settled in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis.; he married on the 17th of December, 1872, in the town of Lisbon, Alvina Keeter; she was the daughter of Jacob and Henrietta Keeter, of this county, and was born Aug. 14, 1851; they have one child, James H., born Dec. 12, 1873. Mr. Hodgson owns 91 acres of land most desirably located.

SOLOMON HORN, farmer, Pewaukee; this gentleman, a pioneer settler of Wisconsin, is a native of County Kent, England; born March 7, 1829; in 1836 his parents emigrated to America, lived in New York City until the spring of 1837, when they came to Wisconsin and settled in Milwaukee Co., where they remained until the following year, when they moved to this town (Pewaukee); in 1849, he went to California, followed gold mining in Placerville and vicinity until 1852, when he returned to this county. July 3, 1854, he married in Pewaukee, Hannah Edwards, daughter of Thomas and Hannah Edwards, natives of Wales, who settled in this county in 1842, thus becoming pioneer settlers; they have four children-Solomon T., who married in this county Ella Ford, they now live in Atwood, Kan.; Julia, wife of Frank Bartlett, of Pewaukee, Sylvia and Clara. Mr. Horn owns a finely improved farm adjacent to the village of Pewaukee. Himself and wife are members of the Baptist Church.

CHARLES JAMES, farmer, Sec. 31; P. O. Waukesha; was born in Cardiganshire, Wales, in 1820; came to this country in 1847, settled in the town of Ottawa, Waukesha Co., Wis.; has been twice married; first wife was Esther Edwards; she died in Genesee, this county; present wife was Margaret Williams; by first marriage there were two children-Charles, who now lives in Delafield; he married Elizabeth Davis; John lives in Kansas; present wife was Margaret Williams, a native of Wales, and a daughter of John and Mary Williams, early settlers of Waukesha Co.; they have eleven children-John, who works at the carpenter and joiner's trade, Mary G., George E., a druggist in Kansas, William, Henry, Morgan, Alice, Margaret, Samuel D., Arthur and Irwin. Mr. James owns 95 acres of land; has been a resident of the town of Pewaukee a number of years; in early life he learned the stonemason's trade, and worked at it the most of his active life.

E. W. JENKINS, farmer; P. O. Waukesha; is a native of Montgomeryshire, North Wales; born in the year 1820; he came to this country in 1842; lived in Utica, N. Y., until 1844, working at shoemaking, at trade he had learned in his native country; in 1844 he came to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he remained about one year, at the end of which time he removed to his present home. He married, in Racine, Wisconsin, Jane James; she was also a native of Wales; was born in Cardiganshire; they have four children, William, John, Mary and Sarah. Mr. Jenkins owns a desirably located farm of 230 acres of land, located on the Waterville road, three miles distant from Waukesha; he is extensively engaged in farming and stock-raising, and has been very successful in life. He has been elected to various local offices; is the present School Treasurer in his district, a position he has filled several terms; was Town Assessor, and has also been elected to other local offices.

J. AUGUST JESSE, farmer; Sec. 15; P. O. Waukesha; was born in Bramberg, Prussia, Oct. 11, 1841; came to this country in 1865; lived in Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., until the following year (1866), when he went to Virginia City, Nev., remaining until 1874, in which year he returned to this town, Pewaukee. May 18, 1875, he married in Pewaukee; the maiden name of his wife was Lizzie Heil. He is a member of the Town Board of Supervisors; owns 150 acres of land, finely improved; is an energetic and enterprising citizen, and active in public affairs.

WILLIAM JONES, proprietor of meat market, Pewaukee; was born in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., April 17, 1847, therefore is a native to the manor born. His father, John L. Jones, a native of England, emigrated to this country, and settled in Pewaukee in 1845, remaining until 1852, when he returned to England, taking his family with him. In Wellington, England, the subject of this sketch married Harriet M. Palin; in 1869, they came to this country, and he engaged in his present business (that of keeping market); the same year they had four children-Walker C., Walter F., John F. and William. Mr. Jones is at present writing a member of the Village Council; he is an enterprising business man, possessed of much energy, and, by his courteous manners and fair dealing, has secured a large and constantly increasing trade.

JOHN KENDELL, farmer, Sec. 1; P. O. Sussex; was born in Dorsetshire, England, Jan. 26, 1834; he married, in his native country, Mary Ann Spurrier; she died in England, and he came to this country in 1871; located in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., which has been his home since. Feb. 6, 1875, he married his present wife, Mary A. Kendell, a native of Dorchester, Eng., widow of Nicholas Kendell, and the daughter of James W. and Mary A. Wilkins, who were esteemed citizens of Lisbon, this county; by Mr. Kendell's first marriage there were three children-Fannie J., now the wife of J. W. Wilkins, a leading farmer of Pewaukee; Henry W., George W. Mr. Kendell owns a pleasantly located farm, and is a liberal and public-spirited citizen, always ready and willing to take part in any enterprise that gives promise of general good.

S. W. KETCHUM, farmer, Sec. 14; P. O. Duplainville; was born Nov. 6, 1817, in Livingston Co., N. Y.; he came to Wisconsin in 1845, and settled in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., in May of that year. He married, in Pewaukee, in 1849, Miss Philena Wickware; she was born in Rensselaer Co., N. Y., and was the daughter of John and Alice Wickware, early settlers of Oswego, N. Y. Mr. Ketchum has continually resided in the town of Pewaukee since May, 1845, and is one of the oldest settlers living in the eastern portion of the town; he owns a pleasantly located farm, well improved; his father, Sylvester Ketchum, was a native of Chenango Co., N. Y.; he married Lucy Woodward; they came to Wisconsin in any early day; he is buried in the town of Lisbon, this county; she is living in Chautauqua Co., N. Y.

ANTHONY LABAIR, JR., boot and shoe dealer, Pewaukee; was born in Plattsburg, Clinton Co., N.Y., where his early life was spent, with the exception of seven years which he lived in Canada; in 1859, he came to Wisconsin and engaged in his present business. He has been twice married- first, in Clinton Co., N.Y. to Catherine Trombly; she died in Pewaukee; his present wife was Catherine Walsh, daughter of Edward P. and Mary A. Walsh, pioneer settlers of Milwaukee; they have one child-Edward A. Mr. Labair has been a member of the Village Council two years, and has held the office of Town Treasurer, and taken an active part in the promotion of the public interests of Pewaukee; in politics, he is a Republican; his father, Anthony Labair, is a native of Lacadia, Canada. He married, in Plattsburg, Clinton Co., N.Y., Rebecca Goike; about a year after they were married, they went to Canada, remaining there about seven years, at the end of which time, they returned to Clinton Co., N.Y., moving thence to Wisconsin in 1855, locating in Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., where they still reside, old and respected citizens.

WILLIAM LANGMIRE, farmer, Sec. 6; P. O. Pewaukee; was born in Westmoreland, Eng., May 8, 1803. June 20, 1841, he married in his native country Miss D. Knight, a native of Lancastershire, Eng.; born June 20, 1813; in 1844, they came to America, settled in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., where they have since lived; they own a nicely improved farm, located in full view of Pewaukee Lake. Mr. Langmire and wife are old settlers of Pewaukee; they have witnessed the trials incident to settling of a new country, and have, by perseverance and industry, made themselves a comfortable home, where they are spending their remaining years with that comfort and peace they are well entitled to; they have been very successful in life.

M. LYONS, wagon and carriage maker, Pewaukee; is a native of Genesee County, N. Y.; was born in the Town of Bethany, Sept. 17, 1831; while he was young, his parents, John and Betsey Lyons, moved to Batavia, N. Y., where he was educated; in 1848, he came to Wisconsin and located in Wauwatosa, Milwaukee Co., where he remained till Aug. 20, 1862, when he enlisted at Milwaukee in Co. E, 24th W. V. I.; served until June, 1865, when he was honorably discharged; he was in a number of battles, the principal ones being Resaca, Altoona, Atlanta, Franklin, Spring Hill and Nashville; after his discharge from the United States service, he returned to Wisconsin, and worked in Milwaukee at his trade about one year; then went to Wauwatosa, where he engaged in farming for several years; then came to the town of Brookfield, this county, where he married, Sept. 18, 1878, Mary Magill, a native of the City of New York; they have one child, Alice E.

FRANK McBEAN, Pewaukee; is a native of Livingston Co., N. Y.; was born in the town of York, July 26, 1837; he was educated, and learned the painter's trade in his native town. In 1857, he came to Wisconsin and located in the county of Waukesha, where he married, in December, 1858, Charlotte Bull, a native of Derbyshire, Eng.; their children are Frank E., Alice, Mary E., Lucy and George. During the war of the rebellion, Mr. McBean served in the 13th W. V. I.; enlisted at Janesville in December, 1861, veteraned in February, 1864, re-enlisted and served until August, 1865, when he was honorably discharged; while in the service he was Sergeant; after his discharge from the service he lived in the town of Merton, this county, until 1873, in which year he removed to Pewaukee, where he has since resided. He is, at present writing, Justice of the Peace and Town Clerk.

JOHN MADDEN, proprietor of "Rocky Point Farm," P. O. Pewaukee; was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, Oct. 26, 1825; crossed the Atlantic in 1834, making his home in Burlington, Vt., until 1837, when he went to Canada, remaining until 1847, in which year he came to Milwaukee, Wis., where he lived about four years, then came to this county, and married, at Menominee, June 16, 1851, Mary Ryan (daughter of Patrick and Mary Ryan, pioneer settlers of Watertown, Wis.); they lived in Menominee until 1865, then moved to the town of Merton, thence to where they now reside in 1871; their children are seven-Annie, wife of Patrick Cudahay, Milwaukee; Thomas, George, Mary, John, Daniel, Cornelius, deceased; Michael. Mr. Madden's farm consists of 112 acres, and is as desirably located as any in the town of Pewaukee.

GEORGE W. MANNERING, painter, Pewaukee; was born in Hamilton, N. Y., Oct. 5, 1840; while he was a child his parents moved to Clinton, Oneida Co., where he remained until the breaking-out of the war of the rebellion; he was the first man in that county to enlist in the cause; he served in Battery A, 1st N. Y., about ten months, at the end of which time he was transferred to the 8th N. Y. Light Artillery, in which he served until Sept. 12, 1864, when he was honorably discharged; the records of his regiment show he was a gallant and brave soldier; he came to Wisconsin in 1873, located in Pewaukee; engaged in painting, having learned that trade in the East, and, being an excellent workman, he has a large and constantly increasing business. He has been twice married; his first wife was Sarah J. Corbett; she died in Pewaukee; his present wife was Ella Lockhart. There are two children by the first marriage-Alice H. and Edward C. Mr. Mannering is a Republican in politics; is a member of the Masonic fraternity.

A. G. MARSHALL, farmer, Sec. 32; P. O. Waukesha; was born in Poultney, Rutland Co., Vt., in 1826; in 1854, went to Cleveland, Ohio; came to Wisconsin in the spring of 1855; located in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., where he married, in 1863, Amaretta Clinton, daughter of Allen and Adaline Clinton, who settled in this town (Pewaukee) in 1837; she was born in St. Lawrence Co., N. Y.; they have had four children, none of whom are living. Mr. Marshall has filled various local offices. He owns 105 acres of land. His parents were Ichabod and Mary Marshall, who came to Wisconsin in 1855, settled in this town (Pewaukee), and were honored citizens. Mr. Marshall is a leading farmer in the town of Pewaukee, and his home is surrounded with all the modern improvements that tend to promote comfort.

NATHAN F. MAYNARD, farmer, Sec. 25; P. O. Waukesha; was born in the town of Fenner, Madison Co., N. Y., Dec. 29, 1815; he remained in Madison Co. until 1837, in which year he came to Wisconsin and lived in Milwaukee until 1843, when he came to the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., where he has resided since. Mr. Maynard has been married three times; his first wife was Desdemona Raymond, a native of New York, born Jan. 15, 1821, died Jan. 29, 1850; his second wife, Mary J. Sampson, was born in New York; she died July 4, 1852; his present wife, Sally A. White, was born April 15, 1833, in Jefferson Co., N. Y., and came to Wisconsin in 1845; children by first marriage were William A., Franklin C. and M. Josephine; the two sons were soldiers of the Union during the war of the rebellion, William A. serving in Co. A, 28th W. V. I. three years, and Franklin Co. in Wisconsin Battery; both were honorably discharge at the close of the war; the daughter, M. Josephine, is the wife of F. A. Canwright, who was a soldier in the 24th W. V. I. for four years; by Mr. Maynard's present wife the children are Desdemona, Waldo D., Raymond K., Theda, Lilly B., Hazen W., Nathan F. B. and Sherman N. Mr. M. owns 114 acres of land; politically he acts with the Republican party; is a member of the M. E. Church.

GEORGE MUNTZ, farmer, Sec. 16; P. O. Pewaukee; is a native of Wurtemburg, Germany; was born April 6, 1 830; in 1855 he came to this country and settled in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., where he has since resided. Mr. Muntz has been married three times; his first wife was Caroline Sultenham; second wife Gertrude Tich; his present wife was Minnie Weidenhaft; his children are August, Katie, Bertha, Mena, Eddie, Huldah, George, Theodore, Oscar and Herman; all of the children live in Pewaukee except the two oldest, August and Katie, who are in California. Mr. Muntz owns 75 acres of land, well improved.

P. D. MURREY, farmer, Sec. 35; P. O. Waukesha; was born in County Longford, Ireland, in the year 1799; he came to this country in 1822; lived ten years in the city of Buffalo, N. Y.; at the breaking-out of the Black Hawk war, he entered the employ of the Government; in 1835, he came to Milwaukee, Wis. Married, in Milwaukee County, in 1840, Miss Mary A. Malone; they resided in Milwaukee County until 1854, when they came to this (Waukesha) county, and have made their home in the town of Pewaukee the greater portion of the time since; their children are James, now at Appleton, Wis.; he married in Waukesha, Sarah O'Connor; William P. married Mary A. Hutchinson; they live in this town (Pewaukee), where he is extensively engaged in farming. Mr. Murrey is one of the pioneer settlers of the Northwest, and has been identified with its growth, step by step. He is now spending his declining years in that peace and prosperity which an upright life alone insures.

JOHN PARKER, farmer, Sec. 18; P. O. Pewaukee; was born in Lincolnshire, England, Aug. 2, 1827. He married in his native country, Elizabeth Coy; they came to this country in 1850; lived in Wisconsin one year; then went to Lockport, Ills., where she died Jan. 27, 1852; after which he returned to Wisconsin and lived in Waukesha until 1858, in which year he moved to Pewaukee, where he has since resided; his present wife was Elizabeth McCarty; by his first marriage there were two children, one of whom is living, William, proprietor of a restaurant in Pewaukee; by his second marriage there are seven children-Mary J., Ellen E., John, Charles, Katie and Frank. Mr. Parker owns 145 acres of land, finely improved.

ALEXANDER PARSONS, Pewaukee; was born in St. Edwards, Canada, Aug. 7, 1843; in 1858 he came to Waukesha Co., Wis.; lived in Pewaukee about one year, at the end of which he went to Oconto, thence to Depere, Brown Co., where he enlisted in Co. F., 14th W. V. I., which was mustered into the United States service in January, 1862, and departed from Camp Wood, Fond du Lac, under command of Col. David E. Wood, for St. Louis, M., March 8, 1862, and served in the Western division most of the time until mustered out of the service; he participated in the battles of Shiloh, Iuka, Corinth; in the latter he was severely wounded, unfitting him for active service; he was also wounded at Shiloh, and had taken part in several skirmishes; after being honorably discharged from the service of his country he returned to Wisconsin and lived in Pewaukee about two years; then went to Omaha, Neb., and was in various places in the Western States and Territories until about 1870, in which year he returned to Pewaukee, where he has since lived. He married, in Pewaukee, Miss Addie King; they have six children.

GEORGE P. PEFFER, Proprietor of the Pewaukee Fruit Farm and Nursery; was born in the Village of Hina, near Landau, New Bavaria, in 1821. In 1835, he emigrated with his parents, George and Frances Peffer, to the City of New York; thence to Erie County, Penn., where he learned the carpenter's trade. IN 1841, he came West, worked at his trade in Milwaukee a short time, then came to Waukesha, this county, where he worked until 1842, in which year he came to Pewaukee, which has been his home since. Nov. 21, 1845, he married in Milwaukee, Amelia Bronnenkent; she was born in Baden, Germany, Sept. 15, 1824. Their children were eleven, nine of whom are living, viz.: Justine, Josephine, Catherine, George W., Joseph A., Amelia A., Clara E., Ellen M., and Charles F. The deceased were George H. and Mary. Mr. Peffer's Fruit and Nursery Farm contains 162 acres, and is one of the first fruit-growing and nursery farms in Waukesha County, and contains every variety of ornamental and fruit trees that will thrive in this portion of Wisconsin. He has done much for the improvement of the Town of Pewaukee, and is one of her most enterprising citizens.

HENRY O. PUTNEY, farmer, Sec. 36; P. O. Waukesha; was born in this town (Pewaukee) June 14, 1839. His parents were Aaron S. and Sarah A. Putney, now deceased, who settled where he Now lives, in about 1838, and were honored citizens of Waukesha County during their lives, he for several years being in the mercantile business in Waukesha. Henry O. Putney has been twice married, his first wife was Mariette, daughter of George C. and Nancy Alexander; she died in Pewaukee. His present wife was Ella M., daughter of George A. and Mary Love, pioneer settlers of Genesee, this county, where she was born. By first marriage there were five children-Hattie A., Nettie, Nellie, Henry O. and George Sydney. Mr. Putney owns 140 acres of land. He has resided in Waukesha County since his birth, with the exception of four years, when he resided in Rock Co., Wis. He is a leading and enterprising citizen, and takes a due interest in the progress of the county.

THOMAS QUINLAN, proprietor of general blacksmith shop, also manufacturer of light and heavy carriages, wagons, etc., Pewaukee, was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, in the year 1838; he learned the blacksmith trade in his native country. In 1860, he came to this country; came to Waukesha County, Wis.; the same year, and has continued to be a resident of the county since. He married, in Waukesha, Miss Annie Coleman, daughter of Michael Coleman, and early settler of that village. They have four children-Charlie, Thomas, William and John. Mr. Quinlan was a member of the first village board of trustees elected in Pewaukee, and is a member of the board at present writing. He has now been engaged in general blacksmithing, carriage and wagon making, in Pewaukee, several years. He is a master mechanic, thoroughly understanding his business, and thereby has built up a large and constantly increasing trade.

E. RIFORD, farmer, P. O., Pewaukee; was born in this town (Pewaukee), Feb. 28, 1843. His parents were Seth and Phoebe Riford, who came to Wisconsin in 1837, settling in Pewaukee, where they resided until their deaths, which occurred, his in 1875, and hers in 1876. He married, at Oconomowoc, this county, Elizabeth Smith, daughter of Henry and Maria J. Smith, who were pioneer settlers of Waukesha County. She was born in Pewaukee. They have three children-Nettie, Hattie and Mary B. Mr. Riford is engaged in farming, and is an active, go-ahead young man, very enterprising.

GEORGE ROBERTS, farmer, Sec. 17; P. O. Pewaukee, was born in Lincolnshire, England, June 3, 1825; came to this country in 1852; lived in Lisbon, this county, until 1855, then came to Pewaukee, where he owns, in connection with Joseph Cooper, 202 acres of finely improved land.

JOHN ROSS, Pewaukee, is a native of Scotland, was born June 30, 1841. In 1842, his parents, Daniel and Catherine Ross, emigrated to this country; lived in Akron, Ohio, until 1844, when they came to Wisconsin, located in the town of Delafield, Waukesha Co., residing there until the following year, when they moved to Pewaukee, where she died shortly afterward, and he in 1865. Their children are John, Catherine, now wife of I. S. Redford, of Menomonee, this county, and Elizabeth, now deceased. The oldest of these children, John Ross, has resided in this county since his parents' coming. During the war of the rebellion, he served in Co. F, 5th W. V. I., enlisted at Waukesha, in 1861, mustered into the service at Madison, served until May, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. A few months prior to his being discharged, he was transferred from Co. F, 5th Reg., to Co. G, 52d Wis. Reg., and made Second Lieutenant, being discharged as such. He participated in many severe engagements, the principal ones being-Yorktown, Williamsburg, front of Richmond, 7 days, Manassas, Crampton's Gap, Antietam, Fredericksburg (twice), Gettysburg, Hagerstown, Rappahannock Bridge and the battle of the Wilderness, where he was severely wounded, on the 5th of May, 1864; he was also wounded at Fredericksburg No. 2. In 1871, he went to California, and was in the employ of different railroad companies in a survey party through California and some of the Territories, until September, 1876, when he returned to this county, Oct. 10, 1876. He married, in Pewaukee, Miss Clara A., daughter of the Hon. George Cairncross, of Lisbon, this county. They have two children-Floyd and Amy. Mr. Ross is the present Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors. He is extensively engaged in the manufacture of lime, which business he has been engaged in several years; is an energetic business man, and an enterprising, public-spirited citizen.

JOSEPH SCHAFFER, farmer; Sec. 13; P. O. Duplainville; was born near Stuttgart, the capital of Wurtemburg, Germany, on the 28th of May, 1839. In 1847 he came with his parents, John and Margaret Schaffer, to this county, and settled in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha County, Wis., thus becoming early settlers. He was married in Pewaukee to Miss Minnie Busse, daughter of Samuel Busse; they have six children, Caroline, John, Willie, Emma, Sarah and Samuel. Mr. Schaffer has been a resident of the town of Pewaukee since 1847, with the exception of five or six years he spent in California. He owns, 80 acres of land, finely improved; his father died in 1876; his mother is still living.

THOMAS SHIELDS, farmer; Pewaukee; is a native of County Tipperary, Ireland; was born near the town of that name in 1826. He emigrated to this country in 1850, and has been a resident of Waukesha County, Wis., since that time, with the exception of about four years. He was married in the city of Waukesha to Mary A. Nash; they have eight children living, John, Thomas, William, Joseph, Mary A., Johanna, Ellen, Margaret, and Eliza. He has been a resident of Pewaukee over 25 years; has been a member of the Village Council since its organization; owns 130 acres of land, over 70 of its being within the village corporation; his farm is nicely improved; he is an active, go-ahead citizen, and one who always has worked for the advancement of the public interests of Pewaukee.

AMOS SMITH (deceased), was a native of Oswego County, N.Y. He was married in Livingston County to Mary Frazier, a native of that place; they came to Waukesha County, Wis., in about 1846, and in 1849 he went to California, remaining their two years; he afterward went to Pike's Peak. On his return from the latter place, he engaged in manufacturing and was a most energetic and enterprising citizen, taking an active part in the progress and development of the interests of Waukesha County. He was accidentally drown in Pewaukee Lake; his death was heard with sadness; he was an open-hearted, generous man; he loved his friends and loved to show, in some natural way, his regard for them. His wife is now living in Pewaukee, a most estimable woman. Their children are John and Luke, in Oregon, Henry in St. Paul, Minn., and Mary J., wife of J. Fields.

C. P. SMITH, editor of Pewaukee Standard; was born in Armada, McComb Co., Mich., Aug. 2, 1842. During the war of the rebellion he enlisted at Belle Plain, Minn., in Co. A, 4th W. V. I.; served three years and eight months; was honorably discharged at Detroit, Mich.; was in several engagements, among them being Corinth, Iuka and Vicksburg. He married in 1 865, Miss Annie Holland. As an editor he stands among the first of the profession, and is held in high esteem as a citizen. He is a man of studious habits, of positive convictions and great energy, and, for what he believes to be right, will stand against the world.

ISAAC B. SMITH, farmer, Sec. 18; P. O. Pewaukee; was born in Bradwell, Oxfordshire, Eng., Dec. 25, 1822. In 1831, he came to this country in company with his father and two brothers, and lived in the State of New York until 1840, in which year he came to Wisconsin, and entered the farm he now resides on; April 28, 1849, he married, in the town of Lisbon, this (Waukesha) County, Jeannette Small, eldest daughter of John and Isabel Small, pioneer settlers of the town of Lisbon; she was born in Perthshire, Scotland. They have eight children: Helen E., wife of Dr. J. W. Cancross, a leading physician at Mukwonago, this county; Albert W., teacher, at Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County; George E., teacher, at Merton, this county; Belle and Kittie J., teachers, Wauwatosa; Jennie M., Alsie and Nettie M., attending school. Mr. Smith takes an active interest in religious and educational matters, and has, for a number of years, been a leading member of the Baptist Church. He owns a finely located and well-improved farm.

GEORGE W. STEELE, carriage and wagon manufacturer, Pewaukee; was born in Lennox, Madison Co., N. Y., Aug. 7, 1837; came to Waukesha County in 1855; he has been twice married, first in Lisbon, Kendall Co., Ill., to Mary E. Wilcox, a native of that place; born July 24, 1840, and daughter of H. G. Wilcox, Esq., a pioneer settler of Kendall Co., and now one of her most prominent citizens. They were married in 1876. She died in Pewaukee, April 14, 1873; one child by this marriage-Albert, born in Lisbon, Ill. Dec. 5, 1877, Mr. Steele married his present wife, Ellen Curran; she was born in Brookfield, Waukesha Co., Wis., April 2, 1851, and was the daughter of Robert and Chloe Curran, pioneer settlers of Brookfield, and now respected citizens of Waukesha, where they moved in 18 76. Mr. Steele and wife are members of the Congregational Church. They have one child-Edna, born in Pewaukee. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.; has been engaged in carriage and wagon making in Pewaukee since 1864; does good work, and consequently has been successful in business. He is a liberal and enterprising citizen.

WILLIS A. STEELE, Pewaukee; was born in Simsburg, now Canton, Hartford Co., Ct., Jan. 9, 1799, where he remained until he was 8 years of age, then moved with his parents, Jesse and Luceria Steele, to New Hartford, Litchfield Co., Ct., there remaining until 1822, when he went to Lenox, Madison Co., N. Y., where he married, on the 11th of July, 1836, Sophia Botsford, a native of Vernon, N. Y.; born June 4, 1807; she died in Lenox, May 27, 1845; one child, George W., now of Pewaukee, April 6, 1848. Mr. Steele married his second wife, Zeura McNeil; they came to Wisconsin in 1855, settling in Menomonee, Waukesha Co.; moved thence to Wauwatosa, Milwaukee Co., where they lived until 1864, when they came to Pewaukee, where she died March 31, 1879. One daughter living, Clarissa, wife of E. Gifford, Hennepin Co., Minn. Mr. Steele was a Captain in a company of New York State Militia several years. Has filled various local offices, and is a leading member of the Congregational Church. WILLIAM TAYLOR, farmer, Sec. 6; P. O., Pewaukee; was born in Yorkshire, England, Dec. 18, 1801. He married in England, Barbara Cabstic; they emigrated to America in 1845, settled where they now reside, thus becoming early settlers of Pewaukee. Their children are Emma, wife of Wm. Taylor, New Lisbon, Juneau Co., Wis.; John, manager of farm; Sarah, wife of William Steele, Lisbon, this county; Rachel G., George and Mary. Mr. Taylor owns 220 acres of land. His farm is well improved, and well adapted to farming and stock-raising.

HON. WILLIAM H. THOMAS, District Attorney, Pewaukee; was born in Clinton Co., N. Y., Sept. 25, 1821. In early life received a liberal education, came to Wisconsin in 1838, and has resided in Waukesha Co. since. He was a member of the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature in 1846, and was a member of the State Assembly in 1849 and 1861; was elected District Attorney in 1879. During the war of the rebellion, Mr. Thomas served as a Captain in the 3d W. V. C. He is in the active practice of law; is a well-read lawyer, and has but few superiors in the management of law cases, and presents his cases to a jury with great energy and effectiveness. RUSSEL WAITE, farmer, Pewaukee; is a native of Solon, Cortland Co., N. Y.; was born May 4, 1818; when he was 18 years of age he went to Honesdale, Penn., where he learned the carpenter's and joiner's trade; continued it at that place until 1840, when he went to Ohio; worked at his trade in various towns in that State, then went to Natchez, Miss., where he remained but a short time; in 1842 he came to Wisconsin, located in Elk Grove, Lafayette County, where he married on the 4th of May, 1848, Elizabeth Small, a native of Perthshire, Scotland, born near the city of Perth Aug. 16, 1828, and immigrated with her parents, John and Isabell Small, to the town of Lisbon, Waukesha Co., Wis., in 1841. They have had seven children; Ira W., married Josephine Jerenson in Dodge Co., Wis.; they reside in Eagle, this county; John J., lives in Exeter, Neb.; Isabel E., dead; Lizzie M.; Amy, deceased; Lina, William R. Mr. Waite went to California in 1851, remaining there until 1853; then returned to Wisconsin, lived in the town of Lisbon, this county, until 1875, when he removed to the village of Pewaukee, where he has since resided. He owns a pleasantly located farm on Secs. 5 and 8, town of Pewaukee; is at the present time Treasurer of Pewaukee, and is active in public affairs.

HON. WILLIAM HENRY WASHBURN was born in Canadaigua, N. Y., June 15, 1842; his parents removed the same year to Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., where he received a liberal education. Feb. 1, 1871, he married in Appleton, Wis., Miss C. Heath, daughter of J. N. Heath, a pioneer settler of Pewaukee, and now a resident of Appleton; they have one son, Holland F. During the war of the rebellion Mr. Washburn enlisted as a private in Co. G, 28th W. V. I.; served in the Western army about one year, and was discharged on account of sickness. He spent three years in California (1864-66); was a Supervisor of the town of Pewaukee in 1868; one year in Europe (1874). He was elected to the Wisconsin Assembly in 1879, a position he filled with credit to himself and honor to the State.

REV. JAMES H. WATERMAN, Pewaukee; was born in the town of Lee, Oneida Co., N. Y., where he attended the district schools for several years; afterwards attended the High School at Rome, N. Y.; completed his education at the Casenovia Institute, in Casenovia, Madison Co., N. Y.; in 1839, he engaged in manufacturing in Annsville, N. Y., and continued therein until 1842, when he came to Wisconsin and located where he now lives; after his coming to Wisconsin, he was ordained a minister of the congregational Church; had pastoral charge of that church at Pewaukee about eight years, and has been Secretary of the church for a period of over a quarter of a century. He married Miss Mary M., daughter of Nathaniel and Permelia Goss, who were early settlers of Pewaukee; she was born in Greenland, N. H.; they have three children living-Martha S., wife of Charles G. Law, of Milwaukee; Charles W., of Neosho Falls, Kan., and Frank S., at home. Mr. Waterman has been elected to various local offices; he owns 108 acres of land in Sec. 5, finely located and well improved, and adjacent to the village of Pewaukee, and lake of that name.

STEPHEN WEAVER, Pewaukee; was born in County Sussex, England, June 25, 1810; in 1830, he emigrated to Oneida Co., N. Y.; moved thence to Kingsbury, Broome Co., N. Y., where he married his first wife, Elizabeth Maxon, a native of Delaware Co., N. Y.; she died in Oneida Co., N. Y., in December, 1832; his second wife was Phoebe Maxon; he married here in Delaware Co.; after their marriage, they lived in Chenango Co., N. Y., until 1855, in which year they came to Wisconsin and located in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., where they have resided the greater part of the time since; their children are four living, viz.: Martin, he married Adeline Bartlett; Alson M., married Jane Smith; Mary S., wife of James Moyes; James B., married Lucinda M. Pratt. Mr. Weaver learned the blacksmith trade in early life, and continued in it many years; he came to Wisconsin in 1837, but remained at that time only a few months; he owns valuable property in and around Pewaukee; himself and wife are leading members of the M. E. Church; his home is most pleasantly located.

JOSEPH WHITE of the firm of Joseph White & Son, contractors and builders, also manufacturers of medicine cases, Pewaukee; was born in the town of Perth, Canada; his parents, Joseph and Mary White, were natives of Edinburgh, Scotland; moved to Lockport, N. Y., where Joseph remained until be was ten years of age; he then came to Milwaukee, Wis., where be lived about three years; at the end of that time he came to Waukesha Co., learned the carpenter and joiner’s trade, in the city of Waukesha; lived in the town of Lisbon (where he had married Eliza Greengo, daughter of Jesse and Mary Greengo, pioneer settlers of that town) most of the time until 1862, when he went East, and enlisted in Lockport, N. Y., in the 23d Independent N. Y. Battery, in which he served until the summer of 1865, when he was honorably discharged; after his discharge, he worked as pattern maker in a manufacturing shop in Lockport, N. Y., until 1871, then went to Chicago, Ill., where he lived until 1876, when he moved to Pewaukee, and since that time has been engaged in building, etc., and has built up an extensive business. Their children are – Jesse, who is in partnership with William in business; Mary, Addie, Fannie, Lizzie, Kittie, Charlie, Hattie and Ernest. The firm Joseph White & Son is a leading one in their line in Pewaukee.

JAMES WILDISH, retired farmer, Pewaukee; was born in County Kent, England, Oct. 17, 1816. In 1842, he remarried in his native country, Eliza Potter; she was born in County Kent, England, in 1822; they immigrated to Oneida Co. N. Y., in the spring of 1843, and in the autumn of the same year, came to Wisconsin, and settled in Sec. 1, town of Libson, Waukesha Co., where he entered 160 acres of land; they resided in Lisbon several years, then purchased a farm of 280 acres in the town of Pewaukee, where he moved and lived on his farm until 1867; about which time he sold his lands and moved to the village of Pewaukee, which has been his home the greater part of the time since. Their children are – George, born in North Libson, April 27, 1844; being the first white child born in that portion of Lisbon; he is now attorney at law, and President of the Hamilton County Bank, Hamilton, Neb.; James, born in Libson, in 1846; now a farmer, in Andrew Co. Mo.; Myron, born in 1857, now attending school at the State University, Madison. In 1867, Mr. Wildish engaged in the lumber business, being the first to engage in that business in Pewaukee.

J. W. WILKINS an enterprising farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 3l; P. O. Waukesha; was born in Pittsburg, Penn., Aug. 2, 1848; be came to Wisconsin in 1871; lived in the city of Waukesha, until about 1873, when he moved into the town of Pewaukee, where he married, in January, 1876, Fannie Kendall, a native of London, England; they have had two children, viz., Edmund R., and Joseph W.; the oldest of these children (Edmund R.,) is now deceased. Mr. W. is a member of the Town Board of Supervisors; he owns 160 acres of land; he is extensively engaged in farming and stock-raising, and has on his farm every facility for being eminently successful in the business; his farm is pleasantly situated, and finely improved.

MARSHALL WILSON, Pewaukee; was born in Warren Co., Penn., in 1837; his parents, Abram C. and Samantha Wilson, moved to Ashtabula Co., Ohio, when Marshall was in the 7th year of his age; thence to Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., in 1846, thus becoming early settlers; he was elected to various local offices, and took an active part in public affairs until his death, in 1858; she is still living in Pewaukee, at the advanced age of 74 years. In 1861, Marshall Wilson married in Pewaukee, Isabella Currie, a native of Caledonia, N. Y., and a daughter of Dr. Currie, a leading physician; they have two children, Nettie and Dora. In 1862, Mr. Wilson moved to Minnesota; returned to Pewaukee in 1863, and entered the United States service in the Quartermaster's department, serving until the autumn of 1865; he has been elected to various offices. and has discharged the duties of every position be has filled with general satisfaction to the citizens; himself and wife are members of the Congregational Church. Mr. W. has followed the carpenter and joiner's trade now for about twenty years; he does a large business in contracting and building.

REV. W. H. WINDOW, born in Abergavenny, England, Jan. 7, 1814; his parents were members of the first Wesleyan class formed in that borough; received a liberal education, read medicine in that country and emigrated in 1882. In 1833 was married to Miss Eleanor L. Saunders; in 1884 entered the regular ministry of the M. E. Church, at the Mount Carmel Conference, and was appointed to the Rushville Circuit, Illinois; thence to Jacksonville, thence to Rushville, thence to Quincy, thence to Macomb, where, during his pastorate, the leading physician, Dr. Thompson, dying, he was called to minister to the sick on account of the great scarcity of physicians at that early day; he furnished a supply for his pulpit, and devoted his whole time to the practice of medicine, and at the ensuing annual conference asked and received a location. In 1867 he removed to Wisconsin and supplied the Lowel charge; was, in 1868, re-admitted into the annual conference and appointed to Randolf; then to Fond du Lac, then to Waupun, then to Allen's Grove, then to Watertown, and last to Shopiere, where, being seized with hemorrhage of the lungs, he was compelled to retire from the regular ministry; he was ordained Deacon by the venerable Bishop Joshua Soule, and Elder by Bishop Thomas A. Morris; in 1839, in company with the late Dr. George Peck, he dedicated the first M. E. Church in the village of Stephenson, now the city of Rock Island. In 1838 he was called to mourn the loss of his wife. whose last words were, “Come, Lord Jesus;” one of her children survives, Thomas J. Window, of Littleton, Ill., now doing a large business in stock. In 1839 he was married to Miss Rebecca G. Little, of Rushville, Ill., by whom he has five children – Emma, now Mrs. Parrott, whose husband, Thomas P. Parrot, is largely engaged in stock-raising; William H., in business in Rushville; Winnie R., now wife of Prof. A. G. Gibbs, of the same city; Susan, now Mrs. Van Horn, of Allen's Grove, Wis., and Arthur J., who is carrying on a successful drug business in Pewaukee, Wis., where father and mother now reside, and all are members of the M. E. Church.

A. J. WINDOW, of the firm of W. H. Window & Son, druggists, Pewaukee, was born in Littleton, Schuyler Co., Ill., Feb. 25, 1826; was educated at the Lawrence University, Appleton, Wis., and graduated in chemistry in Knox College, Galesburg, Ill.; has been engaged in the drug business in Pewaukee since 1876. His father, the Rev. W. H. Window, has been a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church for over half a century. They keep a full stock of pure drugs. perfumery and fancy goods, and in fact everything that comprises the stock of a first-class drug store, they are doing a lucrative business, and enjoys the great respect and esteem of a widening circle of friends and patrons.

WRIGHT WOOD, farmer, Sec. 8; P. O. Pewaukee; was born in Lancashire, England, Aug. 12, 1816; came to this country in 1842; settled in the town of Pewaukee, Waukesha Co., Wis., where he married, in 1847, Harriet Branch, a native of Surrey, England; she was born in 1826, and was the daughter of William and Philly Branch, both natives of Surrey, England, who settled in the town of Pewaukee in 1844, and were known as respected citizens; both are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Wright are members of the M. E. Church; their surviving children are Deborah A., wife of Eph. Beaumont; Sarah S., wife of John Williams; Thomas, William, George and Lizzie. Mr. Wright owns a finely improved and valuable farm, finely located a short distance from the Village of Pewaukee, and overlooking a lake of that name. His parents, James and Ann Wood, were natives of England; she died in her native country, and he came to this country in 1855, and lived in Pewaukee until his death in 1867. As will be seen by the date of settlement above, Mr. Wood and wife are early settlers of Pewaukee, and have kept pace with her industries and improvements.


Home Page | What's New Blog! | Deaths and Obituaries | Births and Marriages | Censuses and Directories | Business and Government | Military | Church and School | Charities and Organizations | Towns and Land Ownership | Immigration | Disasters and Mishaps | Contributors | Lookups | Photo Gallery | Links and Resources | Neighboring Counties

Disclaimer | Privacy Statement

PLEASE NOTE: I am not affiliated with any of the cemeteries or organizations listed on these pages. I am happy to answer general questions, but would not have more specific information other than what you see listed without doing additional research. If you need help with your research, please see the lookup page for a list of volunteers and paid services that can help.

This genealogy website maintained by Ellen M. Rohr
PO Box 1172
Brookfield, WI 53008-1172
Phone: 262-783-1620
Contact Ellen-
© 2011 Links To The Past

Please also visit the WIGenWeb State Website or Wisconsin County Pages